Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 11:40 PM   #276
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Default Re: Fan Review Thread SPOILERS INSIDE - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicPinchy View Post
TA was a billion dollar movie. It broke records. Marvel found a formula that works and that puts people in the seats.

I couldn't disagree more with the bolded statement. Comedies can become classics (Anchorman, Office Space, Dumb and Dumber, etc) and anyone can watch those movies again and again and again. Emotional and dramatic scenes do not necessarily keep you coming back to watch them, at all. I think you're way off base with that assessment.
The Avengers had a lot of comedy sure, but NEVER did it undercut the dramatic or emotional scenes in the movie, as has happened with IM3 and not Thor 2, TA got it right, thats why its so re-watchable, I know this isnt the case with IM3 for me, and I suspect it wont be the case with TDW. The comedy just hurts the drama in those movies by coming too soon after dramatic/emotional scenes.

And there are classic comedies, but when I am in the mood for a comedy, these are the movies I will be popping in my BD player, I dont want jokes every 5 mins or 2 mins after an emotional scene when popping in a Marvel movie. Plus, many of those classic comedies have good dramatic and emotional scenes, which is why they are so good and considered classics in their genre. Stuff like D&D, Anchorman, Ted, have tons of heart and character to go with the comedy, THAT is what makes them classics, not just the comedy itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhomee View Post
It all comes down to personal preference, doesn't it? Some people just prefer comedy over other genres, and others prefer drama. For me, it's a bit of both and often relies on my mood/whims at the time of watching. I know there are some favorite movies of mine that I go back and see again just for the comedy (such as Pineapple Express, Dumb and Dumber like you mentioned, and others) which never fail to make me laugh. But other movies, like Thor, I watch over and over to see the emotion. Likewise with The Avengers, I go back to see the conflict and high tensions rather than the few humorous bits which- while amusing- didn't matter as much to me as the dramatic scenes.
Exactly, and in those movies we werent getting comedy moments 5 mins or less after someone died, or something that effect the characters in a big way, like has happened with both IM3 and TDW now. They just didnt let their emotional and dramatic scenes breathe. Its why I have barely watched IM3 since the cinema and why I fear the same will happen with TDW.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(4)Captain America: TWS-9(5)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(6)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(7)WOWS-8.5(8)Godzilla-8(9)Neighbours-8(10)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(11)Lego Movie-7.5(12)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(13)Robocop-7.5(14)Sin City: ADTDF-7(15)300:ROAE-7(16)The Equalizer-7(17)Million Ways To Die In The West-7(18)47 Ronin-6(19)Monuments Men-5(20)Ride Along-5(21)I, Frankenstein-3
Old 11-06-2013, 12:02 AM   #277
Webfoot Hero
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
True, but that doesn't change the fact that Bor did technically wipe out the Dark Elves, sans Malekith and a few remaining survivors, which is pretty extreme... something that I'm sure Thor wouldn't probably have done if he had been in that position.
Odin did almost the exact same with the Jotuns, except he just took away their powerful magic artifact and left them on a desolate, rotting planet so they could no longer harm the different realms.

Old 11-06-2013, 12:05 AM   #278
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webfoot Hero View Post
Odin did almost the exact same with the Jotuns, except he just took away their powerful magic artifact and left them on a desolate, rotting planet so they could no longer harm the different realms.
That's another thing that I was actually curious about.

How does everyone else within the nine realms travel between the other realms, let alone the Jotuns? I mean it seems like the only way to do so would be by means of spaceship or a bi-frost bridge, which Asgard is in sole possession of.

Old 11-06-2013, 12:10 AM   #279
Webfoot Hero
Side-Kick

Quote:
That's another thing that I was actually curious about.

How does everyone else within the nine realms travel between the other realms, let alone the Jotuns? I mean it seems like the only way to do so would be by means of spaceship or a bi-frost bridge, which Asgard is in sole possession of.
That's never really been explained either in the movies or the comics. Seems like spaceships are used by everyone else, while teleportation/magic powers for others.

Old 11-06-2013, 12:28 AM   #280
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
True, but that doesn't change the fact that Bor did technically wipe out the Dark Elves, sans Malekith and a few remaining survivors, which is pretty extreme... something that I'm sure Thor wouldn't probably have done if he had been in that position.
He didn't randomly wipe them out, they were in an all out war after all and they were trying to plunge the universe into darkness. Now Bor ruthlessly slaughtering Malekith's virtually defenseless wife and children would be a FAR different story.

Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
Old 11-06-2013, 12:49 AM   #281
TheJediBrah
Side-Kick

Quote:
Except that that's not a "fact" at all.
Malekith sacrificed his own men to slaughter the Asgardian soldiers so that he could sneak away.

Old 11-06-2013, 03:59 AM   #282
Oscorp
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThor View Post
Ah resorting to juvenile antics such as mimic, that's the end of this conversation.
Haha you gave up even more easily than I expected

"it's ****ing terrible. it's twilight ********."
-Levitikuz' friend, as told to Levitikuz' friend's date, about TASM.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:08 AM   #283
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscorp View Post
You mean his opinion is more valid than any negative ones? It's not blown out of proportion, it's a matter of opinion. You might find the humour to be perfectly fine, someone else doesn't. Once again I see this bias in here.
There's opinion bias from the other side as well, for example with people saying that the movie deserves to land at a certain RT score. That indicates that someone thinks his opinion is worth enough that it shouldn't just be valid for himself, it should also be reflected by others. This is regardless of the confusion about what RT actually is, as I brought up in the other thread. I also didn't specifically intend to quote you twice on this issue, in the other thread it became your quote only because of that you were the last one to state it.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:13 AM   #284
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJediBrah View Post
Except that that's not a "fact" at all.
Malekith sacrificed his own men to slaughter the Asgardian soldiers so that he could sneak away.
After most of his men died anyway when they were slaughtered by the Aesir. The opening battle was extremely brutal, in a kid friendly way. Sure, Bor was defending the universe, but he was undenialy extreme in his ways to do so.
As was Odin with the Jotuns. Some sort of intergalactic/pandimensional Marshal plan to help rebuilding the realms and backing of an Aseir friendly leadership in those realms would have helped a lot. Instead, Svartalfheim and Jotunheim were completely destoyed and in ruins, the majority of its inhabitants killed without any sources of power and their leaders were still in charge. Probably not the wisest decisions Bor and Odin could have made

RANDOM BLOCKBUSTER SEQUEL: RETURN OF THE RISING DARKNESS
------------------------------

ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic

Old 11-06-2013, 08:28 AM   #285
kaijunexus
===---- ゴジラ 2014 ----===

To those that have seen the film...what happens to Malekith, Kurse, and the other dark elves at the end of the film? Are they all killed?

ゴジラ
Old 11-06-2013, 08:41 AM   #286
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
Haha you gave up even more easily than I expected
Yeah I'm not feeding into that anymore.

Spider-Man - Hear what?
Old 11-06-2013, 08:46 AM   #287
Oscorp
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThor View Post
Yeah I'm not feeding into that anymore.
Because I made a point of how easy it is to just say "It's common sense, uh!" to back up a statement. You can say basically anything and then go "It's common sense!", it doesn't validate anything.

"it's ****ing terrible. it's twilight ********."
-Levitikuz' friend, as told to Levitikuz' friend's date, about TASM.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:29 AM   #288
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaijunexus View Post
To those that have seen the film...what happens to Malekith, Kurse, and the other dark elves at the end of the film? Are they all killed?
yes

ZWERG/ELF

Old 11-06-2013, 09:45 AM   #289
kaijunexus
===---- ゴジラ 2014 ----===

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Hythlodeus View Post
yes
Thanks for your response.

Can I also ask...are they killed outright (obvious on-screen deaths that there's no coming back from), or kind of like Red Skull-style "deaths" where there's a chance of them coming back?

And also...if they are all killed, does that mean the Dark Elf race as a whole is now essentially extinct?

ゴジラ
Old 11-06-2013, 09:50 AM   #290
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

Quote:
Thanks for your response.

Can I also ask...are they killed outright (obvious on-screen deaths that there's no coming back from), or kind of like Red Skull-style "deaths" where there's a chance of them coming back?

And also...if they are all killed, does that mean the Dark Elf race as a whole is now essentially extinct?
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
There might be a few foot soldiers left here and there, but Malekith and Kurse both died pretty final on-screen deaths. especially Kurse.

ZWERG/ELF

Old 11-06-2013, 10:06 AM   #291
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
Because I made a point of how easy it is to just say "It's common sense, uh!" to back up a statement. You can say basically anything and then go "It's common sense!", it doesn't validate anything.
I see

Spider-Man - Hear what?
Old 11-06-2013, 10:24 AM   #292
BoredGuy
Killing Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON View Post
Exactly, and in those movies we werent getting comedy moments 5 mins or less after someone died, or something that effect the characters in a big way, like has happened with both IM3 and TDW now. They just didnt let their emotional and dramatic scenes breathe. Its why I have barely watched IM3 since the cinema and why I fear the same will happen with TDW.
I really think you should go watch IM3 again
I was the same way when I came out of the theater, thinkin it was just too jokey
But on my 2nd viewing, I found it was wayy less than I thought, and they certainly didn't have Tony joking in serious situations.
After Pepper died, he was pissed, not making jokes. He may have been still a bit snarky because that's just his personality, but it's not as bad as you most likely remember

Old 11-06-2013, 10:49 AM   #293
TeeKay
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredGuy View Post
I was the same way when I came out of the theater, thinkin it was just too jokey
But on my 2nd viewing, I found it was wayy less than I thought, and they certainly didn't have Tony joking in serious situations.
After Pepper died, he was pissed, not making jokes. He may have been still a bit snarky because that's just his personality, but it's not as bad as you most likely remember
I'm still waiting for someone to tell me the jokes that Tony was cracking after Pepper 'died'.

Old 11-06-2013, 10:59 AM   #294
MahvelBaby!
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredGuy View Post
*Insert diety of choice here* Bless you!

Old 11-06-2013, 11:10 AM   #295
kaijunexus
===---- ゴジラ 2014 ----===

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeKay View Post
I'm still waiting for someone to tell me the jokes that Tony was cracking after Pepper 'died'.
I think he's mainly referring to the "whatever..." line after MK 42 crashes.

I love IM3, and I think that's a funny line/gag...but I do admit it was probably ill-timed. If it had been moved to another, less-dramatic part of the film, the gravity of Pepper's seeming demise would have probably felt more impactful.

ゴジラ
Old 11-06-2013, 11:22 AM   #296
divan
Side-Kick

???

I really don't get the problem you guys have with the ''whatever'' line. After Pepper dies, Tony is pissed. He charges at Killain in way I though "he's going to kill him" (kudos to Downey for selling that so well). Killian destroys every single suit he puts on, he's cornered and when it appears he's got one last chance to win, said chance dismemers in front of his eyes.

Seriosly, to me, that "whateer" felt more like "are you *****ing kidding me?" reaction than a joke.

Old 11-06-2013, 11:25 AM   #297
TeeKay
Side-Kick

Quote:
I think he's mainly referring to the "whatever..." line after MK 42 crashes.

I love IM3, and I think that's a funny line/gag...but I do admit it was probably ill-timed. If it had been moved to another, less-dramatic part of the film, the gravity of Pepper's seeming demise would have probably felt more impactful.
Oh that's why people say Tony was cracking Jokes after Pepper's death? But how's the 'whatever' line a joke though? Yeah the Mk 42 falling apart was intended as funny but I thought that 'whatever line was to show Tony's frustration. To each their own I guess. Nonetheless IM3 has become a punching bag on all fronts, it's not as bad as some people makes it out to be but everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by divan View Post
???

I really don't get the problem you guys have with the ''whatever'' line. After Pepper dies, Tony is pissed. He charges at Killain in way I though "he's going to kill him" (kudos to Downey for selling that so well). Killian destroys every single suit he puts on, he's cornered and when it appears he's got one last chance to win, said chance dismemers in front of his eyes.

Seriously, to me, that "whatever" felt more like "are you *****ing kidding me?" reaction than a joke.
I didnt have a problem with that line but what baffles me is when people say Tony was cracking jokes after Pepper died and yet no one can even name one joke. Maybe some people thought that line was funny.

Last edited by TeeKay; 11-06-2013 at 11:32 AM.
Old 11-06-2013, 11:39 AM   #298
Ultra Nolanite
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by divan View Post
???

Seriosly, to me, that "whateer" felt more like "are you *****ing kidding me?" reaction than a joke.
My problem with that scene goes beyond the "whatever" line. It's the fact that the writers even made the Mark 42 fail like that at that specific moment. The timing, the way it was shot, it was a typical comedic way of showing how useless the Mark 42 was and it was ill placed after Pepper 'death'.

Tony's whatever is just a reaction to an already ill placed attempt at comedy.

What should've happened was that the Mark 42 FINALLY functions properly and attaches to Tony and in an enraged state Tony attempts to use it to avenge Pepper but Killian STILL beats him.

That to me would've been MUCH better. OR as the Mark 42 comes flying in Killian blasts it out of the sky with one of his powers.

It wouldn't hurt the film to take moments like those seriously.

In IM2 when Tony uses the suitcase armor on the racetrack and Whiplash nearly destroys it with his whips, you can see Tony's facial expression go "Wow, this guy means business" as his armor gets weaker, you can feel the tension of the moment. Everything adapts to the situation. The music, the tone, the camera angles.

Moments like these have now been replaced with cheap attempts at comedy.

... Batman !!!

Last edited by Ultra Nolanite; 11-06-2013 at 11:43 AM.
Old 11-06-2013, 11:46 AM   #299
04nbod
I need to debrief you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashlilman View Post
I liked the Superman Forums until the Bat neighbors moved in. Superman fans have an inferiority complex and Batman fans have a Superiority complex in relation to each other.
Oh no, its different types of superiority.

My fave was the first superhero, he deserves special treatment
My fave is the most popular superhero, he deserves special treatment.

Old 11-06-2013, 12:27 PM   #300
TeeKay
Side-Kick

I'm just gonna leave this here........

Closed Thread