The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Thor > Thor: Ragnarok

Old 05-02-2015, 07:08 AM   #1
Tg11
Side-Kick

Default Balder the Brave

If anything I do hope they bring in Balder Odinson, Balder the Brave, Thor and Loki's brother and with him being brought in I wonder who they would cast? Especially if Balder were to ever be brought into the MCU

Tg11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 08:46 AM   #2
Fosterson
Side-Kick

Default Re: Balder the Brave

I'm not sure how smart of a move it would be to suddenly bring in another "Son of Odin" into this franchise, despite the fact that he hasn't even been hinted at, much less directly mentioned so far. It would seem unnecessary to those not familiar with the comics to suddenly introduce a new sibling for Thor and Loki only to kill him off early in the movie (since that's what his role in Ragnarok is, right?). Nobody would be emotionally invested in this character and therefore his death would carry no weight whatsoever.

And let's not ignore the elephant in the room. I can already see critics asking: where was Balder during the events of the first two movies? Three movies into a franchise is far too late to introduce major new characters. Beta Ray Bill also probably won't appear in the movie for the same reason.

Fosterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 09:04 AM   #3
seahammer
Asgardian

If they were to bring in Balder, I wouldn't want them to acknowledge him as a son of Odin (that was a pretty recent addition to the character, relatively speaking). I don't know that he's necessary at this point, but in a mostly-not-on-Earth Thor 3, I think there could be a place for him. In my Thor 3 treatment (link in my sig), I would explain his absence from the other films as a result of him being an ambassador to Nornheim, and therefore off world until now.

Read my Thor 3 plot pitch or how I would use Beta Ray Bill in the MCU

Read my Tales of Asgard mini-series pitch or my Son of Asgard flashback style Netflix pitch
seahammer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 10:32 AM   #4
Fosterson
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by seahammer View Post
If they were to bring in Balder, I wouldn't want them to acknowledge him as a son of Odin (that was a pretty recent addition to the character, relatively speaking). I don't know that he's necessary at this point, but in a mostly-not-on-Earth Thor 3, I think there could be a place for him. In my Thor 3 treatment (link in my sig), I would explain his absence from the other films as a result of him being an ambassador to Nornheim, and therefore off world until now.
It would still be a pretty flimsy reason. I mean, when you can travel to other planets at light-speed in a matter of seconds, why would Balder have needed to stay on Nornheim for all that time? Couldn't he at least have visited home a few times?

Fosterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 03:47 PM   #5
seahammer
Asgardian

Not if there is no reason to, and his diplomatic job takes precedence. Or if Karnilla has designs on keeping him near her.

It was just an idea...

Read my Tales of Asgard mini-series pitch or my Son of Asgard flashback style Netflix pitch
Old 05-03-2015, 12:30 AM   #6
Ragnaroknroll
Side-Kick

I very much would like to see Balder. It's not too late for any of these characters. Beta Ray Bill didn't come into Thor lore for 20 years.

A simple reason Balder has never been mentioned is because Thor doesn't even know about him. Odin hid him to prevent Ragnarok. Odin keeps secrets ALL THE TIME. That's what he does. Maybe he even made a deal with Karnilla who's obsessed with Balder or worse Hela - perhaps to induce a false Ragnarok to prevent the real one. Maybe Thor goes to Hel for Odin and wins back Balder too. I dunno. I don't write these films but I'm just spitballing here. Possibilities people!

Ragnaroknroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 08:48 AM   #7
seahammer
Asgardian

^ Great ideas. That's the real point, isn't it? There are a ton of creative ways that anything can be done in these films. Nothing is off limits as long as it is done correctly. Saying it's too late for Balder is like saying it's too late for Surtur, or Amora, or anyone else to show up.

Old 05-03-2015, 02:14 PM   #8
Ragnaroknroll
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by seahammer View Post
^ Great ideas. That's the real point, isn't it? There are a ton of creative ways that anything can be done in these films. Nothing is off limits as long as it is done correctly. Saying it's too late for Balder is like saying it's too late for Surtur, or Amora, or anyone else to show up.
Thanks seahammer. Totally agree with you.

Ragnaroknroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 10:15 AM   #9
Tg11
Side-Kick

Balder hell they can even acknowledge him as a cousin of Thor and Loki nephew of Odin

Old 05-07-2015, 10:17 AM   #10
Tg11
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnaroknroll View Post
I very much would like to see Balder. It's not too late for any of these characters. Beta Ray Bill didn't come into Thor lore for 20 years.

A simple reason Balder has never been mentioned is because Thor doesn't even know about him. Odin hid him to prevent Ragnarok. Odin keeps secrets ALL THE TIME. That's what he does. Maybe he even made a deal with Karnilla who's obsessed with Balder or worse Hela - perhaps to induce a false Ragnarok to prevent the real one. Maybe Thor goes to Hel for Odin and wins back Balder too. I dunno. I don't write these films but I'm just spitballing here. Possibilities people!
Yes this would actually be a proper way to introduce Balder, and that the reason why Thor and Loki had no idea that he even existed was because of Odin hiding him