The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Thor > Thor: The Dark World

Closed Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 09:26 PM   #101
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Default Re: Thor 2 Dark World news, speculation and pictures possible Spoilers - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axl Van Sixx View Post
Getting back on-topic, it seems from early reviews that T:TDW will suffer from a bit of the Iron Man 2 Effect, in that it will feel like a sequel for its own sake rather than really being a story that effectively advances the characters. The main plot sounds like a fairly generic sci-fi/fantasy plot with the fate of the Earth (again) at stake, with the fun of the film more in the "how" than the "what".

I loved the first Thor film and would love to see a more fantasy-based take on his universe, so I'm keeping my hopes up. I think it'll be a fun ride, but nothing spectacular. It would be great if it surprises me though.

All the early reviews have at least said Hemsworth and Hiddleston are great again as Thor and Loki, with the latter in particular worth the price of admission. But I really love all the characters in these films, even the supporting cast. The first film did an admirable job of ingratiating these characters to the audience, IMO, and I look forward to seeing their adventures continue. I find the Thor movies to be great light entertainment, in the best sense of the term.
Except for the fact that this film is pretty much universally considered better than the first film by everyone so far.

Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
Old 10-24-2013, 09:37 PM   #102
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Default Re: Thor 2 Dark World news, speculation and pictures possible Spoilers - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThor View Post
Except for the fact that this film is pretty much universally considered better than the first film by everyone so far.
Heck, you would just need to watch the two trailers to realize that.lol

From some of the reviews I've read, this film isn't a "bad" film, but I think it's suffering from the same thing that MOS had (in a way) where some (not all) were expecting a MUCH BETTER film.

I've read comments and reviews where people say that they thought it was a good Thor sequel, but were looking for a greater game changer for the Thor films.

Old 10-24-2013, 10:13 PM   #103
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

A game changer in what way?

Old 10-24-2013, 10:23 PM   #104
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post

From some of the reviews I've read, this film isn't a "bad" film, but I think it's suffering from the same thing that MOS had (in a way) where some (not all) were expecting a MUCH BETTER film.

I've read comments and reviews where people say that they thought it was a good Thor sequel, but were looking for a greater game changer for the Thor films.
Thats been what I have been hoping from the start, its why I have real concerns over the run-time and the fact that Malekith doesnt seem that fleshed out.

I remember stating when this sequel was announced that Thor 2 had the potential to be bigger than better than The Avengers and I still hold to that, its why I am bit disappointed the movie is only considered 'good' with its best compliments being thats its 'entertaining' and 'fun.' I am pretty sure I will like the movie, but I am still disappointed they didnt have greater ambitions with the movie.

On the hand, the trailer for TWS was sublime, that movie really does look like a game changer and something really different for Marvel. Cap is probably my least liked character out of the MCU ones we have gotten so far, but TWS looks truly amazing.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Interstellar-9.5(3)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(4)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(5)Gone Girl-9(6)Captain America: TWS-9(7)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(8)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(9)WOWS-8.5(10)Godzilla-8(11)Neighbours-8(12)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(13)Lego Movie-7.5(14)Transformers: AOE-7.5(15)Robocop-7.5(16)Sin City: ADTDF-7(17)300:ROAE-7(18)The Equalizer-7(19)MWTDITW-7(20)47 Ronin-6(21)Monuments Men-5(22)Ride Along-5(23)I, Frankenstein-3
Old 10-24-2013, 10:29 PM   #105
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

Wonder where Son of Thunder is?
Was just in the Thor Costume thread from Thor1 to answer a question and was reminded of his Costume.

....to every King.

Coulson, "If the details of this gets out, the operation would be complimized"

Old 10-24-2013, 10:55 PM   #106
Quasimod0
Bell-Ringer

3. The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies
4. Guardians of the Galaxy
5. Interstellar

Old 10-24-2013, 11:15 PM   #107
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:

Of course this isn't a bad film, 90% of the reviews have given this a 4/5 why are people not understanding that? They're raving about the lead performances, scale, inventive action scenes, set designs, writing, cinematography, and even most of the humor.

But no all anyone concentrates on is Malekith being underdeveloped, the run time, and a few ill timed jokes. Good grief do you realize how ridiculous it looks to put all those pros over three cons?

Spider-Man - Hear what?
Old 10-24-2013, 11:25 PM   #108
samsnee
Side-Kick

Not every movie needs to be a game changer. As long as it's a solid piece of entertainment then I don't see why there is a reason to be disappointed.

Old 10-24-2013, 11:52 PM   #109
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsnee View Post
Not every movie needs to be a game changer. As long as it's a solid piece of entertainment then I don't see why there is a reason to be disappointed.
Half of the reviews even say it's one of Marvel Studios best solo outings yet.

Spider-Man - Hear what?
Old 10-25-2013, 12:59 AM   #110
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
Of course this isn't a bad film, 90% of the reviews have given this a 4/5 why are people not understanding that? They're raving about the lead performances, scale, inventive action scenes, set designs, writing, cinematography, and even most of the humor.

But no all anyone concentrates on is Malekith being underdeveloped, the run time, and a few ill timed jokes. Good grief do you realize how ridiculous it looks to put all those pros over three cons?
Oh yeah; I agree with you and personally, I'm not one of those people that's complaining about the film.lol...I mean how can I when I haven't even seen it?lol

But nevertheless..it does seem like some people had some pretty high, if not unrealistic expectations for this film.

Old 10-25-2013, 01:02 AM   #111
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
Oh yeah; I agree with you and personally, I'm not one of those people that's complaining about the film.lol...I mean how can I when I haven't even seen it?lol

But nevertheless..it does seem like some people had some pretty high, if not unrealistic expectations for this film.
That last sentence is very VERY true.

Spider-Man - Hear what?
Old 10-25-2013, 01:16 AM   #112
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Quote:

Well then has been my point this past week or so. This movie had the potential to be bigger and even better than The Avengers, but Marvel just seem to have settled for an 'entertaining' and 'fun' movie. This disappoints me as it is all we seem to get from Marvel these days with The Avengers being the exception (though that movie didnt have enough substance for me either).

I want them to start pushing the boat out and do something different from their usual schtick and Thor 2 just seems more of that. After seeing TWS trailer however, I may be getting what I want as that looks something truly different from Marvel and all the better for it.

Being a bigger Iron Man and Thor fan than a Cap one though I was hoping those movies would be the ones to finally give us something different and with more substance than the previous MCU efforts but IM3 was the same old MCU stuff and Thor 2 seems so as well.

I guess I'll just have to wait until next year to get something truly different from Marvel Studio's. TWS does look sublime though, and more like a Bourne movie with super-heroes in rather than the usual super-hero fare.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Interstellar-9.5(3)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(4)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(5)Gone Girl-9(6)Captain America: TWS-9(7)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(8)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(9)WOWS-8.5(10)Godzilla-8(11)Neighbours-8(12)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(13)Lego Movie-7.5(14)Transformers: AOE-7.5(15)Robocop-7.5(16)Sin City: ADTDF-7(17)300:ROAE-7(18)The Equalizer-7(19)MWTDITW-7(20)47 Ronin-6(21)Monuments Men-5(22)Ride Along-5(23)I, Frankenstein-3
Old 10-25-2013, 02:55 AM   #113
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasimod0 View Post
Right behind you. Too much doom-and-gloom here for me.

Old 10-25-2013, 03:41 AM   #114
Moonwing
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
Right behind you. Too much doom-and-gloom here for me.
Yep, I am out too, because same very reason. Even MOS tread when it fall in ratings was not so hopeless.

Old 10-25-2013, 05:01 AM   #115
kosh33
MCU Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwing View Post
Yep, I am out too, because same very reason. Even MOS tread when it fall in ratings was not so hopeless.

take me too!!.. i was reading up on what i missed, and it was 10 pages of arguing over the same things as a week back... i will come back after seeing the movie next weekend

Old 10-25-2013, 06:52 AM   #116
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON View Post
Well then has been my point this past week or so. This movie had the potential to be bigger and even better than The Avengers, but Marvel just seem to have settled for an 'entertaining' and 'fun' movie. This disappoints me as it is all we seem to get from Marvel these days with The Avengers being the exception (though that movie didnt have enough substance for me either).

I want them to start pushing the boat out and do something different from their usual schtick and Thor 2 just seems more of that. After seeing TWS trailer however, I may be getting what I want as that looks something truly different from Marvel and all the better for it.

Being a bigger Iron Man and Thor fan than a Cap one though I was hoping those movies would be the ones to finally give us something different and with more substance than the previous MCU efforts but IM3 was the same old MCU stuff and Thor 2 seems so as well.

I guess I'll just have to wait until next year to get something truly different from Marvel Studio's. TWS does look sublime though, and more like a Bourne movie with super-heroes in rather than the usual super-hero fare.
I don't really agree with your assessment of the Marvel movies. To me TIH is clearly the movie that differs the most from the others. The Avengers doesn't separate itself that much imo, the main difference is the ensemble in my view.

As for the TWS trailer I thought it looked great as well, but I mainly see the new part being that they get into yet another genre. Other than that it felt like Marvel to me.

Old 10-25-2013, 07:06 AM   #117
Adamantium
Your King

Quote:

Resolution: They need only one trailer(of course 2 is nice). Plus they don't need to be showing clips or so many TV spots. It's no wonder peoples expectations are so high. I understand the marketing and that all these spots are what's creating the buzz. It's just unfortunate. If only the internet didn't exist, we would just all be getting our minds blown at the theater.

stupid technological advances.

Old 10-25-2013, 07:11 AM   #118
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamantium View Post
Resolution: They need only one trailer(of course 2 is nice). Plus they don't need to be showing clips or so many TV spots. It's no wonder peoples expectations are so high. I understand the marketing and that all these spots are what's creating the buzz. It's just unfortunate. If only the internet didn't exist, we would just all be getting our minds blown at the theater.

stupid technological advances.
I've actually not seen anything other than the trailers. I've even quickly scrolled past most gifs from footage I haven't seen. It is possible to get the feeling you had in the past when you went to the theater but it takes a bit of effort and will.

Old 10-25-2013, 07:36 AM   #119
Adamantium
Your King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
takes a bit of effort and will.
You're just being silly now.

Old 10-25-2013, 08:23 AM   #120
Feenix
Formerly CosmicPinchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON View Post

Just let it go. Your attitude is actually causing people to leave the thread because it's too negative. This goes beyond criticism, you can't wait for the movie to suck. You haven't seen the movie and already you act like you know everything that's wrong with it. Come off the pedestal, dude, you're way too high on yourself.

Why don't you take your "concerns" to the concerns thread instead of begging for attention here.

Old 10-25-2013, 08:38 AM   #121
warriorking
Side-Kick

When the movie opens to sell out crowds and tops 100 million many in this Thread are going to have egg all over their faces...
So Relax everyone, Taylor will have delivered a great Thor Movie that the audience will love and from the reviews He Did and they Do!!!!!

Last edited by warriorking; 10-25-2013 at 08:42 AM.
Old 10-25-2013, 09:10 AM   #122
ddddeeee
Side-Kick

Quote:
The average rating on RT is nearly identical to the first. If it is better it certainly doesn't seem to be much better.

Old 10-25-2013, 09:10 AM   #123
Moonwing
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorking View Post
When the movie opens to sell out crowds and tops 100 million many in this Thread are going to have egg all over their faces...
So Relax everyone, Taylor will have delivered a great Thor Movie that the audience will love and from the reviews He Did and they Do!!!!!
From the reaction of the crew from on of the decent russian movie sites (the only one that I read) the film is as great as Avengers take as you will. But even they said its the funniest marvel movie to date. *going back into hiding*

Old 10-25-2013, 09:45 AM   #124
BoredGuy
Killing Time

I just wanna see this friggin thing already!
two or three weeks of reviews before release is unbearable!!

Old 10-25-2013, 09:49 AM   #125
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

Basically people *****ed because the first one focused too long on Thor getting humbled as a mortal and they wanted to see him cut loose. Now he is, and it's still not enough apparently.

Closed Thread