The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 03:30 PM   #51
SuperT
Boom Shaka Laka

Default Re: DOFP vs other 2014 ComicsMovies Thread [Buzz, BoxOffice and more] - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post
Disney live action films apart from marvel films and soon Star Wars don't always rake In the
money.
Uhm - their last two live-action movies based off of highly popular stories, Alice in Wonderland and Oz: The Great and Powerful were HUGE at the box office.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spector313 View Post
Disney has terrible marketing? That's a new one. Disney is a marketing juggernaut. They may have missteps at times, but they are still one of the biggest marketers out there with the range of connections that they have. Any project that they're behind, especially if it's something having to do with one of their longest standing and most popular franchises, is something any film premiering around it should take note of.
Yea, the notion that Disney has terrible marketing is ridiculous. They are some of the best marketers out there.

Old 11-03-2013, 03:50 PM   #52
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Default Re: DOFP vs other 2014 ComicsMovies Thread [Buzz, BoxOffice and more] - Part 1

John Carter and The Lone Ranger says hello.

Johnny Depp was In Disney's huge smash alice and that didn't help Lone ranger
that much.

Angelina Jolie's box office hits are when she Is kicking butt In action films.There
Is no gurante that will translate to film about DIsney villian.

Old 11-03-2013, 04:06 PM   #53
def28
Side-Kick

Do you really think Malificent has more in common with John Carter and Lone Ranger as opposed to Alice and Oz? It's not just Angalina Jolie that's gonna sell this thing. It's the classic story mixed with the Disney brand. Pretty much every kid and Family knows Disney's Sleeping Beauty. It's a timeless classic parents pass on to their kids and show them at theme parks. The fact that it's translating to live action is gonna be the main sell. Your trippin if you don't think that thing has box office draw with Disney behind it.

Last edited by def28; 11-03-2013 at 04:16 PM.
Old 11-03-2013, 04:17 PM   #54
Specter313
Ghost of all things X

Quote:
John Carter and The Lone Ranger says hello.

Johnny Depp was In Disney's huge smash alice and that didn't help Lone ranger
that much.

Angelina Jolie's box office hits are when she Is kicking butt In action films.There
Is no gurante that will translate to film about DIsney villian.
And you can name two films out of their entire catalog of films that stretch back decades as only your points. Not a strong argument.

You're also forgetting that those films are mediocre to bad, which could be seen by anyone with a pair of eyes from their promotion beforehand. We don't know how Maleficent will turn out yet because we haven't seen anything from it yet.

Maleficent is also still a character that is relevant to today's audience, and John Carter and Lone Ranger haven't been relevant in decades, as many of the major movie going audience weren't likely even alive back when they were last household names.

Not everything Disney touches turns to gold, but to write off anything they make is naive, and you'd better believe they'd market it to the best of their ability to make every dollar back.

Old 11-03-2013, 04:18 PM   #55
GenUsername
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMaooz View Post
Well there ya go.

Do you guys think Maleficent and Edge of Tomorrow will put a dent in DOFP's BO run?
YEP. Disney is trying to pull something here with their live-action Fairy Tale movies (they have a Cinderella film out 2015), I'm getting a feeling they want Maleficient to kick off some sort off Fairy Tale franchise (Marvel for Girls) so I'm gonna guess their gonna go all out for Maleficient.

By the time Maleficient is released it will be several months after Disneys other female oriented movie Frozen, merchandise-wise this could mean that Disney may try and recapture that market with this film, and they probably will, so I expect Maleficient to hav a decent sized buzz by time it's released.

Edge of Tommorow could dent things further, internationally this could be a larger issue, but with some release dates for DOFP being more than a month after the US release in some countries the blow it delivers could be less painful.

Also disney+Classic fairy tale=$$$$

Old 11-03-2013, 04:31 PM   #56
SuperT
Boom Shaka Laka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specter313 View Post
We don't know how Maleficent will turn out yet because we haven't seen anything from it yet.
On a side note about this that adds more fuel to my thinking that Maleficent is going to be big - my boyfriend has actually seen footage from Maleficent (we work for a company that does a lot of partnerships with Disney) and he says the movie looks phenomenal.

His words and I would certainly consider him apart of the general movie going market.

Once again - this movie is going to be a big one.

Old 11-03-2013, 04:39 PM   #57
Zarex
Side-Kick

Dropping DOFP into second place would be a "win-win" scenario for Disney execs in that it would reflect strength for their live-action adaptations of animated properties while also limiting the profitability of a franchise based on licensed characters they would prefer to control. Though not guaranteed success, Malificent is not going to be lacking Disney marketing resources.

Old 11-03-2013, 04:42 PM   #58
MrMaooz
Positively Shocking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenUsername View Post
YEP. Disney is trying to pull something here with their live-action Fairy Tale movies (they have a Cinderella film out 2015), I'm getting a feeling they want Maleficient to kick off some sort off Fairy Tale franchise (Marvel for Girls) so I'm gonna guess their gonna go all out for Maleficient.

By the time Maleficient is released it will be several months after Disneys other female oriented movie Frozen, merchandise-wise this could mean that Disney may try and recapture that market with this film, and they probably will, so I expect Maleficient to hav a decent sized buzz by time it's released.

Edge of Tommorow could dent things further, internationally this could be a larger issue, but with some release dates for DOFP being more than a month after the US release in some countries the blow it delivers could be less painful.

Also disney+Classic fairy tale=$$$$
Yeah, even though Cruise isn't the big BO man as he was pre-WOTW, you know with him the movie will do fine and won't flop. Add on Emily Blunt, an interesting and action packed premise from the guy who directed The Bourne Identity and Mr and Mrs. Smith, it will do well.

Old 11-03-2013, 06:44 PM   #59
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarex View Post
Dropping DOFP into second place would be a "win-win" scenario for Disney execs in that it would reflect strength for their live-action adaptations of animated properties while also limiting the profitability of a franchise based on licensed characters they would prefer to control. Though not guaranteed success, Malificent is not going to be lacking Disney marketing resources.
so once again cherleading Disney hurting X-Men I see.

Is this the X-Men board or not.I see plenty of cheerleading of 2014 releases here besides the film focus of this thread-Days of future past.

who knows what maleficent will do.I haven't been following that film.

Old 11-03-2013, 06:48 PM   #60
MrMaooz
Positively Shocking.

Quote:
so once again cherleading Disney hurting X-Men I see.

Is this the X-Men board or not.I see plenty of cheerleading of 2014 releases here besides the film focus of this thread-Days of future past.

who knows what maleficent will do.I haven't been following that film.
Ummm...this is the box office thread of the X-Men boards. We're discussing movies that can hurt it or affect it.

Old 11-03-2013, 06:52 PM   #61
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

One user keeps coming here not to be postive for DOFP or talk about film but to cheerlead disney hurting X-Men brand.

Meanwhile others come here and talk how great all other 2014 releases will be at box office.It's like why should X-Men even bother.

Old 11-03-2013, 07:14 PM   #62
MrMaooz
Positively Shocking.

I think things are just fine...

Old 11-03-2013, 07:16 PM   #63
Zarex
Side-Kick

Quote:
One user keeps coming here not to be postive for DOFP or talk about film but to cheerlead disney hurting X-Men brand.

Meanwhile others come here and talk how great all other 2014 releases will be at box office.It's like why should X-Men even bother.
DOFP WILL RULE 2014!!! 1 BILLION GUAR-AN-TEED!!! NO MORE KIDDY MCU!!!
FOX IS BOSS!!! X-MEN + FF = AWESOME!!!

Better?

Old 11-03-2013, 07:21 PM   #64
MrMaooz
Positively Shocking.

DOFP will outgross Avatar!!!!

Old 11-03-2013, 07:28 PM   #65
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

It will outgrows the avengers and it will make 3 billion worldwide!!!! Positive enough?

Old 11-03-2013, 07:46 PM   #66
GenUsername
Side-Kick

DOFP WILL BE THE GREATEST CINEMATIC FEAT SINCE JOHN McCLANE FOUND OUT WHAT A TV DINNER FELT LIKE!!!

Old 11-03-2013, 07:56 PM   #67
MrMaooz
Positively Shocking.

No but really, what the hell was he on about? We were just talking about things that might hurt the movie.

Anyways, DOFP might make more money than all of James Cameron's movies.

Old 11-03-2013, 08:09 PM   #68
MarvelU
Side-Kick

Anyways, on a more serious note DOFP will be the highest grossing X-men film to date. Wolverine managed to make over 400 million world wide and this was a fairly small budget film with mostly unknown actors.

Days of Future Past has a very good recognizable cast, a good story that it is based on, and the marketing has been better than X-men First Class and Wolverine. With a viral site, lots of pics, and an earlier than usual trailer. Plus First Class and Wolverine managed to get fairly positive reviews, especially First Class.

Old 11-03-2013, 09:42 PM   #69
psylockolussus
X-Men OT Cast Fanboy

Quote:
Well there ya go.

Do you guys think Maleficent and Edge of Tomorrow will put a dent in DOFP's BO run?
I don't think they will.

My only concern with DOFP's competition was The Good Dinosaur, but good thing Pixar moved it to another date.

Hugh Jackman - Halle Berry - Ian McKellen - Patrick Stewart
Anna Paquin - Shawn Ashmore - Daniel Cudmore - Ellen Page
Old 11-03-2013, 10:14 PM   #70
MrMaooz
Positively Shocking.

It's hard to stop Jolie and Cruise though.

Old 11-03-2013, 10:26 PM   #71
psylockolussus
X-Men OT Cast Fanboy

Quote:
They are big stars, but remember Oblivion didn't perform that big this year. Jack Reacher/Rock of Ages didn't perform that big last year. Tom Cruise's only hit after MI:3 is Ghost Protocol.

Angelina Jolie's last big movie is Salt, but people actually expected more money from that movie because the lead is Angelina Jolie. And her other big film before Salt - Wanted, came out 5 years ago. I'm not counting Kung Fu Panda 2 because I don't think people watched that movie because Angelina Jolie is one of the voice actors.

Malificent is gonna do well next year, but Malificent is more known as a villain of Sleeping Beauty. But this is the first time that Malificent is the lead character in a movie. Its different to Alice in Wonderland/Oz, Alice in Wonderland acts a sequel to Alice in Wonderland animated film but it was marketed as if its the Alice in Wonderland remake. Oz is a prequel to a well-known film.

Bottom-line is DOFP has more star power than those movies. If you think Edge of Tomorrow has Tom Cruise/Emily Blunt and Malificent has Angelina Jolie, well X-Men Days of Future Past has Hugh Jackman/Halle Berry/Ian McKellen/Patrick Stewart/Jennifer Lawrence/Michael Fassbender, etc...

Old 11-03-2013, 10:37 PM   #72
BMM
Side-Kick

Quote:
Yes, in 2005.

Outside of the Mission Impossible franchise, Cruise hasn't been able to land a domestic blockbuster since War of the Worlds, and Jolie's highest grossing film is Mr. and Mrs. Smith--a film that costarred Brad Pitt but still couldn't reach $200 million. Maleficent will most likely be her first film to achieve that designation, though I'm not sure it will come at that great a cost to Days of Future Past, unless the X-Men franchise has a large mother-daughter contingent of which we've all been unaware.

Last edited by BMM; 11-03-2013 at 11:04 PM.
Old 11-03-2013, 11:29 PM   #73
GenUsername
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
They are big stars, but remember Oblivion didn't perform that big this year. Jack Reacher/Rock of Ages didn't perform that big last year. Tom Cruise's only hit after MI:3 is Ghost Protocol.

Angelina Jolie's last big movie is Salt, but people actually expected more money from that movie because the lead is Angelina Jolie. And her other big film before Salt - Wanted, came out 5 years ago. I'm not counting Kung Fu Panda 2 because I don't think people watched that movie because Angelina Jolie is one of the voice actors.

Malificent is gonna do well next year, but Malificent is more known as a villain of Sleeping Beauty. But this is the first time that Malificent is the lead character in a movie. Its different to Alice in Wonderland/Oz, Alice in Wonderland acts a sequel to Alice in Wonderland animated film but it was marketed as if its the Alice in Wonderland remake. Oz is a prequel to a well-known film.

Bottom-line is DOFP has more star power than those movies. If you think Edge of Tomorrow has Tom Cruise/Emily Blunt and Malificent has Angelina Jolie, well X-Men Days of Future Past has Hugh Jackman/Halle Berry/Ian McKellen/Patrick Stewart/Jennifer Lawrence/Michael Fassbender, etc...
Star power is there and all but lets face it, when it comes to these summer blockbusters that are unlikely to gain award recognition, especially CBM's and large scale fantasy adaptions, it very rarely matters who you have in the movie, ITS THE CHARACTERS that will sell xmen, the actors the audience have already attributed playing them being in the movie is simply a bonus. Maleficient will be fine, disney will end up finding a way to get butts in seats (it seems interesting, I wanna find out how big it could get). As with most summer blockbusters these films are in DIRECT competition, doesn't really matter if it's girly or not, if it's rated pg/pg13 and features at least one cgi explosion in the trailer it's competition.

Edge of Tommorow is a different situation. I'm banking on Godzilla being a bust for WB. With Legendary owning the rights to the character, WB having only a 25% stake in the budget as well as Legendary teaming up with Universal, I doubt WB would wanna start a new franchise for a competitor. Edge could be WB's saving grace, and with their summer slate being quite "clear", they could go wild marketing this thing, a potential new franchise. Tom Cruise being in it just adds to its marketability, he may not be huge with general audiences but neither was Brad Pitt, and "Brad Pitt Zombie Movie" did quite well. I doubt it was down to Brad Pitt, I just think people wanted to see zombies do wild *****. Same will happen here, Tom Cruise will have his name on the poster but if there's nothing cool happening in the ads people won't come.

Old 11-03-2013, 11:41 PM   #74
psylockolussus
X-Men OT Cast Fanboy

Yeah you think all the other movies are gonna do great and X-Men is gonna do just okay. Not mindblowing.
I do wonder why you only appear in this board when the discussion is about box-office. Are you even a X-Men fan?

I only brought up star power because people think the star power of Malificent and Edge of Tomorrow will be one of the key success of those movies, well DOFP has star power too.

Old 11-04-2013, 12:30 AM   #75
GenUsername
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
Yeah you think all the other movies are gonna do great and X-Men is gonna do just okay. Not mindblowing.
I do wonder why you only appear in this board when the discussion is about box-office. Are you even a X-Men fan?

I only brought up star power because people think the star power of Malificent and Edge of Tomorrow will be one of the key success of those movies, well DOFP has star power too.
Really? DOFP is gonna be huge. Its 2013, when it comes to summer franchise blockbusters there's not really anything "mind blowing" or shocking in terms of box office (excluding animated films, the occasional "it could have made more money in its position but didn't", and the "holy crap China really likes this film"). These things can get a fairly decent rough estimate of how well they can do by time the trailers for the film and competition get out, I wouldn't trust them, but they're normally sound. Xmen is using the Fast Five technique of bringing back the old characters, thus making it a shifty bugger in terms of guessing how big it's gonna be. Honestly if any summer blockbuster was going to be "mind blowing", it would be a well accepted fact by most people by now.

And yes I'm an xmen fan, and a comic fan but apart from sales and BO there's not much to currently speculate on. Most speculation is usually fanboy stuff and then the good speculation ends up spoiling the movie. Don't get me started on comics, almost all speculation over there is 100% right thanks to the onslaught of spoilers and the creators fear of actually evolving their characters.

Last edited by GenUsername; 11-04-2013 at 12:36 AM.
Closed Thread