The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Closed Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 01:46 AM   #76
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Default Re: DOFP vs other 2014 ComicsMovies Thread [Buzz, BoxOffice and more] - Part 1

X-Men Days of Future Past is currently #1 in IMDb

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1877832/

Though they haven't updated this page yet:
pro.imdb.com/moviemeter/?d=tt_moviemeter_why

"Superheroes in New York? Give me a break!" - A1
"'Nuff said" - SM3
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
Old 11-04-2013, 06:44 AM   #77
MrMaooz
Positively Shocking.

Default Re: DOFP vs other 2014 ComicsMovies Thread [Buzz, BoxOffice and more] - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
They are big stars, but remember Oblivion didn't perform that big this year. Jack Reacher/Rock of Ages didn't perform that big last year. Tom Cruise's only hit after MI:3 is Ghost Protocol.

Angelina Jolie's last big movie is Salt, but people actually expected more money from that movie because the lead is Angelina Jolie. And her other big film before Salt - Wanted, came out 5 years ago. I'm not counting Kung Fu Panda 2 because I don't think people watched that movie because Angelina Jolie is one of the voice actors.

Malificent is gonna do well next year, but Malificent is more known as a villain of Sleeping Beauty. But this is the first time that Malificent is the lead character in a movie. Its different to Alice in Wonderland/Oz, Alice in Wonderland acts a sequel to Alice in Wonderland animated film but it was marketed as if its the Alice in Wonderland remake. Oz is a prequel to a well-known film.

Bottom-line is DOFP has more star power than those movies. If you think Edge of Tomorrow has Tom Cruise/Emily Blunt and Malificent has Angelina Jolie, well X-Men Days of Future Past has Hugh Jackman/Halle Berry/Ian McKellen/Patrick Stewart/Jennifer Lawrence/Michael Fassbender, etc...
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMM View Post
Yes, in 2005.

Outside of the Mission Impossible franchise, Cruise hasn't been able to land a domestic blockbuster since War of the Worlds, and Jolie's highest grossing film is Mr. and Mrs. Smith--a film that costarred Brad Pitt but still couldn't reach $200 million. Maleficent will most likely be her first film to achieve that designation, though I'm not sure it will come at that great a cost to Days of Future Past, unless the X-Men franchise has a large mother-daughter contingent of which we've all been unaware.
Well, guys, I was joking, but thanks for the essays.

You guys do realize things like Jack Reacher and Rock of Ages weren't supposed to be mega hits. I agree, Oblivion had room for more BO.

Anyways, what do you guys think DOFP's OW will be?

Old 11-04-2013, 06:59 AM   #78
BMM
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMaooz View Post
Well, guys, I was joking, but thanks for the essays.

Quote:
You guys do realize things like Jack Reacher and Rock of Ages weren't supposed to be mega hits. I agree, Oblivion had room for more BO.
Mega hits? No. But, in the case of Rock of Ages and films like Knight and Day, they were probably hoping they would at least cover their budgets. I thought Oblivion would do better, too.

Quote:
Anyways, what do you guys think DOFP's OW will be?
No clue. It's especially hard to say knowing all the other stuff the film is supposed to have in it, that one would think audiences would go for, but having seen none of it in the trailers yet.

Old 11-04-2013, 07:15 AM   #79
Antihero
Side-Kick

The era of star power is over.The last one left is Tom Cruise.He has done pretty decent in Oblivion and Jack Reacher.Mission Impossible was a blockbuster.I don't consider Rock of Ages to be a Tom Cruise movie

Old 11-04-2013, 08:52 AM   #80
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Tom Cruise opened Oblivion very well In States.It wasn't able to sustain from big opening.
That's happened to Hugh jackman.He helped open reel steel decently but it wasn't able to survive after opening.He helped get Van Helsing back In 2004 to a 120 Million Domestic total despite terrable reviews.

Jack Reacher had to deal with all those who didn't like Cruise's casting,shades of Interview with the Vampire,and still managed to hit 100 million before leaving theatres.
Mission Impossible 5 or whatever it is called Is likely to do well when It comes out.Remember how well Ghost Protocal did,and few thought It would do that well.

Hugh alone got the wolverine to gangbusters overseas.In foreign box office it's number 1 of franchise and second highest grossing film worldwide In Series due to foregein box office.Just Imagine now reuning hugh with cast members like Patrick Stewart,Ian Mckellen,Halle Berry,and Anna Paquin +sharing screen with james Mcavoy,Michael fassbender,and Jennifer Lawrence will do.

Old 11-04-2013, 09:44 AM   #81
laytonc32
Side-Kick

I am not worried about Edge of Tomorrow, best case is like a 100-150 million. It won't be no huge film, and could more likely do Oblivion numbers. As for Maleficent, it won't do Oz's numbers, IMO that was a huge film with little competition and still only made 230. I think it can do over 200 million but has less potential than the Pixar movie Good Dinosaur had which could have made over 300 million.

Old 11-04-2013, 10:08 AM   #82
Antihero
Side-Kick

^I think Edge of Tomorrow will surely do better than 150 million.If Jack Reacher can do 215 million,I am sure EOT can do much better

Old 11-04-2013, 10:15 AM   #83
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

I wonder what's taking Sony so long to release teaser for Amazing Spider-Man 2.The word Is now it won't premiere untill December.Remember it opens Before DOFP.

Unfortuntly the highest grossing film of summer 2014 will likely be Transformers 4.

I am confident as far as foreign box office Is concerned DOFP will do at least 300 Million overseas.And could possibly get to the 350-400 Million range If it does really well.
Domesticly Is the question mark for film.It will open big but how big Is question and what total Domesticly.Personally I see 290 Million as floor domesticly and between 215 and 250
Domestic gross wouldn't surprise me if it does well.Although maybe domestic GA will pleasently surprise me for once.

Old 11-04-2013, 10:23 AM   #84
MrMaooz
Positively Shocking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laytonc32 View Post
I am not worried about Edge of Tomorrow, best case is like a 100-150 million. It won't be no huge film, and could more likely do Oblivion numbers. As for Maleficent, it won't do Oz's numbers, IMO that was a huge film with little competition and still only made 230. I think it can do over 200 million but has less potential than the Pixar movie Good Dinosaur had which could have made over 300 million.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antihero View Post
^I think Edge of Tomorrow will surely do better than 150 million.If Jack Reacher can do 215 million,I am sure EOT can do much better
Maleficent will do just fine. Antihero, he's talking domestically. Edge of Tomorrow has potential to be a huge hit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post
I wonder what's taking Sony so long to release teaser for Amazing Spider-Man 2.The word Is now it won't premiere untill December.Remember it opens Before DOFP.

Unfortuntly the highest grossing film of summer 2014 will likely be Transformers 4.

I am confident as far as foreign box office Is concerned DOFP will do at least 300 Million overseas.And could possibly get to the 350-400 Million range If it does really well.
Domesticly Is the question mark for film.It will open big but how big Is question and what total Domesticly.Personally I see 290 Million as floor domesticly and between 215 and 250
Domestic gross wouldn't surprise me if it does well.Although maybe domestic GA will pleasently surprise me for once.
TASM2 will have a teaser in December. I see DOFP doing 600 million WW right now.

As for TF4, it probably will be on top. I love those movies!

Old 11-04-2013, 10:58 AM   #85
Antihero
Side-Kick

Quote:

Don't really get the hate for Transformers.It was supposed to be a fun masala movie and it was able to achieve it

Quote:
Antihero, he's talking domestically. Edge of Tomorrow has potential to be a huge hit.
!
Ok.I thought he was talking about WW gross

Old 11-04-2013, 11:36 AM   #86
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

If your someone like me who grew up with what they now call"Generation One" Transformers the Bay Films are major disappointments.I prefer The 1986 Animated film
over the Bay films.

Old 11-04-2013, 02:34 PM   #87
GenUsername
Side-Kick

Quote:
If your someone like me who grew up with what they now call"Generation One" Transformers the Bay Films are major disappointments.I prefer The 1986 Animated film
over the Bay films.
I've never really understood the hate for Transformers. It was a toy commercial in the 90's, and it's a toy commercial now. The fans always complain about them, I just don't know now what sort of "great" "meaningful" story you can tell about robots fighting each other. Same goes for pokemon.

Old 11-04-2013, 02:46 PM   #88
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

The transformers films focus too much on huamn characters.And I don't like the human characters.People go to see films for transformers.Not human characters.

Old 11-04-2013, 03:54 PM   #89
KDM1986
Midnight Sons Founder

Definitely gonna be a jammed pack year. Lots of good movies coming out that I'm looking forward too.

Old 11-04-2013, 08:40 PM   #90
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

In the U.S. the only films in Summer 2014 that I can see outgrossing X-Men are Trans4mers, Amazing Spider-Man 2 and How 2 Train a Dragon. I think its safe to say DOFp will gross more than 200 million and it will probably hit the $250 mark. I don't think Fast 7 would outgross DOFP in the U.S., Fast 6 earned 238 million in the U.S. I don't think Fast 7 would get bigger money than Fast 6 in U.S.

And this year 7 films earned more than 200 million dollars in the United States. In 2014, I think DOFP, Spidey, Transformers, How to Train, Fast 7 and maybe Malificent/Planet of the Apes will be the ones to cross the $200m mark in the U.S. Then the rest grossing lower than 200 million.

"Superheroes in New York? Give me a break!" - A1
"'Nuff said" - SM3
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
Old 11-04-2013, 08:58 PM   #91
MrMaooz
Positively Shocking.

Are you serious? Fast 7 is most definitely outgrossing DOFP domestically and Worldwide.

Last edited by MrMaooz; 11-04-2013 at 09:01 PM.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:04 PM   #92
josh8
Side-Kick

Quote:
Are you serious? Fast 7 is most definitely outgrossing DOFP domestically and Worldwide.
I wouldn't say that's a given. A possibility yes but not guaranteed. FF6 didn't reach the adjusted X3 numbers so they're on a relatively even playing field. It'll all depend on next year's buildup, reviews, etc.

Old 11-04-2013, 09:09 PM   #93
def28
Side-Kick

Your talking strictly domestic right? WW Fast 7 is gonna destroy. Fast 6 made almost 800m.

I think theres a chance DOFP can hit that too. But alots gonna depend on the marketing and competition from films near its release. If Godzilla and Malificent look great, the month within their release is just gonna be too crowded for getting those real high numbers.

Having Spidey, Godzilla, X-Men and Malifcent within a month of eachother is gonna cause some sort of loss for at least one of those films.

Last edited by def28; 11-04-2013 at 09:25 PM.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:29 PM   #94
GenUsername
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by def28 View Post
Your talking strictly domestic right? WW Fast 7 is gonna destroy. Fast 6 made almost 800m.

I think theres a chance DOFP can hit that too. But alots gonna depend on the marketing and competition from films near its release. If Godzilla and Malificent look great, the month within their release is just gonna be too crowded for getting those real high numbers.

Having Spidey, Godzilla, X-Men and Malifcent within a month of eachother is gonna cause some sort of loss for at least one of those films.
It depends a lot on quality. Man of Steel had everything it needed to gross more but poor word of mouth, reviews, and WWZ getting decent reviews pretty much killed it. If DOFP can match the quality of FC I'm sure they'll be fine. Sure it'll eat into its gross, it'll just be less severe.

Old 11-04-2013, 09:32 PM   #95
Fervid09
Side-Kick

X-men remains to be a popular franchise, in and outside the U.S. I think it will do really well initially because of the hype and the fact that it looks promising, and then depending on word of mouth if it's brilliant and makes the fanboys happy, and let's face it, the new fangirls generated by XM:FC because of the Charles/Erik chemistry and who would most likely see this movie more than once if just for that, it will do even better.

Old 11-04-2013, 09:33 PM   #96
Antihero
Side-Kick

Quote:
I think Fast 7 will make around 750+.DOFP will get better reviews but I don't see it getting more than 650 million.

Quote:
I think Spidey is immune to damage.ASM was a **** movie and sucked compared to SM1.But it still got to 750 million.

DOFP has a lot of hype.It is going to do 600million easily.If the film gets good word of mouth,it should do even better.All my friends are talking about how great the trailer of DOFP looks.

I think either Godzilla or Malifcent will perform below expectations.My guess is on Malifcent.Godzilla will do better in overseas markets.

Old 11-04-2013, 09:34 PM   #97
Antihero
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fervid09 View Post
X-men remains to be a popular franchise, in and outside the U.S. I think it will do really well initially because of the hype and the fact that it looks promising, and then depending on word of mouth if it's brilliant and makes the fanboys happy, and let's face it, the new fangirls generated by XM:FC because of the Charles/Erik chemistry and who would most likely see this movie more than once, it will do even better.
DOFP is going to do well in US.It has lot of hype and people are excited to see it.That alone will take it to around 200-250 million.If it has good word of mouth publicity,I can see DOFP grossing 300-350 million in US alone

Old 11-04-2013, 09:41 PM   #98
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenUsername View Post
It depends a lot on quality. Man of Steel had everything it needed to gross more but poor word of mouth, reviews, and WWZ getting decent reviews pretty much killed it. If DOFP can match the quality of FC I'm sure they'll be fine. Sure it'll eat into its gross, it'll just be less severe.
But Man Of Steel grossed more then WWZ, and that flick did good cause audiences wanted to see it.67% RT for Z was not fully responsible for its success. Plenty of films this year ranked higher then that one.

Alot of these Big budget flicks are gonna be critic proof for their opening weekend as long as they are advertised well. The constant release of big budget flicks with all universal audiences is whats gonna hurt. None of them have time to themselves. Spidey is probably gonna benefit the most for having 2 weeks.

Last edited by def28; 11-04-2013 at 09:47 PM.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:58 PM   #99
GenUsername
Side-Kick

Quote:
But Man Of Steel grossed more then WWZ, and that flick did good cause audiences wanted to see it.67% RT for Z was not fully responsible for its success. Plenty of films this year ranked higher then that one.

Alot of these Big budget flicks are gonna be critic proof for their opening weekend as long as they are advertised well. The constant release of big budget flicks with all universal audiences is whats gonna hurt. None of them have time to themselves. Spidey is probably gonna benefit the most for having 2 weeks.
It wasn't the MoS grossed more than WWZ, it's that in the position that MoS had it had all the opportunity to gross more. It took a big bit out of Supermans cake. I'm personally putting that down to the films quality, because before MoS can out no one would have thought WWZ would have the opportunity to do what it did

Old 11-04-2013, 10:03 PM   #100
def28
Side-Kick

I saw it more that there were 2 films that audiences wanted to see and that's what happens when they open one after the other. They were both a success and its not like WWZ got insanely stellar reviews over MOS. If Man Of Steel wasn't so close WWZ probably would have got a bigger box office as well.

I think all those films can be a success, but I dont think they can get to those super high high numbers when the competitions that fierce. Or at least it's gonna be very difficult to do so...

Last edited by def28; 11-04-2013 at 10:10 PM.
Closed Thread