The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Closed Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 02:55 PM   #26
Dragon_316ca
Side-Kick

Default Re: All Things Superman and Batman: An Open Discussion - Part 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krumm View Post
Apparently there will be a special announcement on the MOS facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/manofsteel
Hoping for casting announcement, like, I don't know........who's playing Lex?!?!

Matthew Modine: You can't really relate to Thor, for instance! I like the story, but I don't relate to him -- I can't use his hammer!
Old 11-01-2013, 02:57 PM   #27
Krumm
Beer Snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon_316ca View Post
Hoping for casting announcement, like, I don't know........who's playing Lex?!?!
I have to say the facebook page is an odd place to make an announcement, so while I hope it's major it really will probably just be about the DVD...

Old 11-01-2013, 03:09 PM   #28
wonderwoman5757
Side-Kick

i'm sure it will be something lame.

Old 11-01-2013, 03:15 PM   #29
Dark_Lord
Dark Lord of the Sith

I think it will either have something to do with the home release (blu-ray, dvd, etc...) or they'll announce the title (at least I hope). I don't think it's going to be anything bigger than that.

Old 11-01-2013, 03:15 PM   #30
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon_316ca View Post
Hamm or Cranston
Bet on it.

Old 11-01-2013, 03:26 PM   #31
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

My actual point with the reference to the Captain Marvel vs Superman fight was to show the similarity not just in tone but in detail with MoS. It really made me think that aybe Snyder watched that boring and awful cartoon, and decided to make a homage, an easter egg, to one of the few passable arcs that are mediocre rather than terrible (Cadmus).

However, the two fights are in fact quite similar. Further, the fight versus Captain Marvel is not the only time in the cartoons that Superman levels Metropolis. There are theoretically thousands of dead every couple episodes.

My conclusion from this is either that:
- the people saying they didn't like MoS because there was too much destruction, often hardcore superman fans who have watched the cartoons, are honest that they did not like MoS, but are not sophisticated enough to properly articulate the reasons why, and that they have as such converged on an incorrect explanation for their distaste;
- they're ok with seeing people killed as long as it's in a "cartoon" and swept under the rug, because then they can ignore it;

Or both.

Old 11-01-2013, 03:35 PM   #32
The Guard
Side-Kick

I would imagine Snyder, you know, has read a comic book in the last 20 years where stuff gets destroyed all the time.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
Old 11-01-2013, 03:59 PM   #33
Krumm
Beer Snob

The announcement has been made.

Quote:
Join Director Zack Snyder, Henry Cavill and Amy Adams with special host Kevin Smith on November 9th for a live fan event like no other on Yahoo.

The cast and crew will talk all things Man of Steel discuss what the future holds for the Last Son of Krypton and answer your fan questions! Submit your video questions here for chance to have them answered during the live fan event: http://bit.ly/AskManofSteel
I like it!

Old 11-01-2013, 04:09 PM   #34
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Yeah that sounds like fun.

Old 11-01-2013, 04:09 PM   #35
fake
Side-Kick

Quote:
The announcement has been made.

I like it!
That's cool. Next Saturday then. I think most questions answered will be softballs, but hopefully they tease something about the next movie.

Old 11-01-2013, 04:41 PM   #36
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA_Champion View Post
My actual point with the reference to the Captain Marvel vs Superman fight was to show the similarity not just in tone but in detail with MoS. It really made me think that aybe Snyder watched that boring and awful cartoon, and decided to make a homage, an easter egg, to one of the few passable arcs that are mediocre rather than terrible (Cadmus).

However, the two fights are in fact quite similar. Further, the fight versus Captain Marvel is not the only time in the cartoons that Superman levels Metropolis. There are theoretically thousands of dead every couple episodes.

- the people saying they didn't like MoS because there was too much destruction, often hardcore superman fans who have watched the cartoons, are honest that they did not like MoS, but are not sophisticated enough to properly articulate the reasons why, and that they have as such converged on an incorrect explanation for their distaste;
- they're ok with seeing people killed as long as it's in a "cartoon" and swept under the rug, because then they can ignore it;

Or both.
People died in the CM/Superman fight?

Not sure if you have Guard on ignore but he raise a good point, why on earth you you correlate mos to that specific episode where there is tons of superman city battles with collateral damage? Why that story in particular?

Old 11-01-2013, 04:46 PM   #37
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
They "died" in the same way that 130,000 people died in the Metropolis fight in MoS.

Quote:
Not sure if you have Guard on ignore but he raise a good point, why on earth you you correlate mos to that specific episode where there is tons of superman city battles with collateral damage? Why that story in particular?
I have Guard on ignore.

It wasn't just the violence that looked similar, I thought some of the specific shots looked the same.

Also, I'm not randomly putting in the captain marvel fight. It's relevant to me because I'm currently watching that awful cartoon beginning to end, and I saw the fight last night and that's what I was thinking.

Asides: The Cadmus arc is hopelessly overrated, though The Question is the most interesting and most fun character on the show. When I saw Lex Luthor procreate with Brainiac, I burst out laughing.

Old 11-01-2013, 04:50 PM   #38
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

Quote:
They "died" in the same way that 130,000 people died in the Metropolis fight in MoS.
The city was evacuated because Superman thought there was some sort of bomb there.

Old 11-01-2013, 04:53 PM   #39
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama_Shepherd View Post
The city was evacuated because Superman thought there was some sort of bomb there.
In the cartoon?

The fighting began within a minute of Superman telling people to run, and then they destroyed entire buildings spread over a vast distance.

Old 11-01-2013, 05:03 PM   #40
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

The city hadn't been inhabited yet, the only people who needed to run were the people present at the unveiling of the city.

Old 11-01-2013, 05:37 PM   #41
Krumm
Beer Snob

I think it's interesting that Superman is in opposing positions in those scenes.

Superman = Captain Marvel
Zod = Superman

I don't think Superman can be viewed as negatively in both instances unless everyone is looked at with the same negativity.

Old 11-01-2013, 05:37 PM   #42
roach
I am the night

Quote:

Or both.
awful cartoon?????

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in todayís protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You donít like a story? Thatís fine Ė donít read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
Old 11-01-2013, 05:38 PM   #43
roach
I am the night

Quote:

he puts people on ignore that combat his theories with knowledge. I am on his ignore too.

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in todayís protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You donít like a story? Thatís fine Ė donít read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
Old 11-01-2013, 05:39 PM   #44
John-An
The Man of Tomorrow

Quote:
Apparently there will be a special announcement on the MOS facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/manofsteel
Wow

Old 11-01-2013, 05:50 PM   #45
John-An
The Man of Tomorrow

Quote:

I have Guard on ignore.

It wasn't just the violence that looked similar, I thought some of the specific shots looked the same.

Also, I'm not randomly putting in the captain marvel fight. It's relevant to me because I'm currently watching that awful cartoon beginning to end, and I saw the fight last night and that's what I was thinking.

Asides: The Cadmus arc is hopelessly overrated, though The Question is the most interesting and most fun character on the show. When I saw Lex Luthor procreate with Brainiac, I burst out laughing.
Not right at all.. Most casualties of MOS were cause the WE.. when Superman and Zod started to fight, most of buildings were abandoned few moments ago... not the same as Jl episode which is only the fight between supes and shazam

Old 11-01-2013, 05:52 PM   #46
The Question
Objectivism doesn't work.

Quote:
No, really, tell us how you really feel.

Quote:
The fight with Captain Marvel didn't take place in Metropolis. It didn't even take place in an inhabited city.

And, other than the series finale where they fight Darkseid, when was there ever that much destruction in any of the fights in the DCAU?

Quote:

Or both.
Or because there are actually differences between the fight in the cartoon and the fight in the movie? Maybe? Maybe because it's not simply the amount of destruction, but the manner in which that destruction is framed and presented to the audience?

Old 11-01-2013, 05:56 PM   #47
John-An
The Man of Tomorrow

I've watched Thor TDW that's my opinion from the movie:
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
there's not to much to talk
bad story, meh plot, too much silly events
terrible villain (one of the lamest of Marvel)
the best parts were from Loki and some pretty good effects but nothing to say it was better or worst than IM3 both were pretty lame overall
And of course the better part is when the mid-credits appeared when one of the infinity stones make his first appearance for the upcoming from Marvel

Last edited by John-An; 11-01-2013 at 06:27 PM.
Old 11-01-2013, 06:17 PM   #48
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
I think it's interesting that Superman is in opposing positions in those scenes.

Superman = Captain Marvel
Zod = Superman

I don't think Superman can be viewed as negatively in both instances unless everyone is looked at with the same negativity.
surely you are talking about who is the aggressor and perhaps stronger, not much else. Intent goes along way imo.

Old 11-01-2013, 06:20 PM   #49
Krumm
Beer Snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Question View Post
Or because there are actually differences between the fight in the cartoon and the fight in the movie? Maybe? Maybe because it's not simply the amount of destruction, but the manner in which that destruction is framed and presented to the audience?
Yes, aesthetically there are similarities but thematically they are very different.

Old 11-01-2013, 06:21 PM   #50
Krumm
Beer Snob

Quote:
surely you are talking about who is the aggressor and perhaps stronger, not much else. Intent goes along way imo.
Yes, as the aggressor. Exactly.

Closed Thread