The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Thor > Thor: The Dark World

Old 11-13-2013, 07:33 PM   #301
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

Default Re: What didn't you like about T:TDW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Manhunter View Post
My main complaint? It was too short. Does anyone know why Taylor was forced to cut all the stuff he said he did? I'm just baffled they cut all that. Is there some rule that MCU movies can't be over 2 hours?
Just cut out all the crappy comedy (mainly Darcy and that guy) and you have 15-20 minutes extra for far more4 interesting stuff. This didn't happen because they didn't have enough time, this is a "artistic" decision.

Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 08:51 PM   #302
RoryTate
Newbie First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Manhunter View Post
My main complaint? It was too short. Does anyone know why Taylor was forced to cut all the stuff he said he did? I'm just baffled they cut all that. Is there some rule that MCU movies can't be over 2 hours?
I wondered about that too. Despite the pacing problems at the start, I hardly felt like it was 2 hours long at all. Actually, the time went by too fast when I saw it. Perhaps some of the longer cuts that Alan Taylor was trying weren't succeeding in focus groups? Marvel Studios seems to be a fairly collaborative and respectful place, so I have trouble assuming that a director wouldn't at least be able to reasonably discuss being exempted from an arbitrary length constraint, especially when he appeared to have a good reason to make it a little longer (i.e. it would be a better movie).

RoryTate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 11:05 PM   #303
Golgo-13
Cadburys Creme Eggs

I still don't understand why Selvig was running around naked at Stonehenge..

Old 11-15-2013, 11:39 PM   #304
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

^Probably for comic relief.

"Kill me before I kill someone else" - X3
"Where else would I be?" - X4
www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 01:53 AM   #305
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

You know, even I will admit, despite it being a lackluster film to me, point blank, that a part of the reason that is so also has to do with the sequel material inherent in THOR that was not exploited and the disappointment that more of the iconic and interesting elements from the comic that so many were speculating and hoping would be in the film did not materialize in any way shape or form.

When you go back and read peoples high hopes for the film it is such a shame.

He truly proved that every person has the potential to be a force for good in this life. So anyone that reads this, do me a favor... Call your parents.
KRYPTON INC. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 02:29 AM   #306
Loki882
Side-Kick

Sif and the Warriors 3 being so pathetically underused was a particularly annoying example of this. You have so much time spent in the other realms and yet it felt almost as if they got LESS to do this time around. But of course Kat Dennings got her screentime didn't she, ugh.

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 02:51 AM   #307
Repulsor Blast
Walloping Websnappers

just watched thor again. man, they increased darcy's screen time by like a factor of 10 in the dark world.

i mean, i knew she was in the dark world heaps, but i had forgotten how sparingly, and appropriately, her character was used in the first film.

www.redlettermedia.com
Repulsor Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 02:57 AM   #308
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

I don't watch it but I guess TWO BROKE GIRLS is a bigger hit than I ever thought. Plus... Ya know... BOOBS.

He truly proved that every person has the potential to be a force for good in this life. So anyone that reads this, do me a favor... Call your parents.
Old 11-16-2013, 03:28 AM   #309
Heretic
Side-Kick

1. It felt short to me. It needed more time to explore the world and all of the characters. It had the huge world(s) that a Thor movie calls for, but didn't allow itself time to really get deep into plot, characters etc. Everything felt under-developed.

2. I hated pretty much everything that involved a human (except Selvig, he was funny). I don't need Portman's character being shoehorned into every Thor plot, and I don't need her sidekick and I REALLY don't need her sidekick's sidekick. I'd prefer Thor and her just break up and have his solo adventures away from Earth.

Heretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 04:27 AM   #310
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRYPTON INC. View Post
I don't watch it but I guess TWO BROKE GIRLS is a bigger hit than I ever thought. Plus... Ya know... BOOBS.
Her boobs are not at all showcased in this movie. Just her face.

I honestly liked Darcy in this movie, as Darcy and Sif were the only enjoyable parts of the movie for me.

Last edited by DA_Champion; 11-16-2013 at 04:32 AM.
DA_Champion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 04:45 AM   #311
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA_Champion View Post
Her boobs are not at all showcased in this movie. Just her face.

I honestly liked Darcy in this movie, as Darcy and Sif were the only enjoyable parts of the movie for me.

The way she flaunts those things on weekly TV I am sure there were more than enough horny teen males hoping to see more than her face when they bought a ticket to see TDW. That she would end up disappointing them too is par for the course with this film.

Old 11-16-2013, 05:01 AM   #312
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Now I just want to watch Two Broke Girls :P

I was thinking during the movie that Two Broke Girls takes the only thing Thor 2 does well (not including Sif), and does it better. It's similar to what I thought of Gossip Girl and Green Lantern, respectively, though I never did end up watching Gossip Girl.

DA_Champion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 05:41 AM   #313
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Pleasury View Post
Just cut out all the crappy comedy (mainly Darcy and that guy) and you have 15-20 minutes extra for far more4 interesting stuff. This didn't happen because they didn't have enough time, this is a "artistic" decision.

Whoever thought that upping Darcy's screen time and cutting scenes in Asgard to accommodate more of her (and her intern) was a good idea ought to be fired. Most of Frigga's scenes, all of Malekith's back story, some Loki scenes and other important parts of the film were edited out, but that twit and her stupidity made it through just fine. It doesn't make any sense for them to have weakened the film like that, for nothing.

xeno000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 06:18 AM   #314
Repulsor Blast
Walloping Websnappers

watching thor today, it struck me that he really doesn't acknowledge his earth friends (darcy, selvig) in TDW despite becoming good friends with them in the former (especially selvig)

he treats them like old acquaintances and nothing more.

www.redlettermedia.com
Repulsor Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 09:58 AM   #315
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

My only Issue with the movie was when the Dark elves are talking in Elvish the translations don't pause long enough and you miss out on the Action taking place while trying to read what they're saying

....to every King.

Coulson, "If the details of this gets out, the operation would be complimized"

Vartha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 10:37 AM   #316
metaphysician
Side-Kick

*cough* Honestly, I wish in retrospect that they had Kat Denning playing Jane Foster in the first place. . .

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 01:00 PM   #317
Feenix
Formerly CosmicPinchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golgo-13 View Post
His mind was all messed up from the Avengers. Selvig makes reference to it in the movie by talking about having a god in his head.

Feenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 01:41 PM   #318
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
Whoever thought that upping Darcy's screen time and cutting scenes in Asgard to accommodate more of her (and her intern) was a good idea ought to be fired. Most of Frigga's scenes, all of Malekith's back story, some Loki scenes and other important parts of the film were edited out, but that twit and her stupidity made it through just fine. It doesn't make any sense for them to have weakened the film like that, for nothing.
I know, and I agree. But believe me, that person is far from being fired. I bet my money that very person is now thinking of an actor to play Darcy's intern's intern in Thor 3.

Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 02:35 PM   #319
Godzilla2000
Super Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golgo-13 View Post
I'm going to have to say that bump on the head from the Avengers was a lot more severe than previously thought and he's suffering from brain damage?

The Curious Stranger:
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

- Your Jedi mind tricks don't work on me.
Godzilla2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 10:48 AM   #320
mnedel

I mostly agree with what others have already said about humor, Darcy and so on. So won’t repeat that.
In my opinion, the prolog was too short. We are told the Asgardians destroyed the elves but we are only shown the elf army. The prolog should have had something like:
Odin: “And then Bor did the unspeakable. In order to protect the universe and billions of lives he destroyed the dark elf race, killed them all. “And while Odin is speaking we are shown a scene of elf women, children fleeing while their city is being destroyed by asgardians. That would give a strong motivation to Malekith, bring in some needed moral ambiguity and would play in well with what Loki said about Odin and Asgard.
Also, I don’t see how Malekith, without the Aiter, was a threat to Asgard. He had one ship, one berserker and a couple of dozen solders. Asgard has over 10 000 solders and Thor, Odin, Himedal and warriors three who could easily destroy Kurse together. A few thousand years ago Bor defeated a whole elf army with hundreds of ships, who knows how many solders and berserkers. I don’t get it.
And about the final battle, Melekith is unleashing a universe destroying weapon and all it does is make a hole in a lawn in London. I know Melekith didn’t get to deploy it fully but it still should have caused something to be remembered and feared for generations. Something to show the people of Earth how close they came to destruction. All of London should have been leveled, hell, all of Western Europe and then Thor defeats Melekith with an inch of his life left.
Hmm, I guess this is too serious for Marvel and I shouldn’t expect serious sci-fi from superhero movies. I will continue to watch Thor movies for Thor, Loki and Odin. Their relationship and fantasy setting (less Earth please) is what brought me to Marvel in the first place and I did still enjoy Thor the Dark World but I will probably skip the movies not featuring these characters.

mnedel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 10:10 PM   #321
Loki882
Side-Kick

I don't know, Man of Steel did the whole "serious sci-fi" thing pretty well during Zod's attack on Metropolis, so it can be done. You don't introduce a villain whose sole motivation is to "destroy the universe and kill everyone" and uses a horrific weapon to do so, it should be more serious than it was. The comedy creates tonal whiplash.

Old 11-18-2013, 06:23 AM   #322
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

I really didn't like the fact on how weak both Malekith and even Loki come off when they don't have some special form of weapon/ancient artifact to aid them.

I mean I got the impression that frigga could have easily beaten Malekith had Kurse not been there. And despite showing that he can move things with his mind when angry enough, they completely drop this ability when Loki is fighting the Dark Elves. I mean it seems like the only things that he's good at is creating illusions and finding means to mask himself from Heimdell's gaze, but aside from that, pretty much nothing really powerful when it comes to offense.

herolee10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:48 PM   #323
Loki882
Side-Kick

Yeah, Kevin Feige said that this film would have "a new villain, a big villain." Well Mr. Feige, your villain was new, but he wasn't all that big and not all that threatening either.

Old 11-19-2013, 12:21 AM   #324
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
Yeah, Kevin Feige said that this film would have "a new villain, a big villain." Well Mr. Feige, your villain was new, but he wasn't all that big and not all that threatening either.
Well, personally, I thought Malekith did have a certain intimidating presence about him.

I mean that slow-motion walk that he did while coming out of his spaceship and into the throne room in Asgard came off quite badass for me.lol

But when it came to layers and force, yeah, he wasn't much of a strong villain.

I kind of wonder at times on how Bor even managed to defeat Malekith and the dark elves considering that they were at their prime back then and how much trouble Malekith with his one mother ship gave to Asgard here.

Old 11-19-2013, 01:01 AM   #325
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Also, another thing that I didn't like was how they didn't even once fully address the "dark matter" subject that Loki briefly brought up in "The Avengers" regarding on how Thor came back.

Seriously, when the previous film makes it a big point in ending on the note that a person cannot travel between realms unless they have a Bi-frost bridge, only to come up with a unexplained plot device afterwards as a means of justifying how a person traveled back to Earth...it kind of makes a person scratch their head thinking about it as a whole.