The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

View Poll Results: Would you want a Howard the Duck one-shot?
Yes 19 65.52%
No 10 34.48%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-28-2014, 10:10 PM   #1
Flint Marko
#BringSpideyHome

Default Howard the Duck one-shot

I may be the only person who would want this, but I think some sort of animated short featuring Howard would be a great one-shot to go onto the Guardians blu-ray.
I understand his cameo was only a joke, and he most likely will never appear again anytime soon, but if Marvel has proven anything it's that no property or idea is to out-there for them to tackle. I'd love some short, quirky cartoon that explains how he went from Duck-world into the hands of the Collector.
Would anyone else be interested in this, or am I alone here?

Sony is the only home Spidey has ever had. Marvel gave him away as a baby and Sony raised him. Going "home" is actually going away from home and back to a family that never cared for him and gave him away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclopsWasRight View Post
Doom in the new F4 won't be accurate at all but I think he'll be far more developed and interesting character than the majority of Marvel Studios villains
Flint Marko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 10:18 PM   #2
C. Lee
I'm not old...I'm ancient
SHH! Administrator

Default Re: Howard the Duck one-shot

I've always been a fan of Howard...have just about every comic he appeared in (4 color and giant size B/W) and watch the movie every couple of years. I would love to see more of him.

C. Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 11:01 PM   #3
Flint Marko
#BringSpideyHome

Never read any comic with him in it, but I saw the 86 movie on sale at Hastings so I bought it and watched it last week. It was about as bad as I expected lol.
I'd love a reference to that film if they ever made a one-shot.
Maybe, after a long day working at his new job as a marketing executive, he was sucked out of his apartment in duckworld by the convergence that happened in Thor: TDW.

Sony is the only home Spidey has ever had. Marvel gave him away as a baby and Sony raised him. Going "home" is actually going away from home and back to a family that never cared for him and gave him away.
Quote:
Doom in the new F4 won't be accurate at all but I think he'll be far more developed and interesting character than the majority of Marvel Studios villains
Old 09-29-2014, 01:17 AM   #4
Gr0oT
I AM GROOT

I want the one-shot but in my mind it should be live action.
I don't want Marvel mixing their MCU that way.

Gr0oT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 07:22 AM   #5
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr0oT View Post
I want the one-shot but in my mind it should be live action.
I don't want Marvel mixing their MCU that way.
while I agree a live action one-shot with a full cgi character might be a little bit too expensive for what is basically a glorified dvd extra.

RANDOM BLOCKBUSTER SEQUEL: RETURN OF THE RISING DARKNESS
------------------------------

ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic

R_Hythlodeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 02:53 PM   #6
Gr0oT
I AM GROOT

Are a lot of the costs covered once the character is already created and has a working model?
Heck maybe the added cost is covered by them skipping the one-shot on WS.

Gr0oT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 06:25 PM   #7
Aztec
Side-Kick

Hell yes! That would be a tremendously fun one shot for a blu-Ray. My wife loved the Howard cameo. She was like "What the heck is he doing here?" She remembered the film from when she was a kid. This is exactly the kind of thing that would make great one-shots. More in the line of "Hail to the King"; my personal favorite one-shot!

VS. Thanos
MARVEL'S THE INFINITY WAR
#bringspideyhome
Aztec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 08:57 PM   #8
Flint Marko
#BringSpideyHome

That or agent carter are my favorite one shots. And you can tell they were starting to put more and more money into them, the production values got a lot higher.
I really think you might be able to pull off a live action one if you use an animatronic or a suit similar to the one used in the 86 movie (albeit a much nicer looking one). Im not sure about the cost of cgi, but truthfully I don't think it looked so great in that one shot so they'd have to do some improvements.
That's why I think animated would be the best route. He's a fun, goofy character not meant to be taken seriously so I think animation would be an appropriate way to go. It's an inconsequential dvd extra so I don't think mixing the two mediums of live action and cartoons would be an issue.
Heck, maybe combine the two and have an animation/live action hybrid like who framed roger rabbit ? Idk I'm just spitballing here.

Quote:
Old 09-29-2014, 09:01 PM   #9
StarLord
Blood Eagle

Yes! Why the duck not...

StarLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 11:33 PM   #10
Kiltman
E-list Character

I wouldn't want a full blown one shot for him, no.

Would rather have one revolving around Cosmo becoming security chief of Knowhere w/ Howard the Duck making an appearance. Along with other cosmic characters.

Kiltman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 04:55 AM   #11
batman44
Go Speed GO

yes.

<< Romans 1:16 >> For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek.
batman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 10:44 PM   #12
Doc Ock
The Spider-Totem Awakens

Actually it would make sense to have a Howard one-shot for the Guardians Blu/DVD. It would be a missed opportunity to not have one. Knowing Marvel's/Disney's recent uh...history with home video releases and special features I don't think it is going to happen.

Old 10-12-2014, 09:33 AM   #13
Hypestyle
Side-Kick

I want to see something animated based on Howard. I'd like to see Matt Groening involved, or someone with a good feel for contemporary satire. No Seth McFarlane!

Hypestyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 01:11 PM   #14
Gabe99
Side-Kick

Marvel announces 'Howard the Duck' by Chip Zdarsky and Joe Quinones
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Rivera
Glad you asked. Created by Steve Gerber and Val Mayerick, Howard the Duck is one of the strangest and most subversive characters in the Marvel canon—that unfortunately is mostly known from a terrible film in the 1980s. But, as the old saying goes, the road to redemption starts after the credits of a blockbuster movie—and Marvel is bringing Howard back in a big way. This Spring, the publisher will launch Howard the Duck, a new ongoing comic-book series by Chip Zdarsky and Joe Quinones in which the talking duck from another planet sets up shop in the Marvel Universe as a private investigator.

Gabe99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 07:22 PM   #15
The Whizzer
Newbie First Class

It's a shame that George Lucas ruined Howard's reputation so much that so many people dismiss the possibility of Howard being in another film. I'd love to see him in the next Guardians of the Galaxy film as an actual character.

The Whizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 08:37 PM   #16
Flint Marko
#BringSpideyHome

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Whizzer View Post
It's a shame that George Lucas ruined Howard's reputation so much that so many people dismiss the possibility of Howard being in another film. I'd love to see him in the next Guardians of the Galaxy film as an actual character.
I actually think that Howard's tarnished reputation could help the character more than hinder it. I mean yeah that movie was awful, but it was so long ago that it's almost a lovable memory to some and an interesting footnote in pop culture. Personally I think that movie is significant as it is the first real sign of Lucas not being the cinematic genius people assumed he was, but that's another conversation.
That aside, I wouldn't want him to appear in any theatrical cut of a movie. He should stay in the world of one-shots or side stories, I would be hesitant to see how the audience would react to a talking duck in a movie with Iron man.
But hey, then again they accepted it with a raccoon so you never know.

Quote:
Old 12-17-2014, 12:28 PM   #17
Shakel92
Side-Kick

I think it is safe to assume at this point that Marvel has no plans to produce any more one-shots. With 26 episodes of Netflix shows, 30 episodes of prime time TV, and 3 movies per year, the one-shot well may have run dry.

Old 12-17-2014, 12:35 PM   #18
Flint Marko
#BringSpideyHome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakel92 View Post
I think it is safe to assume at this point that Marvel has no plans to produce any more one-shots. With 26 episodes of Netflix shows, 30 episodes of prime time TV, and 3 movies per year, the one-shot well may have run dry.
Agreed. Oh well, they were fun while they lasted..

Quote:
Old 12-17-2014, 10:20 PM   #19
Slushy
The Man

I'd rather see him get his own movie (a proper one this time) again, but I wouldn't mind a One Shot.

Twitter: TheMachoPunk
Slushy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 06:23 AM   #20
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakel92 View Post
it is just a matter of resources and expanding in the right places. I won't give up on them, they were a great pool for ideas. without the one-shots AoS and AC wouldn't have happend.

RANDOM BLOCKBUSTER SEQUEL: RETURN OF THE RISING DARKNESS
------------------------------

ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic

R_Hythlodeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 06:25 AM   #21
hoy-small-fry
It's a dance-off bro!

I don't see why they couldn't append a Howard the Duck short in front of a movie in the future a la Pixar

Coulson: "Sir?"
Fury: "You don't have to call me sir, Coulson. Look at me. I'm dressed like I live under a bridge."
hoy-small-fry is offline   Reply With Quote