The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Old 08-27-2014, 03:02 AM   #1
Gr0oT
I AM GROOT

Default Giant-Sized Man-Thing

He's been teased in the MCU, so how do Marvel Studios go about officially introducing him and do they work around the complications their easter eggs or just start from scratch?

Ellen Brandt is a key figure in Man-Things origin but if we take her inclusion in IM3 at face value she is an injured veteran that turned to the Extremis project out of desperation.

I think this is easy to work around, you can just turn around and say the intel on Brandt that was available was incorrect and that actually she had been working with Killian before her injury as an agent of AIM who was tasked with keeping track of Ted Sallis's progress on his SSS studies.
The actress used was fine and you could film a short including her seduction of Sallis, her betrayal of him and her being maimed by him which would lead to her volunteering to be Killian's guinea pig.

I'm more at odds with the throw away reference in Agents of SHIELD, not sure if it was clearly stated that he was in one of their detention centers or if he was just one of their monitored super-beings.

Alternatively you can just skip the Ted Sallis/Brandt thing and have him being a mystic elemental being, introducing him in a Doctor Strange film or even a one-shot of sorts.
Now that Howard the Duck is canon we have even more opportunities.

Oh and if we need to cast Sallis I'm leaning for Adrien Brody, top that.

Gr0oT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 03:47 AM   #2
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Default Re: Giant-Sized Man-Thing

Since when did they tease Man-Thing? Did I miss an easter egg?

"Superheroes in New York? Give me a break!" - A1
"'Nuff said" - SM3
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 05:16 AM   #3
fixxxer
Side-Kick

Man-Thing was a small reference by Maria Hill in Agents of SHIELD.

fixxxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 05:32 AM   #4
Gr0oT
I AM GROOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
Since when did they tease Man-Thing? Did I miss an easter egg?
The first implicit reference to him was the inclusion of Ellen Brandt in IM3, face scar and all (which wasn't healed by Extremis...)

I would have written this one off since Shane Black seemed to have decided to just use established character names without the characters having much to do with their 616 counterparts, but as fixxxer points out Maria Hill namedropped Man-Thing in the fallout of the Hydra events.

It was in the episode entitled 'Nothing Personal', I just forget the exact context but she does say something along the lines of 'what the hell is a man-thing'

Regardless this confirms that Marvel Studios has regained the rights from Liongates studio.

Now that Guardians is confirmed a success I don't think anything can be considered too audacious for Marvel Studios so the purpose of this thread is how could he be intergrated into the MCU?

One-Shot?
Cameo in a movie or show?
Netflix series or mini?

Old 08-27-2014, 05:41 AM   #5
Mike Murdock
Side-Kick

The context was Maria Hill repeating stupid questions she received from Congress during their hearing about SHIELD.

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Mike Murdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 07:14 AM   #6
cph9fa
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Murdock View Post
The context was Maria Hill repeating stupid questions she received from Congress during their hearing about SHIELD.
Yep. While asking about the Fridge, and its escaped inmates. "Who... or what... is a Man Thing?"

I'm thinking we may get this as a Halloween episode. Possibly with Mockingbird's inolvement.

cph9fa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 11:48 AM   #7
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

he...hehehehe....Giant-Sized Man-Thing....

good luck selling a movie with that name..

RANDOM BLOCKBUSTER SEQUEL: RETURN OF THE RISING DARKNESS
------------------------------

ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic

R_Hythlodeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 12:00 PM   #8
3dman27
super-hero wannabe

I think thy will leave the giant size part out at least I hope so

Old 08-27-2014, 12:51 PM   #9
Dr. Evil
RIP Robin Williams

Anything would be better than the 2005 TV movie about Man Thing.

They would probably use the same technology that bought Rocket, Groot and Howard the Duck to life in the MCU

My MCU Rankings: 1. The Avengers- 9/10, 2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier- 9/10, 3. Guardians of the Galaxy- 9/10 , 4. Iron Man- 8.5/10, 5. Captain America: The First Avenger- 8/10, 6. Thor- 8/10, 7. Iron Man 2- 7.5/10, 8. Thor: The Dark World- 7/10, 9. Iron Man 3- 7/10, 10. The Incredible Hulk- 6/10
Dr. Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 01:03 PM   #10
C. Lee
I'm not old, I'm ancient
SHH! Administrator

I still have my original run of Man-Thing comics packed away somewhere in the garage (going to have to go look for them now). I haven't read them in decades, so did not get the Ellen Brandt connection when watching IM3. I did hear the comment about him in AGENTS OF SHIELD though. It would be interesting to see a decent adaptation of his character...as Dr. Evil says, the other movie was pretty bad (just fair as a horror movie on it's own, and terrible as a Marvel comics character adaptation).

C. Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 02:43 PM   #11
Shakel92
Side-Kick

Well, since Mockingbird will be in season two of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., I think it would be great if they referenced her previous work in the Florida Everglades on Project: Gladiator, which Ted Sallis had been working on before his transformation into Man-Thing.

I'm probably getting my hopes up and I shouldn't. I doubt they'll ever make a Man-Thing movie. Maybe a Netflix series??????

Old 08-27-2014, 10:45 PM   #12
Gr0oT
I AM GROOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by cph9fa View Post
Yep. While asking about the Fridge, and its escaped inmates. "Who... or what... is a Man Thing?"

I'm thinking we may get this as a Halloween episode. Possibly with Mockingbird's inolvement.
I sort of hate that he would have been captured and put in the Fridge, if anything he should have been sent to the same place as Blonsky...

C Lee I actually got the Man-Thing omnibus but never got around to reading it. The character just always interested me from the appearances he made.

So we have two elements that are established in the MCU that can be expanded upon or ignored. Personally I'd like Brandt to be brought back in a flashback as I theorized above.

Hell she could even have survived that blast from IM3.

Old 08-28-2014, 04:18 AM   #13
3dman27
super-hero wannabe

or it could be coincidence two women with the same name

Old 08-28-2014, 06:16 AM   #14
Necrosis Boy
Side-Kick

They should call the movie "The Man Thing, giant-sized"

Necrosis Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 03:58 AM   #15
Gr0oT
I AM GROOT

The name is pretty atrocious, giant-sized or not.
I really don't see him carrying his own movie,unless Marvel can extend its One-Shots to 45 minutes, but it is completely feasible for him to show up in Doctor Strange as a dimensional gate opener or whatever.

Old 08-29-2014, 05:36 AM   #16
Mike Murdock
Side-Kick

I wonder how much money they can set aside for one shots. Obviously, they won't even have one for TWS, so the trend seems against expanding them. But, before that point, they seemed to be getting bigger and bigger. I remember, at one time, Coulson's slow-mo jump to kick away a gun used up their entire budget for two one shots. Now they seem to have greater flexibility.

Still, the sfx for the Man-Thing would probably make it an expensive one-shot.

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Mike Murdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 09:31 AM   #17
Shakel92
Side-Kick

The budget for one-shots have changed substantially since Coulson's slow-mo kick. I think that if they have the time and the right idea, then it's a go, regardless of budget. You tend to get more flexibility when each movie you've made the last couple of years exceeds the $500 Million mark.

But I'd support a one-shot of just about anything MCU related, regardless of the content.

Old 08-29-2014, 11:53 AM   #18
Spider-Fan
The First Avenger Mod!!!
SHH! Global Moderator

Forget this idea. What we need is:

Man-Thing and Howard the Duck!

Now, THAT is a go picture

Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 06:34 PM   #19
Gr0oT
I AM GROOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Murdock View Post
I wonder how much money they can set aside for one shots. Obviously, they won't even have one for TWS, so the trend seems against expanding them. But, before that point, they seemed to be getting bigger and bigger. I remember, at one time, Coulson's slow-mo jump to kick away a gun used up their entire budget for two one shots. Now they seem to have greater flexibility.

Still, the sfx for the Man-Thing would probably make it an expensive one-shot.
I was pretty frustrated that there wasn't one for TWS but then I reflected and was happy they aren't just making them as a force of habit, that they now make them solely if they have something to say or setup.

The first few were as cute as they were useless but the last 3 have been great and the last 2 actually fleshed out the MCU and/or foreshadowed the future of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakel92 View Post
The budget for one-shots have changed substantially since Coulson's slow-mo kick. I think that if they have the time and the right idea, then it's a go, regardless of budget. You tend to get more flexibility when each movie you've made the last couple of years exceeds the $500 Million mark.

But I'd support a one-shot of just about anything MCU related, regardless of the content.
Exactly, as the money train snowballs the possibilities expand and so does the budget allowances. I wonder if they would ever consider making a straight to blu ray/dvd extented One-Shot, is there not any money in that?
I for one would pre-order one involving the great combo that Spider-Fan has suggested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
Forget this idea. What we need is:

Man-Thing and Howard the Duck!

Now, THAT is a go picture
Yes please, but how bout individual One-Shots for each!

Old 08-29-2014, 07:19 PM   #20
HeyBear
Evil Master of Odors

The references to Man-Thing that have been dropped so far have all made me giddy. When I was a child, raised on monster movies, I loved this character based on the way he looks alone. With that in mind, I feel that I may be in the minority of not really needing a whole origin story. I don't think that I even need Ted Sallis. Would anyone else be okay with that?

HeyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 08:24 PM   #21
Gr0oT
I AM GROOT

I'd be okay with it.
In the way the character has evolved it could be argued that Man-Thing makes more sense as this mystical elemental being and that a whole origin involving the SSS can muddy it up, so to speak.

I just loved the Dead of Night remake of the origin, it would lend itself well to something 30-60 minutes.

At this point I have absolute confidence in the Marvel brand and feel that once they are ready to introduce him it'll be worthy of our attention. Well, unless he shows up in Agents of Shield with a green styrofoam suit and looks more like oscar the grouch than a proper Man-Thing.