The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

View Poll Results: Should Hulk Get a New Solo film?
Yes, it should be based in space. 8 19.51%
Yes, it should be somewhere on earth. 24 58.54%
No, but he should be a main side character in a film much like Black Widow in Captain America 2. 3 7.32%
No, Hulk should be in Avengers films only. 6 14.63%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-13-2015, 07:57 PM   #1
Pecola1
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

Default Should Hulk Get Another Solo? What would it be about?

I have recently grown to like the hero in the MCU. I have always liked the Hulk 80's show, but hos films didn't look to great. After watching the most recent one, it only affirmed what I had thought, the actor just wasn't the right pick. In avengers however, once they announced Mark Ruffulo as Hulk, I gave Marvel a second chance. He is older, which is more what I like. On top of that he seems to fit the role better. He is quiet but when he speaks it is something worth talking about.

So more recently I saw a thread making a claim that Iron Man could be a co-star in Spider-man. That's not to be discussed here, but it got me thinking about why they haven't made another Hulk solo. I thought it was mainly just because the first one didn't go so well. Now that they have a new actor, I would almost want them to re-do the old hulk movie. However, I would much rather them just make another solo.

So I realized that if AoU causes Hulk to run off, (conveniently making sure the invincible green giant won't be on the same side as the Hustler which was basically the only hope to stop him) then Hulk would be able to either A) Run off to a foreign country to go into hiding again or B) Be launched into space like the comics had happen pre-Civil War. This is a pretty big if, especially now that we have seen more clips of Hulk. Either way, I think Marvel needs to develop Hulk a bit more. He has basically been a side character in the Avengers, who hasn't been explained any more than his solo movie, and so far it looks like he may work slightly differently.

So if he runs off, they could make another movie of Hulk in hiding, they could have a new villain that has never been shown in a Hulk movie. There are so many more villains than just Abomination! A villain could even be someone like Black Bolt, who ends up being a good guy. They could have any number of villains, for whatever reason.

If he gets thrown to space, some have theorize that he will be a side character in GoTG 2. If he was a large enough side character (hulk needing to be large enough? ) then this might be a good alternative to another solo. But I would rather him have a solo. They could go the rout of Planet Hulk if they went that direction though.

In the end there are almost limitless possibilities of how they could do it which would be based on the comics, and unlimited ways which would require no comic base.

So my question is: Would you want a Incredible Hulk solo 2? If so, what would be the basic storyline? What would the new villain be? How would they fit it in with the rest of the MCU timeline?

Also as a side note, the reason there hasn't been a new solo is because Universal has the rights to Hulk solo movies still.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Ruffalo
As far as a Hulk movie, a standalone Hulk movie, Marvel doesn’t really have the rights to that yet. That’s still Universal’s property, so there’s that issue. That’s a big impediment to moving forward with that. Now I don’t think that’s insurmountable, by the way, but I don’t know where it’s going from here for me.
So should Universal Studios work out a deal like sony did? Where a core director from Marvel is put on board to help direct hulk movies? (Currently Marvel makes money from Hulk in Marvel movies already, and I believe Universal makes money on solos)

--Updates--
News:
Update 1
Update 2

Last edited by Pecola1; 04-26-2015 at 06:27 PM.
Pecola1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 08:17 PM   #2
kedrell
PopularisCulturaFanaticus

Default Re: Should Hulk Get Another Solo? What would it be about?

Ant-Man and Pym particles exist in the MCU now so I'd like to see him go to the microverse and then in a sequel return but then we have Joe Fixit hiding out in Las Vegas. That's my personal preference.

Old 04-13-2015, 08:28 PM   #3
Flint Marko
#BringSpideyHome

Planet Hulk would be great at some point, but I feel like that's become the "go-to" answer.
I can't say I know a lot of Hulk stories so I'm not sure where would be the best direction to take the character.

Old 04-13-2015, 08:43 PM   #4
Pecola1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedrell View Post
Ant-Man and Pym particles exist in the MCU now so I'd like to see him go to the microverse and then in a sequel return but then we have Joe Fixit hiding out in Las Vegas. That's my personal preference.
That's another great idea! I don't know to much about Hulk, just what you can find with an hour or so of reading Marvel wiki articles.

Old 04-13-2015, 08:51 PM   #5
ernesth100
Spidey-Hog

Hulk should have his own Shared Universe. With movies for Hulk, She Hulk, Red Hulk, A-Bomb, Skaar, and Planet Hulk. It'll be awesome.

ernesth100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 08:56 PM   #6
kedrell

Honestly the Pantheon would be cool to see realized in film.

Old 04-13-2015, 08:56 PM   #7
Pecola1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernesth100 View Post
Hulk should have his own Shared Universe. With movies for Hulk, She Hulk, Red Hulk, A-Bomb, Skaar, and Planet Hulk. It'll be awesome.
So like spiderman? I guess we don't know too much about spidey. But you mean like his movies would focus on Hulk and Hulk characters, and not tie in too much with the MCU, while still working the timeline. That way we don't get a movie where an MCU event takes over the storyline of a Hulk film, but vice-versa.
I like that idea!
If we can get an entire universe for Hulk, that would be awesome! It is much easier for Spider-man, as since he is a better known character he has more villains and stories, but I think they can EASILY do it with Hulk.

Old 04-13-2015, 09:00 PM   #8
Pecola1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedrell View Post
Honestly the Pantheon would be cool to see realized in film.
That would be cool! After just looking at a short article I like the idea! I didn't know that Hulk liked Greek legends! XD

Old 04-14-2015, 09:48 AM   #9
Psycho Hulk
Side-Kick

I wouldn't mind if in the movies they kept him as a side character. If they made an awesome mini series for TV. Bring it to Netflix, like they did with Dare Devil. Give me 13 solid episodes a year and I would be happy. Sure, the CGI would probably not be as high caliber but I want a good story and more development of Bruce Banner/Hulk.

"Doctor Banner,Belted by gamma rays,Turned into the Hulk.Ain't he unglamo-rays! Wreckin' the town, With the power of a bull, Ain't no monster clown. Who is that lovable? It's ever lovin' Hulk! HULK!! HULK!!
]
Psycho Hulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 09:55 AM   #10
Spider-Fan
SHHFL 2014 Champion
SHH! Global Moderator

We're never going to get a Netflix or TV Hulk show. Way too much money would be required, and Ruffallo is a film actor on the rise. He would be taking a step back to do TV.

Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 10:15 AM   #11
Psycho Hulk
Side-Kick

I agree, it will not happen. I still can dream. I wouldn't need Ruffalo to play the part of Banner. I like him, but he is not someone I would say needs to play the part.

"Doctor Banner,Belted by gamma rays,Turned into the Hulk.Ain't he unglamo-rays! Wreckin' the town, With the power of a bull, Ain't no monster clown. Who is that lovable? It's ever lovin' Hulk! HULK!! HULK!!
]
Psycho Hulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 10:35 AM   #12
Cain
"...I prefer 'Doc'"

This is kinda depressing to me as a Hulk fan. He deserves redemption on the silver screen in his own solo adventure after the mixed bags that were Hulk and The Incredible Hulk. I also voted for the space setting. I want Planet Hulk this time around. We already got 2 movies with Hulk on Earth. 3 or 4 if you count The Avengers movies. Time to switch it up. There's more to his mythos than just rampaging through deserts and open cities.

Pull list: Saga, Thief of Thieves, TMNT, Multiversity, Action Comics, Detective Comics, Sensation Comics, Batgirl, Grayson, Gotham Academy, Batman '66, Aquaman, The Flash, Green Lantern, Justice League, Justice League 3001, X-O Manowar, Unity, Rai, Ivar Timewalker, Ninjak, Daredevil, All-New X-Men
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 10:44 AM   #13
wampa1
Side-Kick

Yeah, Planet Hulk is the go-to answer for a reason. I can't say I'm falling all over myself for another Hulk on the run from General Ross and then fights a big Hulk monster at the end movie.

Planet Hulk or bust. It could also gives us direct GotG involvement in the wider MCU.

wampa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 11:56 AM   #14
Pecola1

If they went with Planet Hulk, could they possibly bring in Captain Marvel?
I just don't personally like the GoTG idea much. We already have a talking racoon, a walking tree, and a buff Vulcan who makes it clear he doesn't understand why he's funny. I'm not sure I would want someone as big as the Hulk appearing in their film... he would take too much away from the rest of the crew. On top of that, I like Banner as much as I do Hulk, and it seems like it may be harder to put Banner in with the Gaurdians crew, as a human. He could be the guy who knows how to build a spacecraft maybe... or be the doctor to heal ppl, or even make special injections or something. Maybe it's just me though... I'm okay with him going to space though, just if he sees them it should be more of a, "Thanks for the ride back to earth" than a "thanks for teaming up with me".

Old 04-14-2015, 01:10 PM   #15
Chance Jackson
Side-Kick

Nah Hulk is best as a mainstay and major draw in The Avengers.

Chance Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 02:02 PM   #16
Rowsdower!
A BAT CREDIT CARD?!!!

No. I don't think the Hulk is that interesting on his own. We already had two Hulk movies and they felt basically the same.

Bootleg Batman Begins: "Bruce found a basement under his villa, in which the equipments turn him into another person: Spiderman. With this mask, Spiderman stroke all criminal activates and criminals everywhere, such as Tougon, the chief of Mafia, Doctor Jackstraw, the abnormal drug trafficker, even a mysterious opponent familiar with him———”
Rowsdower! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 02:23 PM   #17
Destructus86
Side-Kick

The rights to the Hulk are so annoyingly confusing...Marvel can include him in their group stuff but don't have the rights under the Marvel studio name to make a solo film.

Should they make a solo film? No...it should be a Marvel team up. Either Iron Man or maybe take Hulk off world to join Thor on an adventure.

“The line between good and evil does not lie between “us” and “them,” between the West and the rest, between Left and Right, between rich and poor. That fateful line runs down the middle of each of us, every human society, every individual.”
N.T. Wright, Surprised by Scripture: Engaging Contemporary Issues
Destructus86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 02:50 PM   #18
kedrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower! View Post
No. I don't think the Hulk is that interesting on his own. We already had two Hulk movies and they felt basically the same.

That wasn't the Hulk. That was a big SFX thing standing in for the Hulk. Both times. Hulk is a character.

Old 04-14-2015, 02:55 PM   #19
Spiderine
Sho nuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destructus86 View Post
The rights to the Hulk are so annoyingly confusing...Marvel can include him in their group stuff but don't have the rights under the Marvel studio name to make a solo film.

Should they make a solo film? No...it should be a Marvel team up. Either Iron Man or maybe take Hulk off world to join Thor on an adventure.
Marvel could make a solo film if they want. Universal would be the distributor. Disney wants to distribute all the Marvel films now. They would have to pay Universal an expensive fee. Not really worth it when you can include Hulk in any ensemble flick for free.

Spiderine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 03:08 PM   #20
Human Torch
The Boss in Blue

As Hulk is my all time favorite CB character,I'm pretty disappointed Marvel seems to be dragging their heels when it comes to his own solo.

I think the problem is there is a large number of "old school" fans like myself,that really have no interest in the Hulk beyond the classic "Hulk Smash" incarnation. I have zero interest in Planet Hulk,Grey Hulk, Joe Fixit- whatever.

But, the other side of that is the people who had enough of the "Hulk Smash" and want to take the Hulk down other avenues.

I think Marvel is just content to have the Savage Hulk and let him out of the box for the Avengers every few years.

I suppose I got the Hulk movie I always wanted in TIH. But even there they barely tapped the potential.

How did we get this far? Human beings have an immeasurable desire....for FF to return to Marvel.

2/9/15 Spider-Man comes home! You're next FF!
Human Torch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 04:14 PM   #21
starscream22
Revert back2Marvel!

I wouldn't mind a Hulk sequel on Earth. But the whole Hulk in space arc seems over rated and Planet Hulk feels too much like Civil War. Way too many Earth stories and villains that haven't been utilized.

starscream22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 05:59 PM   #22
Spiderine
Sho nuff

I think they really like the Bruce Banner human aspect of the character to give Ruffalo more to do.

Spiderine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 12:34 AM   #23
docdoc
Side-Kick

I think it has to be War World Hulk, not quite a solo, but it's one of the very few ways Marvel will be 100% confident to bring on another hulk movie. Yes, we all love Hulk from the avengers but half of the reasons are becoz of his interaction with other superheroes.

While you can have him vs red hulk/bring in she-hulk, I think people are more keen to see superhuman vs hulk rather than a monsters fight like TIH.

Although, it'll be expensive as f***. They can get way with it in a smaller scale film where he does not go full action til the 3rd act. But if Marvel makes a WWH, HULK's screen time will double/triple. That could be as expensive as an Avengers film. But judging from the structure of the current MCU, how fast things are moving and how unexpected these massive things have been dropping onto us, that can totally happen.

docdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 07:12 AM   #24
Typhoon22
Side-Kick

I don't think Hulk works for me in a solo film. He's great in limited amounts like as an additional member in a team-up film where he gets 10m or so but a whole film about Hulk is just incredibly boring to me. Too much good of a thing can be bad. That's my opinion.

Typhoon22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 09:49 AM   #25
Victarion
Cut

I liked TIH well enough. I'd watch another Hulk movie.

"..the mere intimation that there might be more to a heroic narrative than the heroes are the Good Guys, the villains are Bad Guys and the heroes should Win a rousing Victory appears to be in itself such an offensive contention that it arouses a kind of defensive knee-jerk hysteria just by surfacing." - Richard K Morgan
Victarion is offline   Reply With Quote