The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Thor > Thor: The Dark World

Old 10-26-2013, 05:52 AM   #26
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Default Re: Concerns about this movie?

I'm not worried about a damn thing until I actually see the movie. All the pissing and moaning that some people do about something they haven't even seen yet is amazing. *****ing is a full-time job for some fans but they should at least wait to see what they're *****ing about.

xeno000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 06:00 AM   #27
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Hythlodeus View Post
humor must be really evil...
It is. There's a poster in a different place on this forum going on about how Marvel has failed bad by including humor. I'm getting a good laugh out of it as he's coming across as that Monty Python military character that warns skits not to get silly.

Mjölnir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 08:25 AM   #28
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

Mst CBMS have humour. But it hardly ever contradicts the tone and story or feels forced in, thats the concern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRYPTON INC. View Post
Because people believe what they want to believe usually. They want something to be so, and therefore it IS so in their minds. They believe it therefore it MUST be an objective reality. They would say they are not imposing their view, they are simply see the world as it truly is. But in fact, they are just seeing that which they view through their own personal lens. That MARVEL STUDIOS has only released one film since A1 is just a fact. Yet there are many who comment as though the majority of PHASE 2 has already come and gone. (sigh)
Probably because there's quite a few coming and Feige is incapable of not talking every few days about their plans.

Blade • X-MenSpider-ManBlade 2X-Men 2HULKSpider-Man 2Iron ManX-Men First ClassThorCaptain America: The First AvengerThe Amazing Spider-ManThe Wolverine

Last edited by CyclopsWasRight; 10-26-2013 at 08:28 AM.
CyclopsWasRight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 11:10 AM   #29
Bert
Side-Kick

I hope these films continue to make piles of money while pissing off hardcore nerds (iron man 3) the 'hardcore fanbase' is ridiculous, nitpicky and cannot be pleased. And it will be left in the dust.

Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 02:16 PM   #30
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Hythlodeus View Post
humor must be really evil...
Must be

Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
BigThor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 12:05 AM   #31
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

I guess my major concern is this... that it doesnt sound like the movie has any major impact on the rest of the MCU. I mean, if you look in comparison to Iron Man 2 and Captain America 2, this one seems to be very much on its own. Kind of a double edged sword.

pr0xyt0xin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 12:15 AM   #32
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

I see that as a good thing, but alot of reviewers say that the end of T:TDW will have a huge effects on the rest of the MCU.

Spider-Man - Hear what?

Last edited by BigThor; 10-27-2013 at 01:33 AM.
Old 10-27-2013, 12:16 AM   #33
Marvel
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
My only concerns are the runtime and the aftermath of the chaos that will happen in the movie.
I was posting at another site about the critic review that stated ...

Quote:
Thor: The Dark World is an ambitious, thrilling and often hilarious superhero sequel. Iron Man got things off to a great start, but now Marvel's 'Phase Two' is in full swing.
Then someone asked how can a film at or under two hours be ambitious.

This list calmed things down...

Casablanca = 102 min
Rear Window = 112 min
The Usual Suspects = 106 min
Raiders of the Lost Ark = 115 min
The Silence of the Lambs = 118 min
Psycho = 109 min
Memento = 113 min

Bottom line: Running time means little if they get it right.

Marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 12:24 AM   #34
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThor View Post
I think see that as a good thing, but alot of reviewers say that the end of T:TDW will have a huge effects on the rest of the MCU.
Yeah, and I know that most people clamor for the opposite, "Iron Man 2 has too much SHIELD." But that's never been me. I always wanted Wasp to be in IM3, etc. The more easter eggs and references to other franchises the better imo.

Old 10-27-2013, 12:26 AM   #35
psylockolussus
X-Men OT Cast Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThor View Post
I think see that as a good thing.
Same here!

Hugh Jackman - Halle Berry - Ian McKellen - Patrick Stewart
Anna Paquin - Shawn Ashmore - Daniel Cudmore - Ellen Page
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 01:36 AM   #36
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0xyt0xin View Post
Yeah, and I know that most people clamor for the opposite, "Iron Man 2 has too much SHIELD." But that's never been me. I always wanted Wasp to be in IM3, etc. The more easter eggs and references to other franchises the better imo.
Nah not me, I think for the most part Marvel has the perfect balance of Easter eggs in their films. First and foremost I feel that the solo films should properly focus on it's title characters without it becoming "_____ (insert hero) & Friends".

Spider-Man - Hear what?

Last edited by BigThor; 10-27-2013 at 10:24 AM.
Old 10-27-2013, 06:32 AM   #37
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

in this case all I wanted was something that helps set up Avengers 2.

I mean look at Phase One (which worked very well in the opinion of most) you had Iron Man and Iron Man 2 set up SHIELD (huge part of Avengers) Captain America set up the Tesseract (the catalyst for everything that happened in Avengers) and Thor setup Loki (the primary villain of the Avengers).

And so far what do we have? Iron Man 3 which setup A. nothing (if you think Kingsley is not the Mandarin/Master) or B. something huge but subtle in the way of a masters of evil storyline. Now to me one of those two options is much more exciting.

And you have Thor 2 which seems to have one big setup (or again it could just be nothing) Loki wants Thor to leave asgard/go to midgard for what purpose? If the answer is a purpose to be derived from Avengers 2 (coming up in the next 18 months) thats awesome. If it's to be withheld until the next Thor film (2016/2017?) well that kinda sucks.

Old 10-27-2013, 07:48 AM   #38
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey

I think the first half of phase 2 (IM3, Thor 2) were influenced by events that occur in Avengers and the second half (Cap 2, GOTG) directly influence Avengers 2 and 3.

But it wouldn't bother me if they were all self-sustained stories. Most of phase one were except for IM2 and that movie kind of sucked.

MessiahDecoy123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 08:29 AM   #39
Lord
All Mighty

For me the problem with the run time is that i think these type of action films usually need around 2 hours in order to have the action and the plot work. Films like X-Men 3 ended up having to cram a lot into what should have been the most epic films of their respective franchises.

Quote:
Why really? Now these single films have to be teasers for The Avengers films? Let these characters have their oun adventures, in the comics they have those all the time.

Quote:
I mean look at Phase One (which worked very well in the opinion of most) you had Iron Man and Iron Man 2 set up SHIELD (huge part of Avengers) Captain America set up the Tesseract (the catalyst for everything that happened in Avengers) and Thor setup Loki (the primary villain of the Avengers).
We still don't know the entire plans of Phase II and how the movies will connect with each other, if anything Thor 2 also seems to be setting up events from Phase III

Quote:
And so far what do we have? Iron Man 3 which setup A. nothing (if you think Kingsley is not the Mandarin/Master) or B. something huge but subtle in the way of a masters of evil storyline. Now to me one of those two options is much more exciting.
Let's not Forget the possible conncetion with Ultron, we got a lot of things with armors and AI, as well as Tony's new "change of heart", until the end of 2015 we simply can't know the full extension of Marvel's plan or where Iron Man 3 does fit.

Quote:
And you have Thor 2 which seems to have one big setup (or again it could just be nothing) Loki wants Thor to leave asgard/go to midgard for what purpose? If the answer is a purpose to be derived from Avengers 2 (coming up in the next 18 months) thats awesome. If it's to be withheld until the next Thor film (2016/2017?) well that kinda sucks.
The film is called Thor, why can't it set up things from its oun series besides just the team-up film? The thing with the MCU's trilogy: Iron Man, Cap America and Thor is that all of them can't be simply enjoyed as trilogies, because The Avengers is simply a major chapter in those respective sagas.

Let these films breathe and stand on their oun, that's their great trump card, it just gets tricky to pull more viewers in if you keep trying to connect the events, comics have had that problem to a certain extent too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by childeroland View Post
Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:36 AM   #40
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

Quote:

IM 3 may have set up something .
Tony Starks state of mind .
He seems to have backed away from Iron Man for a bit .
Will that lead to Tony creating Ultron to take Iron Mans place?
We dont know yet.

Mysteryman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:48 AM   #41
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
Why really? Now these single films have to be teasers for The Avengers films? Let these characters have their oun adventures, in the comics they have those all the time.

We still don't know the entire plans of Phase II and how the movies will connect with each other, if anything Thor 2 also seems to be setting up events from Phase III

Let's not Forget the possible conncetion with Ultron, we got a lot of things with armors and AI, as well as Tony's new "change of heart", until the end of 2015 we simply can't know the full extension of Marvel's plan or where Iron Man 3 does fit.

The film is called Thor, why can't it set up things from its oun series besides just the team-up film? The thing with the MCU's trilogy: Iron Man, Cap America and Thor is that all of them can't be simply enjoyed as trilogies, because The Avengers is simply a major chapter in those respective sagas.

Let these films breathe and stand on their oun, that's their great trump card, it just gets tricky to pull more viewers in if you keep trying to connect the events, comics have had that problem to a certain extent too.
I explained "Why really" because Phase One did it, exactly how I described and it was near-perfect in retrospect. It at least got us all talking about it the way we did. It set up Avengers flawlessly. I guess I'm just wondering why they didn't go with the tried/true method of tying the films into one another in Phase Two.

But it is true that we do not know where these films fit yet. Particularly because I havent seen Thor 2 yet and I bet dollars to donuts the spoilers I've read haven't done justice to the movie's potential. Afterall, if you're a believer then the potential seen in IM3 was extremely subtle. No offense to the people who've seen it, but I don't quite believe they saw everything worth seeing.

And finally, the reason it should setup for A:AoU rather than Thor 3 is because Avengers 2 is a sequel to Thor and Iron Man as well as itself. Avengers is the direct sequel to all of Phase Two. Thor 3 will need to be influenced most directly by what happens in A:AoU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysteryman View Post
IM 3 may have set up something .
Tony Starks state of mind .
He seems to have backed away from Iron Man for a bit .
Will that lead to Tony creating Ultron to take Iron Mans place?
We dont know yet.
This is a good point. And while that's not the plot I want (I'd greatly prefer Pym be involved), I'd rather them at least have some impact on one another in this style than nothing at all.

Old 10-27-2013, 12:35 PM   #42
InternetPeople
Petty... and tiny

Did you know Loki was going to be the big bad in Avengers at the end of Thor? Did you know the Tesseract was linked to the element Tony used to fix his arc reactor? Did you know the Tesseract would be the McGuffin in Avengers? Without seeing Avengers 2, I don't think we can say what has or has not been setup for Avengers 2. One of the things I really enjoyed was going back and re-watching the films to find all the connections like Tony seeing the Tesseract notes in one of Howard Stark's notebooks in IM2.

I think finding the hints of what is to come is part of the fun and I'm really looking forward to finding those hints in Thor 2 and Cap 2.

(One thing I am confident about is Tony not wanting to endanger Pepper which leads him to create an autonomous Iron Man suit leading into Ultron. But I don't know that yet.)

Last edited by InternetPeople; 10-27-2013 at 12:42 PM.
InternetPeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 12:56 PM   #43
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

After seeing the Stinger at the end of Thor that practically screamed it ?
Yes I KNEW Loki would be the Villain in The Avengers .

Old 10-27-2013, 01:49 PM   #44
InternetPeople
Petty... and tiny

Oh right, forgot about that

InternetPeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 08:12 PM   #45
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
For me the problem with the run time is that i think these type of action films usually need around 2 hours in order to have the action and the plot work. Films like X-Men 3 ended up having to cram a lot into what should have been the most epic films of their respective franchises.
Sums up my feelings exactly, and is the point I have been trying to make all along. X-Men 3 was the most disappointing movie in my life, and the run-time was a big factor in that. Dont want to get that feeling with the MCU.

1)Captain America: The Winter Soldier-9(2)The Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(3)The Lego Movie-7.5(4)Robocop-7.5(5)300:Rise Of An Empire-7
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 08:53 PM   #46
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

Pacing is not one of my issues with X-Men 3. They could have had an hour more and it would still be bad because of the choices they made and how they executed many things. The core needs to be good for me to start worrying about pacing and making things breathe.

Mjölnir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 04:48 AM   #47
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
I take back my concerns. Can't wait to see all the crazy stuff that happens in this film.

Old 10-28-2013, 09:00 AM   #48
CosmicPinchy
Rock Lobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON View Post
Sums up my feelings exactly, and is the point I have been trying to make all along. X-Men 3 was the most disappointing movie in my life, and the run-time was a big factor in that. Dont want to get that feeling with the MCU.
X-Men: The Last Stand was directed by the biggest colossal douchebag ever (Brett Ratner). Alan Taylor is a much better director and visionary. It has less to do with the movie being short, and more to do with the fact that an absolute idiot was directing it.

CosmicPinchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:26 AM   #49
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

X3 wasnt Ratners fault.
Fox had no Plan B after Singer left .
The blame falls to them.

Old 10-28-2013, 10:33 AM   #50
CosmicPinchy
Rock Lobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysteryman View Post
X3 wasnt Ratners fault.
Fox had no Plan B after Singer left .
The blame falls to them.

They're to blame for bringing Ratner in in the first place. Other than that, it's Ratner's fault for producing the worst piece of *&!@ ever.

CosmicPinchy is offline   Reply With Quote