Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight Rises

Closed Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 02:10 PM   #351
Travesty
TEOL

Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by shauner111;

That joke and the way you word it every 2 weeks got old about a year ago.

Last edited by Travesty; 12-28-2013 at 02:14 PM.
Old 12-28-2013, 03:23 PM   #352
shauner111
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travesty View Post

Old 12-28-2013, 04:24 PM   #353
Travesty
TEOL

Old 12-28-2013, 08:36 PM   #354
the last son
Side-Kick

Would have been a lot more interesting if he quit Bruce Wayne instead of Batman.

Old 12-29-2013, 04:27 AM   #355
BatmanBeyond
Future Dark Knight

He'd basically been quitting Bruce Wayne all his life in favour of Batman up until the end of TDKR. That was the point.

Cracked.com's Bat Battle: http://www.cracked.com/article_15029...ie-batman.html
Old 12-29-2013, 08:40 AM   #356
shauner111
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by the last son View Post
Would have been a lot more interesting if he quit Bruce Wayne instead of Batman.
How would it be more interesting to do the same thing that's been done over and over again with Batman?

Old 12-29-2013, 09:19 AM   #357
the last son
Side-Kick

Because that's Batman. That is what Batman does and what people love about him. Let's say we pick up a year after The Dark Knight. The movie begins at night with Batman escaping from police. Boom right away you set a tone that this is Batman at his full potential.

Old 12-29-2013, 09:23 AM   #358
shauner111
Side-Kick

Sure, that could have been cool. But id rather see something new and different while still taking the characters seriously, than another episode in Batman's career. I wouldn't have complained whatsoever, sure. But if i wanted the same old story id read the comics. Movies can venture away from the source material because they're not made for fans. The sooner people realize that, the more they'll be able to accept it.

Old 12-29-2013, 01:32 PM   #359
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

We saw Batman take down an entire SWAT team while apprehending The Joker, and then evading the police after being shot and busting up his leg at the end of TDK. I didn't really need to say more of that to prove that he was a badass, honestly. Whether people like it or not, the Batman we saw in TDK was the "Batman in his prime" of this series. Even Nolan said that the Batman we see at the beginning of TDK is meant to be the fully formed Batman of the comics. So, that's as close as this series was ever going to get to the Bat-God the fans crave. I think people need to start accepting that and stop looking at TDKR as some sort of missed opportunity to make him even more like the comics. That was never really the direction the series was going, even though some might have mistakenly perceived it that way.

Like shauner said, I wouldn't have necessarily complained if we got "another episode", but I think the way they did it was a good way to put the events of the first two movies far into this fabled history of sorts. I think it made Bruce's journey more epic. He started at pretty much nothing and first had return as Batman, then in the latter half of the film return as Bruce (climbing out of the pit, deciding he wants to live). That's one of the reasons I think the title is so appropriate- he's 'rising' throughout the whole movie in various ways, both literal and figurative. And then of course it applies to all the social upheaval/revolution and all the characters trying to improve their status in life one way or another (Selina's fresh start, Blake's "promotions", etc)

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158

Last edited by BatLobsterRises; 12-29-2013 at 01:40 PM.
Old 12-29-2013, 01:47 PM   #360
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
We saw Batman take down an entire SWAT team while apprehending The Joker, and then evading the police after being shot and busting up his leg at the end of TDK. I didn't really need to say more of that to prove that he was a badass, honestly. Whether people like it or not, the Batman we saw in TDK was the "Batman in his prime" of this series. Even Nolan said that the Batman we see at the beginning of TDK is meant to be the fully formed Batman of the comics. So, that's as close as this series was ever going to get to the Bat-God the fans crave. I think people need to start accepting that and stop looking at TDKR as some sort of missed opportunity to make him even more like the comics. That was never really the direction the series was going, even though some might have mistakenly perceived it that way.

Like shauner said, I wouldn't have necessarily complained if we got "another episode", but I think the way they did it was a good way to put the events of the first two movies far into this history of sorts. I think it made Bruce's journey more epic. He started at pretty much nothing and first had return as Batman, then in the latter half of the film return as Bruce (climbing out of the pit, deciding he wants to live). That's one of the reasons I think the title is so appropriate- he's 'rising' throughout the whole movie in various ways, both literal and figurative. And then of course it applies to all the social upheaval/revolution and all the characters trying to improve their status in live one way or another.
I don't think you understand what being "in prime" means. A Batman who just started out with not much experience or a 30-something year old Batman that just returned with broken limbs from a big fight is just as "in prime" as the Batman we are familiar with. "In prime" has nothing to do with skill.

It is for the same reason why Bane taking down a permanently crippled Batman doesn't equate Bane beating an "in prime" Batman but Bane beating a Batman that he personally weakened by releasing all of Arkham's inmates on to tire him does.

So to answer your point, yes, Batman in BB and TDK was always in his prime.

Last edited by Shikamaru; 12-29-2013 at 01:52 PM.
Old 12-29-2013, 02:06 PM   #361
theShape
Creature of Darkness

Quote:
Sorry C. Lee, obviously you're entitled to your opinion, but that's one of the most hyperbolic statements I've seen regarding the movie. I don't even think the biggest TDKR detractor on these forums, milost, would say TDKR was one of the worst movies ever made. In my opinion that takes things like performances, cinematography, score...basically everything else that goes into filmmaking besides the script off the table. And in evaluating films I think you have to take everything into consideration...everything that contributes to building the world of the story.

Again, that's your opinion and you're entitled to it however extreme it may be.

I'll have to agree with you here. I've witnessed a fair share of TDKR-bashing around here since the film's release, some of which may be warranted and some of which is completely unwarranted (in my opinion). Obviously, there are others who feel differently about the film than I do. Such is life. Certain relentless criticisms of the film used to bother me more than they do now. Still, I'll always respect a person's opinion if it is presented in a logical manner. We've definitely had some good debates/discussions in this TDKR thread that covered all the bases and viewpoints of the film itself.

However, when a person genuinely believes that The Dark Knight Rises is one of the worst films of any genre ever made, I have to seriously question that person's judgement...which also prevents me from truly valuing their opinion of filmmaking overall. A statement like that leaves me with more questions than answers. What other movies does this person think are the worst ever made? What movies would this person consider to be the best ever made?

Just imagine if I honestly stated that the 2004 Catwoman movie is one of the best movies of any genre ever. Or Gigli. Or Jack and Jill with Adam Sandler. How could you take my opinion seriously after a statement like that? Doesn't it seem ridiculous or far-fetched that a person could truly feel that way? Because that how it seems to me for someone to state that TDKR is one of the worst movies ever made -- pretty darn far-fetched.

Since C. Lee sort of just dropped that statement in here out of nowhere with no reasoning or explanation for his radical opinion, it came off like he was pretty much trying to stir the pot and grind some people's gears, although I hope that wasn't his intention. No big deal either way. His statement is just a bit jarring, to say the least.

Old 12-29-2013, 03:06 PM   #362
C. Lee
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Sorry C. Lee, obviously you're entitled to your opinion, but that's one of the most hyperbolic statements I've seen regarding the movie. I don't even think the biggest TDKR detractor on these forums, milost, would say TDKR was one of the worst movies ever made. In my opinion that takes things like performances, cinematography, score...basically everything else that goes into filmmaking besides the script off the table. And in evaluating films I think you have to take everything into consideration...everything that contributes to building the world of the story.

Again, that's your opinion and you're entitled to it however extreme it may be.

But I'll have to follow in DACrowe's footsteps and state my own opinion- that TDKR is not only of higher calibre than anything Marvel Studios has ever produced, but also leagues better than Man of Steel.

In fact at the moment, I consider it the second greatest comic book movie of all time.
That's fine....I know a lot of people love it....if you have ever read my posts, you will know that I never attack anyone for their opinions....and if you notice, I say that this is my opinion. I personally don't like it and I have explained in several posts in the past why I feel this way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theShape View Post
I'll have to agree with you here. I've witnessed a fair share of TDKR-bashing around here since the film's release, some of which may be warranted and some of which is completely unwarranted (in my opinion). Obviously, there are others who feel differently about the film than I do. Such is life. Certain relentless criticisms of the film used to bother me more than they do now. Still, I'll always respect a person's opinion if it is presented in a logical manner. We've definitely had some good debates/discussions in this TDKR thread that covered all the bases and viewpoints of the film itself.

However, when a person genuinely believes that The Dark Knight Rises is one of the worst films of any genre ever made, I have to seriously question that person's judgement...which also prevents me from truly valuing their opinion of filmmaking overall. A statement like that leaves me with more questions than answers. What other movies does this person think are the worst ever made? What movies would this person consider to be the best ever made?

Just imagine if I honestly stated that the 2004 Catwoman movie is one of the best movies of any genre ever. Or Gigli. Or Jack and Jill with Adam Sandler. How could you take my opinion seriously after a statement like that? Doesn't it seem ridiculous or far-fetched that a person could truly feel that way? Because that how it seems to me for someone to state that TDKR is one of the worst movies ever made -- pretty darn far-fetched.

Since C. Lee sort of just dropped that statement in here out of nowhere with no reasoning or explanation for his radical opinion, it came off like he was pretty much trying to stir the pot and grind some people's gears, although I hope that wasn't his intention. No big deal either way. His statement is just a bit jarring, to say the least.
As I said above....I have in the past explained my opinion. I am now leaving to go see the HOBBIT, so I won't be back on for several hours....

Old 12-29-2013, 06:05 PM   #363
Young Superman
The Last Son of Krypton

Which Nolanverse Batsuit is your favorite and why?

Batman Begins:

The Dark Knight:

Mine's BB suit, because it looks like something Batman would wear in the real would wear, and scared the crap outta criminals

Last edited by Young Superman; 12-29-2013 at 08:39 PM.
Old 12-29-2013, 06:07 PM   #364
Kane52630
ANIMUS VOX

Begins, easily.

Old 12-29-2013, 06:10 PM   #365
A Necessary Evil
Stark Raving Mad

Begins, especially because it gave birth to teh puffy

Quote:
The little A-Holes that could.
ANE's hate for TASM2 is epic.
Old 12-29-2013, 06:40 PM   #366
Travesty
TEOL

Begins, by far.

Old 12-29-2013, 07:13 PM   #367
Marvolo
Side-Kick

Quote:
That's exactly why it was poetic justice for Bane to get his via a catburglar on a bike. And deliciously ironic considering he gets mowed down by a true champion of the 99% he was falsely championing...after being defeated and humiliated by a 1 percenter that proved to be a bigger BAMF than he was.

Don't forget...Hitler went out like a b**** too and had a pathetic end.

And no, that doesn't mean Bane should've committed suicide in TDKR.
These were my thoughts too. When Bane took that artillery round to the chest tho whole theater went crazy cause that cocky bastard finally got his. Plus he felt the fire.

Dr. Neil DeGrasse Tyson: A Fascinatingly Disturbing Thought
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 12-29-2013, 11:48 PM   #368
shauner111
Side-Kick

People seemed to love it in the cinema.

Old 12-30-2013, 01:29 AM   #369
Marvolo
Side-Kick

As a whole I prefer the BB suit. But I think that the TDK suit from the belt up is perfect. Its badass looking, practical and real world. From the waist down something about the legs of that suit looks awful and this is exemplified when batman walks up to the thug he just knocked off the bike in TDKR. The suit just looks awful from the waist down. I think it's the boots. The costume designer has admitted that she never liked the boots and could never get them to mesh with the TDK suit. And it's 100% true. Those boots do not go with that suit.

Dr. Neil DeGrasse Tyson: A Fascinatingly Disturbing Thought
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 12-30-2013, 04:05 AM   #370
Tequilla
Side-Kick

Onscreen definitely TDK (and in Rises i think it looked even better). Just an all around great suit.

But i definitely have a soft spot for the animalistic style of Begins suit.

I really like how different they look , and that the films actually specify clearly why. An awesome detail.

Old 12-30-2013, 08:59 AM   #371
Pfeiffer-Pfan
Meow.

It's such a 50/50 issue with both suits... they look great in some shots and terrible in others, which makes it hard to choose.

Apart from a few shots in Batman Begins (Namely Bale's chin looking like silly putty at times), the Batman suit worked like a charm. The cowl/neck looked great and very animalistic. But I can see where Nolan is coming from, in that you're trying desperately to light the suit in such a way that doesn't make it look like a rubber toy.

Case in point, the BB suit looked HORRIBLE in The Dark Knight. I mean downright embarassing. Puffy, plastic and fake. Considering Nolan was getting the suit he wanted, perhaps he made no effort in lighting it appropiately.

As for The Dark Knight/Rises suit... it has it's moments but I feel overall we lost that base, animalistic BATMAN quality that the BB suit had in it's shining moments. But it did look more realistic and practical which helps in Nolan's world. The cowl looked great but I hated how the cape just hung off his shoulder like a towel, not to mention the small, barely noticeable bat-symbol on the chest. The legs never bothered me in film because, let's face it, we hardly ever got to see them.

However, for Rises, I felt they had the suit looking beautiful. It was lit properly, Bale filled it out better and they got rid of that terrible light bulb head shape. Plus the cape felt more alive again, draping over his body in parts. The cowl looked dreadful in the ''You have my permission to die'' scene so sadly it wasn't all good.

A mixed bag for both suits then and very tough to pick between them.

Let's just say Nolan's Batman was at his worst in The Dark Knight and had his moments in BB/TDKR.

I'll miss you dad! xx

Old 12-30-2013, 09:44 AM   #372
Travesty
TEOL

I hate TDK/R suit. I rather he wear hoskey padz.

Old 12-30-2013, 10:01 AM   #373
shauner111
Side-Kick

Love tdk/r suit. It'll never be my favorite live-action suit but i think it's awesome. Both suits are amazing. Ive more fond of the Begins one though.

When i think of Batman, i think of grey/black, maybe with a bit of blue. But for a movie? Or thinking of Batman as if he were real? Like what if the Batman existed? I think all black just works. It makes the most sense. Actually any kind of bright yellow, blue, etc just wouldn't make sense if he was out there trying to convince people that he was an overgrown bat in his first appearances.

Old 12-30-2013, 10:03 AM   #374
Travesty
TEOL

Yeah, I've seen you say that in other threads, but still confused why you're fine with the yellow belt? Does a bat wear any kind of belt?

Old 12-30-2013, 10:14 AM   #375
DyeLorean
Cinemaphonic Quadrovision

At least in TDK and TDKR they tried to stay away from this Batman:

Closed Thread