The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Thor > Thor: Ragnarok

Old 06-03-2015, 10:51 AM   #1
Fosterson
Side-Kick

Default Who Should Die?

What characters (if any) should bite the dust in this movie? I mean, surely somebody's gotta meet their maker in a movie called Ragnarok, right?

Fosterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 10:54 AM   #2
ddddeeee
Side-Kick

Default Re: Who Should Die?

I think anyone not called Thor or Loki could bite it, which is pretty exciting.

ddddeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 04:20 PM   #3
ciscostudent561
Side-Kick

darcy
and her intern

ciscostudent561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 08:43 AM   #4
Fosterson
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciscostudent561 View Post
darcy
and her intern
*Sighs*

Old 06-05-2015, 09:27 AM   #5
seahammer
Asgardian

Well, that was inevitable in a thread called "who should die?" don't you think? Like it or not, justified or not, they are disliked by lots of fans.

Read my Thor 3 plot pitch or how I would use Beta Ray Bill in the MCU

Read my Tales of Asgard mini-series pitch or my Son of Asgard flashback style Netflix pitch
seahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 09:39 AM   #6
Fosterson
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by seahammer View Post
Well, that was inevitable in a thread called "who should die?" don't you think? Like it or not, justified or not, they are disliked by lots of fans.
Call me naive for thinking that such a thread could actually lead to an interesting and enjoyable debate, rather than just pointless name-calling. I guess I should have known better.

Old 06-05-2015, 11:01 AM   #7
Ragnaroknroll
Side-Kick

Quote:
Yes we know. Because we hear it ALL THE FREAKING TIME.

I liked Ian. I thought he was funny.

Marvel should make him wield Mjolnir just to really piss everyone off.

I'm kidding of course. I would be very surprised if he reprises his role for nothing more than a cameo. Let's move on already.

Ragnaroknroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 01:55 PM   #8
Fosterson
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnaroknroll View Post

I liked Ian. I thought he was funny.

Marvel should make him wield Mjolnir just to really piss everyone off.

I'm kidding of course. I would be very surprised if he reprises his role for nothing more than a cameo. Let's move on already.
Its still beyond me as to why he was ever put in the movie. Even for me, as someone who enjoys the Earth characters (especially Jane) in these movies, it strikes me as odd that Feige, Taylor and D'Esposito sat down around a table and said "You know what? This movie needs another goofy intern". He contributed nothing to the story and the actor (I forget his name) just seemed bewildered by everything. Maybe he was just a bit starstruck at getting to share screentime with Natalie Portman, Stellan Skarsgard and Chris Hemsworth!

Old 06-06-2015, 07:04 AM   #9
seahammer
Asgardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fosterson View Post
Call me naive for thinking that such a thread could actually lead to an interesting and enjoyable debate, rather than just pointless name-calling. I guess I should have known better.
I didn't seeing any name calling, but I understand what you're saying.

Quote:
You're right, it is a bit of a broken record. I was only saying that it was just a matter of time before someone posted that here, since it has been said everywhere else too.

As for who I think will die in Ragnarok... Probably a real death from Odin this time.

Maybe Selvig, depending on how much time they spend on Earth. Since I seriously doubt they'd kill Jane or Darcy, he might be the earth character to go (if any). He's been in more MCU movies than either of them, and just as many as Thor, BTW. Mindblowing.

It's too bad they haven't introduced Balder yet, since he'd be the obvious guess. I could see one of the Warriors Three taking his role. They have a hard time balancing that many characters for some reason, plus it could give some tugs on the old heartstrings two see the two survivors mourn the loss of the third.

Read my Tales of Asgard mini-series pitch or my Son of Asgard flashback style Netflix pitch
Old 06-06-2015, 07:50 AM   #10
Ragnaroknroll
Side-Kick

Quote:
Its still beyond me as to why he was ever put in the movie. Even for me, as someone who enjoys the Earth characters (especially Jane) in these movies, it strikes me as odd that Feige, Taylor and D'Esposito sat down around a table and said "You know what? This movie needs another goofy intern". He contributed nothing to the story and the actor (I forget his name) just seemed bewildered by everything. Maybe he was just a bit starstruck at getting to share screentime with Natalie Portman, Stellan Skarsgard and Chris Hemsworth!
Maybe they thought fans needed something to b***h about. I dunno. I figured he was just thrown in for laughs. He wasn't a major character. People overreact to stuff. He never bothered me one bit.

Old 06-06-2015, 08:03 AM   #11
Ragnaroknroll
Side-Kick

Quote:
Maybe Selvig, depending on how much time they spend on Earth. Since I seriously doubt they'd kill Jane or Darcy, he might be the earth character to go (if any). He's been in more MCU movies than either of them, and just as many as Thor, BTW. Mindblowing.
I really like Selvig. Probably the best developed of the supporting Thor characters. So yeah he'll probably bite it.

Quote:
It's too bad they haven't introduced Balder yet, since he'd be the obvious guess.
This is part of the reason I felt Ragnarok was too soon but "fans" b*****d so much about TDW maybe Feige thought they needed to go balls to the wall this time. I hope Thor doesn't end with a simple trilogy. It was one of the franchises I thought could have really long legs with some good long form storytelling - especially with Hemsworth and Hiddleston so committed. Thor's got a vast rogue's gallery and so many realms and cosmic/mythic story lines to explore. Feige said they were taking Thor to "another level". You don't just say that to close the book on him do you? Maybe there's still hope for us Thor fans. But there's a lot of pressure on this film to deliver I feel.

Quote:
I could see one of the Warriors Three taking his role. They have a hard time balancing that many characters for some reason, plus it could give some tugs on the old heartstrings two see the two survivors mourn the loss of the third.
And herein lies a definite problem. I'd venture to say Hogun but if you kill him off - we barely know him! Fandral and Volstagg have a slight leg up on him exposure wise. But the Warriors Three need significantly more screentime and character development in these films before you just kill any one of them off. I think part of the problem with the impact of Frigga's death is that we didn't see enough of her before she died. Such an awesome death and the funeral scene was beautiful and amazing and showed a glimpse of what you can do with Thor. (I maintain that that single scene is one of the best scenes in the ENTIRE MCU) But to really make it count we should have seen her more. There were a lot of cut scenes with Rene Russo (and they WERE ALL GOOD SCENES) in BOTH films. Why were they cut? Again why are Thor's films the shortest of all the Avengers? What is up with that??

Old 06-06-2015, 08:10 AM   #12
Fosterson
Side-Kick

Quote:
I didn't seeing any name calling, but I understand what you're saying.

You're right, it is a bit of a broken record. I was only saying that it was just a matter of time before someone posted that here, since it has been said everywhere else too.

As for who I think will die in Ragnarok... Probably a real death from Odin this time.

It's too bad they haven't introduced Balder yet, since he'd be the obvious guess. I could see one of the Warriors Three taking his role. They have a hard time balancing that many characters for some reason, plus it could give some tugs on the old heartstrings two see the two survivors mourn the loss of the third.
I think Selvig and Odin are likely candidates to be killed. Partly this is because neither of their actors are getting any younger, but also because their deaths (especially Odin's) would carry a lot of weight, due to their prominence so far. I honestly think Heimdall might end up fulfilling Balder's role. I dunno, but Thor's vision in AoU seemed to hint at this. It might end up being similar to how Alexander Pierce in TWS was a hybrid of Aleksandr Lukin and Dell Rusk from the comics.

Loki dying is a near impossibility, partly because of his popularity, and partly because Marvel have already faked Loki's death twice. Nobody will believe it if he actually dies now!

Old 06-06-2015, 08:21 AM   #13
Ragnaroknroll
Side-Kick

Quote:
I think Selvig and Odin are likely candidates to be killed. Partly this is because neither of their actors are getting any younger, but also because their deaths (especially Odin's) would carry a lot of weight, due to their prominence so far. I honestly think Heimdall might end up fulfilling Balder's role. I dunno, but Thor's vision in AoU seemed to hint at this. It might end up being similar to how Alexander Pierce in TWS was a hybrid of Aleksandr Lukin and Dell Rusk from the comics.

Loki dying is a near impossibility, partly because of his popularity, and partly because Marvel have already faked Loki's death twice. Nobody will believe it if he actually dies now!
LOL. They should play it up and maybe make a joke about it if it happens. No one really believes Loki's dead this time - least of all Thor. So no tears this time.

You may be on point about the other stuff. Will be interesting to see what happens.

Old 06-06-2015, 08:28 AM   #14
Fosterson
Side-Kick

Quote:
I really like Selvig. Probably the best developed of the supporting Thor characters. So yeah he'll probably bite it.

This is part of the reason I felt Ragnarok was too soon but "fans" b*****d so much about TDW maybe Feige thought they needed to go balls to the wall this time. I hope Thor doesn't end with a simple trilogy. It was one of the franchises I thought could have really long legs with some good long form storytelling - especially with Hemsworth and Hiddleston so committed. Thor's got a vast rogue's gallery and so many realms and cosmic/mythic story lines to explore. Feige said they were taking Thor to "another level". You don't just say that to close the book on him do you? Maybe there's still hope for us Thor fans. But there's a lot of pressure on this film to deliver I feel.

And herein lies a definite problem. I'd venture to say Hogun but if you kill him off - we barely know him! Fandral and Volstagg have a slight leg up on him exposure wise. But the Warriors Three need significantly more screentime and character development in these films before you just kill any one of them off. I think part of the problem with the impact of Frigga's death is that we didn't see enough of her before she died. Such an awesome death and the funeral scene was beautiful and amazing and showed a glimpse of what you can do with Thor. (I maintain that that single scene is one of the best scenes in the ENTIRE MCU) But to really make it count we should have seen her more. There were a lot of cut scenes with Rene Russo (and they WERE ALL GOOD SCENES) in BOTH films. Why were they cut? Again why are Thor's films the shortest of all the Avengers? What is up with that??
I don't think Ragnarok is too soon. Some may feel this way because they think the MCU hasn't set up enough of the characters (Balder etc) that play a big role in Ragnarok in the comics. But this ignores the simple fact that Marvel Studios do loose adaptations of comic storylines. Take Cap 2 for instance. That movie really wasn't anything like the Winter Soldier storyline in the comics, aside from the basic premise. Heck, HYDRA weren't even the ones who brainwashed him in the comics; it was the Soviet Union. There were also many who felt it was "too soon" to adapt Brubaker's story to film. And yet, it turned into one of the most popular and critically acclaimed CBMs of recent years. Feige and the Russo's have already stated that Cap 3 will only loosely follow the Civil War story from the comics. Why can't Ragnarok just be a loose adaptation of the comics as well?

Finally, I seriously doubt that vocal haters influence the creative decision-making at Marvel. If that was the case, then Darcy would have been killed off long ago.

Old 06-06-2015, 08:35 AM   #15
seahammer
Asgardian

Quote:

^Everything in this post is so on-point. Well said.

Quote:

That's a really good idea. I could definitely see that.

Old 06-06-2015, 08:47 AM   #16
Fosterson
Side-Kick

Quote:

That's a really good idea. I could definitely see that.
Thanks!

Old 06-09-2015, 02:32 PM   #17
Ragnaroknroll
Side-Kick

Quote:
I don't think Ragnarok is too soon. Some may feel this way because they think the MCU hasn't set up enough of the characters (Balder etc) that play a big role in Ragnarok in the comics. But this ignores the simple fact that Marvel Studios do loose adaptations of comic storylines. Take Cap 2 for instance. That movie really wasn't anything like the Winter Soldier storyline in the comics, aside from the basic premise. Heck, HYDRA weren't even the ones who brainwashed him in the comics; it was the Soviet Union. There were also many who felt it was "too soon" to adapt Brubaker's story to film. And yet, it turned into one of the most popular and critically acclaimed CBMs of recent years. Feige and the Russo's have already stated that Cap 3 will only loosely follow the Civil War story from the comics. Why can't Ragnarok just be a loose adaptation of the comics as well?
That's a good point about Winter Soldier. Count me among those who felt it was too soon for that storyline also. That worked out pretty damn well. Here's hoping that lightening strikes twice!

Old 06-09-2015, 02:35 PM   #18
Ragnaroknroll
Side-Kick

Quote:
^Everything in this post is so on-point. Well said.
Thanks dude!

Old 10-21-2015, 01:08 PM   #19
The_Manhunter
BvS Defender

Jane, Odin, Heimdall, Fandrall, Volstagg,and Hogun.

10/10, the greatest comic book movie of all time. The DCEU is ROLLING!

The_Manhunter is offline   Reply With Quote