The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

View Poll Results: Should DOFP be used to reboot the X-Men franchise?
Yes 43 57.33%
No 32 42.67%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-04-2013, 05:57 AM   #276
gokira2012
Banned User

Default Re: Should DOFP be used to reboot the X-Men franchise?

My hope is that Logan doesn't go back to 2023 and is instead in 1992
and we are in the timeline of the X-men cartoon for the next film, with even the entire lineup for the cartoon

gokira2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:21 AM   #277
Mr.M
Side-Kick

Based on the specific spoiler that BAMF dropped regarding some of the 1973 politics and going-ons of the Vietnam pieces and other things already confirmed, I am >80% sure the ending is true and that's what they are going with. Such a change would make many fanboys happy, and Singer was being very coy about the whole thing so he is obviously aware of what the expectations are.

That being said, I don't think they are going to rehash anything in future sequels. I think this movie definitively closes most of the arcs from the OT and provides a satisfying conclusion people have wanted for some time now. So that will be a wrap as far as I'm concerned. As far as a FC3, maybe it wouldn't even be necessary, even if there is some alternative timeline. It would be nice to see a young Jean and Cyclops, but that story can be heavily inferred by the general audience based on a "new future" following DoFP. That's why X-Force may be more sensible. But you have the FC actors under contract and it wouldn't hurt to make that movie.

But there will definitely be a more expanded universe in post-future DoFP sequels. I expect characters like Gambit and Psylocke to get more prominent roles. Magneto/Xavier may have no roles whatsoever in movies set in the future. Wolverine can move into a supporting role as opposed to being front and center. I don't think they rehash any of the OT stories in a sequel or sequel trilogy with the exception of the Phoenix.

But you still want to give X-Men stories that X-Men feel, and the notable absence of Xavier/Magneto (due to the timeline and old age) in future movies will be heavy shoes to fill. That's why it's essential to have at least Cyke/Storm/Jean be front in center in stories such as Sinister and AoA. This makes the franchise much more viable going forward. Anything else would feel like an X-Men spinoff, like X-Force is shaping to be.

Overall, everything makes sense when I put these rumors in context. This will be the last film with the OT cast in all likelyhood, with FC 3 and X-Force on the docket before they gear up for X-Men 5 and beyond sometime in the following decade, with new actors.

Last edited by Mr.M; 11-05-2013 at 07:56 AM.
Mr.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 06:55 PM   #278
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

whats the "true ending" you are referring to? pardon my ignorance.

Old 11-04-2013, 07:47 PM   #279
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Overall, everything makes sense when I put these rumors in context. This will be the last film with the OT cast in all likelyhood, with FC 3 and X-Force on the docket before they gear up for X-Men 5 and beyond sometime in the following decade, with new actors.
The retirement of the original trilogy cast ....barring Hugh Jackman right?

The Centurions Live Action Film!
Tacit Ronin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:06 PM   #280
Fervid09
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0xyt0xin View Post
whats the "true ending" you are referring to? pardon my ignorance.
Here:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=895

Fervid09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:13 PM   #281
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.M View Post
Sure! Lets bring back the OT cast after 8 years to give them their proper swan song. And for X-Men 5, lets fill it with an entirely new cast.

It sounds unrealistic to me.

"I wanna be able to touch people, Logan. A hug, a handshake, a kiss." - X3
*smiles* *walks away* - X4
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:53 PM   #282
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Here Is the thing some keep saying they bring back OT cast to send them off
and then reboot but that doesn't make sense.Hollywood doesn't care if franchises have send off they just reboot.They certinly don't bring back as
many cast members as they are doing here.

If DOFP has an ending showing changes because of time travel the idea they
aren't going to follow up on that Is stupid.

I heard the theory of doing a followup to 1973 part of DOFP and an X-force trilogy and then rebooting.Again this model Is faulty.

Your have 4 maybe 5 actors from both first class and DOFP.They are limited
with what they can do especilly if they say onscreen the future Is 2023.

X-force Is them trying to expend with spinoffs not replace X-Men.That doesn't make sense.

If DOFP Is a disappointment at box office then they will reboot.

Old 11-04-2013, 11:06 PM   #283
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post
Some keep saying they bring back OT cast to send them off.
This is similar to the people saying back in 2006, that it would be impossible for Fox to bring back the original cast for a 4th X-Men movies. Fox had no problem whatsoever signing up the OT cast again, even Famke Janssen who wasn't asked to return in DOFP appeared in The Wolverine.

"I wanna be able to touch people, Logan. A hug, a handshake, a kiss." - X3
*smiles* *walks away* - X4
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 07:25 AM   #284
Mr.M
Side-Kick

I'm not gonna get into this debate again Psylock, nor did I deliberately attempt to provoke it. Give it a rest.

Lemme clarify, based on the spoilers, it pretty much closes the arcs of some major characters like Magneto/Xavier, and given the actors age in reality and in this future timeline, this is McKellan and Stewart's final appearances in all likelyhood. This ending would reinforce that. I don't think McAvoy and Fassebender would return playing any far future versions of their characters given their age, unless they Benjamin Button them the entire movie, which is possible.

The only other major box office draws are Jackman, Berry, Marsden, and Famke. Those are the other major X-Men characters from the OT. We know Berry has a small role. The latter two may not even be in the film or will be cameos at best. So I don't think that constitutes the OT cast being back officially for this movie, as they are CLEARLY not the focus of the film. Only Jackman is the major player returning.

I absolutely believe they could bring back Iceman, Rogue, and Kitty for future sequels, but I think the box office return from those actors in negligible compared to characters that can be recasted to fill the other iconic roles. I don't think it is essential to bring most of them back for more adventures, although it certainly wouldn't hurt.

Both X-Force and FC3 could take anywhere from 3-6 years to release, and would occupy Fox till the end of the decade, meaning X-5 could be as far as 2021 or 2022. We just have to wait and see if those are in fact the projects Fox decide to greenlight after this, which I think they will for at least one of those titles or more than two similar titles (before delving into an X-5 or AoA movie). That's just my belief and nothing more.

Last edited by Mr.M; 11-05-2013 at 07:33 AM.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:33 AM   #285
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

well according to rumor
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Famke and James Marsden appear in ending showing wolverine does suceed in time travel mission

DOFP showed the talk of they couldn't get OT cast back was wrong.Back In 2011 when Lauren SHueller Donnor talked about X4/X5 few thought they could
get the Cast back.They did.Hell Hugh jackman come back a few months after
wraping The wolverine.And can I also mentioned that Hugh used to say little
chance of X4 which Is basiclly what DOFP Is.

When studios want to reboot they just do.They don't care about giving fans or cast a sendoff.In Trek 2009 only Leonard Nimoy was in film from pre 2009 trek,and he was basiclly an expended cameo unlike hygh In DOFP.And we will be spending a lot more time In 20023 than trek 2009 did In 24th century.

Old 11-05-2013, 07:42 AM   #286
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

everyone keeps saying we didn't think they could get the OT cast back, oh come on the cast of the OT won't say no to returning to a comic book hero role, esp in this age where comic book movies are box office gold, its whether fox want to bring them back

as for bringing them back, yeah there is such thing as passing the torch, i personally don't think thats whats happening but saying because they are back means something about their full return... it really doesn't in the long run

just my 2 cents

Old 11-05-2013, 08:30 AM   #287
Mr.M
Side-Kick

Quote:
well according to rumor
Famke and James Marsden appear in ending showing wolverine does suceed in time travel mission

DOFP showed the talk of they couldn't get OT cast back was wrong.Back In 2011 when Lauren SHueller Donnor talked about X4/X5 few thought they could
get the Cast back.They did.Hell Hugh jackman come back a few months after
wraping The wolverine.And can I also mentioned that Hugh used to say little
chance of X4 which Is basiclly what DOFP Is.

When studios want to reboot they just do.They don't care about giving fans or cast a sendoff.In Trek 2009 only Leonard Nimoy was in film from pre 2009 trek,and he was basiclly an expended cameo unlike hygh In DOFP.And we will be spending a lot more time In 20023 than trek 2009 did In 24th century.
So in other words, the rumor won't be akin to Nimoy in Star Trek 2009, who got a pretty sizable supporting role toward the end. More like Into the Darkness Nimoy
Hell, Stewart and Mckellan may have similarly sized roles to Nimoy in 2009. The other rumors also question the validity of the entire OT from a thematic standpoint regarding that pair. That doesn't mean it can't lead to new, interesting possibilities, which could be explored in FC3. If anything it would indicate that they want to move away from the geocentric Xavier/Magneto mold of the franchise and branch off to different stuff.

The fued between that pair is the conflict the franchise and lead up to DoFP is built on. Wolverine's mission is to get Xavier/Magneto in line to prevent what is to come. Assuming Wolverine succeeds and the future leading into DoFP is prevented, there wouldn't even be a need for sequels to the OT, from a creative standpoint, unless they add more gimmicks like AoA cliff hangers. Anything else would just be fanboy fodder, (ie. let's really up the ante with Sinister, Apocalypse, etc.), which is certainly viable for another trilogy of X-films that may produce billions at the box office. That doesn't mean the plan is to do a Fast and Furious and bring everyone back for another 6-9 total appearances. That's not even close to concrete based on anything in reality.

All I'm saying is that Singer wants to wrap these loose ends a little more tightly and comfortably than TLS acheived, and perhaps leave open the possibility for more. This ending does exactly that. It does not embellish the idea that the OT cast needs even more limelight and additional moments of glory in future films. This ending provides a more than satisfactory conclusion, while leaving a remote possibility for many of the characters (and actors) to return in the future. I just think it happens to lean one way over the other, meaning it's a nice little wrap and no more will be neccessary with that cast. It's fine if people disagree with that.

Last edited by Mr.M; 11-05-2013 at 08:35 AM.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:39 AM   #288
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Plans are underway for followup to the Wolverine.This ends talk DOFP Is a reboot.

And everything says Patrick Stewert and Ian Mckellen have larger roles than Leonard Nimoy
had In trek 2009.Both Stewart and Mckellen are still active actors.Nimoy come out of retirement for Abrams trek and Fringe.

Old 11-05-2013, 09:41 AM   #289
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

i personally don't think a reboot is on the cards or even a star trek style reboot, although i might be wrong because i have nothing to back that up.

from how it looks to me singer is trying to create not just a universe but several different time frames of this universe (there is a better word for it but my mind is blank)

Old 11-05-2013, 09:42 AM   #290
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

Quote:
Plans are underway for followup to the Wolverine.This ends talk DOFP Is a reboot.

And everything says Patrick Stewert and Ian Mckellen have larger roles than Leonard Nimoy
had In trek 2009.Both Stewart and Mckellen are still active actors.Nimoy come out of retirement for Abrams trek and Fringe.
you get so insecure about any reboot talks, just calm down

Old 11-05-2013, 09:46 AM   #291
SuperT
Boom Shaka Laka

Quote:
First off all - no one here has ever said DOFP was going to be a reboot. Using an alternate timeline to tell different stories is not a reboot.

Secondly, you have no clue what the storyline is for The Wolverine sequel. For all you know it could be set in the past in the 70's, 80's, 90's - whatever. Or it could even just take place during the time Yukio and Wolve traveled together at the end of The Wolverine.

You have the amazing ability of taking small information and spinning it into absolute fact.

SuperT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:56 AM   #292
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

They aren't going to do reboot or erases entire series and then do another
wolverine film.Your never going to see anything In Star Trek films or TV
set In pre "Alternate timeline" or prime universe if you will.That Is why I
also knew first class was no reboot.You don't reboot yet have star of franchise
In another film.

Producers had already said they have openings to use both casts In films post DOFP.

Old 11-05-2013, 10:00 AM   #293
Mr.M
Side-Kick

We know nothing about the Wolverine film at this point. Maybe Mangold doesn't have all the details from DoFP. Maybe he is discussing with Singer and they have a pitch to set up DoFP. It's very possible DoFP is still the climax of the X-Men series and they can further expand the mythos at the same time. Frankly, I think a follow up to Wolverine would be much welcomed, as we have 7-10 years to explain how we get the future we see in DoFP.

Also, look at Tokyo Drift in the F&F timeline.

Old 11-05-2013, 12:05 PM   #294
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperT View Post
First off all - no one here has ever said DOFP was going to be a reboot.
The very existence of this thread - not to mention the current results of its accompanying poll - proves you wrong.

Quote:
Using an alternate timeline to tell different stories is not a reboot.
The fact that people keep bringing up Star Trek '09 - which WAS a reboot - as an example of what they think DoFP is going to do again proves you wrong.

Quote:
"Despair is for people who know beyond any doubt what the future is going to be. Nobody's in that position. So despair is not only a kind of sin - theologically - it's also a simple mistake, because nobody actually knows." - Dr. Patrick Curry
Quote:
"There is no "supposed to be." It's an adaptation, a word that literally means change. Why bother making a new version if it doesn't offer a fresh approach?" - Christopher L. Bennett
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 12:16 PM   #295
Mr.M
Side-Kick

There is evidence for both options at the moment. I went back to the article, and I don't think they confirm anything regarding the setting for a third Wolverine movie. Maybe they implied it was a sequel to The Wolverine or a prequel to DoFP, but that can mean a lot of things. The reality is, we just don't know if they Trek this thing or not.

Old 11-05-2013, 12:24 PM   #296
SuperT
Boom Shaka Laka

I would not be shocked in the LEAST if Mangold did the sequel to TW that took place during the time Yukio and Wolverine traveled before DOFP.

The evidence is in his approach to The Wolverine. He wanted to tell a story that was completely independent and stood alone with itself from some past continuity. It would make absolute sense if we were to do the sequel during the time period above because then he wouldn't have to adhere to any potential timeline changes that might muck up the story he could potentially want to tell.

It doesn't prove anything either way other than the fact that they are making another Wolverine movie. lol

SuperT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 12:27 PM   #297
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.M View Post
There is evidence for both options at the moment.
No, there really isn't.

Quote:
I went back to the article, and I don't think they confirm anything regarding the setting for a third Wolverine movie. Maybe they implied it was a sequel to The Wolverine or a prequel to DoFP, but that can mean a lot of things. The reality is, we just don't know if they Trek this thing or not.
There's very little evidence to suggest that DoFP is 'rebooting' or 'resetting' the continuity of the franchise. It might make some changes to said continuity, but everything we know in fact points to them keeping the majority of said continuity intact and continuing to build upon it with both this third Wolverine movie as well as with X-Force.

Quote:
"Despair is for people who know beyond any doubt what the future is going to be. Nobody's in that position. So despair is not only a kind of sin - theologically - it's also a simple mistake, because nobody actually knows." - Dr. Patrick Curry
Quote:
"There is no "supposed to be." It's an adaptation, a word that literally means change. Why bother making a new version if it doesn't offer a fresh approach?" - Christopher L. Bennett
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 12:28 PM   #298
TheComicbookKid
Lois and Clark 4ever

Quote:
They aren't going to do reboot or erases entire series and then do another
wolverine film.Your never going to see anything In Star Trek films or TV
set In pre "Alternate timeline" or prime universe if you will.That Is why I
also knew first class was no reboot.You don't reboot yet have star of franchise
In another film.
How many more Wolverine movies are you expecting out of Jackman.

The longevity of the X-men franchise as a whole is more than one extra Wolverine movie.

The last Kirk/Spock movie was over twenty years before the Abrams movie. People can handle knowing there are two timelines so that Jackman can wrap up his Wolverine trilogy.

All these crossovers are getting as bad as the freakin real comics.

Old 11-05-2013, 12:32 PM   #299
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

If they were going to do a trek 2009 to X-Men counity with DOFP there wouldn't be a film
set In so called "Old Timeline" they didn't go back to prime universe with Star Trek.

based On The wolverine I think James Mangold would do another film after DOFP so as not to limit choices.We know they talked about using rogue In The wolverine.Wouldn't surprise me in least they revisit that.

Old 11-05-2013, 12:36 PM   #300
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheComicbookKid View Post
How many more Wolverine movies are you expecting out of Jackman.

The longevity of the X-men franchise as a whole is more than one extra Wolverine movie.

The last Kirk/Spock movie was over twenty years before the Abrams movie. People can handle knowing there are two timelines so that Jackman can wrap up his Wolverine trilogy.

All these crossovers are getting as bad as the freakin real comics.
So but Hugh Jackman doing another film Is proof there Isn't going to be anye rasing of X-Men films In DOFP.You don't do that and keep star of franchise going.There Is no preceed for it.Fox and LSD are again showing they have no desire to "reboot" and If you really think Hugh jackman would do another oslo film but not a team film your living in denial.