#3 - Development of Frigga

#4 - Love Triangle Plot

#5 - Mjolnir Overdependency

#6 - Subway Scene

#7 - Final Battle and Death of Malekith

============

1) First Appearance of Thor:

Why the Change:

Thor’s first scene in the film did not have any build up. There was no big "WOW" or badass type moment for the audience to go “Yes! Finally! Thor is here!” Would have extended that whole battle scene a little bit more, and used that opportunity to showcase each of the Warriors 3 and Lady Sif separately in their full glory during battle so audiences who missed out on Thor (1) wouldn’t be lost as to who they are, and at least know they are not just mere Asgardian soldiers in battle.

Scene:

After each of the Warriors 3 and Lady Sif are showcased valiantly defeating multiple rebel soldiers to seemingly start turning the tide of the battle, the scene shifts to the horizon (possibly mountain or cliff) where a shot of hundreds or thousands of more rebel soldiers arriving.

Camera pans to Lady Sif / Warriors 3 as they give a facial expression of exasperation or aggravation as they have to do battle with much more rebels they anticipated.

As the new rebel reinforcements starts charging towards the battle field, the Warriors 3 and Lady Sif start to brace themselves, when suddenly the sky turns grey.

On the horizon, a bolt of lightning strikes down the heart of the rebel stampede, temporary halting them in confusion.

The Rainbow Bridge appears and the bright light startles the rebel forces.

After a brief second, the image of Thor clad in his full battle gear (including his famous battle helmet) knelt down on one knee, with Mjolnir faced top down on the ground, as if to give his final respect and honor to the foes he will soon vanquish.

(In Marvel's The Avengers, Joss Whedon made sure the comic book fans got easter eggs to see all different versions of Thor, the Original during the Iron Man battle, the Ultimate during the Hulk battle, and the Copiel during the Attack of New York. But, we never got the helmet. Even the Thor Dark World action figure toys all have the helmet in them, but never the film. This would’ve been a great, repeat, great opportunity for the helmet if it’s just for this 1 and only scene.)

One of the Warriors 3, possibly Volstagg would utter to Thor something like “What took you so long,” to break up the intensity a tad bit. Thor then proceeds to hammer down his foes as seen in the film.

============

2) Emotional Backstory for the Villain – Malekith

Why the Change:

Malekith and the Dark Elves were just portrayed as non-caring, non-emotional beings just like their face masks, fighting just for the sake of fighting. Problem is, the movie audiences didn’t care about them either. There was a huge disconnect between Thor and Malekith in this film - Malekith in the end felt like a throw-away villain.

Scene:

Backstory of Malekith could’ve been just a brief scene where his lover was killed during the war with Asgardians. Scene would sometime during the battle, Malekith gets shot (possibly an arrow), and collapses on the battle field. His lover, a soldier as well, runs to his aid and fearlessly defends him, shielding his body with hers, while he is still down on the ground. After a brief fight, she too is hit by an arrow, and yet she still defends him bravely. The Asgardians then fire a barrage of arrows into the air, into Malekith’s direction. She stays beside him and shields his body with hers, taking all the impact.

(A little scene like that would’ve given the audience something to understand about the villain of the film and evoke some kind of sympathy towards him and why he is hell bent on Revenge against the Asgard. This also produces a significant more emotional toll to the death of Frigga, where Malekith actually has regrets over Kurse killing her. This will intern impact Thor with a better emotional ending - see Change #7.)

============

3)
Development of Frigga:

Why the Change:

Frigga had very little emotional build up before her death. She didn’t even have a single heart felt scene with Jane Foster, the girl she sacrificed her life for, throughout the whole movie. Her only semi-emotional scene was with Loki, but even that was brief. She had no heart felt scenes with Thor, nor with Jane for the audience to really care about her.

Scene:

A simple scene where Frigga and Jane have a motherly talk about what Thor felt and his longing for Jane while they were apart, which culminates into Frigga basically giving Jane her blessing.

============

4)
Love Triangle Ended before it even Started:

Why the Change: Why start a love triangle relationship in the movie, only to have it basically end before it even started? Lady Sif’s relationship with Thor was only developed in 1 short scene. Not only that, but Thor had Jane real early in the film. The scene where Thor and Jane were about to kiss only to be interrupted by Darcy was perfect, because it got the audience all wishing for it more. But about 10 mins later, they kissed, leaving the same audiences that gasped just not caring as much. Instead, reward the audience with the kiss they had in the post-credits (that scene would have been 100 x’s more rewarding to see).

Scene:

When Thor and Jane are about to kiss in Asgard, Frigga arrives sprouting praises for Thor not knowing she had intervened on a kiss between the two.

A brief scene showing the awkwardness tension between Lady Sif and Jane Foster would have been great too. Like maybe Lady Sif asking Jane some personal questions, naively not thinking about her question (since she thinks like a hardened warrior), making Jane a little uncomfortable to answer, giving the audience something to smile / laugh about.

============

5) Thor’s overdependence on Mjolnir:

Why the Change:

Thor basically felt like just an ordinary Asgardian who only has powers because of Mjolnir The entire film saw that Thor always kept using and calling forth Mjolnir, not one time, except possibly the final battle (but it was so hard to tell from the camera being 100 yards away) did Thor even raise a fist and punched the villain. Made Thor look weak without Mjolnir being way too dependent on it.

Scene:

Possibly in the battle to reclaim the stone from Jane, a longer battle scene when after Thor loses Mjolnir, rather than try calling for it again just to end up trying to defend himself from boulders being thrown and getting pounded by Kurse, he should put up some fight too. What’s wrong with punching? Why doesn’t Thor just start punching the guy? Better than trying to defend himself while he’s always call for his hammer.

============

6)
The Subway Scene

Why the Change:

Ruins the emotional / dramatic flow of the final battle for London.

Scene:

Remove entirely. Insert to Deleted Scene menu on Blu-ray.

============

7)
Final Battle and Malekith’s Death:

Why the Change:

Final battle with Malekith was very short and anti-climactic. Over dependency for Thor not only in Mjolnir but also humans, especially humans felt cheap. Thor defeated his biggest foe because of a cheap plot device.

Scene:

Give Malekith the power to teleport, travel space (using the Space stone), instead of the whole teleportation plot device be an anamoly that crazy Dr. Selvig just learned how to harness.

Longer fight scene where audiences are up close and see the exchange between Thor and Malekith, instead of both being teleported from place to place with the viewing camera 100 yards away in the distance.

Malekith uses his “space gem” powers to easily dodge Thor’s blows (opening portals through his body that Thor’s blow ends up being teleported elsewhere). As the fight wages on and Thor looks like he’s losing, Thor later starts outsmarting his foe and uses Malekith teleportation powers to actually place hits (throwing Mjolnir out of the way, using his punches as a decoy to get Malekith to open a portal only to summon Mjolnir to strike him somewhere else).

The rest of the scene plays like the movie, but the final act comes after Thor defeats Malekith sending him back to his realm.

Thor collapses after victoriously defeating Malekith, but Malekith’s ship starts to crumble and is headed straight toward Thor. Jane rushes and tries to pull Thor out of the way to no avail. With no time left, Jane realizes there was nothing else she could do, but stay with the man she loves so she shields Thor from the impact.

The ship is shown crashing down to the floor, with audiences led to believe both Thor and Jane had been crushed under while Dr. Selvig, Darcy all start cyring out for both Thor and Jane.

Screen fade to black.

Blackness on screen starts to “blink”, like eyelids as if someone had their eyes closed and is just opening to see the world.

Thor awakens to see Jane lying on top of his frame. He wakes her up, confused yet happy to see she’s okay.

They look around and notice they are back in Malkeith’s realm.

Malekith is there with them.

Thor asks why Malekith teleported them here out of the way of the falling spacecraft.

Malekith simply responds that he recalls how his lover did the same thing Jane did to Thor trying to protect him.

Malekith dies, but dies with honor and the respect of Thor like a true warrior deserves (But Most importantly he earned the respect and sympathy of the movie going audience).

(Malekith is now seen by movie audiences among a higher tier of greater comic book villains, like Loki, most of the Spider-Man movie villains, and the Dark Knight villains, rather than just your generic, cheaply wasted villain "just to have a villain" like the Red Skull or Whiplash.)

============

Other Misc:

Less Darcy please; audiences prefer some comedy and especially clever/witty humor, but having a specific character whose purpose is to just serve as the movie's constant running gag is a bit much. Also, the comedy was stacked near the ending took away from said final battle even "Loki's death". This is Thor DARK World after all (Marvel, please don't make Captain America Winter Soldier a comedy as well).

The mid credit scene felt out of place as well, and could've used a smaller build up. Rather than cutting straight to Lady Sif and Volstagg being walked over by a Harley Quinn balerina, maybe start off by showing off shots of the Collector's surroundings first in order to get the audience's visual perception warmed up first that they are in a whole different place, before the queing actual arrival scene (rather than hitting the audience visually with a bus).

Last edited by Jordanstine; 11-11-2013 at 04:14 PM.
Jordanstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 01:36 PM   #2
Godzilla2000
A Healthy Addiction

Default Re: Changes: What you would do DIFFERENTLY for Thor Dark World

I'd eliminate some of the unneccessary moments to fit in the backstory for Malekith so we can have a clearer gauge of his motivations. I'd also decrease the humor to a sensible, realistic level.

- It's not your exterior that should be the litmus test of your value but what's inside your heart.

"One loyal friend is worth 10 thousand relatives." - Euripides
Godzilla2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 01:54 PM   #3
Moonwing
Side-Kick

Interesting information. One person on tumblr who actually worked on movie and I am 100% sure about it have written long post today on what writers done to this movie. They butchered it right on set, during the filming process.

Here is the write up of original ending:

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Q: what was the alternate ending to thor supposed to be? i know you mentioned it but you keep deleting the posts ): would you mind sharing again under a readmore or something just for a second?!

A: Thor defeated Malekith, recuperated on Midgard with Jane at his side, they had an adult discussion over their worlds being separate for a reason and agreed that it’s best for them both not to rely on a relationship but they’ll always care about each other.

Odin then came around (in a Midgardian suit, no less), took Thor home, Thor reunited with Sif (their relationship was left purposefully ambiguous), and he settled in to continue his work as the emissary between Asgard and Earth.

Loki was dead so all thing he have done was a redemption of a sort as those were genuine.

You may take it with a grain of salt of course but we will know for sure when deleted scenes will come around.

Moonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 02:17 PM   #4
Jordanstine
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwing View Post
Interesting information. One person on tumblr who actually worked on movie and I am 100% sure about it have written long post today on what writers done to this movie. They butchered it right on set, during the filming process.

Q: what was the alternate ending to thor supposed to be? i know you mentioned it but you keep deleting the posts ): would you mind sharing again under a readmore or something just for a second?!

A: Thor defeated Malekith, recuperated on Midgard with Jane at his side, they had an adult discussion over their worlds being separate for a reason and agreed that it’s best for them both not to rely on a relationship but they’ll always care about each other.

Odin then came around (in a Midgardian suit, no less), took Thor home, Thor reunited with Sif (their relationship was left purposefully ambiguous), and he settled in to continue his work as the emissary between Asgard and Earth.

Loki was dead so all thing he have done was a redemption of a sort as those were genuine.

You may take it with a grain of salt of course but we will know for sure when deleted scenes will come around.
Wow that's interesting!

Thanks!

Would you happen to have a link of this, maybe PM me?

Would love to read more!

Old 11-11-2013, 02:30 PM   #5
Moonwing
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordanstine View Post
Wow that's interesting!

Thanks!

Would you happen to have a link of this, maybe PM me?

Would love to read more!
I would like to, but the person already deleted this massage disclosure thing and dirty underwear.

I will send you links to write ups+ some other person from set comments. I guess everything changed the moment they decided they need to keep Loki alive... strange ending come in play. And btw I have seen myself some reports about Odin in suit thing that were from twitter and not from "Jane hating tumblr fangirls".

Old 11-11-2013, 02:52 PM   #6
Saturius
Side-Kick

I think I would've liked that possible ending for Thor/Jane. I really liked them in the first film but in this one the writers made no effort to develop them so I wouldn't have minded them ending it with that scenario. Plus it would've finally silenced all those Thor/Sif shippers who are getting a bit annoying personally.

Saturius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 02:57 PM   #7
Moonwing
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturius View Post
I think I would've liked that possible ending for Thor/Jane. I really liked them in the first film but in this one the writers made no effort to develop them so I wouldn't have minded them ending it with that scenario. Plus it would've finally silenced all those Thor/Sif shippers who are getting a bit annoying personally.
Yep. But than Loki`s popularity comes into play. He is his brothers greater nemesis in all realities. The bad thing: now he will probably die by Thor`s hand being villain all over again because you can cheat death only so many times before it becomes repetitive.

Old 11-11-2013, 03:25 PM   #8
TheHeatKitchen
Side-Kick

Less unnecessary comedy (that means much less Darcy and removing the subway scene as OP mentioned).

The rest of the movie wasn't perfect, but I really liked it, minus the abundance of horribly timed comedy.

TheHeatKitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 03:42 PM   #9
CosmicPinchy
Rock Lobster

Quote:

That doesn't sound like a good ending at all. Odin coming to pick up Thor? Sounds lame. Also, that whole worlds being separate thing doesn't really make a whole lot of sense given that Earth and Asgard are more connected now than they ever were before (the Avengers, Thor's relationship with Jane, the knowledge that everyone on Earth has of Thor and Asgard, etc). I'm glad they stuck with the ending for the film because the one above sounds awful.

CosmicPinchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 03:49 PM   #10
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla2000 View Post
I'd eliminate some of the unneccessary moments to fit in the backstory for Malekith so we can have a clearer gauge of his motivations. I'd also decrease the humor to a sensible, realistic level.
Very ell said. A joke here and there is something good, but having unnecessary characters always joking for no reason at the cost of trimming other much more interesting stories is just wrong.

Other than that, I would have turned Jane Foster into an interesting character once and for all. One a god could be interested in, in a convincing way.

Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 04:07 PM   #11
smallville fan
Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordanstine View Post
7 Changes I'd Make:

#1 - First Appearance of Thor

#2 - Backstory for Malekith

#3 - Development of Frigga

#4 - Love Triangle Plot

#5 - Mjolnir Overdependency

#6 - Subway Scene

#7 - Final Battle and Death of Malekith

============

1) First Appearance of Thor:

Why the Change:

“Thor’s first scene in the film did not have any build up. There was no big "WOW" moment for the audience to go “Yes! Finally! Thor is here!” Would have extended that whole battle scene a little bit more, and used that opportunity to showcase each of the Warriors 3 and Lady Sif separately in their full glory during battle so audiences who missed out on Thor (1) wouldn’t be lost as to who they are, and at least know they are not just mere Asgardian soldiers in battle.

Scene:

After each of the Warriors 3 and Lady Sif are showcased valiantly defeating multiple rebel soldiers to seemingly start turning the tide of the battle, the scene shifts to the horizon (possibly mountain or cliff) where a shot of hundreds or thousands of more rebel soldiers arriving.

Camera pans to Lady Sif / Warriors 3 as they give a facial expression of exasperation or aggravation as they have to do battle with much more rebels they anticipated.

As the new rebel reinforcements starts charging towards the battle field, the Warriors 3 and Lady Sif start to brace themselves, when suddenly the sky turns grey.

On the horizon, a bolt of lightning strikes down the heart of the rebel stampede, temporary halting them in confusion.

The Rainbow Bridge appears and the bright light startles the rebel forces.

After a brief second, the image of Thor clad in his full battle gear (including his famous battle helmet) knelt down on one knee, with Mjolnir faced top down on the ground, as if to give his final respect and honor to the foes he will soon vanquish.

(In Marvel's The Avengers, Joss Whedon made sure the comic book fans got easter eggs to see all different versions of Thor, the Original during the Iron Man battle, the Ultimate during the Hulk battle, and the Copiel during the Attack of New York. But, we never got the helmet. Even the Thor Dark World action figure toys all have the helmet in them, but never the film. This would’ve been a great, repeat, great opportunity for the helmet if it’s just for this 1 and only scene.)

One of the Warriors 3, possibly Volstagg would utter to Thor something like “What took you so long,” to break up the intensity a tad bit. Thor then proceeds to hammer down his foes as seen in the film.

============

2) Emotional Backstory for the Villain – Malekith

Why the Change:

Malekith and the Dark Elves were just portrayed as non-caring, non-emotional beings just like their face masks, fighting just for the sake of fighting. Problem is, the movie audiences didn’t care about them either. There was a huge disconnect between Thor and Malekith in this film - Malekith in the end felt like a throw-away villain.

Scene:

Backstory of Malekith could’ve been just a brief scene where his lover was killed during the war with Asgardians. Scene would sometime during the battle, Malekith gets shot (possibly an arrow), and collapses on the battle field. His lover, a soldier as well, runs to his aid and fearlessly defends him, shielding his body with hers, while he is still down on the ground. After a brief fight, she too is hit by an arrow, and yet she still defends him bravely. The Asgardians then fire a barrage of arrows into the air, into Malekith’s direction. She stays beside him and shields his body with hers, taking all the impact.

(A little scene like that would’ve given the audience something to understand about the villain of the film and evoke some kind of sympathy towards him and why he is hell bent on Revenge against the Asgard. This also produces a significant more emotional toll to the death of Frigga, where Malekith actually has regrets over Kurse killing her. This will intern impact Thor with a better emotional ending - see Change #7.)

============

3)
Development of Frigga:

Why the Change:

Frigga had very little emotional build up before her death. She didn’t even have a single heart felt scene with Jane Foster, the girl she sacrificed her life for, throughout the whole movie. Her only semi-emotional scene was with Loki, but even that was brief. She had no heart felt scenes with Thor, nor with Jane for the audience to really care about her.

Scene:

A simple scene where Frigga and Jane have a motherly talk about what Thor felt and his longing for Jane while they were apart, which culminates into Frigga basically giving Jane her blessing.

============

4)
Love Triangle Ended before it even Started:

Why the Change: Why start a love triangle relationship in the movie, only to have it basically end before it even started? Lady Sif’s relationship with Thor was only developed in 1 short scene. Not only that, but Thor had Jane real early in the film. The scene where Thor and Jane were about to kiss only to be interrupted by Darcy was perfect, because it got the audience all wishing for it more. But about 10 mins later, they kissed, leaving the same audiences that gasped just not caring as much. Instead, reward the audience with the kiss they had in the post-credits (that scene would have been 100 x’s more rewarding to see).

Scene:

When Thor and Jane are about to kiss in Asgard, Frigga arrives sprouting praises for Thor not knowing she had intervened on a kiss between the two.

A brief scene showing the awkwardness tension between Lady Sif and Jane Foster would have been great too. Like maybe Lady Sif asking Jane some personal questions, naively not thinking about her question (since she thinks like a hardened warrior), making Jane a little uncomfortable to answer, giving the audience something to smile / laugh about.

============

5) Thor’s overdependence on Mjolnir:

Why the Change:

Thor basically felt like just an ordinary Asgardian who only has powers because of Mjolnir The entire film saw that Thor always kept using and calling forth Mjolnir, not one time, except possibly the final battle (but it was so hard to tell from the camera being 100 yards away) did Thor even raise a fist and punched the villain. Made Thor look weak without Mjolnir being way too dependent on it.

Scene:

Possibly in the battle to reclaim the stone from Jane, a longer battle scene when after Thor loses Mjolnir, rather than try calling for it again just to end up trying to defend himself from boulders being thrown and getting pounded by Kurse, he should put up some fight too. What’s wrong with punching? Why doesn’t Thor just start punching the guy? Better than trying to defend himself while he’s always call for his hammer.

============

6)
The Subway Scene

Why the Change:

Ruins the emotional / dramatic flow of the final battle for London.

Scene:

Remove entirely. Insert to Deleted Scene menu on Blu-ray.

============

7)
Final Battle and Malekith’s Death:

Why the Change:

Final battle with Malekith was very short and anti-climactic. Over dependency for Thor not only in Mjolnir but also humans, especially humans felt cheap. Thor defeated his biggest foe because of a cheap plot device.

Scene:

Give Malekith the power to teleport, travel space (using the Space stone), instead of the whole teleportation plot device be an anamoly that crazy Dr. Selvig just learned how to harness.

Longer fight scene where audiences are up close and see the exchange between Thor and Malekith, instead of both being teleported from place to place with the viewing camera 100 yards away in the distance.

Malekith uses his “space gem” powers to easily dodge Thor’s blows (opening portals through his body that Thor’s blow ends up being teleported elsewhere). As the fight wages on and Thor looks like he’s losing, Thor later starts outsmarting his foe and uses Malekith teleportation powers to actually place hits (throwing Mjolnir out of the way, using his punches as a decoy to get Malekith to open a portal only to summon Mjolnir to strike him somewhere else).

The rest of the scene plays like the movie, but the final act comes after Thor defeats Malekith sending him back to his realm.

Thor collapses after victoriously defeating Malekith, but Malekith’s ship starts to crumble and is headed straight toward Thor. Jane rushes and tries to pull Thor out of the way to no avail. With no time left, Jane realizes there was nothing else she could do, but stay with the man she loves so she shields Thor from the impact.

The ship is shown crashing down to the floor, with audiences led to believe both Thor and Jane had been crushed under while Dr. Selvig, Darcy all start cyring out for both Thor and Jane.

Screen fade to black.

Blackness on screen starts to “blink”, like eyelids as if someone had their eyes closed and is just opening to see the world.

Thor awakens to see Jane lying on top of his frame. He wakes her up, confused yet happy to see she’s okay.

They look around and notice they are back in Malkeith’s realm.

Malekith is there with them.

Thor asks why Malekith teleported them here out of the way of the falling spacecraft.

Malekith simply responds that he recalls how his lover did the same thing Jane did to Thor trying to protect him.

Malekith dies, but dies with honor and the respect of Thor like a true warrior deserves (But Most importantly he earned the respect and sympathy of the movie going audience).

(Malekith is now seen by movie audiences among a higher tier of greater comic book villains, like Loki, most of the Spider-Man movie villains, and the Dark Knight villains, rather than just your generic, cheaply wasted villain "just to have a villain" like the Red Skull or Whiplash.)

============

Other Misc:

Less Darcy please; audiences prefer some comedy and especially clever/witty humor, but having a specific character whose purpose is to just serve as the movie's constant running gag is a bit much. Also, the comedy was stacked near the ending took away from said final battle even "Loki's death". This is Thor DARK World after all (Marvel, please don't make Captain America Winter Soldier a comedy as well).

The mid credit scene felt out of place as well, and could've used a smaller build up. Rather than cutting straight to Lady Sif and Volstagg being walked over by a Harley Quinn balerina, maybe start off by showing off shots of the Collector's surroundings first in order to get the audience's visual perception warmed up first that they are in a whole different place, before the queing actual arrival scene (rather than hitting the audience visually with a bus).
I like these changes. I'd say the same thing too, especially developing Lady Sif's character, then maybe Jaimie Alexander probably wouldn't be as disgruntled with Marvel. Omit some of the humor for this and it would've been better. I also agree on extending the first battle scene by say about 5 or so minutes? I found myself really getting in to the whole thing, then Thor arrived and fought the gigantic creature and ended the whole battle abruptly with one hit of his hammer.

WILL HAPPILY DEBUNK ANY HATER AND SEND THEM PACKING! :P
smallville fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 04:15 PM   #12
Rock Sexton
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

Quote:

Give me a break with this. LOL

Rock Sexton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 05:44 PM   #13
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

I would I have done Thor differently.

1) More Game of Thrones/Frigga Doesn't Die

Thor would have gotten in the act of this triple crossing business. Frigga's near mortal injury and rush to the Asgardian clinics, would have been told to Loki as a death, motivating him to enact his plan, which would have proceeded as known. The trickery would not have been revealed until the final scene of the film. This would have made his apathy make sense, by the way. A discussion earlier between Frigga and Odin would have been nice as well... another foray into young (teenage) Thor and Loki as they told this story would have been

2) Malekeith Developed

As has often been said, Malekeith would be delved into on a philosophical level. We wouldn't find his origins, per se, but he would espouse the virtues of darkness. The safety of not knowing. The ability to debase Gods into the mortal beings he knows them to be. Give him a few TDK Joker-like speeches, to make his tone all the more heavy and dark and serious, to offset the comedy in the film. Malekeith's motivation is his love of darkness, take that to the next logical place. To give him a slight emoting place, show him with the slightest hint of remorse after dooming Kurse to fight. This would require scarcely more screentime than he already had. His most famous speech would come when confronting Loki and Thor on the Dark World.

3) Thor's arc solidified

The other thing lacking in T:TDW was Thor having an arc. In the first film, he grew leaps and bounds, here he goes from an Asgardian warrior to a superhero in a matter of moments over a bit of revenge. A better arc to keep the title character as the most engaging would be to put him in a position where he chooses between Jane and his Father rather early, but then he has to choose between letting Asgard fall into chaos in his absence or Midgard falling into chaos in his absence. Raising the stakes on his final decision and leaving him in question, while giving him clear examples of the kind of brutality he's talking about to be King, exemplified by Loki and experienced first hand by himself would all play a big part in his next move. We also would have seen him command the armies earlier in the film

4) Removal of a *bit* of the comedy

There were only a few comedy bits that were unnecessary. One was Darcy's introduction. She should have been less cruel. She's not that loveable. The last was Thor's casual subway ride during the end of the world. That should have been an emergency Mjolnir ride. If they wanted something there, having Thor teleported awkwardly and then struck by his own hammer would have been unique and surprising and darkly funny, but cheap gags simply won't go over in that much tension.

5) They are Gods Though

I would take Odin's language about them not being gods and make it point out how gods are subjective. They had their hand in creating the world, their lifespans are well beyond what humans can imagine living for.

6) No, seriously, you have Alan Taylor, MORE Game of Thrones. So, the character you love most, Loki, dies... pretty much

I know we all love Loki. He's great... but this was his time to (almost) go. The last scene would have played out similarly until Thor revealed his deception to Loki at which point Loki would reveal himself and his plan and his stranglehold over Thor's life, and Thor would reveal Odin and Frigga, and the ensuant conflict/controversey about the Asgardian Throne between the four, which would involve more than a few choice words, old wounds, accuasations and double crosses, would result in Loki almost slaying Thor and Odin slaying Loki to Frigga's horror. This is what Thor would rebel against, this is what Thor would reject. Being that kind of king, that must deceive as his father does, as Loki did, in order to win. Seeing this kind of thing coming and going with it, Thor would hold his father responsible for that. Frigga would do her best with her magics to collect Loki's essence (THAT would be the last post credits) teaser, not a simple kiss that was a given knowing how the film ended that should have come before the credits.

Then in the post credits somehow Sif ends up safeguarding his essence for Frigga. The warriors three are the ones who turn over the Aether to The Collector.

7) The Aether and the Collector

I would have given them a bit more dialogue to spell out that it was the Aether that was the Infinity Stone that they were giving him. I also would have someone design the object to be a little bit more epic. It would look truly pithy next to the Tesseract.

Bonus) Hogun doesn't get sidelined randomly. What the heck was that!?

Conclusion

The movie was really solid, it just needed a bit more heart and brains (and a little less fanservice) to go from good to great.

DrCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 05:59 PM   #14
Warhammer
Half Monk, Half Hitman

- The Sif/Jane relationship could have had one scene.
- Loki's death scene could have been more dramatic instead of rushed. That would have made me think "Wow, Loki is actually about to be killed off" instead of "Seriously? I know he isn't going to go out like that."
- Loki seemed to be the only person to be affected by Frigga's death. A thirty second scene with Thor and Odin would have been sufficient.
- Thor didn't seem to care too much after Loki died. Again, a scene with Jane comforting Thor would have sufficed.
- Selvig's spears were a little jarring. I would have made it less hokey.
- Malekith should not have had the rumored scenes cut. His villain needed to be fleshed out.
- Thor and Jane's relationship could have been fleshed out more. They were in such puppy love that it was unbelievable. They hadn't seen each other in two years and only had known each other for three days.
- A scene could have been used to explain how the Bifröst was restored. One of the best scenes of the first film was that Thor destroyed it in order to save his enemies. It was already a little sketchy how Thor returns to Earth in The Avengers. Without any explanation, the significance of the ending of Thor is cheapened. All that was needed was a 1 to 2 minute scene.

One may have noticed a common theme in all of my complaints. The film was under 2 hours. Honestly, an extra 10 or 15 minutes would have done wonders. I don't understand.

Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 06:01 PM   #15
jmc
callin' it like I see it

There seems like so much cut out of the first act, it basically screams to many hands involved. I'd like to see a directors cut.

Fanboys make excuses, real fans acknowledge screw-ups.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
jmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:37 PM   #16
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

Agreed with the OPs on parts 2, 3, 4, 6 & 7

Some of the things i'd have done differently.

I'd have had more time for the warriors three and less human science club.

I would've cut Selvig and his embarassing comedy out and beefed up Darcys science skill with Jane so she actually was there for a reason other than to make jokes.

The final battle wouldn't just be mostly falling and interruptions. A longer fight with Kurse.

Loki would've died and been redeemed.

Thor would've worn his helmet at the funeral.

Instead of Friga the death should've been someone the audience has a bigger stake in like Odin or Heimdall. Since Oin is dead at the end why not make his death be the catalyst.

Thor and Jane would still have that spark they had in the first movie rather than being buddies on a mission.

Blade • X-MenSpider-ManBlade 2X-Men 2HULKSpider-Man 2Iron ManX-Men First ClassThorCaptain America: The First AvengerThe Amazing Spider-ManThe Wolverine
CyclopsWasRight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:27 AM   #17
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclopsWasRight View Post
Loki would've died and been redeemed.
I think a lot of the problems in the movie's structure stemmed from this. Loki's story was finished, satisfactorily, imho, and could have been even more satisfying if they had decided too, but instead of taking the franchise forward, they needed Loki to end up looking as great as possible. This represents a shift from being story-centric, which is what makes the MCU so awesome, to being actor/character-centric, which is going to suck later. It's what made the X-Men franchise the Wolverine franchise, and a world this big can't revolve around one character, no matter how loudly the fangirls scream.

DrCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:34 AM   #18
CosmicPinchy
Rock Lobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCosmic View Post
I think a lot of the problems in the movie's structure stemmed from this. Loki's story was finished, satisfactorily, imho, and could have been even more satisfying if they had decided too, but instead of taking the franchise forward, they needed Loki to end up looking as great as possible. This represents a shift from being story-centric, which is what makes the MCU so awesome, to being actor/character-centric, which is going to suck later. It's what made the X-Men franchise the Wolverine franchise, and a world this big can't revolve around one character, no matter how loudly the fangirls scream.
I don't know how many times it needs to be said, Chris Hemsworth, Tom Hiddleston, and I believe Kevin Feige all alluded interviews about Thor 3 being focused on Ragnarok. This requires Loki to be involved. The reshoots that were done for Loki did not include the ending, they decided he was going to live, probably when they thought about what they were going to do for Thor 3. Blaming Loki's survival on the fangirls is just dumb.

Last edited by CosmicPinchy; 11-12-2013 at 10:38 AM.
CosmicPinchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:01 AM   #19
theShape
Creature of Darkness

Give the film an EVEN tone.

I'm all for humor in big budget action epics, but this film was just jumping all over the place. Comic relief is necessary to break up the action and provide a bit of levity during intense sequences. However, there wasn't really a singular tone for TDW. For a film titled "The Dark World", this wasn't "dark" at all. There was no sense of dread, hardly a sense of urgency, because there was so much slapstick comedy intercut with everything else. It seemed as if there was even more "witty banter" in this film than in The Avengers. The endlessly shifting tone of the film -- light action, Darcy comedy scene, serious speech, badass action, witty banter between Thor/Loki, supposedly tragic death scene, "ominous" speech from villain, action scene intercut with Darcy comedy -- just didn't work.

Make Malekith an interesting villain.

If we're being honest here, Malekith had no personality. It was hard for me to connect with him, or appreciate him, as a villain because he hardly had anything interesting to say. His motivation was thin, at best. They just presented him as this guy who was evil and wanted to fill the universe with darkness. His interactions with Thor were pointless and borderline insignificant other than to provide action. If Loki wasn't in this movie, it would've been a total snooze-fest in the villain area, although Kurse was badass and underused.

Script definitely needed work.

Starting off the film with an Odin voiceover that tells the audience all they need to know about Malekith and the Aether just shows how ineffective the screenplay was. It's exactly the same thing that the Green Lantern movie had at it's start, explaining the history of Parallax's imprisonment or whatever. Pretty lame. Also, a great drinking game would be to take a shot everytime you hear the words "Aether" and "darkness" in TDW, although you'd be ingesting enough alcohol to kill yourself. And even after all the exposition about it, there was still not enough of an explanation for what the Aether was or did.

Post-credits scene should've been in the actual film.

Many people have mentioned this, and I totally agree.

Should have been less Loki.

I know, we all love Loki, but if TDW had given us a stronger and more compelling villain than Malekith (or at least a better version of Malekith), there wouldn't have been such a need to shoe-horn Loki into all the key aspects of the film. As evidenced by the marketing, it's almost as if Marvel didn't trust Thor to truly carry his own movie. Loki had almost as much of a crucial role in the film as Thor at the end of the day -- first character shown on screen, last character to be seen. Are we reaching the point of Loki over-exposure yet?

michael1975 on Superman/Batman movie -

"I no longer care. I am so utterly disappointed it's not even funny. When movie comes out and his horrible I'm going to come back here and laugh and say "I told you so"."
theShape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:06 AM   #20
Hyde
Ooga-Chaka

Pretty much agreed on the posts here about what should have been done differently. With just a little extra work this film could have been great. Maybe they could have changed the Aether's nature so that Malekith and the Dark Elves actually need it to survive as a race? Even something small like that makes him a little more interesting.

I still believe in heroes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
"I tell ya, that Jennifer Lawrenshinch, I'd like to put my olive in her martini."

Last edited by Hyde; 11-12-2013 at 11:09 AM.
Hyde is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:57 PM   #21
bullets
bang bang

There would of been less scenes with Darcy and the intern was an unnecessary character.

I would of had the end credit stinger with Thor and Jane placed in the mid credits. The entire audience walked out after the mid credit scene and probably had no idea what was going on. The ending would of been a crowd pleaser.

bullets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 04:10 PM   #22
herolee10
Ultimate Hero

In regards to changes that I would have made to the story:

• I would have had Hawkeye present in this film for the Earth scenes. Take out Darcy’s intern, and give that time to Hawkeye. Clint would be at London after SHIELD sends him there to investigate the convergence and would help Thor in the final battle by taking out the Dark Elves that would be terrorizing and killing innocent bystanders. He could also be there as a means of discussing with Selvig on how they both carried on with their lives after they were both freed from Loki’s mind control.
  • The film would be at least 2 Hours and 20+ minutes.
  • I would have had them exploring the concept of what it is to be a good king more and how Thor realized that neither his grandfather nor his father ended up being that different in the long run from Malekith when it came to sacrificing their own people in order to achieve victory.
  • The war with the Marauders wouldn’t have ended with the one battle at the beginning. I would have had Thor and company traveling across the nine realms and aiding the people affected by the war and having Thor learn that not everyone within Asgard’s protection/jurisdiction think so highly of Odin’s rule, thus giving more credit to Thor’s belief that he can do more good for the nine realms if he’s not on the Throne.
  • I would actually end the film with Thor’s reunion with Jane and not have that moment place at the very end after the credits.
  • Take out the comedic elements from the final battle.
  • I would actually have the characters reveal within the film itself and not wait till the post credits that the Aether and cosmic cube are infinity stones and reference the collector before revealing him in the post credit scene.
  • Actually have Thor and Jane question as to whether what they feel is sincere and real love or just an obsessions/infatuation in order to give room that they actually develop a real relationship by the end of the film.

I know I have a few more but these are some of the main things that I would have changed/added.

herolee10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 05:43 PM   #23
Warhammer
Half Monk, Half Hitman

Whoa, those are some great points...especially the Hawkeye and Odin stuff.

Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 05:56 PM   #24
smallville fan
Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
In regards to changes that I would have made to the story:

• I would have had Hawkeye present in this film for the Earth scenes. Take out Darcy’s intern, and give that time to Hawkeye. Clint would be at London after SHIELD sends him there to investigate the convergence and would help Thor in the final battle by taking out the Dark Elves that would be terrorizing and killing innocent bystanders. He could also be there as a means of discussing with Selvig on how they both carried on with their lives after they were both freed from Loki’s mind control.
  • The film would be at least 2 Hours and 20+ minutes.
  • I would have had them exploring the concept of what it is to be a good king more and how Thor realized that neither his grandfather nor his father ended up being that different in the long run from Malekith when it came to sacrificing their own people in order to achieve victory.
  • The war with the Marauders wouldn’t have ended with the one battle at the beginning. I would have had Thor and company traveling across the nine realms and aiding the people affected by the war and having Thor learn that not everyone within Asgard’s protection/jurisdiction think so highly of Odin’s rule, thus giving more credit to Thor’s belief that he can do more good for the nine realms if he’s not on the Throne.
  • I would actually end the film with Thor’s reunion with Jane and not have that moment place at the very end after the credits.
  • Take out the comedic elements from the final battle.
  • I would actually have the characters reveal within the film itself and not wait till the post credits that the Aether and cosmic cube are infinity stones and reference the collector before revealing him in the post credit scene.
  • Actually have Thor and Jane question as to whether what they feel is sincere and real love or just an obsessions/infatuation in order to give room that they actually develop a real relationship by the end of the film.

I know I have a few more but these are some of the main things that I would have changed/added.
I agree, also developing Lady Sif's character would've been beneficial as well. Jaimie Alexander deserved more in this film.

How about involving Sif and the Warrior's Three in the final battle? They could take out the henchmen while Thor goes after Malekith?

Not sure about Hawkeye showing up, feels like he was just shoed in. I felt we were already entertained enough with Cap appearing.

WILL HAPPILY DEBUNK ANY HATER AND SEND THEM PACKING! :P
smallville fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 06:09 PM   #25
herolee10
Ultimate Hero

Well the biggest reason why I’d have Hawkeye there is because of how he’s the only Avenger that’s not schedule to appear in any other Phase 2 film before the next Avengers’ film.

If I or someone else could find a way for Sif and the Warriors 3/Heimdell to be present on Earth as well for the final fight after they were likely arrested for committing treason, then I by all means welcome it.lol

I did feel like the Dark Elves were really butchered when they came off as nothing more than the clay villains from the Power Rangers’ show with the way they were chasing around Darcy and her intern and how Darcy’s intern just lifted up a car, via magic gravity aid, and killed them. I mean, seriously? People who are supposed to be strong enough to kill Asgardians, are killed by Darcy and the Intern?

Honestly, it’s kind of hard to think on what would make a good arc for the Warriors three and Sif especially since they’re so tied with Thor and I haven’t heard as much about anything that they could go through that wouldn’t be related to Thor directly.

herolee10 is offline   Reply With Quote