The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Thor > Thor: The Dark World

Old 11-03-2013, 11:58 AM   #126
Oscorp
Side-Kick

Default Re: What didn't you like about T:TDW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GriffinSTatum View Post
Um... I just watched the movie yesterday... Everyone is exaggerating on the humor. The humor, it was present, but it wasn't like there was a joke every 30 seconds. There were many serious moments, and I think that they balanced it quite well. Since this is the what didn't I like thread, I will say that the only time I felt that the humor was out of place was during the final battle, an example when
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Malekith and Thor coming back from a different realm(Forget which one) and they were just sliding against a building(I forget what it is called)
, and after a certain characters death. Other than that the humor did not harm it at all IMO.

I don't know what the rest of you were expecting, but due to everyone's banter I was expecting the entire movie to have constant laughing moments when in reality I would say it took itself more seriously than it made jokes or funny moments.
I think I will enjoy this movie more on my second viewing when watching it on Blu-Ray alone or with just a couple of friends. Because in the theatre where I saw it, there were laughs constantly so it really felt like watching a comedy film. Watching it alone might make it easier for me to ignore the comedy tone and appreciate the other stuff more.

Old 11-03-2013, 12:12 PM   #127
T"Challa
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
And no one wants that. Every time someone mentions they want less humor, and be like the Phase 1 Movies again, everyone assumes that means they want no humor at all. Even though it makes no bloody sense, since people specifically mention the Phase 1 Movies which did have humor.

It's like the Batsuit argument. People don't want the armor look, and everyone automatically assumes they want spandex and use cheap cosplay images to discredit their opinions.
The point i'm making is this. Whatever comedic direction people think these movies are heading in, its probably not going to change. I saw this in a packed theatre and the crowd was having a blast with it. Its probably going to get another 'A' cinemascore grade similar to Avengers and IM3. if this continues to happen and the money keeps rolling in, Its going to remain the same because there's clearly a massive demographic out there that enjoys it.

So yeah, its just logical that if the levels of humor disturb you and ruin your enjoyment of the film, spending your hard earned money on future movies directed by guys with even greater comedic acumen than Taylor might be a bad idea.

1. The Avengers 2. The Dark Knight 3. Captain America: The Winter Soldier . 4.X-Men:DOFP 5. Guardians Of The Galaxy 6.Spiderman 2 7. X2: X Men United. 8. Iron Man 9. Batman Begins. 10. X-Men: First Class
T"Challa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 12:22 PM   #128
Oscorp
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by T"Challa View Post
The point i'm making is this. Whatever comedic direction people think these movies are heading in, its probably not going to change. I saw this in a packed theatre and the crowd was having a blast with it. Its probably going to get another 'A' cinemascore grade similar to Avengers and IM3. if this continues to happen and the money keeps rolling in, Its going to remain the same because there's clearly a massive demographic out there that enjoys it.

So yeah, its just logical that if the levels of humor disturb you and ruin your enjoyment of the film, spending your hard earned money on future movies directed by guys with even greater comedic acumen than Taylor might be a bad idea.
You're definitely right about that, but saying people expect TDKR or Watchmen from these Marvel Studios films isn't the most clever way to get that point forward when people several times have said that's not what they (we) want.

I think I'll watch CA:TWS on cinema, because I just can't help myself. But this time I will keep my expectations at the rock bottom and not let any trailer fool me. And as you said, given the directors of that movie, expecting anything else would be pretty ignorant. With the GoT director for Thor though, I hoped it would be more than what we got, but hey that's just me. The majority liked it, afterall.

Old 11-03-2013, 12:24 PM   #129
GriffinSTatum
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscorp View Post
I think I will enjoy this movie more on my second viewing when watching it on Blu-Ray alone or with just a couple of friends. Because in the theatre where I saw it, there were laughs constantly so it really felt like watching a comedy film. Watching it alone might make it easier for me to ignore the comedy tone and appreciate the other stuff more.
Well I live in a city where I guess laughing in a theater is a sin so... I have learned to laugh in my head haha. I would say the humor is actually close to the Phase 1 humor, there may be a bit more than usual but I don't think there is an over abundance. There was some ill placed humor that I have a gripe about but I don't think it took away from the overall film. However, in the subway scene, when the girl basically fell on Thor, my friend just leaned over to me and said "Really, she really just did that and acted like it was an accident".

GriffinSTatum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 12:27 PM   #130
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

There wasn't really anything I didn't like. The only thing that stuck out to me was they didn't (unless I missed it?) explain the reconstruction of the Bifrost. For me, it's the best of the CBM genre this year.

Llama_Shepherd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 12:38 PM   #131
Oscorp
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GriffinSTatum View Post
Well I live in a city where I guess laughing in a theater is a sin so... I have learned to laugh in my head haha. I would say the humor is actually close to the Phase 1 humor, there may be a bit more than usual but I don't think there is an over abundance. There was some ill placed humor that I have a gripe about but I don't think it took away from the overall film. However, in the subway scene, when the girl basically fell on Thor, my friend just leaned over to me and said "Really, she really just did that and acted like it was an accident".
Yeah, I'm open to the idea that I might like it more later. But I really didn't like Selvig and Darcy in this, and the way they goofed around, especially in the final fight, made the whole threat feel kinda non-existant and that takes away all the excitement for me. I think overall in the movie, Selvig an Darcy had way too much screen time. Screen time that could've been given to the villain or Sif. Other than that, the fight was great actually, and the action overall was very good.

Haha the film made me realise that I should go to the gym! :P With that body, things would be so much easier Haha I saw some women looking at their friends like during a shirtless Thor scene.

EDIT: That scene you're speaking of, I actually think that's good. Women are sexualised in films all the time, it's only fair that they get something too :P I heard Chris was hesitant on filming the shirtless scene because he first didn't see any point in it. Well that must be how pretty much every actress feels haha

Last edited by Oscorp; 11-03-2013 at 12:41 PM.
Oscorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 12:39 PM   #132
Oscorp
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama_Shepherd View Post
There wasn't really anything I didn't like. The only thing that stuck out to me was they didn't (unless I missed it?) explain the reconstruction of the Bifrost. For me, it's the best of the CBM genre this year.
The film takes place two or so years after The Avengers so they fixed it during that time.

Old 11-03-2013, 12:57 PM   #133
ThePowerCosmic
Straight Lording.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
And no one wants that. Every time someone mentions they want less humor, and be like the Phase 1 Movies again, everyone assumes that means they want no humor at all. Even though it makes no bloody sense, since people specifically mention the Phase 1 Movies which did have humor.

It's like the Batsuit argument. People don't want the armor look, and everyone automatically assumes they want spandex and use cheap cosplay images to discredit their opinions.
Blame the Galaga, Hulk smashing Loki, Hulk punching Thor, etc. moments from The Avengers that went over so well with audiences. To Marvel, that means to up the ante.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
ThePowerCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 01:06 PM   #134
Godzilla2000
Undisputed Kaiju Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowerCosmic View Post
Blame the Galaga, Hulk smashing Loki, Hulk punching Thor, etc. moments from The Avengers that went over so well with audiences. To Marvel, that means to up the ante.
What's funny is that I was telling my mom something similar to this yesterday.

"Ignorance is not bliss"

- Just want a life I recognize again. Don't want to be living someone else's prefabricated fallacy.
Godzilla2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 01:19 PM   #135
GriffinSTatum
Side-Kick

Quote:
Yeah, I'm open to the idea that I might like it more later. But I really didn't like Selvig and Darcy in this, and the way they goofed around, especially in the final fight, made the whole threat feel kinda non-existant and that takes away all the excitement for me. I think overall in the movie, Selvig an Darcy had way too much screen time. Screen time that could've been given to the villain or Sif. Other than that, the fight was great actually, and the action overall was very good.

Haha the film made me realise that I should go to the gym! :P With that body, things would be so much easier Haha I saw some women looking at their friends like during a shirtless Thor scene.

EDIT: That scene you're speaking of, I actually think that's good. Women are sexualised in films all the time, it's only fair that they get something too :P I heard Chris was hesitant on filming the shirtless scene because he first didn't see any point in it. Well that must be how pretty much every actress feels haha
Yeah Darcy/her Interim/Selvig sort of lowered what I thought of the movie as well, especially during the final battle. During the final battle, for a second, I thought Darcy and her Interim died, but then it turned out they were just transported somewhere else. And I didn't really have a problem with the scene on the bus, but my friend found it unrealistic, saying that any girl would do that "on accident" and blame it on the subway being bumpy. That made me find it even funnier for me. Oh and I am going to go see it again next weekend with a friend that is a girl, she is somewhat reserved when it comes to things like shirtless guys but I wonder how she is going to react to it(She is VERY reactive to anything that happens in movies, as if she is actually in the movie, as a character).

Old 11-04-2013, 12:58 AM   #136
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

The humour in Thor was a little over the top (like it was in IM 3) but there were 4 genuine laugh out loud moments for me.

1) Loki and Thor walking down the corridor with Loki using his shape changing powers - Funny.

2) Intern throws the keys into the portal and they don't return - Funny.

3) Thor places hammer on the coat rack - Funny.

4) Thor takes the subway - Funny.

All visual gags that don't linger waiting for the audience to laugh. This is the type of humour I like rather than the one liners, wise cracks and people TRYING to be funny.

Marvel Studios really needs to dial back the humour before it grows tiresome for the general audience as well as the hard core fans. Comedy should just happen it shouldn't ever be forced.

Last edited by spider-neil; 11-04-2013 at 01:30 AM.
spider-neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 01:26 AM   #137
GriffinSTatum
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-neil View Post
The humour in Thor was a little over the top (like it was in IM 3) but there were 4 genuine laugh out loud moments for me.

1) Loki and Thor watching down the corridor with Loki using his shape changing powers - Funny.

2) Intern throws the keys into the portal and they don't return - Funny.

3) Thor places hammer on the coat rack - Funny.

4) Thor takes the subway - Funny.

All visual gags that don't linger waiting for the audience to laugh. This is the type of humour I like rather than the one liners, wise cracks and people TRYING to be funny.

Marvel Studios really needs to dial back the humour before it grows tiresome for the general audience as well as the hard core fans. Comedy should just happen it shouldn't ever be forced.
I could not help myself but laugh at that scene. One thing my friend brought up to me when we were watching it(He talks through every movie we see together), was that it must be one strong coat rack to hold up mjolnir.

Old 11-04-2013, 01:55 AM   #138
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

My problem with these funny moments is I feel like they are trying to cater to the kids and the female crowd. And the male crowd will always watch these CBM films even if its so serious or not.

I just think MOST of the humour in this film are not needed. some of them are expected (like Jane's intern kissing the other intern), some of them are just corny, jokes that a Nickoledeon sitcom would pick up to and some of them made me question the film, why would Loki and Thor be joking around and shape shifting into different person, it just seems so unnatural.

Even if there were few funny scenes, I didn't laugh because I found they used too much humour in the film.

"Once you cage the beast, the beast gets angry" - X3
"Patience isn't my strongest suit" - X4
JOIN MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018/

Last edited by psylockolussus; 11-04-2013 at 01:58 AM.
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 02:02 AM   #139
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
You're definitely right about that, but saying people expect TDKR or Watchmen from these Marvel Studios films isn't the most clever way to get that point forward when people several times have said that's not what they (we) want.
TDKR or Watchmen or some cerebral movie is not the movie that I want at all. Watchmen confused me and I don't find the Dark Knight trilogy enjoyable at all. Its quite a chore to watch that trilogy.

So I hate it when people bring this up, when someone criticized Marvel for their use of humour or when someone criticized Marvel for being safe and not giving much depth into their films.

"Once you cage the beast, the beast gets angry" - X3
"Patience isn't my strongest suit" - X4
JOIN MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018/
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 02:33 AM   #140
Godzilla2000
Undisputed Kaiju Queen

Quote:
Thank you for saying this! It's so true there's an unfair double standard about the beefcake to cheesecake ratio in movies.

"Ignorance is not bliss"

- Just want a life I recognize again. Don't want to be living someone else's prefabricated fallacy.
Old 11-04-2013, 02:43 AM   #141
balanda
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
My problem with these funny moments is I feel like they are trying to cater to the kids and the female crowd.
Yeah, lumping in "female" adults and kids, not tasteless at all.

Also, I'm amused at your gendering of humour. Could you elaborate on what it is that you think men apparently don't like about it? Or are you upset that some parts of the movie don't cater specifically to you personally? It's a mainstream, blockbuster film aimed at a very wide audience, it's going to have a lot of different types of crowd-pleasing moments.

Personally, I thought the humour could be a bit over the top sometimes, since I was wanting to revel in the "darkness", but I found the jokes actually personally funny, and the movie did have a certain infectious irreverence, so I adjusted my expectations. I'm never going to get the movie of my dreams out of Disney, but I can get a bloody good one anyway.

balanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 03:37 AM   #142
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
why would Loki and Thor be joking around and shape shifting into different person, it just seems so unnatural.
C'MON, that was gold

Old 11-04-2013, 03:39 AM   #143
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:
Originally Posted by balanda View Post

Also, I'm amused at your gendering of humour. Could you elaborate on what it is that you think men apparently don't like about it? Or are you upset that some parts of the movie don't cater specifically to you personally? It's a mainstream, blockbuster film aimed at a very wide audience, it's going to have a lot of different types of crowd-pleasing moments.

Personally, I thought the humour could be a bit over the top sometimes, since I was wanting to revel in the "darkness", but I found the jokes actually personally funny, and the movie did have a certain infectious irreverence, so I adjusted my expectations. I'm never going to get the movie of my dreams out of Disney, but I can get a bloody good one anyway.
Don't you feel some of the gravitas was lost with the humour that left like it was coming every 10 minutes (at most!).

Old 11-04-2013, 03:43 AM   #144
balanda
Side-Kick

Quote:
Don't you feel some of the gravitas was lost with the humour that left like it was coming every 10 minutes (at most!).
AHAHAHA I was about to make a snarky comment about fanboys and "gravitas" but you made it for me. Thankyou *wipes away tears*

Old 11-04-2013, 03:49 AM   #145
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:
AHAHAHA I was about to make a snarky comment about fanboys and "gravitas" but you made it for me. Thankyou *wipes away tears*

What does being a fanboy have to do with a movie having or lacking gravitas?

Old 11-04-2013, 03:54 AM   #146
Adamantium Man
Just Another Metal Person

Quote:

Manly men don't laugh in the cinema, dontcha know. Life is a constant struggle for them, and their movies gotta reflect that. Explosions are fine, boobs are fine, car races are fine, but laughter? Get outta here.

Seriously, I totally agree with this post. Humor is subjective, and one guy's hilarious joke is the next guy's eye roll, but acting like humor kills all the drama is, in my subjective opinion, nonsense. It's not called comic relief for nothing. Laughing in-between two dramatic scenes is like eating a piece of white bread in-between tasting two different wines, to clear the palate for the next piece of wine, or drama, as the case may be.

But, of course, if a CBM is srs bsns and nothing but srs bsns, and if humor equals catering to the female crowd and to children (thanks for that generalization, btw, whoever originally did that), then I suppose you should just stick with beer.

Adamantium Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 04:07 AM   #147
balanda
Side-Kick

Quote:

What does being a fanboy have to do with a movie having or lacking gravitas?
Oh, sorry, it was just a quip, it's just... whenever I venture into a fan forum populated primarily by dudes, "gravitas" gets brought up sooner or later by very grumpy genre fans who are perhaps missing the wonder of their childhood. I used to think it was just Gallifrey Base, but nuuuuuuu. It's now a running joke in Doctor Who fandom. Sorry, nothing to see here.

Old 11-04-2013, 04:19 AM   #148
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:
Oh, sorry, it was just a quip, it's just... whenever I venture into a fan forum populated primarily by dudes, "gravitas" gets brought up sooner or later by very grumpy genre fans who are perhaps missing the wonder of their childhood. I used to think it was just Gallifrey Base, but nuuuuuuu. It's now a running joke in Doctor Who fandom. Sorry, nothing to see here.

No worries.
When I talk about gravitas I mearly mean storylines given the care and seriousness they deserve. I'm not talking 'darking up' a movie so it is sombre and morose I simply mean take the subject matter seriously.
Humour breaks up the tention but too much and I think it takes away from the weight of the situation.

Old 11-04-2013, 05:05 AM   #149
ironman_rick
Side-Kick

Stuff I didn't like :

1)Sif & The Warriors didn't really have many scenes of note, even "Ian" the intern seemed to have as many scenes as them.

2)I didn't like the mid-credit scene..... ben del toro give looked like the offspring of Ron Perlman from pacific rim & Wil Feral from zoolander.... That scene looks so campy.......I just hope GOTG isn't really as campy as that scene.

Old 11-04-2013, 05:18 AM   #150
Godzilla2000
Undisputed Kaiju Queen

So the impression I'm getting is that this movie is fluff, inoffensive fluff?

"Ignorance is not bliss"