The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

View Poll Results: How do you feel about Goyer writing the script for the first Superman Batman film
His work on MOS was VERY GOOD. He'll do GREAT. 27 20.45%
His work on MOS was OKAY. I am Skecptical. 30 22.73%
His work on MOS was POOR. I feel dread. 32 24.24%
He NEEDS Affleck's help and guidance to deliver a great script 43 32.58%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 01:17 PM   #501
Bruce_Begins
I am still Green Goblin

Default Re: David S. Goyer IS the Script Writer! - Part 2

I am not implying that Goyer has run out of ideas as he always takes the source material for inspiration and develops it.. but he may be feeling a getting repetitive for writing some part of the Batman's story.

Hell, Hans Zimmer felt the same thing when he was asked about his opinion on giving a musical score to the new Batman movies starring Ben Affleck.

*\S/T*
Old 12-19-2013, 01:28 PM   #502
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach View Post
I don't think this is the case. Goyer isn't rewriting this script because he is busy with other DC scripts. It shouldn't be that hard to write a Batman once the Nolan shackles are off him.
“David and Chris went off and butted heads for awhile and came up with this story, a really great story.” When Goyer left to direct a film, Jonathan Nolan came on to write the full screenplay."-The secret to TDK's above average writing

But yeah. Goyer on Nolan's limitations: “There can’t be anything on Batman’s costume that’s a design feature.”

I want most of everything on the Batsuit to be functional, but I am more than okay with an aesthetic feature (the eyes or cape size, for instance)

http://collider.com/david-s-goyer-ma...K09TTcEt4Rt.99

Goyer can finally bring to life a Batman not bound by realistic attributes or a need to tone him down for dramatic purposes. And the new Chris can give him that witty edge

Last edited by TheFlamingCoco; 12-19-2013 at 01:31 PM.
Old 12-19-2013, 01:30 PM   #503
DChero
Out of Work Superhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlamingCoco View Post
“David and Chris went off and butted heads for awhile and came up with this story, a really great story.” When Goyer left to direct a film, Jonathan Nolan came on to write the full screenplay."-The secret to TDK's above average writing

But yeah. Goyer on Nolan's limitation: “There can’t be anything on Batman’s costume that’s a design feature.”

I want most of everything on the Batsuit to be functional, but I am more than okay with an aesthetic feature (the eyes or cape size, for instance)

http://collider.com/david-s-goyer-ma...K09TTcEt4Rt.99

Goyer can finally bring to life a Batman not bound by realistic attributes or a need to tone him down for dramatic purposes. And the new Chris can give him that witty edge
WTF was the bat logo about? It was small, imprinted and black. It's not like anyone else could see it.

PS: That's what she said.

Old 12-19-2013, 04:01 PM   #504
The Guard
Side-Kick

I think the "Batgod" thing is somewhat overstated. While it's true that he's an obvious favorite for some writers (Morrison), comics writers "depower" and utilize heroes and villains selectively for story purposes all the time. Not just Batman. Sure, Batman has been in some ridiculous situations. So have other characters.

Quote:
But yeah. Goyer on Nolan's limitation: “There can’t be anything on Batman’s costume that’s a design feature.”
Somewhat ironic, really, even when you look at the DARK KNIGHT suit.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
Old 12-19-2013, 04:09 PM   #505
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Big rubber padding (to cushion punches that you're supposed to be able to dodge) an UGLY yellow belt (Goyer said that the gold belt was canon-apparently that's more important than having Bruce not quit early in his crimefighting career)

Yet another batsymbol ON the belt..and his jawline being uncovered isn't aesthetic at all..not at all (yeah, I know it's in pretty much EVERY Batman incarnation, save Beyond).

Old 12-19-2013, 04:49 PM   #506
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlamingCoco View Post
Before Jonathan Nolan showed up, they produced that far weaker written Batman Begins...
Especially the alfred dialogue.(sarcasm)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DChero View Post
I completely agree. It's ridiculous the lengths that some writers have gone to force Batman into a story. I remember a scene from an animated movie in which Batman survives some of Darkseid's blows. Armor or not, the human body shouldn't be able to tolerate that type of impact.

As much as I love the Batman character, I can go on all day about how much Superman has suffered because Batman needs to seem important.
Batman wore alien armor when he got decked by darksied. This is sci fi. Do the same thing without the armor and you'll have a point. Do it with armor and you'll have Luthor(in that green crap no one complains about) and to a degree Ironman....

Further more, how does such things hurt the character of superman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by charl_huntress View Post
This is exactly it. Often times because Bats is human the writers will depower other powered villains and heroes so he can be included. I wouldn't necessarily have a problem with this if they didn't take it a step further by making Bats superior in almost everyway so he can save the day. Writers don't do this for any other character except Bats.
I have a feeling if they made batman as able as hawkeye or widow were in this next movie, it will elicit these sorts of complaints.

Villains are made weaker all the time for heroes, I've never seen it more so for batman than anyone else. The animated series is just an inconsistent mess all around imo. That being said, it's easier to make someone look weak if you use brain over brawn.

Lastly
People will be far and away more content with Luthor(the mere mortal) out maneuvering and looking cooler than superman due to brain power time and again but when the same elements only better placed(batman knows clark and has his trust) go down with batman, we encounter this #teamjacob / @teamedward type of reception.
Luckily for me I'm team objective fan of best outcome regardless of whom looks better.

Last edited by Marvin; 02-13-2014 at 06:06 PM.
Old 12-19-2013, 05:03 PM   #507
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

All of what you are saying Marvin are choices made by writers favoring Bats. It's really nothing more than that.

I've heard so many people talk about how Superman would kill Lois if they ever had sex, but I've never heard someone make this point before and it's brilliant. If Superman's bodily fluids are so dangerous, then he'd have to use a kryptonite toilet every time he takes a dump.
Old 12-19-2013, 05:08 PM   #508
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by charl_huntress View Post
All of what you are saying Marvin are choices made by writers favoring Bats. It's really nothing more than that.
I know Timm is known to favor batman. Miller obviously.
Morrison/Waid/JoeKelly...I have my doubts.

Unfortunately for some of you, I have a feeling Snyder and Goyer and Affleck might favor the former. Hopefully they simply produce what's best.

Old 12-19-2013, 05:15 PM   #509
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Again...I'd like a story that includes both of them in the story equally so no one is favored over anyone.

I've heard so many people talk about how Superman would kill Lois if they ever had sex, but I've never heard someone make this point before and it's brilliant. If Superman's bodily fluids are so dangerous, then he'd have to use a kryptonite toilet every time he takes a dump.
Old 12-19-2013, 05:23 PM   #510
MrsKent26
Whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Unfortunately for some of you, I have a feeling Snyder and Goyer and Affleck might favor the former. Hopefully they simply produce what's best.
I have a feeling batman will be favored too. And I reckon that's why batman's fans are ok with some decisions regarding this movie while Superman fans are skeptical. Batfans have little to fear. History is on their side. Superfans are sick of the same old shtick.

The degree of bat-favoritism is something that will inversely affect my enjoyment of the movie. So for my sake, I hope they don't go there.

And you can't really compare Luthor and batman. Because even though Luthor sometimes gets the upper hand, supes gets him in the end. Will he get bats? Doubtful. Bats has to look cool, after all.

Last edited by MrsKent26; 12-19-2013 at 05:30 PM.
Old 12-19-2013, 05:35 PM   #511
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Meh...I'm steeled either way. I've seen it done enough times that I won't be surprised if it happens. I also plan to treat this movie just like MOS, so no matter what happens I will be prepared.

Old 12-19-2013, 05:38 PM   #512
MrsKent26
Whatever.

I'm trying to prepare myself, but it's hard.

Mainly because of Cavill. I liked him so much as Supes that it will be hard to watch him be written as a useless simpleton that bats pushes around.

And now that this movie has more going for it, like a co-writer and possibly a great actor as Lex, it would be a shame to spoil it all with bat bias.

Old 12-19-2013, 05:43 PM   #513
Boom
I got nothin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
Somewhat ironic, really, even when you look at the DARK KNIGHT suit.
Considering that the TDK suit is a textbook example of an over-design.

Subtlety is left. That suit is right.

Old 12-19-2013, 05:43 PM   #514
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsKent26 View Post

Mainly because of Cavill. I liked him so much as Supes that it will be hard to watch him be written as a useless simpleton that bats pushes around.

And now that this movie has more going for it, like a co-writer and possibly a great actor as Lex, it would be a shame to spoil it all with bat bias.
It will be hard to watch. I will grant you that, but I lived through SR. Compared to that...this next movie will be a piece of cake.

I hope it is good and all signs are pointing in the direction that it will be. My biggest concern is that Supes will not be given much to do. He should have grown more in experience and be a lot more capable. I'd like to see this highlighted, but if it isn't...*shrug*. I won't be surprised.

Old 12-30-2013, 03:18 PM   #515
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

The second person in the below image might be Goyer given how he himself blew Clark's cover in MOS. :P

Old 12-30-2013, 03:44 PM   #516
BatFan1979
The Fan Batman Needs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsKent26 View Post

I think the key point of this movie is to develop the relationship between Superman and Batman to set us up for a JL movie in the near future. I think that they will give equal time to both characters in order to make this happen. They may be at odds at points in the film, but I don't think that it will be nearly the level that "Dark Knight Returns" portrayed. I mean in that book, they were already old "friends" at that point. The fight was a culmination of that existing relationship really.

Old 12-30-2013, 04:51 PM   #517
The Batman
The Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
There should be no doubt. Morrison, the so called creator of "Batgod", was the same guy who had Superman wrestle an angel. Superman in Morrison's JLA run was an absolute beast, and was not dumbed down for Batman's sake.

Hell, Morrison is one of the few modern writers who can write a perfect Superman AND Batman. And his favorite superhero is The Flash.

Old 12-30-2013, 05:02 PM   #518
manofsteel4life
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by slumcat View Post
The second person in the below image might be Goyer given how he himself blew Clark's cover in MOS. :P

Old 01-07-2014, 12:00 PM   #519
ЯɘvlveR
doilooklikeiknowwhatajpeg

has this been posted?

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 01-07-2014, 12:43 PM   #520
Axl Van Sixx
Comrade

While I would be lying if I said I wasn't worried a bit about Batman overshadowing Superman in this film, I will say that from a business perspective, it is very much in WB/DC's interest to portray the two heroes as equally cool.

After all, there's so much more profit to be made when you have two characters with similar popularity sharing the screen (as opposed to a "cool" Batman and subdued, lame Superman). It strengthens the overall brand if they can make both characters look awesome.

The best parallel I can think of is the situation with Kirk and Spock on the original Star Trek TV show, as recounted by Leonard Nimoy in I Am Spock. Initially, William Shatner was supposed to be the undisputed star and focus of the show, but as Spock's popularity took off, it began to cause a little tension between Shatner and Nimoy.

The former began worrying that Kirk would look dumb compared to Spock when the characters were trying to figure out how to tackle the challenge in that week's episode. So he began pushing for Kirk to come up with the solution instead, which often had the side effect of making Spock, in turn, look useless.

Eventually Roddenberry or whoever managed to convince them that the best way around the problem was to have Kirk and Spock portrayed as an inseparable team. That way, whenever the audience thought of one character, they'd automatically think of the other, and the differences between the characters would serve to complement each other and make each look cooler.

That's the way they need to tackle Batman vs. Superman. Play up the differences between these two characters in a way that doesn't leave one coming off "better" than the other, but where it becomes clear they need each other. It's a difficult challenge for any screenwriter, to be sure (given the massive differences in power levels between the two), but not impossible. There have been plenty of great comic book stories that ably revolved around exploring the contrast between Bats and Supes.

"We know the freedom that argues against communism is the freedom to enslave and the freedom to exploit."—Blanqui

IMT supporter
Old 02-03-2014, 09:53 AM   #521
Gabe99
Side-Kick

David Goyer to Direct 'The Breach' for Lionsgate (Exclusive)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borys Kit
In a late Friday night deal, Lionsgate emerged victorious over several other bidders to pick up The Breach, a package that has David Goyer attached to direct.

The package came together late last year when Goyer optioned the book and developed it independently with di Bonaventura but it only last week went to the studios. It drew interest from Warner Bros., Fox, Relativity and Millennium, but one reason Lionsgate nabbed it was by showing strong intent on fast-tracking the project.

Goyer, known for penning Warners’ recent DC-based tentpoles (Man of Steel was the latest) but who has been jonzeing to direct a movie since his 2009 thriller The Unborn, is writing the script for Constantine, the DC hero being developed as a TV pilot for NBC. He is repped by WME and Bloom Hergott.

Old 02-13-2014, 05:53 PM   #522
roach
I am the night

Goyer talks screenwriting

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in today’s protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You don’t like a story? That’s fine – don’t read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
Old 02-13-2014, 06:03 PM   #523
roach
I am the night

my bad cussing in the link

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in today’s protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You don’t like a story? That’s fine – don’t read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
Old 02-13-2014, 06:07 PM   #524
TheBat812
Side-Kick

awesome to hear him talk about his concepts with Flash. Wish that had come into fruition.

Old 02-13-2014, 06:18 PM   #525
roach
I am the night

Find his BAFTA screenwriting lecture...it is awesome to listen to him talk about the emotional core of Batman Begins and Man of Steel.

Closed Thread