The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Closed Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 11:20 PM   #101
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Default Re: DOFP vs other 2014 ComicsMovies Thread [Buzz, BoxOffice and more] - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMaooz View Post
Are you serious? Fast 7 is most definitely outgrossing DOFP domestically and Worldwide.
Umm despite Fast 6 earning more than 100 million dollars in 4 days, it definitely didn't have very strong legs at the box-office. It performed like X3, the only differences are, Fast 6 earned 4 more million and the ticket price this year is different to the ticket price in 2006.
Quote:
Originally Posted by def28 View Post
Having Spidey, Godzilla, X-Men and Malifcent within a month of eachother is gonna cause some sort of loss for at least one of those films.
In terms of word of mouth, public awareness and buzz, DOFP is already ahead of these films. So I'm quite confident that DOFP could at least outgross Godzilla and Malificent.

"Kill me before I kill someone else" - X3
"Where else would I be?" - X4
www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
Old 11-04-2013, 11:30 PM   #102
def28
Side-Kick

Default Re: DOFP vs other 2014 ComicsMovies Thread [Buzz, BoxOffice and more] - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
So I'm quite confident that DOFP could at least outgross Godzilla and Malificent.
Sure, and I think it will/can as well. But I also have little doubt that those films are large enough to cause a dent in DOFP's audience. Until I see trailers for those films, I really have no concept of how much. But these are big films for other studios and they will do their best to make sure they are solid competition.

Old 11-05-2013, 01:57 AM   #103
josh8
Side-Kick

DOFP's final WW gross is just too hard to estimate. There hasn't been a full-fledged, flagship team X-Men film since 2006... and the landscape of international grosses has changed so drastically. American films that are big and splashy pretty much always do big business overseas, even when they flat out bomb in the US.

In 2006, 49% of X3's WW gross came from the international market. Compare that to 2013 when The Wolverine made 68% (and counting) of it's WW gross from outside the US.

Domestially, if DOFP were to make exactly what X3 made (adjusted for inflation), following The Wolverine as a model it's WW gross would interpolate to about $850M. This is what DOFP would make if it did not gain or lose any fans in the US since X3 BUT with the addition of this growing international market.

IMO it will definitely have gained fans. It will have lost some since X3, but I think with good reviews most will come back. Add in what is sure to be an insane amount or marketing, ROBOTS, 3D, Jennifer Lawrence coming off of Catching Fire and an Oscar, the reunited cast... all this makes me believe that we will be seeing big business come May.

EDIT: Whoops, made a mistake with the math, but my new figure is kind of blowing my mind...

Last edited by josh8; 11-05-2013 at 02:20 AM.
Old 11-05-2013, 02:09 AM   #104
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

The Wolverine's final WW gross will probably end with $430 million dollars and the scope of the film of that film is not really big at all. With DOFP, we are getting bigger scope, robots, more well known characters and actors, a better release date, an earlier marketing campaign, a huge buzz and this is one of my highly anticipated movies of 2014. If The Wolverine could get 430 million dollars despite being the lowest grossing X-Men film in the U.S. and late marketing, I don't think it would be such a task for DOFP to get 270 million dollars more.

Old 11-05-2013, 02:21 AM   #105
Antihero
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh8 View Post
DOFP's final WW gross is just too hard to estimate. There hasn't been a full-fledged, flagship team X-Men film since 2006... and the landscape of international grosses has changed so drastically.

American films that are big and splashy pretty much always do big business overseas, even when they flat out bomb in the US.
I agree.So much has changed.

Old 11-05-2013, 02:33 AM   #106
Antihero
Side-Kick

The ever expanding international market makes it impossible to guess DOFP's WW gross.A movie like MIB 3 could have never grossed 650 million if it released ten years back

Old 11-05-2013, 02:50 AM   #107
A Dollar Short
Side-Kick

DOFP is the perfect storm, it has so much going for it and more that I could see it's worldwide total doubling that of previous films which grossed around the $400 million mark.

By the time DOFP comes out, Spider-Man will have already been out three weeks and Transformers will be over a month away. The only film I think has a chance at eating into its box-office is Maleficent. While I hated Alice in Wonderland and OZ, Disney was great at putting together awesome trailers for these films and I'm sure they'll do the same for Maleficent.

Old 11-05-2013, 04:48 AM   #108
josh8
Side-Kick

Maleficent is hard to gauge. Angelina Jolie is a bankable star, but this is also a more female driven movie so it'll need to find crossover appeal to be successful... similar to how Snow White and the Huntsman had to make sure that Huntsman was right there in the title so you knew it wasn't just a heroine/witch movie. (No offense to female driven movies, it's just the way Hollywood works.)

Godzilla will be the main competition, but year after year the movie-going audience continues to grow and grow. Just this Memorial Day (which will be the holiday weekend DOFP opens next year), FF6 opened on a record breaking weekend in terms of total box office for all the movies in the top 10 or something (can't remember the actual record haha). New movies make bank even when holdovers are still doing good business. There's just no ceiling anymore.

Old 11-05-2013, 06:52 AM   #109
def28
Side-Kick

Main reason for the opening of Fast 6 is Fast 5. It built that audience return within 3 films with Fast 5 being an exceptional crowd pleaser. Same reason Spidey 3 did so well and X-Men 3. They had really well received previous films. I dont know how high this mixture of previous X films will play into it since their films are kinda all over the place, but I think at the least $600-700ww for DOFP is gonna happen for sure. Opening week is gonna be killer.

Dont know how much this movie is gonna grab the non X-Men summer movie crowd either, but if it's a good flick and re establishes the whole franchise, the following X-Men film would be a friggen beast.

Last edited by def28; 11-05-2013 at 08:12 AM.
Old 11-05-2013, 04:08 PM   #110
Electrix
Side-Kick

Quote:
Not long after Spidey swings back into theaters will come director Bryan Singer's X-Men: Days of Future Past (May 23). Its first trailer was responsible for almost 80,000 tweets, or about 147 percent more chatter than The Wolverine's teaser inspired earlier this year. Days of Future Past posted an even more impressive showing on Facebook with the addition of 100,798 fans--twice as many as The Winter Soldier, and exceeding the number of new "likes" which followed Thor: The Dark World's and Iron Man 3's first trailers. Flixster is another bright spot for the X-Men mega-sequel where the pic similarly boasts a 100 percent anticipation score from just over 64,000 users--virtually in line with The Winter Soldier.

Although it stands apart from the Disney/Marvel continuity, Fox's and Singer's moves to bring together both casts from the original X-Men blockbusters and 2011's well-received First Class prequel is so far proving to be a master stroke. Online buzz hasn't been this strong for the franchise in a decade, and the promise of a massive ensemble cast of stars surely has the studio hoping to cash in on The Avengers' recent success. The time travelling nature of the film's plot (and how it relates--or doesn't relate--to past X-Men sequels will be tricky to execute for the uninitiated masses, but so far, the team behind Days of Future Past is hitting the right notes by bringing together the franchise's most successful elements.

http://www.boxoffice.com/latest-news...of-future-past

Old 11-05-2013, 09:29 PM   #111
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

$UCCE$$!

Quote:
Originally Posted by def28 View Post
Dont know how much this movie is gonna grab the non X-Men summer movie crowd either, but if it's a good flick and re establishes the whole franchise, the following X-Men film would be a friggen beast.
And thats why its important that the follow-up for DOFP will feature the OT cast or at least Wolverine/Hugh Jackman.

Old 11-05-2013, 09:31 PM   #112
def28
Side-Kick

Most the film takes place in First Class so it will boost both. The audience will be just as familiar with Fassbender, Mcavoy and crew post DOFP. Those two and Jackman are the leads here.

Last edited by def28; 11-05-2013 at 09:35 PM.
Old 11-05-2013, 10:20 PM   #113
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

And as if we need another prequel or a movie set in the past decade. In my opinion, they shouldn't do 2 separate movies (that are set in different decades) just because both cast are featuring talented actors. 1 has to go and it should be the First Class cast. I'm not even gonna explain this because I already talked about this before but continuing with 1 cast and continuing in the present world will make it more easier for the mainstream audience and it will avoid audience fatigue.

Old 11-07-2013, 01:39 AM   #114
Antihero
Side-Kick

I hope X-Men joins Superman/Batman/IronMan as CBMs that gross more than 600 million

Old 11-08-2013, 07:06 AM   #115
Angamb
Banned User

Friday 8 Youtube update:

Captain Amercia: Winter soldier: 21.008.361 views (uploaded on 10/24)
X-Men: Days of future past: 18.915.731 views (uploaded on 10/29)

Last edited by Angamb; 11-08-2013 at 07:11 AM.
Old 11-08-2013, 07:09 AM   #116
Antihero
Side-Kick

Can't believe that a ****** superhero like Captain America has higher views than X-Men.

Old 11-08-2013, 07:12 AM   #117
Angamb
Banned User

it was premiered 5 days before.

lets wait for next week numbers to see if XMen numbers go up to 21 million or not

Old 11-08-2013, 07:28 AM   #118
Antihero
Side-Kick

^My problem is with Captain America getting almost equal views as X-Men.Captain America has never been that popular and certainly not on the level of X-Men.The first Captain America movie wasn't that good too and this either shows Avengers has given it a mega boost or X-Men isn't popular with the general audience.

Old 11-08-2013, 07:38 AM   #119
Lord
All Mighty

Captain America was definitelly more known than Iron Man and Thor before their movies, before i started reading comics i knew about him and Red Skull, but it's now this popular due to the Avengers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antihero View Post
Can't believe that a ****** superhero like Captain America has higher views than X-Men.
Respect other preferences please, some fans could give you ton of reasons for why they think Captain America is superior to X-Men and the opposite could be done too, if you don't enjoy Cap as much it's alright, but don't try to insult the character just due to your personal preferences.

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
~*SHH SIX*~
Old 11-08-2013, 07:54 AM   #120
Angamb
Banned User

yeah, lets pay respect to all heroes and movies.

I liked Captain trailer and it feels bigger and more interesting than the first, with Robert Redford character and plot included. It expands Black Widow role in the franchise too, a new villain for Cap, Sharon Carter, Falcon as a new flying heroe (something I always love in these movies), and more

Im really interested in that whole little world of Shield and Cap/BW/Falcon against them or against the goverment.

Its something not seen yet in the Avengers franchise, and it feels more grounded than Avengers and Thor, so this is a plus to me

Last edited by Angamb; 11-08-2013 at 08:10 AM.
Old 11-08-2013, 08:22 AM   #121
kasjan
Side-Kick

Captain America was better known than any of X-Men members before all those movies.
But I'm sure X-Men will have more views, it's team movie, we can't compare it to solo Cap movie.

Old 11-08-2013, 08:23 AM   #122
Antihero
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
Captain America was definitelly more known than Iron Man and Thor before their movies, before i started reading comics i knew about him and Red Skull, but it's now this popular due to the Avengers.

Respect other preferences please, some fans could give you ton of reasons for why they think Captain America is superior to X-Men and the opposite could be done too, if you don't enjoy Cap as much it's alright, but don't try to insult the character just due to your personal preferences.
Ok.Shouldn't have insulted Caps.

My point is something hugely popular as X-Men didn't make huge money.But less popular superheroes like Thor/IM are minting more money.There must be something wrong with either Fox or X-Men.I don't understand it.

Old 11-08-2013, 08:25 AM   #123
Antihero
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasjan View Post
Captain America was better known than any of X-Men members before all those movies..
I am sure Wolverine was more famous than any superhero barring Superman/Batman/Spidey around 2000.

Old 11-08-2013, 08:30 AM   #124
Angamb
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antihero View Post
Ok.Shouldn't have insulted Caps.

My point is something hugely popular as X-Men didn't make huge money.But less popular superheroes like Thor/IM are minting more money.There must be something wrong with either Fox or X-Men.I don't understand it.
Big question. And something Ive wondered all these years.

I have my theory, but Im sure most users wont agree, so I wont start the polemic on here.

Old 11-08-2013, 08:37 AM   #125
Antihero
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angamb View Post
Big question. And something Ive wondered all these years.

I have my theory, but Im sure most users wont agree, so I wont start the polemic on here.
I would love to hear.

Closed Thread