The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Thor > Thor: The Dark World

Old 10-28-2013, 11:09 AM   #51
BoredGuy
Killing Time

Default Re: Concerns about this movie?

The Rat sucks, very true
but the other big thing is that they tried to cram 2 different movies (The Dark Phoenix Saga and Whedon's "Gifted" Astonishing arc) into one sub-2 hour film
Hopefully as long as Thor isn't 2 stories in one, it's short run time won't be an issue

My bigger concern at this point would just be Alan Taylor's seeming lack of interest or ownership on the film.

Old 10-28-2013, 11:40 AM   #52
Bert
Side-Kick

X3 was a serious insult and disservice to the characters and the audience, I have no reason to believe that this is the case with Thor 2

Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 12:12 PM   #53
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
Pacing is not one of my issues with X-Men 3. They could have had an hour more and it would still be bad because of the choices they made and how they executed many things. The core needs to be good for me to start worrying about pacing and making things breathe.
Great post

Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
BigThor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 12:40 PM   #54
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredGuy View Post
The Rat sucks, very true
but the other big thing is that they tried to cram 2 different movies (The Dark Phoenix Saga and Whedon's "Gifted" Astonishing arc) into one sub-2 hour film
Hopefully as long as Thor isn't 2 stories in one, it's short run time won't be an issue

My bigger concern at this point would just be Alan Taylor's seeming lack of interest or ownership on the film.
Is there a spoiler free article that expresses Taylors lack of interest?

Mysteryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 01:19 PM   #55
BoredGuy
Killing Time

There's nothing where he particularly says "i dont care, the movie sucks, blahh", but his comments saying the exposition up-front isn't what he'd prefer, and he trusts the audience's intelligence, and marvel has a formula that you don't question, sounds like he was somewhat displeased by studio control on the movie. Add that to his outright hostility towards that mid-credit scene and the man does not seem to be jumping at the chance to return to Marvel's world. Which does, sadly, line up with some rumors we heard a few months back. Marvel needs to let people make their movies, like Favreau did with IM 1, Whedon did on Avengers, and hopefully the Russos and Gunn get to do next year.

Old 10-28-2013, 07:27 PM   #56
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicPinchy View Post
X-Men: The Last Stand was directed by the biggest colossal douchebag ever (Brett Ratner). Alan Taylor is a much better director and visionary. It has less to do with the movie being short, and more to do with the fact that an absolute idiot was directing it.
While I am no fan of Ratner and think he is a poor director, Fox/Rothman take a lot of the blame for the cluster**** that is X3 as well. And Taylor may well be a better directors, but its obvious from his comments lately that there was interference on TDW as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredGuy View Post
There's nothing where he particularly says "i dont care, the movie sucks, blahh", but his comments saying the exposition up-front isn't what he'd prefer, and he trusts the audience's intelligence, and marvel has a formula that you don't question, sounds like he was somewhat displeased by studio control on the movie. Add that to his outright hostility towards that mid-credit scene and the man does not seem to be jumping at the chance to return to Marvel's world. Which does, sadly, line up with some rumors we heard a few months back. Marvel needs to let people make their movies, like Favreau did with IM 1, Whedon did on Avengers, and hopefully the Russos and Gunn get to do next year.
Yep, this is huge concern for me not just with TDW but with future MCU movies as well. Its why I am started to find their movies a bit boring as they all follow the same 'model' as Taylor puts it and they dont want to deviate from that.

Taylor sounds far from happy with the treatment he got here and when the hell will Marvel learn? The 2 movies that they meddled most with before TDW were TIH and Iron Man 2, both of which are largely considered the worst MCU movies so far.

Hopefully they dont meddle with TWS so much as that FINALLY looks like something different from the rest of the MCU judging by the trailer, more like a Bourne movie with super-heroes in. And IMO the MCU NEEDS something different as if a big Marvel fan like me is getting slightly bored by their movies then imagine what others will think?

1)Captain America: The Winter Soldier-9(2)The Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(3)The Lego Movie-7.5(4)Robocop-7.5(5)300:Rise Of An Empire-7
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:31 PM   #57
Bren
Forevernoob

After watching the latest clip, my concern is that the tone of the film will not be what I expected or hoped for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert View Post
X3 was a serious insult and disservice to the characters and the audience, I have no reason to believe that this is the case with Thor 2
I was part of the audience, I did not feel insulted. I enjoyed it. Could have been much better but imo wasn't that bad.

Old 10-28-2013, 08:53 PM   #58
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON View Post
Hopefully they dont meddle with TWS so much as that FINALLY looks like something different from the rest of the MCU judging by the trailer, more like a Bourne movie with super-heroes in. And IMO the MCU NEEDS something different as if a big Marvel fan like me is getting slightly bored by their movies then imagine what others will think?
I still don't see how TWS looks to differ more than TIH did.

Mjölnir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:27 PM   #59
speno94
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
After watching the latest clip, my concern is that the tone of the film will not be what I expected or hoped for.
What part of the tone are you concerned about with that clip and what did you expect it or hope it to be?

speno94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:52 PM   #60
Bren
Forevernoob

Quote:
Originally Posted by speno94 View Post
What part of the tone are you concerned about with that clip and what did you expect it or hope it to be?
I thought and hoped it would be more
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

medievalish and... Norseish, but watching that star wars battle was completely different to what I was expecting from this director. Does not make it a bad thing per say, but I am a little concerned because I like my Thor more medievalish

Still going to watch the film - A lot of people on these forums confuse 'concern' with rabid hatred/dislike and respond with things like 'haters gonna hate' - My concern is a mild version of apprehension

Old 10-28-2013, 10:36 PM   #61
speno94
Side-Kick

Quote:
I thought and hoped it would be more medievalish and... Norseish, but watching that star wars battle was completely different to what I was expecting from this director. Does not make it a bad thing per say, but I am a little concerned because I like my Thor more medievalish
I understand where your coming from, but I think what Alan Taylor did was make the INSIDE of Asgard more medieval and viking with all the dungeons, pubs/taverns, old cobbled candle lamp lit streets etc especially Vanaheim which is full on Medieval.

I think he made the INSIDE more viking, but the OUTSIDE, he wanted to keep some of that Jack Kirby-esque look from the first film for continuity and I think it fits because Thor has always been a mix between fantasy and sci-fi because if he also made the outside look more viking with shacks etc it wouldn't fit with continuity. I like the fact that some action sequences are with swords and horses and some are sci-fi style.

I think Alan Taylor has done a great job of portraying Asgard that while technologically advanced hasn't lost sight of those rich Norse roots.

speno94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:57 PM   #62
Bren
Forevernoob

Quite possibly - Like I said, it's certainly not going to stop me watching this at the cinema.

Old 10-28-2013, 11:07 PM   #63
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
Me either, but hey it's the new kid on the block let the "best film eva" responses commence.

Quote:
I thought and hoped it would be more
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

medievalish and... Norseish, but watching that star wars battle was completely different to what I was expecting from this director. Does not make it a bad thing per say, but I am a little concerned because I like my Thor more medievalish

Still going to watch the film - A lot of people on these forums confuse 'concern' with rabid hatred/dislike and respond with things like 'haters gonna hate' - My concern is a mild version of apprehension
Go watch the clip where Thor comes and joins Sif against the marauders, I hear it was very medievalish.

Spider-Man - Hear what?
Old 10-28-2013, 11:11 PM   #64
Bren
Forevernoob

I've seen that, but even then, the marauders have ranged energy weapons don't they?

Watch, I'm going to end up loving the diversity anyway

Old 10-28-2013, 11:18 PM   #65
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
I've seen that, but even then, the marauders have ranged energy weapons don't they?

Watch, I'm going to end up loving the diversity anyway
Yeah, so wait you're telling me you want COMPLETE medieval fighting with no type of sci-fi whatsoever?

Spider-Man - Hear what?
Old 10-28-2013, 11:56 PM   #66
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Quote:
TWS looks like a spy thriller with super-hero elements in to me. TIH was a man on the run movie with some spy elements thrown in and some heavy super-hero themes as well, they are very different IMO.

I think TWS looks like a Bourne movie in the fact that he is going up against the government and big people who make big decisions that effect every day lives. Cap is going against what SHIELD thinks he SHOULD be standing for and thats very intriguing and very different than what we got in TIH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThor View Post
Me either, but hey it's the new kid on the block let the "best film eva" responses commence.
I would go that far to call it the "best film eva" or anything as it was just a trailer. IM3 looked a very different movie in its trailers as well. But I like that TWS finally feels like something different from Marvel.

1)Captain America: The Winter Soldier-9(2)The Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(3)The Lego Movie-7.5(4)Robocop-7.5(5)300:Rise Of An Empire-7
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:57 PM   #67
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Surtur vs Gorr thread! - http://forums.superherohype.com/show...5#post27105375

Check it out and be sure to vote for who you think would win and why!

Spider-Man - Hear what?

Last edited by BigThor; 10-29-2013 at 12:11 AM.
Old 10-29-2013, 01:44 AM   #68
ironman_rick
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0xyt0xin View Post
And so far what do we have? Iron Man 3 which setup A. nothing (if you think Kingsley is not the Mandarin/Master) or B. something huge but subtle in the way of a masters of evil storyline. Now to me one of those two options is much more exciting.
IM3 set up the extremies storyline which is a big part of "Agent of shield"

Old 10-29-2013, 06:10 AM   #69
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON View Post
TWS looks like a spy thriller with super-hero elements in to me. TIH was a man on the run movie with some spy elements thrown in and some heavy super-hero themes as well, they are very different IMO.

I think TWS looks like a Bourne movie in the fact that he is going up against the government and big people who make big decisions that effect every day lives. Cap is going against what SHIELD thinks he SHOULD be standing for and thats very intriguing and very different than what we got in TIH.
I didn't say that TWS and TIH are similar, I was saying that I think TIH is at least as far off the "average tone" of the MCU as TWS seems to be.

It's darker, the superhero is basically a monster with very little control etc.

Just being a new genre isn't much to separate a movie as Thor's movies should then be the most different as high fantasy stands out more from the other genres. TWS looks great, but it's still a normal kind of hero battling forces we've already seen, good organizations turning out bad is also something we've seen, etc.

This is in no way criticism against TWS, as said I think it looks very nice. I just think it feels like it belongs with the others (as it should imo), but just as the others it has it's own identity.

Mjölnir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 01:50 PM   #70
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
I didn't say that TWS and TIH are similar, I was saying that I think TIH is at least as far off the "average tone" of the MCU as TWS seems to be.

It's darker, the superhero is basically a monster with very little control etc.

Just being a new genre isn't much to separate a movie as Thor's movies should then be the most different as high fantasy stands out more from the other genres. TWS looks great, but it's still a normal kind of hero battling forces we've already seen, good organizations turning out bad is also something we've seen, etc.

This is in no way criticism against TWS, as said I think it looks very nice. I just think it feels like it belongs with the others (as it should imo), but just as the others it has it's own identity.
Agreed on all counts, every single one.

Spider-Man - Hear what?
Old 10-29-2013, 02:20 PM   #71
Figs
Side-Kick

When it comes to concerns, my main one is the run time with Selvig being turned into a joke following behind. Whenever this comes out on home video, I don't think I'll be watching the deleted scenes because it might affect my enjoyment of the film thinking about what could have been, much like TIH.

It's sad that Marvel wanted the director to lengthen the first act with too much exposition. So they chose that over scenes that would have given other characters more screen time?

Figs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:53 PM   #72
antonydelfini
Captain's Orders

My main concern's studio medling with the director.

Gonna find out in a few hours how good this one is.

antonydelfini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:00 PM   #73
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonydelfini View Post
My main concern's studio medling with the director.

Gonna find out in a few hours how good this one is.
I already know you're not gonna like the film that much, I bet your reaction is gonna be "me".

Spider-Man - Hear what?
Old 10-29-2013, 10:38 PM   #74
herolee10
Ultimate Hero

I wouldn't say that this is a concern for just this film, but films made by Marvel Studios in general, but I really hope that because Whedon added a lot of humor within the Avengers that it doesn't become a recurring trend for every MCU based property since I feel like that Whedon's sense of humor is a double edge sword at times where it's funny (sometimes) but can also downplay the seriousness that a moment in a film is supposed to have.

herolee10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:48 PM   #75
antonydelfini
Captain's Orders

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThor View Post
I already know you're not gonna like the film that much, I bet your reaction is gonna be "me".
How so? Because of my avatar?

Here's my ranking for the Marvel-DC superhero films of 2013:

1. The Wolverine 8.5/10
2. Iron Man 3 8.5/10
3. Man of Steel 7/10

So Im not a DC fanboy.

Here's my top 10 Marvel DC superhero films of all time:

1. The Avengers 9/10
2. The Dark Knight 9/10
3. The Wolverine 8.5/10
4. Iron Man 3 8.5/10
5. Iron Man 8.5/10
6. X-Men First Class 8.5/10
7. The Amazing Spider-Man 8/10
8. Batman Begins 8/10
9. Captain America the 1st Avenger 7.5/10
10. Superman the Movie 7.5/10
(The first Thor movie gets a 7/10 from me, the first 2 Spidey films an 8/10 but TASM is my favorite so that represented the Spidey franchise, Blade gets a 7.5/10, Blade 2 7/10, MOS is 7/10, X1 gets a 7/10, X2 a 7.5/10, TDKR 7.5/10, Superman 2 7/10).

And Im a bigg Thor fan. I havent read all his comics, but Ive read enough. Some of Lee-Kirby, whole Simonson, whole Straczynski, whole Fraction (hated that), and the current Aaron (my number 2 Thor writer). So Im not bias. If it's a meh movie, It's not because Im a DC guy.

Last edited by antonydelfini; 10-29-2013 at 11:02 PM.
antonydelfini is offline   Reply With Quote