The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Old 07-23-2014, 11:21 PM   #1
MessiahDecoy123
Psychological Anarchy

Default Marvel Studios Increases Output = Too Many Superhero Movies?

Marvel Studios will begin releasing 3 movies per year in 2017.

Will this strategy over-saturate the market for superhero movies?

MessiahDecoy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 11:24 PM   #2
Tanin
Tsukino Usagi

Default Re: Marvel Studios Increases Output = Too Many Superhero Movies?

Three action films a year seems reasonable. Kudos if some are more drama or romance.

Tanin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 11:25 PM   #3
MiffaLadd_
Side-Kick

I think it depends on the level of marketing. ASM2 level and I think it could be annoying, but we know MS are not particularly bad for that.

MiffaLadd_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 11:27 PM   #4
cph9fa
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessiahDecoy123 View Post
Marvel Studios will begin releasing 3 movies per year in 2017.

So far, Marvel's been good at making their films pretty unique from each other.

But there's only one way to find out for sure...

cph9fa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 11:29 PM   #5
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Nah, as long as the films are good and stand on their own everything will be more then cool. They need to do this.

If they want to release Ms Marvel, Inhumans, Cap, GOTG, Thor, Doc Strange, Ant Man, Avengers etc Then they really will have no choice but to release more a year. They will need more sequels for existing properties. Can't be done with two a year with that many properties. Unless folks want to start waiting 5 years for each story to continue, which would completely slow down the connectivity of the whole connected franchise.

Last edited by def28; 07-23-2014 at 11:33 PM.
def28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 11:31 PM   #6
StarkTheProdigy
Side-Kick

The great thing about Marvel is that they mix it up and constantly offer a variety of different films.

"You experience things, and then they're over."
StarkTheProdigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 11:44 PM   #7
OnTheAir
Papa Spank

Let's be honest, it is a lot. Because it's not just the MCU films...it's Sony's Spider-Man and Fantastic Four films, Fox's X-Men films and whatever DC/Warner Bros will be doing in addition to Batman V Superman and Justice League.

They are all running the risk of burning the general audience out on the genre.

But for me? This. Is. Awesome!

"There are...no strings...on me..."
OnTheAir is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 12:00 AM   #8
samsnee
Side-Kick

I think Marvel is betting on their movies being better critically than the others. Honestly, I feel they need to space them out. If you want to be a studio that lasts 50 years, then this is a quick way to burn out creatively and not make it. It's not like they can make any other kind of movie besides superhero movies.

samsnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 12:00 AM   #9
Eddie
Side-Kick

Marvel's smart. They're not really making the stereotypical superhero film anymore. Iron Man 3 was a Shane Black action movie with a superhero twist, TDW was a fantasy film with a superhero twist, TWS was a political thriller with a superhero twist, and GotG has a raccoon that blows **** up.

I kinda hope they increase the output of raccoon blowing **** up movies, though. The world needs more of those.

Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 12:03 AM   #10
samsnee
Side-Kick

But they are still making superhero films. They may have different flavors to them, but they can't make something that isn't based on a comic book they have the rights to. Warner Brothers may never have a successful DC universe, but DC's failure won't mean WB will have to shut down.

Old 07-24-2014, 12:04 AM   #11
Eddie
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsnee View Post
I think Marvel is betting on their movies being better critically than the others. Honestly, I feel they need to space them out. If you want to be a studio that lasts 50 years, then this is a quick way to burn out creatively and not make it. It's not like they can make any other kind of movie besides superhero movies.
Nonsense. Marvel can make westerns (Two Gun Kid, Phantom Rider), monster movies (Werewolf By Night, Tomb of Dracula), comedies (Howard the Duck, Great Lakes Avengers), and many other genres. The Marvel Universe is pretty diverse.

Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 12:06 AM   #12
Tanin
Tsukino Usagi

Quote:
But they are still making superhero films. They may have different flavors to them, but they can't make something that isn't based on a comic book they have the rights to. Warner Brothers may never have a successful DC universe, but DC's failure won't mean WB will have to shut down.
They are owned by Disney.... They can shift into non Marvel films if they so wish.

Tanin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 12:08 AM   #13
Fincher
Side-Kick

Superheroes can't stay on top forever. It's not a question of whether they'll burn out, but rather when. Increasing the output will speed up the clock, but I'm not prepared to say exactly when the general audience's interest will fade.

Fincher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 12:09 AM   #14
samsnee
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
Nonsense. Marvel can make westerns (Two Gun Kid, Phantom Rider), monster movies (Werewolf By Night, Tomb of Dracula), comedies (Howard the Duck, Great Lakes Avengers), and many other genres. The Marvel Universe is pretty diverse.
I'll be the first to buy everyone tickets if any of those movies happen. I think if they were created as stand alone movies, they might actually be good. The problem with having a connected universe is that you have to be strategic about what you connect. Otherwise you get into a mess of continuity errors, and unlike the comics, you can't just hand wave them away with a couple of panels.

I love Marvel Studio films. But I just don't see them lasting more than 20 years at this rate, regardless of how far out they've mapped themselves.

Old 07-24-2014, 12:11 AM   #15
samsnee
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanin View Post
They are owned by Disney.... They can shift into non Marvel films if they so wish.
Huh? Do you mean Disney or Marvel? You're saying Marvel can make a romantic comedy without any comic book influence? Marvel is its own movie studio. DC is not.

Old 07-24-2014, 12:12 AM   #16
MessiahDecoy123
Psychological Anarchy

Quote:
I think Disney wants Marvel to shoot out lots of movies while there's still a superhero craze at the box office.

When it comes to superhero movies the plan is "to get rich or kill the genre trying".

Old 07-24-2014, 12:21 AM   #17
samsnee
Side-Kick

Quote:
I think Disney wants Marvel to shoot out lots of movies while there's still a superhero craze at the box office.

When it comes to superhero movies the plan is "to get rich or kill the genre trying".
This. If there's one thing Hollywood lives by is: if something works, keep doing it over and over til everyone is sick of it.

Old 07-24-2014, 12:25 AM   #18
Fincher
Side-Kick

Quote:

It can also be seen as good for the creative types at Marvel. If only so many more superhero films can be made before the genre crashes, then Marvel might want to keep pace with WB so that a significant number of those are Marvel Studios movies. I mean, provided that there are specific stories they'd like to tell for the sake of telling them.

Fincher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 12:25 AM   #19
Jasyn
Agent of F.U.B.A.R.

Marvel Studios was created with the sole purpose to make movies of their own comic book properties, a huge library of characters spanning back to 1939 (under back then named Timely Comics, later Atlas Comics). Marvel Studios didn't come into being to fund art house film school projects or to make Shakespearean Renascence pieces, or Romantic (non-CBM) Comedies, but that doesn't say they can't or won't ever do that. For anyone to argue that Marvel Studios is making or will make too many comic book movies just doesn't make any sense to me.

"...if you don't like your job you don't strike. You just go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way." - Homer J. Simpson

Last edited by Jasyn; 07-24-2014 at 04:33 AM. Reason: annoying typo fixed
Jasyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 01:01 AM   #20
MessiahDecoy123
Psychological Anarchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by def28 View Post
Nah, as long as the films are good and stand on their own everything will be more then cool. They need to do this.

If they want to release Ms Marvel, Inhumans, Cap, GOTG, Thor, Doc Strange, Ant Man, Avengers etc Then they really will have no choice but to release more a year. They will need more sequels for existing properties. Can't be done with two a year with that many properties. Unless folks want to start waiting 5 years for each story to continue, which would completely slow down the connectivity of the whole connected franchise.
I also agree with this.

Old 07-24-2014, 01:42 AM   #21
Spade
Cool and Chiseled

"Too many superhero movies" has been proclaimed many times this decade, and audiences continue to prove it's not an issue. Remember 2011? One slow summer with an outright bomb in the form of Green Lantern, and "superhero movies are finally starting to cool off." 2012? The Avengers, and a 1.5 billion dollar take. Truth is, there are too many superhero movies for people who don't like superhero movies to begin with, so even one is one too much. The closest we'd come to critical mass is if Warner Bros. adopts a similar strategy. For now, they only have one film scheduled two years from now, so it's safe to say we're still a ways off from the foretold Supermoviepocalypse.

Spade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 02:25 AM   #22
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

It shouldn't be a problem assuming they're all good and unique from one another. If we get a Thor 2 every year though, then it would be.

Shikamaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 02:30 AM   #23
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

Quote:

I hope not. If they rush these films just to get them "in" before the craze dies out, that's exactly what will make it die out in the first place.

Shikamaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 04:27 AM   #24
The.Brotherhood
Side-Kick

They're simply doing this to kill the competition.

Marvel / Lucasfilm / Pixar under one umbrella that is the Disney brand.

Won't surprised me when at one point in the future they'll squeeze in something like this:

Fox / WB put out a blockbuster flick like an Xmen film for fox and a Batman/Supe/JLA type of film for WB all in the same date of let say May 5th then disney will put out theirs

Pirates - May
Star Wars / Spin-Off - May
Marvel - May
Pixar - May
Disney movie ala Frozen - May

Suicide but these are FRANCHISES that can take a hit....maybe I'm wrong but the power of the mouse is strong...this is just my take on A SCENARIO.

To put into perspective, Marvel layed out their dates to claim territorial dates per se. Because of these date claims they have this superiority of putting out films first with uber confidence of advantage (yes I know it's childish) but when WB decides to put the BvS dates to the same date of May 6th as a Marvel film (which is Cap 3) they were ridicule by some and that ladies and gentlemen is ADVANTAGE for Marvel.

ONE STEP FURTHER AHEAD OF THE COMPETITION. (since 2008)

The.Brotherhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:08 AM   #25
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

I don't mind it as long as it doesn't hurt the X-Men film series. The more superhero films the merrier.

"Will you control that power or let it control you?" - X3
"Is the future truly set?" - X4
www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote