Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 04:49 PM   #251
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Default Re: Fan Review Thread SPOILERS INSIDE - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscorp View Post
When the comedy takes away from the sense of tension and even sacrifices much needed screen time from the villain and characters such as Sif, then yes, calling it a "comedy" in a way to describe it makes perfect sense.

Just common sense (see I can do that too).
Ah resorting to juvenile antics such as mimic, that's the end of this conversation.

Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
Old 11-05-2013, 05:02 PM   #252
warriorking
Side-Kick

Thursday at 8pm for me at my local Theatre, will post my review when I get back...

Old 11-05-2013, 05:05 PM   #253
Rhomee
Newbie First Class

I won't be able to see the film until next week. But from what I've read so far, it will be well worth the wait.

I'll do a review after as well, even though there will likely be dozens more by then.

Old 11-05-2013, 05:08 PM   #254
TeeKay
Side-Kick

eh wassup guys, I've just come back from the Batman and Superman forum

Old 11-05-2013, 05:11 PM   #255
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeKay View Post
eh wassup guys, I've just come back from the Batman and Superman forum

If it's of any consolation, it's normally not that bad...caught us on one of our weird days.lol

Though I would caution some people here not to visit a few pages there since there are a few Thor spoilers there.

Old 11-05-2013, 05:13 PM   #256
TeeKay
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
If it's of any consolation, it's normally not that bad...caught us on one of our weird days.lol

Though I would caution some people here not to visit a few pages there since there are a few Thor spoilers there.
I assume you saw what went down there. I pretty much threw in the towel lol xD It was a good rant over there though.

Old 11-05-2013, 05:15 PM   #257
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
I assume you saw what went down there. I pretty much threw in the towel lol xD It was a good rant over there though.
Let's just say that when it comes to the Superman forums, I'm pretty much a version of Heimdell there...though not nearly as badass as he is.lol

So while you and others were screaming your lungs out at each other..like Thor did in the first film, I was just quietly observing everything.haha

Old 11-05-2013, 05:18 PM   #258
TeeKay
Side-Kick

Quote:
Let's just say that when it comes to the Superman forums, I'm pretty much a version of Heimdell there...though not nearly as badass as he is.lol

So while you and others were screaming your lungs out at each other..like Thor did in the first film, I was just quietly observing everything.haha
I'm sorry you got caught in the crossfire.

Old 11-05-2013, 05:49 PM   #259
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Yeah I'm good on the Superman/Baton forums, the air of superiority over there is hard to take in.

Spider-Man - Hear what?
Old 11-05-2013, 05:56 PM   #260
Smashlilman
Ouch!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThor View Post
Yeah I'm good on the Superman/Baton forums, the air of superiority over there is hard to take in.
I liked the Superman Forums until the Bat neighbors moved in. Superman fans have an inferiority complex and Batman fans have a Superiority complex in relation to each other.

Loki: i have an army
Tony Stark: we have a hulk!
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Last edited by Smashlilman; 11-05-2013 at 05:59 PM.
Old 11-05-2013, 05:56 PM   #261
TeeKay
Side-Kick

Quote:
Depends really. Bats and Supes fans have been at each for a long time same way Thor and Hulk fans have.

Last edited by TeeKay; 11-05-2013 at 06:44 PM.
Old 11-05-2013, 06:07 PM   #262
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
I'm sorry you got caught in the crossfire.
lol; no need to apologize.

Honestly, I'm a fan of both Superman and Thor....and it's convenient for me that they both wear red capes.haha

I just say, let's just sit back and enjoy with what we have?

Are either Superman's or Thor's films really perfect? No. But I don't think they're terrible either. I enjoy them for what they are and in some ways, I view them as the Yin and Yang to each other.

I don't see why some have to hate on one just to enjoy on another.

Old 11-05-2013, 07:15 PM   #263
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Quote:
Based on how Thor: TDW is now the second film within Phase 2 that has gotten a good amount of people to question and even criticize the amount of comedic elements within the film, I think it's safe to say that Winter Soldier might follow in its footsteps as well, especially considering that the directors are known for their comedic projects.

I am hoping that Marvel learns to find a better balance in portraying their drama and comedy because I do feel that it's best to have a good amount of both, but not so much where one side is placed so much where people say that they could have used less of it.

I think the first "Iron Man" is the best example of having the right amount of comedy and drama to it.
Couldnt agree more with this, Iron Man had the perfect balance between humour, drama and emotion, for some reason since TA they have gone more towards the comedy than the others and for me its hurting the movies themselves. I also think it hurts their re-watchability, as emotional and dramatic scenes are the ones that keep you coming back to watch movies IMO.

1)X-Men: Days Of Future Past-10(2)Captain America: The Winter Soldier-9(3)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(4)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(5)The Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(6)Godzilla-8(7)Neighbours-8(8)The Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(9)The Lego Movie-7.5(10)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(11)Robocop-7.5(12)300:Rise Of An Empire-7(13)A Million Ways To Die In The West-7(14)47 Ronin-6(15)The Monuments Men-5(16)Ride Along-5(17)I, Frankenstein-3
Old 11-05-2013, 07:26 PM   #264
CosmicPinchy
Rock Lobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON View Post
Couldnt agree more with this, Iron Man had the perfect balance between humour, drama and emotion, for some reason since TA they have gone more towards the comedy than the others and for me its hurting the movies themselves. I also think it hurts their re-watchability, as emotional and dramatic scenes are the ones that keep you coming back to watch movies IMO.

TA was a billion dollar movie. It broke records. Marvel found a formula that works and that puts people in the seats.

I couldn't disagree more with the bolded statement. Comedies can become classics (Anchorman, Office Space, Dumb and Dumber, etc) and anyone can watch those movies again and again and again. Emotional and dramatic scenes do not necessarily keep you coming back to watch them, at all. I think you're way off base with that assessment.

Old 11-05-2013, 07:37 PM   #265
Rhomee
Newbie First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicPinchy View Post
TA was a billion dollar movie. It broke records. Marvel found a formula that works and that puts people in the seats.

I couldn't disagree more with the bolded statement. Comedies can become classics (Anchorman, Office Space, Dumb and Dumber, etc) and anyone can watch those movies again and again and again. Emotional and dramatic scenes do not necessarily keep you coming back to watch them, at all. I think you're way off base with that assessment.
It all comes down to personal preference, doesn't it? Some people just prefer comedy over other genres, and others prefer drama. For me, it's a bit of both and often relies on my mood/whims at the time of watching. I know there are some favorite movies of mine that I go back and see again just for the comedy (such as Pineapple Express, Dumb and Dumber like you mentioned, and others) which never fail to make me laugh. But other movies, like Thor, I watch over and over to see the emotion. Likewise with The Avengers, I go back to see the conflict and high tensions rather than the few humorous bits which- while amusing- didn't matter as much to me as the dramatic scenes.

Old 11-05-2013, 08:37 PM   #266
MahvelBaby!
Side-Kick

All I know is this ta>>>>>>>>im imo

Old 11-05-2013, 09:41 PM   #267
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashlilman View Post
I liked the Superman Forums until the Bat neighbors moved in. Superman fans have an inferiority complex and Batman fans have a Superiority complex in relation to each other.
Yeah I frequented the Superman boards quite often leading up to MOS, but now ehhh not so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicPinchy View Post

This

For some reason "comedy" has become a dirty word in cbm films.

Spider-Man - Hear what?

Last edited by BigThor; 11-05-2013 at 09:48 PM.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:47 PM   #268
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Double post

Spider-Man - Hear what?
Old 11-05-2013, 09:59 PM   #269
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Based on what I've heard from my friend who's seen the film more than once, I kind of feel like they missed the boat with a good potential arc for Thor in this film regarding how...

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
they could have gone into the whole issue on how Asgard's prominence and its wonders were potentially built on unethical acts that both Bor and even Odin may have committed in order to secure their power over the 9 realms.

It would have presented a good dilemma for Thor regarding his eventual decision to turn down the throne, fearing that he would become like his predecessors, especially after he made such a big deal that an entire race shouldn't be wiped out...which is what Bor did to the Dark Elves essentially.

Plus, it would have been great to see on how Thor's presence has really changed the MCU world in terms of how the public now reacts to his very existence..for good and for ill.

Old 11-05-2013, 10:12 PM   #270
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

That would've been necessarily tainting the way Asgardians were presented in the first film. Why do all good guys have to have trouble past, why can't some good guys be straight up good guys like Captain America. I'm fine with Asgard being a beacon of light for the nine realms, I don't want them to be ruthless murders who's only goal is to conquer every race.

I know you're just trying to add more depth and drama, but sometimes things can just be simple yet effective.

Spider-Man - Hear what?
Old 11-05-2013, 10:22 PM   #271
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
Then it's usually pretty obvious which parts are digital and which are real, if you get a fake look out of it.

I haven't seen Gravity yet but I'm very interested in it, although also a tad worried about that I heard it doesn't handle physics well.
Gravity handles physics better, vastly better, than pretty much any space movies that has ever been made, so obviously internet geeks, most of whom didn't take mechanics 101 and have no idea what they're talking about, are complaining it doesn't handle physics well.

Anyway, my main problem with the Thor voice is that aside from being obviously fake and annoying, it was less intelligible. Bale's Batman voice was fake and annoying (to some) as well, but it was intelligible, and it was justified by the world the character lived in, he needed to sound different and intimidating. Hemsworth's different voice is entirely because it "sounds cool" to certain demographics. He should be speaking normally.

Last edited by DA_Champion; 11-05-2013 at 10:25 PM.
Old 11-05-2013, 10:25 PM   #272
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
That would've been necessarily tainting the way Asgardians were presented in the first film. Why do all good guys have to have trouble past, why can't some good guys be straight up good guys like Captain America. I'm fine with Asgard being a beacon of light for the nine realms, I don't want them to be ruthless murders who's only goal is to conquer every race.

I know you're just trying to add more depth and drama, but sometimes things can just be simple yet effective.
Well the thing is though, isn't Odin somewhat of a tainted king within the comics? I mean, I may not be the biggest Thor expert, but I've heard on how the MCU version of Odin is more clean cut than the comics version.

And regarding Bor, well until this film, we never heard much about him so it's safe to assume that they could have made him into somewhat of a controversial figure for Asgard, something that maybe even Odin wasn't aware of .

Old 11-05-2013, 10:57 PM   #273
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Quote:
Well the thing is though, isn't Odin somewhat of a tainted king within the comics? I mean, I may not be the biggest Thor expert, but I've heard on how the MCU version of Odin is more clean cut than the comics version.

And regarding Bor, well until this film, we never heard much about him so it's safe to assume that they could have made him into somewhat of a controversial figure for Asgard, something that maybe even Odin wasn't aware of .
well in the comics, Thor killed him with the Odinforce

Old 11-05-2013, 10:59 PM   #274
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:

That's the thing though, this isn't the comics in this universe Asgard are the protectors of all the nine realms. They're a beacon of hope and that aspect is meant to be very inspiring. I'm sure MS didn't want that ti be ruined just to have drama for the sake of drama, that would be totally necessary.

Spider-Man - Hear what?
Old 11-05-2013, 11:21 PM   #275
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
That's the thing though, this isn't the comics in this universe Asgard are the protectors of all the nine realms. They're a beacon of hope and that aspect is meant to be very inspiring. I'm sure MS didn't want that ti be ruined just to have drama for the sake of drama, that would be totally necessary.
True, but that doesn't change the fact that Bor did technically wipe out the Dark Elves, sans Malekith and a few remaining survivors, which is pretty extreme... something that I'm sure Thor wouldn't probably have done if he had been in that position.

Closed Thread