The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Thor > Thor: The Dark World

Old 11-08-2013, 01:07 PM   #201
SilentWarriorZ
lemonidas

Default Re: What didn't you like about T:TDW?

yet another marvel sequel wasting plots and villains

SilentWarriorZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 01:16 PM   #202
Saturius
Side-Kick

Posted this in the fan review thread but I think it's more appropriate for this thread. Spoilers ahead so please don't read if you have not watched the film.

Jane/Thor: They were just poor. They had no worthwhile development at all. I'm actually shocked by how little time was given to this relationship. It was throwaway. I really liked them in the first Thor because they were fun, and they were NOT in love, a fact which EVERYONE and their mother seemed to not understand. Even Branagh was clear (in commentary) that these two weren't in love and that they themselves weren't sure what they were by film's end, just that they both had a desire to see one another again. So to have Jane pining for Thor for two years to the point where apparently she didn't shower and get out of bed (as per Darcy) was just asinine. Here it looks like Thor was about to confess his love and Jane possibly as well, but to me that just goes against what the first film tried to set up.

This should have been the film where they explore how they feel about one another, but that isn't done at all. The two just weren't developed well as a couple. Except for one small scene with the alignment talk, no effort is made to give these two any kind of depth or emotion as a pairing. Love or hate the couple, if Marvel is going to do it, they need to do it right, or at least try and put some effort into it.

Jane: She's wasted in this movie. She does nothing for the entire middle half, and only really becomes relevant again near the climax. I have no problems with Portman's acting unlike everyone else it seems( It's servicable), but this character definitely needs to be written better and she needs to be relevant if they're going to keep including her in these films.

Malekith: Sorry for anyone who I am about to offend, but I don't know how ANYONE can defend this guy. Talk about a weak villain. He has no screen time, poor, generic motivations, and again, just no depth. I had no problems with Kurse being one dimensional cause he's mainly just the grunt. But Malekith is supposed to be THE bad guy of the film. There's no justification for having two paper thin villains.

Ian, Darcy's assistant: Why on Earth was he in this film! His presence is actually sorta innocuous, but you take him out of the film, and nothing is lost. I think they needed someone for Darcy to play off of, but they could have just found Selvig earlier and he could have been that person. There was no need to devote time to this unnecessary character.

Impact: I actually think this was a big problem. There are emotional scenes that just lack impact. Frigga gets killed and Thor and Odin barely react. I mean damn, even during the funeral Sif looked sadder than either of them! They could have just been putting on a front but it just didn't play well. The subsequent scenes of their "grief" lacked gravitas for me. Thor and Loki's outburst on the ship almost worked, but something was still missing. I think a lot of it didn't work because of the break-neck speed of the film

Final battle: Okay, but interrupted far too much. I also wasn't all that clear on exactly what the hell Jane and Eric were doing.

Maybe my expectations for this were too high. Man I was so excited for this, but it just didn't deliver for me.

Saturius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 01:18 PM   #203
Hush
Wee Little Puppet Man

I didn't like that it was as light and fluffy as it was, I thought with Taylor at the helm we would have a stronger GOT influence and a darker sort of story and look I feel like that was a missed oppurtunity. I enjoyed this film but it ws lighter than I thought it was going to be based off interviews and such.

Oh and ****ing Kat Dennings, I hate her so much and cant stand her being Thor's franchise.

Avvy by Hunter Rider

H.E.
Hush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 01:21 PM   #204
jacobed
Banned User

Also something I both liked and disliked was the spaceships and laser guns. I don't know, I thought they looked cool but at the same time I sat there going what the hell am I watching.

jacobed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 01:25 PM   #205
Hush
Wee Little Puppet Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobed View Post
Also something I both liked and disliked was the spaceships and laser guns. I don't know, I thought they looked cool but at the same time I sat there going what the hell am I watching.
I didn't understand why the Dark Elves had them, would have made more sense as like magical staffs over blasters.

Avvy by Hunter Rider

H.E.
Old 11-08-2013, 01:25 PM   #206
Saturius
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobed View Post
Yeah, I'm sorta in the same boat. I'm just not sure how I feel about that. Seemed so out of place, but it was still kinda cool. And the Asgardian soldiers almost felt like they were wielding light sabers with their energy swords. I'm gonna have to give it another re-watch to finally find out how I really feel about the "star wars" feel of it all.

Saturius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 01:30 PM   #207
Bert
Side-Kick

Loved this movie... minor complaints flesh out Malekith and Kurse just a bit more... This could have been done easily too as the film was a bit short.

The exposition should have told throughout the film as Taylor wanted to do. He didn't care for the frontloading and he was right as it was the only drag in the movie.

Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 01:32 PM   #208
jacobed
Banned User

agreed about the exposition especially about the dark world and the elves. It starts out with Hopkins explaining them and then he goes on to explain them again half way through the movie. That explanation would have worked fine, we didn't need the one in the beginning

Old 11-08-2013, 03:37 PM   #209
Loki882
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hush View Post
I didn't like that it was as light and fluffy as it was, I thought with Taylor at the helm we would have a stronger GOT influence and a darker sort of story and look I feel like that was a missed oppurtunity. I enjoyed this film but it ws lighter than I thought it was going to be based off interviews and such.

Oh and ****ing Kat Dennings, I hate her so much and cant stand her being Thor's franchise.
If I remember correctly, Taylor's original version was darker and more gritty. However, Marvel insisted on certain changes, including more light-heartedness. At least that's what I heard, it may or may not be true.

Loki882 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 03:43 PM   #210
Nathan

Why even get the Games of Thrones guy if you're gonna Disney-fy the whole project?

Old 11-08-2013, 04:07 PM   #211
jacobed
Banned User

Agreed, I loved Alan Taylor's direction in this though, he did the best he could with the crap script he got. Everything was beautiful to look at except the dark world which was just dirt and that was a bummer. The actors all brought their A game except Hopkins who brought his grade A cheese

Old 11-08-2013, 04:34 PM   #212
Hush
Wee Little Puppet Man

Hopkins was kinda cheesy, in the last scene though he was very good.

Avvy by Hunter Rider

H.E.
Old 11-08-2013, 05:16 PM   #213
HUMANIMAL

star wars lord of the rings well thats a scifi movie....watched it a second time and i must ask why do some asgardian spaceships look egyptian? stargate anyone...oh and never bring a knife to a gun fight...bazookas...really?

the end credit scene was way better the second time...really keeps growing on me.
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
guardians of the galaxy is gonna be a blast

MY FANART AND MANIPS

Last edited by HUMANIMAL; 11-08-2013 at 05:22 PM.
HUMANIMAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 05:26 PM   #214
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturius View Post
Posted this in the fan review thread but I think it's more appropriate for this thread. Spoilers ahead so please don't read if you have not watched the film.

Jane/Thor: They were just poor. They had no worthwhile development at all. I'm actually shocked by how little time was given to this relationship. It was throwaway. I really liked them in the first Thor because they were fun, and they were NOT in love, a fact which EVERYONE and their mother seemed to not understand. Even Branagh was clear (in commentary) that these two weren't in love and that they themselves weren't sure what they were by film's end, just that they both had a desire to see one another again. So to have Jane pining for Thor for two years to the point where apparently she didn't shower and get out of bed (as per Darcy) was just asinine. Here it looks like Thor was about to confess his love and Jane possibly as well, but to me that just goes against what the first film tried to set up.

This should have been the film where they explore how they feel about one another, but that isn't done at all. The two just weren't developed well as a couple. Except for one small scene with the alignment talk, no effort is made to give these two any kind of depth or emotion as a pairing. Love or hate the couple, if Marvel is going to do it, they need to do it right, or at least try and put some effort into it.

Jane: She's wasted in this movie. She does nothing for the entire middle half, and only really becomes relevant again near the climax. I have no problems with Portman's acting unlike everyone else it seems( It's servicable), but this character definitely needs to be written better and she needs to be relevant if they're going to keep including her in these films.

Malekith: Sorry for anyone who I am about to offend, but I don't know how ANYONE can defend this guy. Talk about a weak villain. He has no screen time, poor, generic motivations, and again, just no depth. I had no problems with Kurse being one dimensional cause he's mainly just the grunt. But Malekith is supposed to be THE bad guy of the film. There's no justification for having two paper thin villains.

Ian, Darcy's assistant: Why on Earth was he in this film! His presence is actually sorta innocuous, but you take him out of the film, and nothing is lost. I think they needed someone for Darcy to play off of, but they could have just found Selvig earlier and he could have been that person. There was no need to devote time to this unnecessary character.

Impact: I actually think this was a big problem. There are emotional scenes that just lack impact. Frigga gets killed and Thor and Odin barely react. I mean damn, even during the funeral Sif looked sadder than either of them! They could have just been putting on a front but it just didn't play well. The subsequent scenes of their "grief" lacked gravitas for me. Thor and Loki's outburst on the ship almost worked, but something was still missing. I think a lot of it didn't work because of the break-neck speed of the film

Final battle: Okay, but interrupted far too much. I also wasn't all that clear on exactly what the hell Jane and Eric were doing.

Maybe my expectations for this were too high. Man I was so excited for this, but it just didn't deliver for me.
Good write-up. Agreed

(90%-100% = Excellent. 80%-90% = Great. 70%-80% = Very Good. 60%-70% = Good. 50%-60% = Okay.
40%-50% = Mediocre. 30%-40% = Poor. 20%-30% = Bad. 0%-20% = Awful)
CyclopsWasRight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 07:25 PM   #215
Isildurīs Heir
What are you looking at?

What i didn't liked about TDW......Idris Elba still being Heimdall.

Honestly....why is he?
Let's start by saying that i adore Idris Elba, i find him an amazing actor, doing great job in everything he enters, but......Heimdall is white, like all Asgardians are.
This is not a race thing, this is a mythological thing, Asgardians are Norse gods, Vikings, Scandinavian....do i need to go on?

Old 11-08-2013, 07:31 PM   #216
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

Asgardians in the film are not Gods. Odin makes that perfectly clear.

Old 11-08-2013, 07:38 PM   #217
speno94
Side-Kick

I really liked the film, 8/10 for me, it's not an X-Men 2 or Spider-Man 2 level sequel that really elevates the franchise dramatically, but at the same TDW is not Iron Man 2, X-Men 3 or Spider-Man 3 so it's it hits the middle ground.

In my opinion, this film NEEDS a director's cut or AT LEAST, they better show EVERYTHING that they shot for deleted scenes because I think this film could be great and I believe everything that Alan Taylor said about deleted scenes could make this film great.

Apparently there is a scene with Malekith on Swarvelfheim thinking about his family with his wife and children that could be interesting, also more of a sense of a Thor/Loki relationship with Malekith/Algrim in scenes. Also apparently their is more of Volstagg's family in the pub, more of Bor and more etc

Sure you could say with any film "oh, it needs a Director's Cut", but it's not like they didn't film the scenes for Thor because at point Alan Taylor said all the scenes where in the edit, but Marvel wanted to tighten it up and I think that Marvel should make this film to be their first MCU Director's Cut because Alan Taylor and I think deep down Kevin Feige knows that the cut scenes hurt the film slightly because you can tell in interviews.

speno94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 07:44 PM   #218
Synaptic Flow
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isildurīs Heir View Post
What i didn't liked about TDW......Idris Elba still being Heimdall.

Honestly....why is he?
Let's start by saying that i adore Idris Elba, i find him an amazing actor, doing great job in everything he enters, but......Heimdall is white, like all Asgardians are.
This is not a race thing, this is a mythological thing, Asgardians are Norse gods, Vikings, Scandinavian....do i need to go on?
No. You don't need to go on.

Synaptic Flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 08:00 PM   #219
John Locke
One is Dark One is Light

I feel like they didn't know how to end the movie. There is no real aftermath to the final battle and then it cuts to Natalie Portman explaining what happened. I feel like they could have shown us by using a montage like in Avengers or TDK/TDKR that concludes with the final scene instead of the characters literally asking what happened.

Nobody exists on purpose, nobody belongs anywhere, we're all gonna die. Come watch TV. -Morty Smith
John Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 08:39 PM   #220
ferpuerto17
Side-Kick

only thing is that I still have no idea what happened to Odin

ferpuerto17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 04:11 AM   #221
Blake II
Banned User

I didn't like how the humans in this movie didn't have more extra agent rectilinear to everything that is going on.

Why didn't Jane faint or was in a state of shock went she was sent to Asgard? I was expecting a more realistic reaction.

And how the hell was Jane able to breathe on that wasteland planet? What about those 2 fighter jets? So that planet has the same atmosphere and gravity as Earth?

Blake II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 04:27 AM   #222
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

I have the opposite reaction to the humor here than most posters, but in the end I think we come to the same place. I think all the humor worked well. Yes, Darcy's "intern" and Jane's lunch date were totally superfluous. That can't be stated much stronger. But what was done with them was not bad stuff. It's the dramatic/action parts that I found so lackluster and boilerplate. The villains of the piece were just kinda there, and kinda evil. Hohumm. The Jane/Thor relationship was not advanced one micrometer. Rene Russo and Alexander are WASTED, again some would say considering that Russo had her scenes that fleshed out her relationship with the men in Frigga's life in Thor1 cut out then. And with Jane, Thor and Sif together in one place you'd think they'd explore that. Nope.

For me the worst is that the set up for the film is better than the film itself. So... Thor has spent his time since getting back from A1 whooping ass all over the Nine Realms we are told because chaos has broken out, post Loki's actions in Thor1 and A1. Why is this happening is never revealed. Is it the fall out of the rampant destruction of the Jotun's world? Has this thrown off the balance of power in a political sense? Are other realms looking to fill a power vacuum? Is this the work of Thanos, perhaps? Don't know. We are never told.

Seeing Thor handle a pan-cosmic political crisis, giving us a better understanding of the Realms Asgard is linked to would be great, I think. Give us a tour of these worlds and the sentients that inhabit them. The general boilerplate nature of the whole affair, sans some moments of flair by Loki is what damns the whole thing in my eyes. It's not hyperbole to say this was a mediocre outing from Marvel. I was totally psyched for this based on the promise shown in the trailer. I feel the same way about Cap's new film. But now I am worried. A lot.

He truly proved that every person has the potential to be a force for good in this life. So anyone that reads this, do me a favor... Call your parents.

Last edited by KRYPTON INC.; 11-09-2013 at 04:34 AM.
KRYPTON INC. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 04:32 AM   #223
Smashlilman
Ouch!!!!

I didn't like the Deus ex Machina defeats of the villains.

Marvel also need to hire better comedy writers. I'm cool with the level of comedy in this movie just not the quality of the comedy in certain parts. My audience didn't laugh at the first half of the film. Not even Eric running around naked at Stone hedge. It's like the movie had no comedic timing. No one laughed until Loki showed up. It's like they're not setup to the comedic parts before the delivery. Loki's quick witted humor, Eric in underwear, Eric hugging Thor in his underwear, and Thor hanging Mjolnir from a coat rack were the only funny parts.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Last edited by Smashlilman; 11-09-2013 at 05:01 AM.
Smashlilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 05:06 AM   #224
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRYPTON INC. View Post

For me the worst is that the set up for the film is better than the film itself. So... Thor has spent his time since getting back from A1 whooping ass all over the Nine Realms we are told because chaos has broken out, post Loki's actions in Thor1 and A1. Why is this happening is never revealed. Is it the fall out of the rampant destruction of the Jotun's world? Has this thrown off the balance of power in a political sense? Are other realms looking to fill a power vacuum? Is this the work of Thanos, perhaps? Don't know. We are never told.

Yeah, their origins (the Marauders) aren't even fully explained within the Comic Book Tie in of the film. All that's said is that when Asgard lost its ability to travel between realms, the Marauders took advantage of the situation and started plundering other realms since Asgard was no longer there to defend them. If anything, they fit more with the description of "galactic gangsters" that Tom had once used to describe the Chitauri before their identity was revealed.

herolee10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 05:16 AM   #225
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
Yeah, their origins (the Marauders) aren't even fully explained within the Comic Book Tie in of the film. All that's said is that when Asgard lost its ability to travel between realms, the Marauders took advantage of the situation and started plundering other realms since Asgard was no longer there to defend them. If anything, they fit more with the description of "galactic gangsters" that Tom had once used to describe the Chitauri before their identity was revealed.

There should never be an explanation of something for a film in some kind of niche, tie in product, like an online video game or a novel or comic. I never read any tie in stuff. What you are describing sounds... plausible. But something tied into the politics of the Nine Realms and perhaps Odin's stewardship of Asgard would have been better. Why tap a GOT director if you aren't going to get into that stuff?

He truly proved that every person has the potential to be a force for good in this life. So anyone that reads this, do me a favor... Call your parents.
KRYPTON INC. is offline   Reply With Quote