The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Captain America > Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2013, 12:29 PM   #876
Just_Human
Side-Kick
 
Just_Human's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,696
Default Re: Captain America 2: News and Speculation - Part 10

So is that Mandroid thingy the 1st step towards Ultron ?

Just_Human is offline  
Old 12-16-2013, 01:21 PM   #877
chamber-music
Hail Hydra
 
chamber-music's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 25,066
Default Re: Captain America 2: News and Speculation - Part 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullMcGiveny View Post
I don't think Marvel is or will ever be interested in making a movie with that kind of political statement.
Agreed. Marvel may play with the idea of making a political statement but ultimately their movies are fun popcorn flicks for the masses which is fine by me.

__________________
H.E
chamber-music is offline  
Old 12-16-2013, 02:13 PM   #878
Endeavor
Que bolá con el timbeque?
 
Endeavor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: FL
Posts: 6,298
Default Re: Captain America 2: News and Speculation - Part 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Human View Post
So is that Mandroid thingy the 1st step towards Ultron ?
I thought that was just a toy selling gimmick and not reflective of the actual movie.

__________________
"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."
-- Peter David
Endeavor is offline  
Old 12-16-2013, 03:15 PM   #879
Crimson King
Superhero Novelista
 
Crimson King's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,918
Default Re: Captain America 2: News and Speculation - Part 10

Wasn't there a plot leak before that mentioned Mandroid?

__________________
kingwrites.com // @kingmatte
Crimson King is offline  
Old 12-16-2013, 04:26 PM   #880
TRM
Banned User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 158
Default Re: Captain America 2: News and Speculation - Part 10

With what they've said about how Zola wants to live forever, I wouldn't be surprised if we actually do see some robots in the film. Not androids yet, but robots, or robots with human consciousness inside.

zola being in the movie means robots could definitely be a part of it. Maybe Fury even fakes people out with an LMD or something, Tony could already put his mind inside a suit, but can't permanently upload into it..
Zola is probably gonna have his robot body by the end of the film. He maybe froze himself or made himself half-cyborg to survive this long. With what the actor has said Zola for sure finds a way to live forever and makes it to the present with Winter Soldier.
I can see Zola fighting or being able to take control of them, and/or hopping from robot body to body and into the Mandroids if they're in the movie.


Last edited by TRM; 12-16-2013 at 04:29 PM.
TRM is offline  
Old 12-16-2013, 06:01 PM   #881
Endeavor
Que bolá con el timbeque?
 
Endeavor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: FL
Posts: 6,298
Default Re: Captain America 2: News and Speculation - Part 10

This movie is sure going to have a lot going on...

__________________
"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."
-- Peter David
Endeavor is offline  
Old 12-16-2013, 10:17 PM   #882
Ant-manic
Banned User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 4,017
Default Re: Captain America 2: News and Speculation - Part 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
But unless you start throwing anti-aging fixits around, a Namvet Nuke would be a white-haired government pensioner. If they bring the Nuke story in at all, it's almost certain that he'd be yet another Iraq/Afghanistan veteran.

Nuke doesn't age because he has artificial skin.

Ant-manic is offline  
Old 12-16-2013, 11:37 PM   #883
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson
 
cherokeesam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Cherokee, NC
Posts: 12,047
Default Re: Captain America 2: News and Speculation - Part 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullMcGiveny View Post
I don't think Marvel is or will ever be interested in making a movie with that kind of political statement.
IM1 and IM3 were definitely political, and made no attempt to veil their contempt for the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. And the Extremis soldiers, like Savin and Taggert, were US vets turned villains. And CATWS is about to ratchet up the anti-American government sentiment to whole new levels.

Marvel Studios hasn't shied away from politics, any more than Marvel Comics has.

__________________
THE COTTON AVENGERS

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline  
Old 12-16-2013, 11:43 PM   #884
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys
 
terry78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Northwest Indiana
Posts: 61,512
Default Re: Captain America 2: News and Speculation - Part 10

I do suspect if it's heavy handed about the message it'll be accused of having a very "liberal" slant.

__________________
The only thing funnier than watching stupid people argue is watching smart people argue.
-----------
Who the **** makes a movie and while planning it is like, "you know what this needs...is some Greg Kinnear."
terry78 is offline  
Old 12-16-2013, 11:50 PM   #885
Whiskey Tango
2008 ~ 2014
 
Whiskey Tango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: The South
Posts: 21,262
Default Re: Captain America 2: News and Speculation - Part 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
IM1 and IM3 were definitely political, and made no attempt to veil their contempt for the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. And the Extremis soldiers, like Savin and Taggert, were US vets turned villains. And CATWS is about to ratchet up the anti-American government sentiment to whole new levels.

Marvel Studios hasn't shied away from politics, any more than Marvel Comics has.
TIH didn't exactly portray the military as lovable and cuddly folk either.

__________________
Our life in this world...
to what shall I compare it?
It is like an echo
resounding through the mountains
and off into the empty sky.
- Ryōkan

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Whiskey Tango is offline  
Old 12-17-2013, 12:01 AM   #886
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson
 
cherokeesam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Cherokee, NC
Posts: 12,047
Default Re: Captain America 2: News and Speculation - Part 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
I do suspect if it's heavy handed about the message it'll be accused of having a very "liberal" slant.
The films already have more than a few such accusations. As do the comics. Which isn't surprising, considering that most of the Marvel writers over the years have been unapologetically liberal in their socio-political viewpoints.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post
TIH didn't exactly portray the military as lovable and cuddly folk either.
Yep. You can even extend the anti-government, anti-military slant even further to non-MS comic book films such as Ang Lee's Hulk, the entirety of the X-Men series, Man of Steel, Green Lantern, Silver Surfer.....it's a pretty common CBM cliche.

__________________
THE COTTON AVENGERS

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline  
Old 12-17-2013, 12:16 AM   #887
Raiden
Hunk of Junk Soars
 
Raiden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 25,478
Default Re: Captain America 2: News and Speculation - Part 10

I thought Marvel was already making some political statement by showing that SHIELD isn't this benign entity even though they're the world police in the first place, and TWS is going to push the envelope even further.

__________________
"I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." - Captain America
Raiden is offline  
Old 12-17-2013, 02:24 AM   #888
Just_Human
Side-Kick
 
Just_Human's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,696
Default Re: Captain America 2: News and Speculation - Part 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endeavor View Post
I thought that was just a toy selling gimmick and not reflective of the actual movie.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson King View Post
Wasn't there a plot leak before that mentioned Mandroid?
There was also an IM themed park in Asia (a few mothns after IM3) and there was art of IM fighting all kinds of robots and drones

Just_Human is offline  
Old 12-17-2013, 02:40 AM   #889
Loki882
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 11,361
Default Re: Captain America 2: News and Speculation - Part 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
The films already have more than a few such accusations. As do the comics. Which isn't surprising, considering that most of the Marvel writers over the years have been unapologetically liberal in their socio-political viewpoints.



Yep. You can even extend the anti-government, anti-military slant even further to non-MS comic book films such as Ang Lee's Hulk, the entirety of the X-Men series, Man of Steel, Green Lantern, Silver Surfer.....it's a pretty common CBM cliche.
Man of Steel wasn't anti-military. The military's actions made perfect sense in context and they played a key role in defeating the Kryptonians. Also, there were a couple of racist and bigoted military guys in the X-Men movies, but they're hardly anti-military.

Loki882 is offline  
Old 12-17-2013, 03:13 AM   #890
BullMcGiveny
Probably Disagree
 
BullMcGiveny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,464
Default Re: Captain America 2: News and Speculation - Part 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
IM1 and IM3 were definitely political, and made no attempt to veil their contempt for the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. And the Extremis soldiers, like Savin and Taggert, were US vets turned villains. And CATWS is about to ratchet up the anti-American government sentiment to whole new levels.

Marvel Studios hasn't shied away from politics, any more than Marvel Comics has.
Not really. In both instances, the military is portrayed neutrally if not favorably, while the real villain is some kind of corporate type (an always inoffensive choice).

Of the people inflicted with Extremis in IM3, only Taggart and that one soldier from Missouri are said to be soldiers, and neither of them is a real villain. Brandt and Savin's background is left unstated.

And you mention TIH, but in that, Ross isn't really a villain. An antagonist, sure, but one that comes to see reason, while the movie's outright villain is Russo-English.

Are some villains going to have a military background? Sure. But is their involvement to ongoing real world conflicts going to be a prominent facet of their arc? I doubt it.

As it is, even if we assume Savin and Brandt were ex-military, it still isn't a political statement.

BullMcGiveny is offline  
Old 12-17-2013, 08:35 AM   #891
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson
 
cherokeesam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Cherokee, NC
Posts: 12,047
Default Re: Captain America 2: News and Speculation - Part 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullMcGiveny View Post
Not really. In both instances, the military is portrayed neutrally if not favorably, while the real villain is some kind of corporate type (an always inoffensive choice).

Of the people inflicted with Extremis in IM3, only Taggart and that one soldier from Missouri are said to be soldiers, and neither of them is a real villain. Brandt and Savin's background is left unstated.

And you mention TIH, but in that, Ross isn't really a villain. An antagonist, sure, but one that comes to see reason, while the movie's outright villain is Russo-English.

Are some villains going to have a military background? Sure. But is their involvement to ongoing real world conflicts going to be a prominent facet of their arc? I doubt it.

As it is, even if we assume Savin and Brandt were ex-military, it still isn't a political statement.
The whole point of the Extremis project was that Killian was working with wounded warriors to heal them and make them better --- even better than before. It's almost a given that *all* of them are wounded vets.

And Black was definitely making a political statement throughout the whole film; the Extremis soldiers were part of that. Even if Black wasn't specifically saying "all veterans are psycho nutjobs," he certainly wasn't portraying any of them in a favorable light.

__________________
THE COTTON AVENGERS

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline  
Old 12-17-2013, 10:48 AM   #892
BullMcGiveny
Probably Disagree
 
BullMcGiveny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,464
Default Re: Captain America 2: News and Speculation - Part 10

Rhodey is the most prominent military figure in the film and he's portrayed favorably. Daves and Taggart are, at worst, two desperate men who got into more than they could handle and can't rightly be blamed for the deaths.

But putting that aside, I'm not picking up the political statement Black is making. Is there a plotpoint about the military screwing over injured veterans and therefore forcing them to turn to AIM? That would be a political statement.

But just having secondary and tertiary villains with a military background doesn't really qualify, which is why I specified them being linked to ongoing real life conflicts.

So I might put money on Rumlow alluding to service in the Marines before joining SHIELD, but I don't think Nuke, if he appears, will have service in the WOT be more than an incidental aspect of his background.

BullMcGiveny is offline  
Old 12-17-2013, 10:50 AM   #893
xeno000
Raining hell from above
 
xeno000's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Knowhere
Posts: 7,285
Default Re: Captain America 2: News and Speculation - Part 10

Some of the wounded vets used by Killian in Iron Man 3 were victims rather than villains. Chad Davis was used and abandoned to die. Taggert was supplied with drugs like a junkie and died as well. And there were others who lost their lives because Killian and Hansen preyed upon their desperation and manipulated them into agreeing to a treatment that they knew was deadly to many of their test subjects.

xeno000 is offline  
Old 12-17-2013, 04:51 PM   #894
Ant-manic
Banned User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 4,017
Default Re: Captain America 2: News and Speculation - Part 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
Some of the wounded vets used by Killian in Iron Man 3 were victims rather than villains. Chad Davis was used and abandoned to die. Taggert was supplied with drugs like a junkie and died as well. And there were others who lost their lives because Killian and Hansen preyed upon their desperation and manipulated them into agreeing to a treatment that they knew was deadly to many of their test subjects.
exactly. it was an evil semi-corporate entity taking advantage of injured vets. Rhodey was the balance. and he was given some impressive displays of skill; outside of the armor.

Ant-manic is offline  
Old 12-18-2013, 02:29 AM   #895
Dasher10
Side-Kick
 
Dasher10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,532
Default Re: Captain America 2: News and Speculation - Part 10

Why are we talking about 3 instead of TWS? Were there no spoilers or news to leak for the past few days?

Dasher10 is offline  
Old 12-18-2013, 09:55 AM   #896
HunBoy
Captain Hungary
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 486
Default Re: Captain America 2: News and Speculation - Part 10

"During the past two days, the source said actor Anthony Mackie (Falcon) was present for reshoots on Monday. Then, on Tuesday, Nick Fury and Maria Hill were filming a few scenes. Generally speaking, it sounds like post-production on the Cap sequel is moving along quite well since it doesn't need as much time in January for reshoots."



Last edited by HunBoy; 12-18-2013 at 11:25 AM.
HunBoy is offline  
Old 12-18-2013, 11:46 AM   #897
Hyde
Ooga-Chaka
 
Hyde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: South West, UK
Posts: 3,514
Default Re: Captain America 2: News and Speculation - Part 10

I really hope this movie is good.

__________________
Twitter: @Jasper_CH

I still believe in heroes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
"I tell ya, that Jennifer Lawrenshinch, I'd like to put my olive in her martini."
Hyde is offline  
Old 12-18-2013, 01:19 PM   #898
ThePowerCosmic
Air Lordin'
 
ThePowerCosmic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Hype, Superhero
Posts: 18,037
Default Re: Captain America 2: News and Speculation - Part 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRM View Post
With what they've said about how Zola wants to live forever, I wouldn't be surprised if we actually do see some robots in the film. Not androids yet, but robots, or robots with human consciousness inside.

zola being in the movie means robots could definitely be a part of it. Maybe Fury even fakes people out with an LMD or something, Tony could already put his mind inside a suit, but can't permanently upload into it..
Zola is probably gonna have his robot body by the end of the film. He maybe froze himself or made himself half-cyborg to survive this long. With what the actor has said Zola for sure finds a way to live forever and makes it to the present with Winter Soldier.
I can see Zola fighting or being able to take control of them, and/or hopping from robot body to body and into the Mandroids if they're in the movie.
I'm going to be disappointed if Zola only gets his robot body at the end. I'm expecting him to already be a robot the first time we see him on screen in this movie.

__________________
2015: Avengers: Age of Ultron, Star Wars: Episode VII, Daredevil, Ant-Man, AKA Jessica Jones
2016: Captain America: Civil War, Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, Suicide Squad, Doctor Strange, X-Men: Apocalypse, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Sinister 6, Deadpool, Gareth Edwards' Star Wars, Warcraft
ThePowerCosmic is offline  
Old 12-18-2013, 02:16 PM   #899
Webfoot Hero
Side-Kick
 
Webfoot Hero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Oregon
Posts: 6,100
Default Re: Captain America 2: News and Speculation - Part 10

I'm getting the feeling that the main scenes with Toby Jones as Zola will be sort of a flashback showing him experimenting on Bucky.

Webfoot Hero is offline  
Old 12-18-2013, 04:17 PM   #900
ctsketch
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,864
Default Re: Captain America 2: News and Speculation - Part 10

I think if Zola shows up it would be too much for the GA...I mean..Bucky and Steve being out of time is one thing but Zola too? too much convenience.

ctsketch is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:13 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.