The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

View Poll Results: Rate the DOFP trailer...
10 22 14.29%
9 30 19.48%
8 39 25.32%
7 26 16.88%
6 15 9.74%
5 11 7.14%
4 7 4.55%
3 1 0.65%
2 1 0.65%
1 2 1.30%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-31-2013, 02:03 PM   #176
T"Challa
Side-Kick

Default Re: Rate the Days of Future Past trailer

The problem with the trailer is the lack of that "oh s***!" moment. There's nothing wrong with having a character focused trailer and unlike some believe, The G.A aren't ADD drones that need big explosions to get their interest, but you do need to have some kind of hook. Look at the trailers for movies like Gravity, Argo and Life of Pi for what i mean.

for fans of the franchise the trailer may be good or even great and its definitely great to see the old gang back. But if you want to break through that ceiling that X-films seem to have and garner a whole new generation of fans similar to what the MCU has done, these trailers definitely need more oomph. I'm sure the next trailer will so i'm not worried but this just seemed like a missed opportunity to me.

1. The Avengers 2. The Dark Knight 3. Captain America: The Winter Soldier . 4.X-Men:DOFP 5. Guardians Of The Galaxy 6.Spiderman 2 7. X2: X Men United. 8. Iron Man 9. Batman Begins. 10. X-Men: First Class
T"Challa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 02:38 PM   #177
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

The "we need you to hope again" is imo the hook moment of the triler.

(90%-100% = Excellent. 80%-90% = Great. 70%-80% = Very Good. 60%-70% = Good. 50%-60% = Okay.
40%-50% = Mediocre. 30%-40% = Poor. 20%-30% = Bad. 0%-20% = Awful)
CyclopsWasRight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 03:11 PM   #178
kedrell
PopularisCulturaFanaticus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclopsWasRight View Post
Perhaps for the die hards but those aren't the one's the trailer should be going after. Whoever in this thread said this trailer was preaching to the choir was spot on. That's exactly what they are doing. You know Star Trek tried running their franchise that way. They almost went extinct. X-Men should not follow suit.

Old 10-31-2013, 03:22 PM   #179
T"Challa
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclopsWasRight View Post
For you and I, yes. because we know what that means and we have a general idea of what this story is and where its going.

But to those random parents who take their kids to go see Catching Fire, that makes little to no sense to them if they don't have prior x men knowledge. And those are the people you need if you want to make $700 mill + at the box office.

1. The Avengers 2. The Dark Knight 3. Captain America: The Winter Soldier . 4.X-Men:DOFP 5. Guardians Of The Galaxy 6.Spiderman 2 7. X2: X Men United. 8. Iron Man 9. Batman Begins. 10. X-Men: First Class
T"Challa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 03:35 PM   #180
Zarex
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedrell View Post
Perhaps for the die hards but those aren't the one's the trailer should be going after. Whoever in this thread said this trailer was preaching to the choir was spot on. That's exactly what they are doing. You know Star Trek tried running their franchise that way. They almost went extinct. X-Men should not follow suit.
Agreed. The "we need you to hope again" only works as a hook if you are already invested in the characters. But Stewart's Xavier hasn't appeared onscreen in non-cameo form since 2006 and McAvoy's version of the same character didn't send box offices aflutter back in 2011.

Though Singer and Co. have plenty of time to recover, their teaser trailer looked unfinished in comparison to Marvel's release in the prior week. CA:TWS's "teaser" featured a screen legend voice over and three "wow" moments between the crashing helicarrier, the Falcon dog fight and the WS shield catch. Marvel could put this exact same trailer on films next year and be confident it will bring people into the cinemas on the opening weekend.

If Marvel can put together a sweet looking helicarrier crash 6 months before the CA:TWS release date, FOX has absolutely no excuse for not showing a Sentinel attack in their teaser.

Zarex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 03:39 PM   #181
kedrell

I think it's as someone mentioned earlier, Singer's gun-shy after the drubbing that he got in that giant movie when it's first trailer was released with unfinished FX.

Old 10-31-2013, 03:41 PM   #182
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Oh boy trying to turn this Into Ms Is great and Fox sucks

The point of teaser Is

1:ANnounce the film is coming
2:Show this combins cast from both X-Men trilogy and First Class
3:Setup this Is time travel story
4:Help set the tone for film

Both domestic and foregin showing of teaser on youtube shows likes are winning by landslide.

Old 10-31-2013, 03:42 PM   #183
kedrell

Does anyone else thing the FC on location stuff in the trailer looks much better than the obviously on a set stuff all the OT cast is working with in this trailer? You can really tell the difference.

Old 10-31-2013, 03:47 PM   #184
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedrell View Post
I think it's as someone mentioned earlier, Singer's gun-shy after the drubbing that he got in that giant movie when it's first trailer was released with unfinished FX.
That's possibly part of the reason.

But it would have been easy just to show a Sentinel head with the eyes lighting up as it was activated.

We didn't need to see sequences from the film, just a Sentinel head switching on would have been enough, or a Sentinel leg/foot crashing down.

Old 10-31-2013, 04:06 PM   #185
Zarex
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
That's possibly part of the reason.

But it would have been easy just to show a Sentinel head with the eyes lighting up as it was activated.

We didn't need to see sequences from the film, just a Sentinel head switching on would have been enough, or a Sentinel leg/foot crashing down.
It didn't need to be much. Either a robot head or a group of flying Sentinels off in the distance as Storm prepares her lightning attack. Anything to let potential customers know that something new and exciting was being added to the franchise.

Singer has a much more impressive track record than the Russos, Webb and Gunn, and DOFP may turn out to be the Citizen Kane of post-apocalyptic mutant hunting robot movies. But this one needed a bit more baking before it was ready.

Zarex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 04:21 PM   #186
jignat
Side-Kick

Is there any confirmation as to which movies this trailer will appear with?

jignat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 04:28 PM   #187
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

Think its with Thor, I see Thor yesterday but didn't see the xmen trailer with it though

Old 10-31-2013, 05:22 PM   #188
Mrs Vimes
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post
The point of teaser Is

1:ANnounce the film is coming
2:Show this combins cast from both X-Men trilogy and First Class
3:Setup this Is time travel story
4:Help set the tone for film
I'd say the only real point of the teaser is to make people go, wow I really want to see that. And not just the people who watch it on YouTube and are probably interested in X-Men to start with.

Plus, unless there's a "this is just a teaser folks, real trailer is coming soon" disclaimer at the front, this will look just like a real trailer to the people who have not been following the movie online. And this doesn't look like a trailer for an epic summer movie with a $250 million budget, it looks like what you'd show a bunch of fans at a convention.

Mrs Vimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:14 PM   #189
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by T"Challa View Post
The problem with the trailer is the lack of that "oh s***!" moment. There's nothing wrong with having a character focused trailer and unlike some believe, The G.A aren't ADD drones that need big explosions to get their interest, but you do need to have some kind of hook. Look at the trailers for movies like Gravity, Argo and Life of Pi for what i mean.

for fans of the franchise the trailer may be good or even great and its definitely great to see the old gang back. But if you want to break through that ceiling that X-films seem to have and garner a whole new generation of fans similar to what the MCU has done, these trailers definitely need more oomph. I'm sure the next trailer will so i'm not worried but this just seemed like a missed opportunity to me.
I agree with that!

"Kill me before I kill someone else" - X3
"Where else would I be?" - X4
www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:03 PM   #190
Loki882
Side-Kick

I like how some people apparently know that this won't get people excited. They are apparently experts on what the GA will be excited by. For all we know, this will excite the GA. Just because some hardcore fanboys are underwhelmed doesn't necessarily mean that your average moviegoer will be. People seem to forget that.

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:10 PM   #191
Sun_Down
Groovy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
I like how some people apparently know that this won't get people excited. They are apparently experts on what the GA will be excited by. For all we know, this will excite the GA. Just because some hardcore fanboys are underwhelmed doesn't necessarily mean that your average moviegoer will be. People seem to forget that.
I think people are underestimating how much the GA loves Charles and Erik, who are featured heavily in this trailer. Got me excited, for one.

Old 10-31-2013, 10:54 PM   #192
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Every 'outside world' person I've spoken to in the past few days has absolutely loved the trailer. Two of the biggest fanboys I work with were talking today about how it "epic" it looked.

I think some of these general audience experts haven't spent a whole lot of time with an actual general audience.

Old 10-31-2013, 11:27 PM   #193
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoyse View Post
Every 'outside world' person I've spoken to in the past few days has absolutely loved the trailer. Two of the biggest fanboys I work with were talking today about how it "epic" it looked.

I think some of these general audience experts haven't spent a whole lot of time with an actual general audience.
Over at youtube the reaction In the likes catergry are very strong.And some
of those who comment on videos can be tough on X-Men films.

There are other places I go where people who haven't been excited by X-Men films since last Stand are excited for this film after teaser.

Old 11-01-2013, 01:21 AM   #194
LostSon88
Side-Kick

Some of you are putting wayyyy to much stock into a teaser trailer…

"It didn't have this." "It should've had that."

Its the first official look we've got of the movie. How about we temper the expectations a little bit? We're still 6 months away from the movie and some are already writing it off based off of 2:20 of spliced footage.

This is the first trailer and for me its a pretty good start. They gave us so much more than you'd expect out of a "teaser" and I appreciate that.

Old 11-01-2013, 01:26 AM   #195
Spider-Fan
Puppet tangled in strings
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:

I think it is a good trailer and people will see this movie in droves. But, I will say that I think it is less "crowd pleasing" than several comic book film teasers are. On this, I would agree with people. But, that said...this movie will be big.

Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 02:23 AM   #196
fangz
Side-Kick

wasn't too impressed with the trailer, the pictures they put out today of Magneto in the 70's and then Beast in the woods both got me more excited about the movie than the trailer did.

But for how it's just an internet trailer, I don't think it's hurting the movie, i think by the time it really gets close to coming out, there's gonna be a lot of great stuff to show from it and people aren't going to remember this one much if they did indeed dislike it.

fangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 02:55 AM   #197
Mrs Vimes
Side-Kick

Quote:

Were these outside people already fans of X-Men though, or have seen the previous movies?

Because if this movie wants to be truly huge, it will need to appeal to people who have never had a previous interest in X-Men.

Mrs Vimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 07:02 AM   #198
Loganbabe
Don't want your future

Worst: the music, really didn't like it. And some of the editing looked amateurish.

Best: Charles Xavier. McAvoy/Stewart intense delivery, and the contrast between broken young Charles and serene older Charles when they meet up at the end. Goosebumps.

8/10

James McAvoy & Patrick Stewart
Loganbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 07:31 AM   #199
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Vimes View Post
Were these outside people already fans of X-Men though, or have seen the previous movies?

Because if this movie wants to be truly huge, it will need to appeal to people who have never had a previous interest in X-Men.
Varied. Some were fans, others with a passing interest but not much knowledge about it.

Old 11-01-2013, 09:13 AM   #200
Antihero
Side-Kick

10 million views in 2 days is amazing.

The GA seems to love the trailer.It has been liked by the 96% of the people.

The trailer has established what it set out to do:
Announce the launch of DOFP
Time travel
Joining of both OT and FC casts

What else do people want?If people think the first trailer would have shown The Sentinels,they are seriously mistaken.

Antihero is offline   Reply With Quote