The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman/Batman > Superman/Batman Movie

View Poll Results: How do you feel about Goyer writing the script for the first Superman Batman film
His work on MOS was VERY GOOD. He'll do GREAT. 27 20.45%
His work on MOS was OKAY. I am Skecptical. 30 22.73%
His work on MOS was POOR. I feel dread. 32 24.24%
He NEEDS Affleck's help and guidance to deliver a great script 43 32.58%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-05-2013, 08:52 AM   #301
Krumm
Beer Snob

Default Re: David S. Goyer IS the Script Writer! - Part 2

With this ever expanding DCCU and rumors of Goyer taking a more Fiege-like role (unless that's been debunked), I wonder when it comes time to do a proper MOS sequel if Goyer will be the writer of that film.

Old 12-05-2013, 09:49 AM   #302
FeedOnATreeFrog
A Metal Gear reference

I imagine after the opening trilogy of MOS, WF, and JL, we'll get different writer/directors on the solo franchises, Superman included, but perhaps with Goyer at the helm of the universe ala Fiege. Maybe Goyer/Snyder stick around for JL2, JL3.

Or maybe we won't get solo movies anymore. Who knows.

FeedOnATreeFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 11:15 AM   #303
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedOnATreeFrog View Post
That's what I'm afraid of.

DA_Champion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 11:16 AM   #304
roach
I am the night

why wouldn't they do solo films?

You can't judge a film's screenplay until you read the screenplay.
roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 11:24 AM   #305
Alonsovich
Schumacher's Spider-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedOnATreeFrog View Post
I imagine after the opening trilogy of MOS, WF, and JL, we'll get different writer/directors on the solo franchises, Superman included, but perhaps with Goyer at the helm of the universe ala Fiege. Maybe Goyer/Snyder stick around for JL2, JL3.

Most likely. There's a big thing to factor here. Marvel character movies are being made not only by Marvel Studios, but also by Fox and Sony. That's why they can release 3-4 films per year without that much trouble. DC characters are owned by a single studio: WB. If they planned 3-4 DC movies per year they would go bankrupt in no time. GL is an example of that. These movies cost 150-200 million to make + around another 100 million in marketing costs. It's an insane amount of bucks and it needs around 600 million BO intake to brake even. Let's not forget that it's only one studio here. A much more likely scenario is WB making 1 film per year and the characters of the DC Universe appearing in them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLBats
Does it disgust anyone that when we were being born, our penises were technically in our mother's vaginas? Isn't that disgusting?
Alonsovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 11:30 AM   #306
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonsovich View Post
Most likely. There's a big thing to factor here. Marvel character movies are being made not only by Marvel Studios, but also by Fox and Sony. That's why they can release 3-4 films per year without that much trouble. DC characters are owned by a single studio: WB. If they planned 3-4 DC movies per year they would go bankrupt in no time. GL is an example of that. These movies cost 150-200 million to make + around another 100 million in marketing costs. It's an insane amount of bucks and it needs around 600 million BO intake to brake even. Let's not forget that it's only one studio here. A much more likely scenario is WB making 1 film per year and the characters of the DC Universe appearing in them.
Yeah someone posted a well-written article making that argument a few days ago.

Old 12-05-2013, 11:35 AM   #307
Krumm
Beer Snob

It is a good point. I wonder with Constantine on NBC and Gotham on FOX, if WB is willing to license out some of their properties.

Old 12-05-2013, 11:41 AM   #308
roach
I am the night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krumm View Post
It is a good point. I wonder with Constantine on NBC and Gotham on FOX, if WB is willing to license out some of their properties.
licensing properties is not an ideal situation…think Disney is fine with X-men and Spiderman not being with them? The answer is no. Right now WB is in a good position…only they know what they are doing right now.

and I find it hard to believe that a studio that is hurting for a franchise that they are going to start one based on a character that appeared in a book in the Harry Potter series…is not going to do solo films…especially since the solo Batman series made so much money.

Old 12-05-2013, 12:12 PM   #309
Alonsovich
Schumacher's Spider-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach View Post
licensing properties is not an ideal situation…think Disney is fine with X-men and Spiderman not being with them? The answer is no. Right now WB is in a good position…only they know what they are doing right now.

and I find it hard to believe that a studio that is hurting for a franchise that they are going to start one based on a character that appeared in a book in the Harry Potter series…is not going to do solo films…especially since the solo Batman series made so much money.
The point still stands. We didn't see a Batman film every 2nd year. The gap between the first two was 3 years, between the second and third it was 4 years. The most DC films they've made is one per year (2011 GL, 2012 TDKR, 2013 MoS), and in two of them (GL and MoS) they've tried to set up appearances from other characters of the DC Universe (didn't happen for GL because it underperformed, but that's another story). I think it's pretty much clear by WB's behavior, that GL was intended (but failed) and MoS was intended to be more of a DC Universe nº 0. The franchise is not Superman, or Batman. The franchise is the DC Universe. Otherwise, the Marvel route is suicidal. 3-4 films a year would cost WB north of 1.2 billion per year just to make, with no guarantee of getting it back. It's simply impossible, financially speaking.

Quote:
Does it disgust anyone that when we were being born, our penises were technically in our mother's vaginas? Isn't that disgusting?

Last edited by Alonsovich; 12-05-2013 at 12:18 PM.
Old 12-05-2013, 12:25 PM   #310
roach
I am the night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonsovich View Post
The point still stands. We didn't see a Batman film every 2nd year. The gap between the first two was 3 years, between the second and third it was 4 years. The most DC films they've made is one per year (2011 GL, 2012 TDKR, 2013 MoS), and in two of them (GL and MoS) they've tried to set up appearances from other characters of the DC Universe (didn't happen for GL because it underperformed, but that's another story). I think it's pretty much clear by WB's behavior, that GL was intended (but failed) and MoS was intended to be more of a DC Universe nº 0. The franchise is not Superman, or Batman. The franchise is the DC Universe. Otherwise, the Marvel route is suicidal. 3-4 films a year would cost WB north of 1.2 billion per year just to make, with no guarantee of getting it back. It's simply impossible, financially speaking.
yeah when you compare what 3 studios is doing to what 1 studio is doing…yes thats crazy. Nothing is clear from WB's behavior. We don't know what they have planned and looking at a few Target stores or the easter eggs in MOS that their isn't going to be solo films is silly.

Old 12-05-2013, 12:33 PM   #311
Alonsovich
Schumacher's Spider-man

Quote:
yeah when you compare what 3 studios is doing to what 1 studio is doing…yes thats crazy. Nothing is clear from WB's behavior. We don't know what they have planned and looking at a few Target stores or the easter eggs in MOS that their isn't going to be solo films is silly.
What do you consider solo? Like Batman alone or Superman alone? Because I really think it's not happening. What I think is going to happen is what's happening now with BvS. We will get a film per year where we'll see Batman jumping in Superman's film, or GL in Flash's film, or WW in Batman's film. A bit like in the comics. Not all comics are JL, but there are appearances (extensive ones sometimes) from other characters in the solo monthly comics. That's the kind of "solo" movies I think we'll get. Also let's not forget Del Toro's JL Dark, which he himself has said is in the same universe.

Quote:
Old 12-05-2013, 12:38 PM   #312
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

I think that a coherent, multilateral approach is emerging from WB/DC.

Old 12-05-2013, 12:39 PM   #313
Krumm
Beer Snob

Quote:

I agree with you about Disney but they have Marvel as a complete other division to handle that. WB is simply WB, they have much more going on than Marvel.

Old 12-05-2013, 01:36 PM   #314
TheBat812
Side-Kick

As long as they don't pull a marvel/Disney and try to cram one or two mediocre movies a year down our throats, I'm looking forward to their plans. Imo it feels like they've definitely got their plans worked out, they just are playin it closer to the vest than they do at marvel.

Old 12-05-2013, 02:05 PM   #315
Krumm
Beer Snob

But bringing it back to Goyer, I wonder if he'll end up being too busy with the universe to handle the minutiae of writing the MOS sequel. Maybe he'll strictly be an idea man for the universe and possibly the characters's solo films and delegate the script writing to others. Being an idea man is one of his strengths that I think his detractors can get on board with.

Old 12-05-2013, 02:13 PM   #316
vantheman77
Side-Kick

I wonder if David Goyer watches Arrow.

I see Goyer as the film/ TV equivalent to Geoff Johns in that he may be the architect of the DCU cinematic universe.

Think Goyer will incorporate that citizenship angle in the MoS sequel like he wrote in Action Comics #900?

vantheman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 03:08 PM   #317
roach
I am the night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krumm View Post
But bringing it back to Goyer, I wonder if he'll end up being too busy with the universe to handle the minutiae of writing the MOS sequel. Maybe he'll strictly be an idea man for the universe and possibly the characters's solo films and delegate the script writing to others. Being an idea man is one of his strengths that I think his detractors can get on board with.
it depends on how fast he writes

Old 12-05-2013, 03:19 PM   #318
J.Howlett

Quote:
it depends on how fast he writes
He tends to write fast. The BEGINS script was finished in six weeks. And it was pretty much the film we got.

Goyer's been at this script since at least February.

Old 12-05-2013, 03:20 PM   #319
roach
I am the night

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Howlett View Post
He tends to write fast. The BEGINS script was finished in six weeks. And it was pretty much the film we got.
its possible for him to write it all then

Old 12-05-2013, 03:22 PM   #320
J.Howlett

Quote:
its possible for him to write it all then
He's been writing this film since February.

Old 12-05-2013, 03:22 PM   #321
roach
I am the night

Quote:
He's been writing this film since February.
im willing to bet this script is already done and is just in the revision process

Old 12-05-2013, 03:23 PM   #322
Krumm
Beer Snob

Quote:
im willing to bet this script is already done and is just in the revision process
There was a quote somewhere confirming this a few weeks ago.

Old 12-05-2013, 03:25 PM   #323
J.Howlett

Quote:
Yeah, they're probably prepping the shooting script as we speak.

Hey, what's the big WB film next summer?

Old 12-05-2013, 03:27 PM   #324
LordofhouseEl
Side-Kick

The man couldn't do one character right let alone, get ready for bastardised versions of the trinity. The film will be full of more holes than a Swiss cheese and will have atrocious cringe worthy dialogue moments. No one should have any faith in this man and after BvS it will be a case if told you so.

LordofhouseEl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 03:31 PM   #325
roach
I am the night

Quote:
Yeah, they're probably prepping the shooting script as we speak.

Hey, what's the big WB film next summer?
Godzilla…which Goyer had a hand in the script