The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Closed Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 12:38 PM   #251
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

Default Re: All Things Superman and Batman: An Open Discussion - Part 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach View Post
(Burt Ward Robin-voice) Holy Poisoned Tipped Nails, Batman!
(Adam West) Do..not fret old chum. Judging from the effects of this poison I believe it is from the northwest corner of Corto Maltese. It is made from an extract from the red amaranthine plant. I have memorized the exact chemical composition of the poison and inoculated us a few weeks ago from it when I heard news of a shipment of the plant was stolen.

This was the EXACT reason he had the Bat-mobile equipped with a vacuum tube powered Bat Toxic Carpentry Items Analyzer.

He truly proved that every person has the potential to be a force for good in this life. So anyone that reads this, do me a favor... Call your parents.
Old 11-02-2013, 12:42 PM   #252
roach
I am the night

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRYPTON INC. View Post
This was the EXACT reason he had the Bat-mobile equipped with a vacuum tube powered Bat Toxic Carpentry Items Analyzer.
This would be Marvin's last image as he is hauled off the jail
Attached Images
File Type: jpg adam_west_batman.jpg (9.9 KB, 0 views)

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in todayís protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You donít like a story? Thatís fine Ė donít read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
Old 11-02-2013, 01:01 PM   #253
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

The only question left is: Who plays Marvin? Vincent Price, Art Carney or Otto Preminger?

Old 11-02-2013, 01:03 PM   #254
roach
I am the night

Vincent Price

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in todayís protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You donít like a story? Thatís fine Ė donít read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
Old 11-02-2013, 01:10 PM   #255
Marvin
Side-Kick

this guy

Old 11-02-2013, 01:12 PM   #256
John-An
The Man of Tomorrow

Quote:
wait doesn't blue kryptonite make Superman stronger???
no, it takes his powers out...

Old 11-02-2013, 01:15 PM   #257
roach
I am the night

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMan of Steel View Post
no, it takes his powers out...
I thought that was gold

In the comics blue K is the green K to Bizarros…it heals Superman and harms Bizarros
On Smallville it takes powers away and makes Kryptonians normal.

Old 11-02-2013, 01:21 PM   #258
John-An
The Man of Tomorrow

Quote:
I thought that was gold

In the comics blue K is the green K to BizarrosÖit heals Superman and harms Bizarros
On Smallville it takes powers away and makes Kryptonians normal.
the gold takes him out but forever (didn't like that kryptonite)

Old 11-02-2013, 01:37 PM   #259
MrMaooz
Positively Shocking.

Quote:
You can have your opinion man, of course you can.. but not agreed this time sorry, there are many movies (cmb) that has a a lot of TF3 vibes.. the one above included.. As I said the vibe of the sci Fi of MOS is a little ID but the action presented I can't find another similar to the action plasmed in MOS..

Old 11-02-2013, 02:03 PM   #260
Bathead
The Oldest Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by NosfeRomas View Post
Batman made the Watchtower by himself ? really ?
No , he didn't build it, he helped finance it, (along with Ollie's help, I'm sure)

*splat*
Old 11-02-2013, 02:31 PM   #261
John-An
The Man of Tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMaooz View Post

Old 11-02-2013, 02:38 PM   #262
MrsKent26
Whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultra Nolanite View Post
No disrespect but I just find it strange people would want the DC movies to continue neglecting their heritage.

Also you're complaining about WW being nothing more than eyecandy for males with the way she looks and dresses, yet you fail to adress the fact that Superman and Batman walk around sporting their perfect sixpack abs and perfectly toned bodies in skin tight outfits. For some reason you're OK with that ?

Not saying you can't have your opinion, it is just my opinion that your opinion is flawed. You say Greek mythology is taking it too far but why aren't you open to the fact that a decent writer could pull it off ? These are works of imagination, they made Thor work yet you draw the line at Wonder Woman ?

Like I said, you're supposed to be astonished by these events, is that not the whole point of these characters ?

Greek mythology, Kryptonians, Atlanteans, Martians, Lanterns. They're part of the DNA of DC. You would have them shy away from that ?

These are supposed to be incredible, unbelievable events that are occuring.
Firstly, I was offended by the way you worded your previous post, because it was rude, not by your opinion.

And I hate how people make assumptions that anyone who dares to say they like the realistic approach are blind Nolan fanboys. That's not the case. I do like Nolan, but he has his flaws.

My opinion is that I'd don't like the whole greek mythology thing. That's just personal taste, not a "flawed" opinion. I don't mind crazy things that happen, I just like it to go in a more sc-fi direction and not mesh a whole bunch of other things. And as for this "DC's heritage" stuff, I don't care. There are many interpretations of the source material and I would have preferred one that just had humans and aliens. I know all these things are blended in the comics, but movies are a different medium.

And as for WW's costume. Yes, Supes and Bats wear tight costumes that show muscles. Do you really think that's for girls? I think it's more about men's ideas of what a masculine superhero looks like. That's why so many men here are so into how big Affleck/Cavill will be for this movie. And sure, some girls enjoy looking at them too. I know I do. But there's a difference in how each is portrayed. WW seems to be there only for guys to look at while's she's in crazy poses with boobs everywhere. Often that seems to be her primary role: a sex object. And while some people may see Supes/Bats as sexy too, that isn't the whole point of them. They have actual personalities written for them. Of course, WW may mean something else to others. This is just how I see it.

And as for Thor, IMO, the Marvel universe is fluffy and lacks any true drama. So, in my opinion the Marvel approach isn't a good example of what should be done with DC. I respect the fact that others will disagree and I don't look down on them for liking it, but I want some choice in CBMs. I don't want them all to be marvelized. I liked how DC was doing its own thing and wanted that to continue. This WW thing bothers me because its seems like DC is going in that direction and marvel-style movies will be the only choice. I liked having the option of the fun, light Marvel and dramatic DC. So I guess that's my whole issue with this.

And perhaps a decent writer could add more mystical things but still keep the drama, I don't know. I'm not saying it could never work. WW could be written better and maybe I could like how she was handled. I would love to be pleasantly surprised. I just worry I won't be.

Old 11-02-2013, 02:50 PM   #263
MrMaooz
Positively Shocking.

Quote:

Old 11-02-2013, 02:57 PM   #264
The Question
Objectivism doesn't work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultra Nolanite View Post
Also you're complaining about WW being nothing more than eyecandy for males with the way she looks and dresses, yet you fail to adress the fact that Superman and Batman walk around sporting their perfect sixpack abs and perfectly toned bodies in skin tight outfits. For some reason you're OK with that ?
*sigh*...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaze#Th...eminist_theory

http://www.thedollarbin.net/articles...the-dc-co.html

http://comicsalliance.com/starfire-c...-superheroine/

http://nickpiers.wordpress.com/2013/...-idealization/

http://www.comicsbulletin.com/column...erhero-comics/

Pertinent quote:

Quote:
Arguing that men are "objectified" in mainstream superhero comics, however, is just silly. Objectified for who? Not for me. Not even for gay men, according to this article. At best, one might argue that male superheroes are drawn to be what straight men think women want to see. More realistically, male superheroes are drawn to be what straight men want to be, showing them as powerful and competent without making them sexually provocative, since a display of sexual availability might make the "target market" of those comics uncomfortable.
Emphasis mine.

Old 11-02-2013, 03:32 PM   #265
John-An
The Man of Tomorrow

Quote:
You!!!!!

Old 11-02-2013, 03:40 PM   #266
MrMaooz
Positively Shocking.

I know!!!

Old 11-02-2013, 03:42 PM   #267
John-An
The Man of Tomorrow

Quote:
I know!!!
master of gifs I have to admit

Old 11-02-2013, 04:32 PM   #268
TheBat812
Side-Kick

Quote:
I got lost with all the acronyms as well....

Old 11-03-2013, 01:24 AM   #269
smallville fan
Hero

Has anybody posted video questions up on:

http://woobox.com/zqbm59/

This is the live fan event where you ask questions to Snyder and the cast

If so, then did anyone upload a video from your computer hard drive? Was your video playable on the site? Not sure if mine went through or not.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 11-03-2013, 01:33 AM   #270
Rorschach2012
$

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallville fan View Post
Has anybody posted video questions up on:

http://woobox.com/zqbm59/

This is the live fan event where you ask questions to Snyder and the cast

If so, then did anyone upload a video from your computer hard drive? Was your video playable on the site? Not sure if mine went through or not.
Yeah I asked if Arrow and Flash will exist in the MOS universe

Old 11-03-2013, 01:35 AM   #271
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach2012 View Post
You mean the versions from the television series or just the character themselves?

Old 11-03-2013, 01:15 AM   #272
smallville fan
Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach2012 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
You mean the versions from the television series or just the character themselves?
He definitely meant the TV shows

@Rorschach2012, Is your video playable on the website? I can see some that were sent and encoded via youtube, instagram etc, but I can't see most others including mine. Is that the same with you?

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 11-03-2013, 05:32 AM   #273
Willi Berg
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsKent26 View Post

My opinion is that I'd don't like the whole greek mythology thing. That's just personal taste, not a "flawed" opinion. I don't mind crazy things that happen, I just like it to go in a more sc-fi direction and not mesh a whole bunch of other things. And as for this "DC's heritage" stuff, I don't care. There are many interpretations of the source material and I would have preferred one that just had humans and aliens. I know all these things are blended in the comics, but movies are a different medium.

And perhaps a decent writer could add more mystical things but still keep the drama, I don't know. I'm not saying it could never work. WW could be written better and maybe I could like how she was handled. I would love to be pleasantly surprised. I just worry I won't be.

And as for Thor, IMO, the Marvel universe is fluffy and lacks any true drama. So, in my opinion the Marvel approach isn't a good example of what should be done with DC. I respect the fact that others will disagree and I don't look down on them for liking it, but I want some choice in CBMs. I don't want them all to be marvelized. I liked how DC was doing its own thing and wanted that to continue. This WW thing bothers me because its seems like DC is going in that direction and marvel-style movies will be the only choice. I liked having the option of the fun, light Marvel and dramatic DC. So I guess that's my whole issue with this.
I understand your concerns, but I think they could handle WW very seriously and stay dramatic without going as 'fluffy' as Marvel.

As a WW fan, I wouldn't mind if they go more sci-fi with her story, but I think they can still use her own mythology to achieve this.

For example, the Amazons are supposed to be an advanced civilisation. I wouldn't mind seeing that they are so advanced that they figure out secrets to human strength, vulnerability, immortality, life etc. They don't need Kryptonian DNA to do this. Certain aspects can be altered but still be recognisable as "Wonder Woman", the way changes were made to Superman's lore in MOS but still recognisably "Superman."

Whichever way they go, I find the story of Wonder Woman and Amazon society to be an interesting one, and can be portrayed in many ways. And there was a lot of thought behind it in its creation by Marston.

As for her mythology, we see movies like "Pacific Rim" which is sci-fi have monsters coming out of the Earth and we see science tampering with nature that causes all these problems etc. Wonder Woman could go in this direction as well. Plus she also deals with other themes of war and gender etc.

As for the Gods, quite honestly I am at a loss and don't know what they should do about that right now.

Quote:
And as for WW's costume. Yes, Supes and Bats wear tight costumes that show muscles. Do you really think that's for girls? I think it's more about men's ideas of what a masculine superhero looks like. That's why so many men here are so into how big Affleck/Cavill will be for this movie. And sure, some girls enjoy looking at them too. I know I do. But there's a difference in how each is portrayed. WW seems to be there only for guys to look at while's she's in crazy poses with boobs everywhere. Often that seems to be her primary role: a sex object. And while some people may see Supes/Bats as sexy too, that isn't the whole point of them. They have actual personalities written for them. Of course, WW may mean something else to others. This is just how I see it.
It's obvious WW's costume has been somewhat problematic over the years. But even the feminist Gloria Steinem didn't like when they changed WW's costume and gave her jacket and pants. But comic book artists do tend to draw WW at her most exaggerated, and in live action she doesn't have to be that way. She doesn't have to be exposing so much flesh.

Last edited by Willi Berg; 11-03-2013 at 05:46 AM.
Old 11-03-2013, 06:23 AM   #274
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

I really do hope that they don't end up sticking with the title of "Batman vs Superman", or vice versa because that's like the most generic title that they could possibly go with.

Old 11-03-2013, 07:10 AM   #275
ArmsHeldOut
Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
I really do hope that they don't end up sticking with the title of "Batman vs Superman", or vice versa because that's like the most generic title that they could possibly go with.
Yeah, that title brings to mind cheesy films like Freddie vs Jason or Alien vs Predator. I know they want to sell toys, but is it necessary to scream it quite so loudly?

Closed Thread