Closed Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 12:53 PM   #301
Webfoot Hero
Side-Kick

Default Re: Fan Review Thread SPOILERS INSIDE - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeKay View Post
I'm just gonna leave this here........

Seems more people aren't complaining about those, yet B&M about some small jokes in IM3. I personally have few problems with the comedic elements in IM3 since they are mostly limited to Tony and Happy and still written very true to their characters.

Old 11-06-2013, 01:48 PM   #302
Joeyjojo72
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultra Nolanite View Post
My problem with that scene goes beyond the "whatever" line. It's the fact that the writers even made the Mark 42 fail like that at that specific moment. The timing, the way it was shot, it was a typical comedic way of showing how useless the Mark 42 was and it was ill placed after Pepper 'death'.

Tony's whatever is just a reaction to an already ill placed attempt at comedy.

What should've happened was that the Mark 42 FINALLY functions properly and attaches to Tony and in an enraged state Tony attempts to use it to avenge Pepper but Killian STILL beats him.

That to me would've been MUCH better. OR as the Mark 42 comes flying in Killian blasts it out of the sky with one of his powers.

It wouldn't hurt the film to take moments like those seriously.

In IM2 when Tony uses the suitcase armor on the racetrack and Whiplash nearly destroys it with his whips, you can see Tony's facial expression go "Wow, this guy means business" as his armor gets weaker, you can feel the tension of the moment. Everything adapts to the situation. The music, the tone, the camera angles.

Moments like these have now been replaced with cheap attempts at comedy.
Spoken like a true (Ultra?!?!?) Nolanite. Your irony-challenged overlords will be quite pleased. Well done.

on-topic: what does everyone think of the love story aspect?

At the risk of being totally offensive...there's a quote from Ghandi about Christianity that can be reappropriated for this.

"I like your Christopher Nolan, but I do not like your Nolanites."
Old 11-06-2013, 01:53 PM   #303
CosmicPinchy
Rock Lobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeKay View Post
I'm just gonna leave this here........

Ah, best.

PS. Does anyone know how they brought Coulson back to life for Agents of Shield?

Old 11-06-2013, 02:02 PM   #304
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyjojo72 View Post
Spoken like a true (Ultra?!?!?) Nolanite. Your irony-challenged overlords will be quite pleased. Well done.

on-topic: what does everyone think of the love story aspect?
I am a full blown Marvel guy. I prefer them to DC, but I agree with everything he said, regarding Iron man 3.

Old 11-06-2013, 02:45 PM   #305
Persona
Side-Kick

i think this critic's blurb pretty much sums it up:

"It feels entirely made by committee – the definition of house style, without a personal stamp in sight."

that's The Telegraph, here's Time Out New York: "This is a superhero movie that feels like it might have been made by anyone and no one at the same time, simply space-filler before the next big team-up movie."

listen, almost all of these Marvel movies are effective as well-made and broadly appealing entertainment and fan service, but for them to reach their full potential as works of cinematic art and not just comic book ports, MS and Feige need to encourage the visions and artistic identities of the individual directors involved and stop pushing Whedon's way of doing things just because dude made the most successful Marvel movie to date. guy is an accomplished geek-indulger but i doubt he'll ever sniff most Top 100 Directors lists.

love or hate Nolan's Bat flicks, they had something in spades that Marvel movies, by and large, don't. and that's the singular voice of their director.

Old 11-06-2013, 02:52 PM   #306
ctsketch
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persona View Post

"It feels entirely made by committee – the definition of house style, without a personal stamp in sight."

that's The Telegraph, here's Time Out New York: "This is a superhero movie that feels like it might have been made by anyone and no one at the same time, simply space-filler before the next big team-up movie."

listen, almost all of these Marvel movies are effective as well-made and broadly appealing entertainment and fan service, but for them to reach their full potential as works of cinematic art and not just comic book ports, MS and Feige need to encourage the visions and artistic identities of the individual directors involved and stop pushing Whedon's way of doing things just because dude made the most successful Marvel movie to date. guy is an accomplished geek-indulger but i doubt he'll ever sniff most Top 100 Directors lists.

love or hate Nolan's Bat flicks, they had something in spades that Marvel movies, by and large, don't. and that's the singular voice of their director.
It's the writers, not the directors....

Old 11-06-2013, 03:27 PM   #307
BoredGuy
Killing Time

I hope in Thor 3 he fights some trolls.

And I don't mean big monsters, I mean the biased/noobs/marvelhaters in this forum

Old 11-06-2013, 03:30 PM   #308
Joeyjojo72
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaqua99 View Post
I am a full blown Marvel guy. I prefer them to DC, but I agree with everything he said, regarding Iron man 3.
Oh, you're one of those people. Well, at least you're not a Nolanite. Carry on.

At the risk of being totally offensive...there's a quote from Ghandi about Christianity that can be reappropriated for this.

Old 11-06-2013, 03:39 PM   #309
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyjojo72 View Post
Oh, you're one of those people. Well, at least you're not a Nolanite. Carry on.
Wait, is there a correct opinion that I don't know about? What's with the condescending attitude? I love Marvel, and I didn't HATE Iron man 3. I just disliked it more than the other MCU movies because of the feel, and how the humor was too much. It took away serious moments, and had poor placement.

I'm sorry that I have an opinion that differs from yours. You seem to be implying there is a correct opinion, or that one is more valid than another. It's a personal opinion.

Old 11-06-2013, 03:56 PM   #310
Quasar
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicPinchy View Post
PS. Does anyone know how they brought Coulson back to life for Agents of Shield?
Barring any revelation in this week's episode (which I haven't seen), it has yet to be explained. Though the mystery is briefly alluded to each episode.

Old 11-06-2013, 04:04 PM   #311
Joeyjojo72
Side-Kick

Angry Re: Fan Review Thread SPOILERS INSIDE - Part 1

Quote:
Wait, is there a correct opinion that I don't know about? What's with the condescending attitude? I love Marvel, and I didn't HATE Iron man 3. I just disliked it more than the other MCU movies because of the feel, and how the humor was too much. It took away serious moments, and had poor placement.

I'm sorry that I have an opinion that differs from yours. You seem to be implying there is a correct opinion, or that one is more valid than another. It's a personal opinion.
Relax man. Just poking you a bit. If you dont want some (mild) condescension vis a vis your opinion on IM3, I suggest trying to stay on-topic. A long post (plus conversation) about the humor in IM3 in a T:TDW Review thread is probalby asking for trouble.

Old 11-06-2013, 04:33 PM   #312
MahvelBaby!
Side-Kick

I hate nolanites their opinions are the only ones I don't respect out of spite.

Old 11-06-2013, 04:48 PM   #313
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

RANDOM BLOCKBUSTER SEQUEL: RETURN OF THE RISING DARKNESS
------------------------------

ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic

Old 11-06-2013, 05:04 PM   #314
TeeKay
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Hythlodeus View Post
lol wut?

Old 11-06-2013, 05:18 PM   #315
Figs
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
No it's the directors, or Feige/Marvel really. Persona and that critic he quoted are talking about the film visually. Saying that the director's style didn't shine through visually and that it looks like anyone could have made it, as if it's a bit cookie cutter. Basically, it sounds like Feige/Marvel took too much control again, similar to the editing process of The Incredible Hulk and well, this movie with how much was cut out apparently.

I brought this up once before and someone said something along the lines of "Shane Black says hi!". Well, Black and Downey Jr seem to be fairly good buddies and Downey Jr is Marvel's cash cow at the moment so I'm sure he helped persuade Marvel to let Black do his thing.

Old 11-06-2013, 05:25 PM   #316
Persona
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
that's a fair possibility, too. it's no wonder that the most successful Marvel movie to date was made by a writer-director. he had a vision on the page and then he was able to see it through as the director.

and i realize i probably came off like a major Nolanite in my last post, which was not intended (though i do love a good chunk of his films).

i should also clarify that i am first and foremost a fan of film. so all i really care about is the movie being as good as possible as a movie. sometimes that means or includes faithfulness to the letter or spirit of the comic, other times it doesn't. i don't really care, i just want the movie to be good and unique and to work as well as possible within the cinematic medium.

for people who might be more comic book fans or equal parts comic book and movie fans, i can understand why the way Marvel is approaching their cinematic universe might be viewed as ideal (or close to ideal), and i can respect that. it's just not my personal perspective because i do think some of these movies could be better if allowed to stand more on their own.

i am very psyched about GotG, though. again, there's that writer-director element with Gunn and i think GotG is gonna give us something really gonzo and beautiful and fun...and distinct, while still mostly meshing with the rest of what Marvel's trying to do.

Old 11-06-2013, 05:40 PM   #317
jmc
callin' it like I see it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persona View Post

It's a valid point but I would argue Shane Black probably stamped his mark on IM3, for better or worse depending on where you stand.

Fanboys make excuses, real fans acknowledge screw-ups.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:42 PM   #318
Ultra Nolanite
Side-Kick

^ The best part of TDW was the mid credit scene IMO. It showed the directors vision before the Whedonize filter is applied. How much of that remains come release date remains to be seen but I love what I hope GotG is going for.

But for GotG I expect a bit of camp and tons of humor so no biggie, it will also have heart.

"Sure thing kiddo, I'll just keep pretending to put food in your mouth and clothes on your gorram back"
Old 11-06-2013, 05:51 PM   #319
HUMANIMAL

edit: late to the party i seem...nevermind

MY FANART AND MANIPS

Last edited by HUMANIMAL; 11-06-2013 at 06:04 PM.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:16 PM   #320
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

Quote:
^ The best part of TDW was the mid credit scene IMO. It showed the directors vision before the Whedonize filter is applied. How much of that remains come release date remains to be seen but I love what I hope GotG is going for.

But for GotG I expect a bit of camp and tons of humor so no biggie, it will also have heart.
Just out of curiosity, what do you expect there to be added if the Whedon filter is applied to the scene?

Old 11-06-2013, 06:39 PM   #321
Moridin
Death Contagious Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figs View Post
No it's the directors, or Feige/Marvel really. Persona and that critic he quoted are talking about the film visually. Saying that the director's style didn't shine through visually and that it looks like anyone could have made it, as if it's a bit cookie cutter. Basically, it sounds like Feige/Marvel took too much control again, similar to the editing process of The Incredible Hulk and well, this movie with how much was cut out apparently.

I brought this up once before and someone said something along the lines of "Shane Black says hi!". Well, Black and Downey Jr seem to be fairly good buddies and Downey Jr is Marvel's cash cow at the moment so I'm sure he helped persuade Marvel to let Black do his thing.
OK, please detail what Alan Taylor's style of film-making is and how it's absent from the movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post
It's a valid point but I would argue Shane Black probably stamped his mark on IM3, for better or worse depending on where you stand.
There's no "probably" about it. Watch Kiss Kiss Bang Bang then IM3, it's blatantly obvious they're made by the same guy.

Defend night-flight sites...
Trap clamped, snared for pyres...

Witchtripper...
Witchtripper...
Old 11-06-2013, 06:44 PM   #322
Ultra Nolanite
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
Just out of curiosity, what do you expect there to be added if the Whedon filter is applied to the scene?
Comedy where perhaps a more serious approach would be better.

Not to say that Joss Whedon himself is guilty of this with The Avengers, that was a great movie. You see the thing with the Whedonize filter is that to date only Joss Whedon has been able to pull it off properly. The man struck gold with The Avengers and now Disney wants every director they work with to fit their vision into this Whedon mold.

Who can claim they see no difference between pre-Avengers solo films and post-Avengers solo films and keep a straight face ?

Or let me ask it another way, who here thinks this amount of control is something that Disney would NEVER want ?

"Sure thing kiddo, I'll just keep pretending to put food in your mouth and clothes on your gorram back"
Old 11-06-2013, 07:36 PM   #323
GremlinZilla89
Mogwai Healer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moridin View Post
OK, please detail what Alan Taylor's style of film-making is and how it's absent from the movie.
Exactly. The guy has only directed a television show. A television show where the visual presentation is the same from director to director.

What exactly, besides humor, made The Avengers (a critical smash as well as a general audience smash) feel like a Whedon film? Whedon doesn't have a "style" as it were. That's not to say he isn't competent. The Avengers is a well made film but nothing stylistically unique. Same with Iron Man and Iron Man 2. Same with The Incredible Hulk. Thor, Captain America and Iron 3 are the only MCU films that genuinely feel of the director.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:49 PM   #324
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

Quote:
Comedy where perhaps a more serious approach would be better.

Not to say that Joss Whedon himself is guilty of this with The Avengers, that was a great movie. You see the thing with the Whedonize filter is that to date only Joss Whedon has been able to pull it off properly. The man struck gold with The Avengers and now Disney wants every director they work with to fit their vision into this Whedon mold.

Who can claim they see no difference between pre-Avengers solo films and post-Avengers solo films and keep a straight face ?

Or let me ask it another way, who here thinks this amount of control is something that Disney would NEVER want ?
I asked since I found the scene pretty funny as it was as Benicio goes pretty heavily on the quirkiness. I'd say that most of the mid/post-credit scenes have been less funny than that one.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:09 PM   #325
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Quote:

Couldnt agree more with this, and I agree about Ultra-Nolanites take on the Mark 42 scene just after Peppers death, it took away any tension or feeling from the scene in what was supposed to be a sad and angry moment for Tony. This is why I think IM3 doesnt stand up to repeat viewings for me, if they had let their important moments breathe it would have been much better. I personally think Thor 2 has similar problems.

While I do like DC, Superman is the only character I have read consistently from their staple. I am much more of a Marvel man and have read many different characters. BUT, I can be objective about the movies no matter were my loyalties lie. Personally I want all comic book movies to be good and be successful as it only helps us get more.

1)X-Men: Days Of Future Past-10(2)Captain America: The Winter Soldier-9(3)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(4)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(5)The Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(6)Godzilla-8(7)Neighbours-8(8)The Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(9)The Lego Movie-7.5(10)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(11)Robocop-7.5(12)300:Rise Of An Empire-7(13)A Million Ways To Die In The West-7(14)47 Ronin-6(15)The Monuments Men-5(16)Ride Along-5(17)I, Frankenstein-3
Closed Thread