The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Old 06-05-2014, 07:02 AM   #176
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Default Re: MCU: Your Thoughts About The Infinity Stones (SPOILERS INSIDE)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixxxer View Post
Reality Stone - Aether: I don't think the Soul Stone fits here. None of the Aether's power were even close to anything related to the soul. Reality-altering, though, kind of fits the Aether's workings.
Except, you know, the Aether took over and drained Jane Foster's soul, and all.

Seriously, what is the fascination with Reality Stone for Aether? What, exactly, did The Aether do, other than suck Jane Foster's soul out (that *could* have just been Natalie Portman's phoned-in performance, to be fair), and turn Malekith into Uber for about five minutes before being soundly defeated by Darcy 'N' Friends?

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 09:04 AM   #177
Spider-Fan
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
Eh, I still dunno about Aether. The Space Gem is purple in the comics, but blue in the MCU (Tesseract), while the Power Gem is red in the comics (that's why everyone incorrectly assumed the Aether was the Power Gem), but is shown purple in GOTG. Since they're obviously changing up the color scheme from the comics, the Reality Gem (yellow, in canon) could well be red in the movies. But I still like my argument, just for the sake of Adam Warlock. Dunno if Marvel ever plans to actually use Adam Warlock at all, but either accidentally or on purpose, they've planted a ****load of seeds (literally) pointing towards his eventual arrival.
The Aether literally could change its shape and form, and was being used to rewrite the universe. I don't see how it could NOT be the reality stone. It is the only stone, as stated in the movie, that can ALTER it's shape and form. Literally, they say ALTER.

Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 09:49 AM   #178
fixxxer
Side-Kick

Quote:
Except, you know, the Aether took over and drained Jane Foster's soul, and all.

Seriously, what is the fascination with Reality Stone for Aether? What, exactly, did The Aether do, other than suck Jane Foster's soul out (that *could* have just been Natalie Portman's phoned-in performance, to be fair), and turn Malekith into Uber for about five minutes before being soundly defeated by Darcy 'N' Friends?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
The Aether literally could change its shape and form, and was being used to rewrite the universe. I don't see how it could NOT be the reality stone. It is the only stone, as stated in the movie, that can ALTER it's shape and form. Literally, they say ALTER.
Spider-Fan beat me to the punch. While I'm not gonna unequivocally say that the Aether has to be the Reality Stone, I'm reasonably confident it is.

To me, the fact that the Reality Stone bonds with its host is kind of a much lesser function than the more central function of actually snuffing the frickin light out of the entire universe.

This goes back to the central idea behind my previous post. Malaketh was all about the universe going dark. This is what he believed the Aether could do, and this is what he was capable of using it for. Thanos might have a deeper understanding of the Aether (and the other Infinity Stones), and might be capable of utilizing its full reality-altering potential.

fixxxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 02:38 PM   #179
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Quote:

Time Stone - ???: This one, I'm a little stumped about. I'm not expecting Kang to show up in one of these upcoming movies... I'll put this one under the "let's wait and see" category.
Gotta be the Red Skull. I'm nearly 80% certain.

Quote:
Also, its worth mentioning the word "Aether" is almost literally the "nothingness" between celestial bodies.

Last edited by pr0xyt0xin; 06-05-2014 at 02:42 PM.
pr0xyt0xin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 05:15 PM   #180
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

All right, you've sold me on Aether=Reality instead of Soul. But I'm going to cling desperately to that part of my theory that involves Adam Warlock, because Adam Warlock, dammit. I mean, they showed his cocoon in The Collector's menagerie in TDW; he's a prominent member of the comic-book GOTG; and he is canonically *the* guy who defeated Thanos in the Infinity Gauntlet saga. He deserves a place in the MCU pantheon of heroes, especially when the storylines are tying into Thanos at every turn.

Old 06-05-2014, 05:21 PM   #181
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Absolutely, Warlock will most assuredly show up in Phase 3. And with the Soul Stone no doubt.

It'll just be different than what we saw in Thor 2. My bet is Thanos takes both Aether and "orb" from the Collector in GotG.

Also my pick for Adam:
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Cillian Murphy

Old 06-05-2014, 05:41 PM   #182
Dasher10
Side-Kick

From what I know, these are the only two that were confirmed to be Infinity Stones

The Tesseract is the Space Stone. The Aether is the Power Stone.

I guess it's reasonable to infer that Loki's scepter is the Mind Stone.

Now as for the final three. Captain America 3 will want to introduce Helmut Zemo since his father, Baron Heinrich Zemo will certainly be in Agent Carter. From there, it's a good guess that Cap 3 will introduce The Bloodstone as a MacGuffin which is probably the Time Stone.

The Eye of Agamotto from Doctor Strange will probably be the Soul Stone.

That leaves the GOTG MacGuffin as the Reality Gem.

With the all but confirmed Thor and Hulk sequels and Ant-Man (if it happens) having no MacGuffin at all, nor will the Netflix shows.

Dasher10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 09:30 PM   #183
Spider-Fan
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
All right, you've sold me on Aether=Reality instead of Soul. But I'm going to cling desperately to that part of my theory that involves Adam Warlock, because Adam Warlock, dammit. I mean, they showed his cocoon in The Collector's menagerie in TDW; he's a prominent member of the comic-book GOTG; and he is canonically *the* guy who defeated Thanos in the Infinity Gauntlet saga. He deserves a place in the MCU pantheon of heroes, especially when the storylines are tying into Thanos at every turn.
I think Warlock will appear, especially if GotG get a sequel. I think he will likely be in their sequel. But, he doesn't need to be tied to the Aether. What if Adam Warlock has the Soul Stone already in his cocoon?

Old 06-05-2014, 10:50 PM   #184
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
I think Warlock will appear, especially if GotG get a sequel. I think he will likely be in their sequel. But, he doesn't need to be tied to the Aether. What if Adam Warlock has the Soul Stone already in his cocoon?
That's my personal bet. Maybe it will even be shown to *evolve* with Warlock from the cocoon. Would be kind of ironic if they took that tack, since The Collector will already have an Infinity Stone that he doesn't even know about.

Old 06-06-2014, 03:38 AM   #185
fixxxer
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasher10 View Post
From what I know, these are the only two that were confirmed to be Infinity Stones

Now as for the final three. Captain America 3 will want to introduce Helmut Zemo since his father, Baron Heinrich Zemo will certainly be in Agent Carter. From there, it's a good guess that Cap 3 will introduce The Bloodstone as a MacGuffin which is probably the Time Stone.

With the all but confirmed Thor and Hulk sequels and Ant-Man (if it happens) having no MacGuffin at all, nor will the Netflix shows.
The GOTG MacGuffin has already been revealed to be...
...the Power Stone, which means the Aether was, in all probability, the Reality Stone.

This was mentioned in the Vulture piece about Thanos' role in GOTG and independently corroborated by the anonymous reviewer from Latino Review.

Old 06-06-2014, 04:30 AM   #186
fixxxer
Side-Kick

Quote:
That's my personal bet. Maybe it will even be shown to *evolve* with Warlock from the cocoon. Would be kind of ironic if they took that tack, since The Collector will already have an Infinity Stone that he doesn't even know about.
Yup, that's my guess as well. While I'm chomping at the bit for Black Panther and Captain Marvel movies, I wouldn't mind if they get pushed to Phase 4, if it means we'll get GOTG2 in Phase 3, leading directly into Avengers 3.

Simply too many possibilities and connections to ignore. Primarily, Adam Warlock and the Soul Stone. Also, I'm thinking they could maybe introduce Nova in GOTG2 to play something akin to the comics' "Silver Surfer role", travelling to Earth to warn the Avengers of Thanos' genocidal (univercidal?) plans. If not, some of the Guardians (the ones that survive Thanos in GOTG2) themselves could play that role.

Oooh, the movie(s) I'm writing in my head are taking me to my happy place.

Old 06-06-2014, 05:16 AM   #187
Spider-Fan
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

The Soul Stone can maybe even be tied to Warlock being in the cocoon. It would make sense.

Old 06-06-2014, 09:23 AM   #188
Neo_3
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasher10 View Post

Don't think the Aether has been confirmed. Only 2 are Orb is the Power Gem and Tesseract is the Space Gem.

Neo_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 02:08 AM   #189
fixxxer
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo_3 View Post
Don't think the Aether has been confirmed. Only 2 are Orb is the Power Gem and Tesseract is the Space Gem.
The Aether has been confirmed to be an Infinity Stone, but they haven't mentioned which one just yet. I think it's somewhat reasonable to speculate, as of now, that it is the Reality Stone.

Old 06-09-2014, 05:56 AM   #190
Neo_3
Side-Kick

Quote:
The Aether has been confirmed to be an Infinity Stone, but they haven't mentioned which one just yet. I think it's somewhat reasonable to speculate, as of now, that it is the Reality Stone.
I know it has been confirmed as an Infinity Stone, I was replying to it is not the Power Stone.

Neo_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:00 AM   #191
fixxxer
Side-Kick

Understood. Was just clarifying that point.

Old 06-19-2014, 05:18 PM   #192
antdogs
Side-Kick

i can see soul stone being warlock.. or the cocoon starts to crack at the end of Guardian of the galaxy? hmmm

antdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 05:06 PM   #193
seahammer
Side-Kick

So in GOTG there is a little bit of exposition regarding the Infinity Stones. I thought I would post here to bump this thread to the top.....

The Collector says that there were 6 singularities from before the Big Bang or something like that, and that only immortal/powerful beings could wield them.

I don't remember the rest of what he said (I'll have to watch it again before I remember the specifics), but maybe someone with a better memory than mine can remind me what else he said. How were the Stones connected to the Celestials? I don't remember the connection.

It was cool to see them open up the Orb to reveal the gem inside. AND it was cool to see Ronan smash it into his Universal Weapon. Did the UW have any powers before that? My mind was overloaded with the coolness of the movie that I don't remember these small details

Read my Thor 3 plot pitch

Read my Tales of Asgard mini-series pitch
seahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 06:54 PM   #194
Marvelocity
Side-Kick

This is easily the most interesting subject in the MCU right now. I just hope Marvel knows and has known for a long time what they were doing with these because it honestly seems to me like the ones introduced so far just have generic power and don't do one specific thing.

If the Tesseract is the Space Gem, then why is it being used to vaporize people throughout The First Avenger? I did like one guy's interpretation of it being like a car battery that could be used for transportation or to power something else. It would also be cool to me if all the people who got blasted with it weren't dead but sent elsewhere in space like the Red Skull. I see someone else already made that suggestion, so cheers to you. I know that's won't be the case though.

I would also go ahead and officially make the scepter the Mind Gem since Loki was controlling people's minds with it and it looks like Baron Strucker might be using it to control the minds of Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver as well. I agree with the one guy who said that Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver are probably also being experimented on with some Aether remains. Great idea as their powers both push the borders of reality!

The Aether probably should be the Reality Gem since it was bringing two worlds together and literally altering the fabric of reality. Again, that could also be the Space Gem, but you guys said Feige already revealed the Tesseract was the Space Gem.

So for those who have seen Guardians, is the orb thing the Power Gem based on what it does?

I also really like the one guy's idea to make Captain America 3 about the Time Gem so we can get Baron Zemo I and II and because Cap IS the man out of time after all. That would be some excellent writing.

That would leave us with the Soul Gem alone. The guys who said that should be the Eye of Agamatto - I'm on board with you. Perfect way to bring in our last Infinity Gem.

Last edited by Marvelocity; 08-01-2014 at 07:51 PM.
Marvelocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 07:14 PM   #195
misjuevos
WUUHAAAAAAAAA!

the aether was the reality gem and the one in gotg is the power gem.

Old 08-02-2014, 06:52 AM   #196
KDM1986
Midnight Sons Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0xyt0xin View Post

Tesseract (blue) Space sure... but

Aether (red) Reality more likely and

'GotG orb' (purple) Power maybe. Leaving:

Time
Soul
Mind

and

Yellow
Green
Orange

I'm highly doubtful these days that Loki's spear is the mind stone.

I agree with this 100 percent. We have 3 more stones to be introduced too. Real question is when is Thanos gonna start getting some of these stones.

Old 08-02-2014, 01:02 PM   #197
seahammer
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDM1986 View Post
I agree with this 100 percent. We have 3 more stones to be introduced too. Real question is when is Thanos gonna start getting some of these stones.
Yep, that is the question. My dad saw GOTG and said "why should I be afraid of Thanos? He hasn't been very successful so far."

And that's a good point. I know him from the comics, so I know what he's capable of, but so far in the films he's trusted things to lackies who have failed him, and he hasn't done anything about it.

I imagine that somehow he'll start gathering up the stones before Avengers 3, but when and how? Maybe all Phase 3 films will have him gaining one stone after the credits or something...?

Read my Thor 3 plot pitch

Read my Tales of Asgard mini-series pitch
seahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 01:23 PM   #198
Marvelocity
Side-Kick

This is true. The longer Thanos waits to accomplish something, the more incompetent he looks. That's why I think it's lame for Marvel to introduce a character way before they intend to have him in the mix. What are we to believe they were doing the whole time? Look at the Leader. He was introduced in 2008 and may never get a big screen appearance. By the time he does do something, it's like...it took you 10 years to come up with that? So what was the point?

Marvelocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 02:00 PM   #199
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvelocity View Post
This is true. The longer Thanos waits to accomplish something, the more incompetent he looks. That's why I think it's lame for Marvel to introduce a character way before they intend to have him in the mix. What are we to believe they were doing the whole time? Look at the Leader. He was introduced in 2008 and may never get a big screen appearance. By the time he does do something, it's like...it took you 10 years to come up with that? So what was the point?
10 years is nothing for the Mad Titan. Thanos went to a public toilet in Disneyland once, he waited four decades in the line.

RANDOM BLOCKBUSTER SEQUEL: RETURN OF THE RISING DARKNESS
------------------------------

ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic

R_Hythlodeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 03:41 PM   #200
Kiltman
E-list Character

I hope the first act of Avengers 3 is Thanos' assault on Asgard. Where he not only gets the Tesseract (which would be the final one he needs) but obviously the Infinity Gauntlet as well.

Kiltman is offline   Reply With Quote