The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Captain America > Captain America: The Winter Soldier

View Poll Results: Rate the first Captain America trailer!
10 75 43.35%
9 58 33.53%
8 25 14.45%
7 10 5.78%
6 4 2.31%
5 0 0%
4 1 0.58%
3 0 0%
2 0 0%
1 0 0%
Voters: 173. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-27-2013, 07:37 PM   #226
Bryn
Side-Kick

Default Re: The CA:TWS Teaser Trailer (10/24/13) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SentinelMind View Post
I'm pretty impressed...I had low expectations going in, but the trailer gave me enough to look forward to...the 70's political thriller/80's low budget action flick nicely distinguishes it from rest of comic book industry pack. I haven't seen The Wolverine and have no interest in seeing Thor Dark World, but the writers seem to have put enough thought into this one. It looks better than Iron Man 2/3 and maybe Captain America surpass Man of Steel in quality (not expecting ticket sales). The trailer emphasizes Cap's innocence and integrity, but I'd like to see him deliver more meaningful dialogue. I give the trailer an 8.

I'm hoping for some strong dialogue, too. I hope they re-shoot the scene where he says "This isn't freedom. This is fear." with a bit more intensity. RDJ learned from Mel Gibson how to evoke emotion in a scene. I think Chris could learn some intensity from Mad Mel (in his own way) and bring some grit to his convictions.

BTW, I love your signature verses. Excellent!

Bryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 07:44 PM   #227
Spider-Fan
The First Avenger Mod!!!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryn View Post
I'm hoping for some strong dialogue, too. I hope they re-shoot the scene where he says "This isn't freedom. This is fear." with a bit more intensity. RDJ learned from Mel Gibson how to evoke emotion in a scene. I think Chris could learn some intensity from Mad Mel (in his own way) and bring some grit to his convictions.

They don't need to reshoot it. They more than likely filmed Evans saying that SEVERAL times in different ways (which is standard for films). The take in the trailer doesn't necessarily mean it will be the take used in the movie. Also, we don't necessarily know the "tone" of the scene, so he may be using appropriate intensity.

Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 08:16 PM   #228
the last son
Side-Kick

I wasn't impressed. Evans looked too comfortable in the role with little to no emotion and it looked like a generic action flick.

Old 10-27-2013, 09:02 PM   #229
Suzanne78
The Winter Smolder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
They don't need to reshoot it. They more than likely filmed Evans saying that SEVERAL times in different ways (which is standard for films). The take in the trailer doesn't necessarily mean it will be the take used in the movie. Also, we don't necessarily know the "tone" of the scene, so he may be using appropriate intensity.
Yeah… remember Stark's flip "Genius, billionaire, playboy, philanthropist," line in the Avenger's trailers, but the final cut of the movie his tone was substantially different, threatening almost.

Quote:
I wasn't impressed. Evans looked too comfortable in the role with little to no emotion and it looked like a generic action flick.
But a generic action flick with exploding helicarriers. And a dude that has wings???? I kid.

Man, I thought Evans seems to be embracing the that characterized Brubaker's run in the trailer footage. No sleepwalking there. Of course, all the Cap iconography that they managed to cram into the trailer does help!

For as much flack as people give Marvel that's a pretty freaking great group of filmmakers. Kind of feel spoiled."

--Chewy
Suzanne78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 04:28 AM   #230
SentinelMind
Banned User

Quote:
I agree...the only think this Cap needs is more stage presence in these movies. He is a captain, after all, right?

Quote:
Thanks!

SentinelMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:11 AM   #231
Isildur´s Heir
What are you looking at?

I liked the teaser better than i was expecting, even so, there are 3 things i didn't particularly liked.
First, i liked the all "Bourne" feel to it.
What i didn't liked:

- Captain America is almost always without the mask, even in action scenes. This is a Cap America movie and not Chris Evans as Captain American movie. This is a problem with Marvel movies, they are more interested in showing the actors than the characters they are portraying.

- The Avengers movie has a big action scene on the hellcarier, where it almost goes down....now they are doing it.....again?! Talking about lack of ideas....

- Black Widow. Honestly, i like Scarlett but, imo, she doesn't do a great job as BW, she does a serviceable job at best. But that is not even the problem, the problem is that the second Cap movie should about Cap alone, and not with a "sidekick".

As for the rest, i'm not to fond of of the all Winter Soldier storyline for the second movie, i find it all too soon, it should be about Steve Rogers and his place on this new reality and not about the "return of Bucky".
Also, i find that the Falcon should have been put aside for a 3rd movie or so, at best, put Sam Wilson minus the Falcon.

But all in all, i give it an 8. The teaser looks good...but so did the teaser for Iron Man 3.

Old 10-28-2013, 10:41 AM   #232
Loki882
Side-Kick

I get a little tired of the whole "they aren't wearing masks" complaint. First of all, this is a movie, not the comics. The audience wants to see the heroes face. Second, it looks like a lot of the action scenes involve Cap getting attacked by surprised, so of course he's not wearing a mask. Third, Cap's identity as Steve Rogers may very well be public knowledge at this point (it is in the comics and we know that he visits a Captain America museum at some point in the film).

The Helicarrier crashing is a common trope in Marvel comics to show the gravity of the threat. If you don't like it, this might not be the film for you. Also, this is different from the Avengers since in that movie, the Helicarrier DIDN'T actually crash, it was merely badly damaged. This Helicarrier crashes into DC.

As for Scarjo, I just flat out don't agree with you about her performance. BW is my favorite female Marvel character and I love Scarjo's portrayal of her.

This movie WILL explore Steve's place in the modern world. That's all over the trailer. And his past coming back to haunt him plays into that. BW and Falcon do as well since their modern-day beliefs and cynicism clash with Cap's old-fashioned idealism.

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:57 AM   #233
Silvermoon
Made To Be Ruled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
I get a little tired of the whole "they aren't wearing masks" complaint. First of all, this is a movie, not the comics. The audience wants to see the heroes face. Second, it looks like a lot of the action scenes involve Cap getting attacked by surprised, so of course he's not wearing a mask. Third, Cap's identity as Steve Rogers may very well be public knowledge at this point (it is in the comics and we know that he visits a Captain America museum at some point in the film).
To add to this, there's also the point that... for at least some of the movie... he's wearing the uniform that is based on, what I believe, is the "Commander Rogers" SHIELD uniform from the comics (not a comic reader, but I've seen images online) and I don't believe that uniform has a mask as a part of it. If that's the case, than for that particular uniform, they're staying true to the comics by not having him wearing a mask with it.

~Agents of SHIELD
Silvermoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:00 AM   #234
Suzanne78
The Winter Smolder

Quote:

The Helicarrier crashing is a common trope in Marvel comics to show the gravity of the threat. If you don't like it, this might not be the film for you. Also, this is different from the Avengers since in that movie, the Helicarrier DIDN'T actually crash, it was merely badly damaged. This Helicarrier crashes into DC.

As for Scarjo, I just flat out don't agree with you about her performance. BW is my favorite female Marvel character and I love Scarjo's portrayal of her.

This movie WILL explore Steve's place in the modern world. That's all over the trailer. And his past coming back to haunt him plays into that. BW and Falcon do as well since their modern-day beliefs and cynicism clash with Cap's old-fashioned idealism.
I also think, to a certain degree much of Steve's Man Out Of Time story was covered in The Avengers. Focusing his sequel too much on that aspect risks redundancy, especially if you don't introduce something from his past that haunts him. That's the whole idea of The Winter Soldier story; just when Rogers thinks he can live in the 21st century, the past comes back to bite him in a very personal way.

I'm joining you with the ScarJo love. I think she makes a wonderful BW.

Ditto on the mask sentiment. As this is a movie, I think masks should be used carefully. I actually do love that the costume changes Steve appears to go through in this movie are dictated by storyline progression, so it's very deliberate on the filmmakers' part.

For as much flack as people give Marvel that's a pretty freaking great group of filmmakers. Kind of feel spoiled."

--Chewy
Old 10-28-2013, 11:10 AM   #235
Isildur´s Heir
What are you looking at?

Quote:
Nolan's Batman say hi.
Here is a trilogy where, when in action, he never takes the cowl off.

Quote:
It's the same thing, action on the hellcarier. To crash or not too crash doesn't make it all different in the end.
But if we want to go there, the last Star Trek has U.S.S. Vengeance crashing.
So, the all "lack of ideas" still stands.

Quote:
Good for you.
Like i said, i like Scarlett, but i feel that doesn't make a great BW.
I blame more the way the character is written than Scarlett herself.
But the point was not that, the point is that she shouldn't be in the movie. Why can't there be a Marvel movie without more heroes thrown in the mix?

Quote:
It doesn't change my stance on it.
I find that is too damn early to introduce The Falcon and Winter Soldier.

Last edited by Isildur´s Heir; 10-28-2013 at 11:16 AM.
Isildur´s Heir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:24 AM   #236
Stringer
CHAMPS AGAIN!

Quote:

I think it's obvious that the scene isn't supposed to be as overstated as you want it to be. It just seems like they're having a discussion and Steve is just responding to what he's heard. Not every line needs to be dramatic and loud. This isn't the Stallone Judge Dredd movie.

"We dem lil bald headed b****es on the chessboard"- Bodie Broadus
Stringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:26 AM   #237
Whiskey Tango
1964 ~ 2014

It's a good thing this guy isn't in charge. "They shouldn't ever takes their masks off because Chris Nolan". Please.

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Whiskey Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:40 AM   #238
Suzanne78
The Winter Smolder

Yeah… uh, the whole thing with Batman is if he takes his mask off, his identity would be exposed. So he kind of has to fight with the mask on, ya dig?

Cap's identity, indeed the identity of the Marvel heroes, isn't really ever secret, save for Peter Parker. It's all pretty much public knowledge. So the mask thing is different for the purposes of the movies.

I do feel that BW is important to telling Winter Soldier's backstory; she'll probably provide some exposition to Steve in that regard, or they might show flashbacks, etc… Also, Widow's inclusion, as well as Falcon, gives Steve even more people to play off of in regards to his old-fashioned perspective vs. their modern day cynicism.

Also, I've stated in other threads, Widow is the most prominent female character in the MCU. It's criminal that she hasn't gotten her own movie, but this is a way to continue to develop her character, to develop Cap's story, and to market the movie to females. Females make up a very significant percentage of Marvel's audience, though they have yet to capitalize on this popularity by giving their female superheroes their own solo movie. Marvel is wise to use Widow's popularity as a draw in this respect.

--Chewy

Last edited by Suzanne78; 10-28-2013 at 11:45 AM.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:53 AM   #239
ThePowerCosmic
You are hailing!

I saw Cap fighting with his mask off in this trailer during his fight with WS in civilian clothing and the elevator brawl. Oh, and the chase with WS, if that counts. In both WS scenarios, it looked like he was in too much of a hurry to suit up and/or just caught completely off guard. And in the elevator brawl, it's not like he expected that to happen before he got on. Soldiers don't wear their helmets 24/7, and he doesn't carry it around with him everywhere he goes. Keep in mind that his helmet doubles as his mask in this movie.

Also, Widow is cool, but I'm not too interested in a solo movie about her.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
ThePowerCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 12:06 PM   #240
Suzanne78
The Winter Smolder

See, I wasn't interested in a Cap or Guardians film prior to the announcement about them, but then when they started production, Guardians in particular, that's when my excitement started to ramp up. For Guardians, it was when they announced James Gunn as the director. Then they cast Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana, etc. Now Guardians is tied for movie I'm most excited about next year, right along with CA:TWS.

Alot of it, for me, depends on who they'd get to direct, their style and vision for Black Widow (or any hero, really), and the actors they'd cast for the project.

--Chewy
Old 10-28-2013, 12:17 PM   #241
Isildur´s Heir
What are you looking at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post
It's a good thing this guy isn't in charge. "They shouldn't ever takes their masks off because Chris Nolan". Please.
I agree, i'm glad i'm not in search.
Who wants a Captain America with Captain America?
The idea alone is preposterous...
I go to see a Captain America so i see Chris Evans running around

Old 10-28-2013, 12:42 PM   #242
Whiskey Tango
1964 ~ 2014

"They're not well-developed characters unless they have powers." - echostation
"They're not real characters unless they're wearing a mask." - Isildur´s Heir

I knew there was a reason I had this guy on ignore. Back to the Abyss with ye, never to return!

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Whiskey Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 01:07 PM   #243
TheWiseGuy487
Electrifying!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isildur´s Heir View Post
Comparing these two is like comparing apples and oranges.

Like someone said a couple posts back, in the MCU, his identity is pretty much widely known, as is his association with S.H.I.E.L.D., so the helmet's function to keep his real identity a secret isn't really needed in these movies. If anything, it's more of a symbolic (and sometimes practical) thing than anything else. And he doesn't really have anyone close to him that his lack of a secret identity would endanger, so wearing it or not doesn't really matter.

Batman, by the necessity of his mission, has to keep his other identity a secret, so one can work outside of the law and do all the dirty work, while the other can work as a philanthropist to help benefit the city financially and in other ways. Not to mention it's to keep others from using those closest to him to get to him.

You're completely missing the point.

5-.-2-.-14

TheWiseGuy487 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 01:16 PM   #244
Bren
Forevernoob

Captain America also happens to be Steve Rodgers, so I would also like to see him. Especially if that part of the movie requires Steve Rodgers.
I can't believe I'm so easy to please

Old 10-28-2013, 01:28 PM   #245
BoredGuy
Killing Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne78 View Post
See, I wasn't interested in a Cap or Guardians film prior to the announcement about them, but then when they started production, Guardians in particular, that's when my excitement started to ramp up. For Guardians, it was when they announced James Gunn as the director. Then they cast Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana, etc. Now Guardians is tied for movie I'm most excited about next year, right along with CA:TWS.

Alot of it, for me, depends on who they'd get to direct, their style and vision for Black Widow (or any hero, really), and the actors they'd cast for the project.
Personally, if the main star doesn't draw me in first, my interest checks out. They either have to be amazingly talented, or just a really out of the box choice. Scarlett doesn't do anything for me. Yes, she was good in Avengers, but that was largely because of Whedon. Without him, they would need a very talented director to make her charismatic enough to carry a film, as I usually find her very boring.

Then add in the fact that Widow has no notable villains and barely any supporting cast to speak of (outside of reusing SHIELD or other Cap characters) And I just have zero interest in a BW movie.

There are so many more interesting female characters Marvel could give there own film. Unfortunately, Fox owns a good deal of those most ripe for a solo (and they'll never do it).

Old 10-28-2013, 02:23 PM   #246
TheFBI
Side-Kick

If Spiderman swung around without his mask there would be issues. Steve was photographed, toured, went to fight and signed autographs during WW2 without a mask. Why would that suddenly change?

TheFBI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 02:59 PM   #247
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

I see no problems with Cap being without his mask now and then. It's just a look and nothing else, as his identity is well known. I'd say it goes even more for when they actually use a costume from the comics that doesn't have the mask.

Last edited by Mjölnir; 10-28-2013 at 03:08 PM.
Mjölnir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 06:37 PM   #248
Just one more
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isildur´s Heir View Post
Nolan's Bruce Wayne say Hi.

I went to see a Batman movie in TDKR and just got Christian Bale running around for most of it.

Just one more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:10 PM   #249
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just one more View Post
Nolan's Bruce Wayne say Hi.

I went to see a Batman movie in TDKR and just got Christian Bale running around for most of it.

You risk much for the truth friend. Zodspeed... And good luck.

He truly proved that every person has the potential to be a force for good in this life. So anyone that reads this, do me a favor... Call your parents.
KRYPTON INC. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 04:15 PM   #250
Human Torch
I Can't Dance

Had to give it a 6.Maybe a bit harsh,but little of it really got me excited about the film.

Cap being maskless virtually the entire time/The lousy gray costume.(I want to see Captain America,not Steve Rodgers: Agent of SHIELD.)

Falcon's costume being underwhelming.

No villain shots of Crossbones/Batroc.(Although I suppose I shouldn't get my hopes up that they will be in costume at all)

Winter Soldier looked cool,and I liked the opening gag about the barber shop quartet.

I'm sure there's some better stuff in the actual film,but I'll be honest,what I saw just didn't do it for me.