Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 08:25 PM   #326
Figs
Side-Kick

Default Re: Fan Review Thread SPOILERS INSIDE - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moridin View Post
OK, please detail what Alan Taylor's style of film-making is and how it's absent from the movie.
You would need to ask the critic that Persona quoted. I personally didn't say the film is cookie cutter, since I haven't seen it obviously. My post was simply explaining to ctsketch that the critic was referring to visuals and camera work rather than the writing/dialogue.

Old 11-06-2013, 11:15 PM   #327
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

I thought it was pretty good for the most part. Scale and scope of this story was much better than Thor.

- CM Punk
Old 11-06-2013, 11:34 PM   #328
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
I thought it was pretty good for the most part. Scale and scope of this story was much better than Thor.
So what would you give it out of 10 and do you think it'sbetter than the first?

Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
Old 11-06-2013, 11:56 PM   #329
Rock Sexton
Go get me a Juicebox!

Quote:
C'mon Vile ..... gotta go into detail for us!

Old 11-07-2013, 12:44 AM   #330
TheJediBrah
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Hythlodeus View Post
After most of his men died anyway when they were slaughtered by the Aesir. The opening battle was extremely brutal, in a kid friendly way. Sure, Bor was defending the universe, but he was undenialy extreme in his ways to do so.
As was Odin with the Jotuns. Some sort of intergalactic/pandimensional Marshal plan to help rebuilding the realms and backing of an Aseir friendly leadership in those realms would have helped a lot. Instead, Svartalfheim and Jotunheim were completely destoyed and in ruins, the majority of its inhabitants killed without any sources of power and their leaders were still in charge. Probably not the wisest decisions Bor and Odin could have made
Any less extreme would result in, or at least risk much more significantly, failure and destruction of the universe.

There's a reason people like you aren't in charge of countries & militaries

Old 11-07-2013, 01:53 AM   #331
herolee10
Ultimate Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeKay View Post
I'm just gonna leave this here........

Personally, I feel like Whedon's comical timing within the film was a double edge sword.

I mean don't get me wrong, I was laughing my head out when Loki go thrown around like a rag doll by the Hulk, but at the same time...I (along with many others that I know of) really felt like it diminished Loki's credibility as being a threat worthy for all of the avengers since he just had his ass handed to him by the Hulk.

And that whole epic tracking shot featuring all of the Avengers...I personally think that I could have done without it ending with Hulk throwing Thor into the ground with a punch.

I mean can anyone say that it would be a wise thing to have a joke after Krypton explodes or when Bruce's parents have just been murdered?

Personally, I feel like any comical themes should have their own moment where they don't go side by side with the dramatic elements of the film as they can end up canceling each other out.

Old 11-07-2013, 01:59 AM   #332
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThor View Post
So what would you give it out of 10 and do you think it'sbetter than the first?
Hmm. I would say 8.5 to 9 out of 10, but where are these movies are concerned I'm not hard to please.

But I remember thinking how satisfying this movie was compared to Iron Man 3. There was big scale here, the threat was something that could break the entire universe.

I think there was a bit too much of Darcy at the expense of other characters but the way the show I think used direct lifts from Earth's Mightiest Heroes (the animated show) was pretty cool.

Thor's enemies are more than a physical match for him this time.

Malekith is a little short-changed. He's evil and menacing but he did need more screentime.

Like with Thor, the movie needed about another 10-15 minutes.

But the way the world was built up here was great. We actually get to see Asgard. The movie doesn't look like it takes place on tiny sets. The big final fight is across London and looked great. It's one of the better Marvel climaxes.

Joss Whedon and Kevin Feige put this unrealistic climax on Iron Man 3 saying it was too hard to top, bigger than Avengers, etc. That was kind of baloney.

The finale in Thor 2 was easily better than Iron Man 3's or Iron Man 2's for that matter.

- CM Punk
Old 11-07-2013, 02:01 AM   #333
jmc
callin' it like I see it

I actually tend to agree that Hulk smashing Loki thing for a gag diminished him as a threat. It wasn't as bad as the Trevor reveal but still wasn't really needed.

Fanboys make excuses, real fans acknowledge screw-ups.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
Old 11-07-2013, 02:14 AM   #334
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

It was one of the best parts of the movie though.

- CM Punk
Old 11-07-2013, 02:28 AM   #335
T"Challa
Side-Kick

I absolutely loved the Hulk-Loki scene. It still gets me to this day. To me, it was the exclamation point to the fact that these movies can provide pure unadulterated entertainment to people when they are done right. I have been to a ton of cbm midnight showings and i have never seen an audience react to a singular scene the way they did during that beatdown. Laughs and claps and cheers everywhere..that has to count for something. Its not very often that we get truly iconic and memorable scenes in these movies and that is one of them that will remain in the minds of many.

And frankly, i thought it was a perfect way for Loki to get his comeuppance. His one fatal flaw has always been his extreme arrogance and refusal to respect his opponents abilities. I don't think that hurt or diminished the character at all.

1. The Avengers 2. The Dark Knight 3. Captain America: The Winter Soldier . 4.Spiderman 2 5. X2: X Men United. 6. Iron Man 7. Batman Begins. 8. X-Men: First Class[/B] 9. Captain America: The First Avenger 10. Superman: The Movie
Old 11-07-2013, 02:42 AM   #336
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
Hmm. I would say 8.5 to 9 out of 10, but where are these movies are concerned I'm not hard to please.

But I remember thinking how satisfying this movie was compared to Iron Man 3. There was big scale here, the threat was something that could break the entire universe.

I think there was a bit too much of Darcy at the expense of other characters but the way the show I think used direct lifts from Earth's Mightiest Heroes (the animated show) was pretty cool.

Thor's enemies are more than a physical match for him this time.

Malekith is a little short-changed. He's evil and menacing but he did need more screentime.

Like with Thor, the movie needed about another 10-15 minutes.

But the way the world was built up here was great. We actually get to see Asgard. The movie doesn't look like it takes place on tiny sets. The big final fight is across London and looked great. It's one of the better Marvel climaxes.

Joss Whedon and Kevin Feige put this unrealistic climax on Iron Man 3 saying it was too hard to top, bigger than Avengers, etc. That was kind of baloney.

The finale in Thor 2 was easily better than Iron Man 3's or Iron Man 2's for that matter.
That's great to hear glad you liked the film so much, so what do you mean by using direct lifts from Earth's Mightiest Heroes?

Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
Old 11-07-2013, 03:01 AM   #337
TheJediBrah
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by T"Challa View Post
I absolutely loved the Hulk-Loki scene. It still gets me to this day. To me, it was the exclamation point to the fact that these movies can provide pure unadulterated entertainment to people when they are done right. I have been to a ton of cbm midnight showings and i have never seen an audience react to a singular scene the way they did during that beatdown. Laughs and claps and cheers everywhere..that has to count for something. Its not very often that we get truly iconic and memorable scenes in these movies and that is one of them that will remain in the minds of many.

And frankly, i thought it was a perfect way for Loki to get his comeuppance. His one fatal flaw has always been his extreme arrogance and refusal to respect his opponents abilities. I don't think that hurt or diminished the character at all.
Silly question, but are you exaggerating here or do people actually clap and cheer in movie theatres where you're from?

because that just sounds ridiculous

Old 11-07-2013, 03:13 AM   #338
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJediBrah View Post

There's a reason people like you aren't in charge of countries & militaries
Actually sometimes they are

RANDOM BLOCKBUSTER SEQUEL: RETURN OF THE RISING DARKNESS
------------------------------

ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic

Old 11-07-2013, 07:28 AM   #339
FeedOnATreeFrog
A Metal Gear reference

Quote:
Silly question, but are you exaggerating here or do people actually clap and cheer in movie theatres where you're from?

They did in the few times I watched Avengers in theatres.

Old 11-07-2013, 07:35 AM   #340
GremlinZilla89
Side-Kick

Quote:

How is it ridiculous? I never understood cheering snobs.

Old 11-07-2013, 07:46 AM   #341
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by GremlinZilla89 View Post
How is it ridiculous? I never understood cheering snobs.
It's just uncommon. I only witnessed that three times in my life and actually thought it was a very akward thing every time it happend.

RANDOM BLOCKBUSTER SEQUEL: RETURN OF THE RISING DARKNESS
------------------------------

ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic

Old 11-07-2013, 07:46 AM   #342
Ultra Nolanite
Side-Kick

Quote:

You should've seen the people at my theatre during Fast and Furious 6

It was a menagerie.

"Sure thing kiddo, I'll just keep pretending to put food in your mouth and clothes on your gorram back"
Old 11-07-2013, 08:49 AM   #343
CosmicPinchy
Rock Lobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Hythlodeus View Post
It's just uncommon. I only witnessed that three times in my life and actually thought it was a very akward thing every time it happend.
I went to the X-Men: The Last Stand midnight showing in my city and people cheered at the end of the movie...which was kind of stupid given that the movie absolutely sucked.

Maybe they were just happy it was over.

Old 11-07-2013, 09:10 AM   #344
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

I thought it was good, it built off the first movie well, especially as it relates to the Thor and Loki dynamic that is the films driving force. It blends sci fi and fantasy really well with the mix being visually beautiful. Asgard is the stand out and I wish the film spent more time there with Thor showing Jane around.

The overarching story is a standard evil race want to take over the world (or Realms in this case) deal, but at the center of it is a great story of two brothers who are enemies bound by revenge and in Thor's case a quest to save his Lady love. Hemsworth and Hiddleston really bring this to life and the middle of the film with them together is when it's at it's best.

I also really liked the scenes with Odin and Thor that showcased how Thor has matured since the first film, it was kind of a role reversal. I'd have liked a bit more of The Warriors 3 but they do get a fun scene each. I liked the Thor and Jane dynamic again but as I mentioned above, more quiet time with them on Asgard would have been good.

I've seen quite a few mentions of the humour and I thought it mostly worked bar the 3 gags within the Thor vs Malekith fight.

The action is grander in scale than the first, the 2 big sequences on Asgard being especially good. Thor vs Kurse is a bit simple but I thought Thor vs Malekith was very imaginative.

The Dark World has some really great Loki moments that steal the film in my view, the end shot being particularly great!
It also features two fun cameos.

All in all a good addition to the MCU. 8/10

"Now this life is etched in black but I wont be looking back, the rain washed out the tracks, I'll never find again"

Old 11-07-2013, 09:19 AM   #345
Figs
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
And that whole epic tracking shot featuring all of the Avengers...I personally think that I could have done without it ending with Hulk throwing Thor into the ground with a punch.

I mean can anyone say that it would be a wise thing to have a joke after Krypton explodes or when Bruce's parents have just been murdered?
Thor and Hulk beating up aliens and Hulk smashing Loki should in no way be compared to a planet being destroyed or two people being murdered. That's a big stretch right there.

As for Hulk punching Thor, the audience seemed to love it the couple times I saw the movie in the theater. Not to mention I felt it was a funny scene, with Hulk hitting Thor one last time as a kind of reminder that their fight wasn't finished since the jet interrupted it when the pilot started shooting at Hulk. That's how I like to think of Hulk's reasoning for the punch at least. Kind of like the Hulk wanting to get the last punch and win the fight hahaha.

Old 11-07-2013, 10:08 AM   #346
Rock Sexton
Go get me a Juicebox!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post
I actually tend to agree that Hulk smashing Loki thing for a gag diminished him as a threat. It wasn't as bad as the Trevor reveal but still wasn't really needed.
I will say this .... the scene would've played better across the board if perhaps Loki used his doubles to confuse Hulk at first, while he's giving him that rant about being a God. Then you could have Hulk grab him and slam him around.

I still love the scene .... but I can understand how some would want more out of the interaction before getting to the point where he's being slammed around.

Old 11-07-2013, 10:12 AM   #347
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

Lucky duck got to see it early! I'm hoping to see it tomorrow afternoon!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Rider View Post
I thought it was good, it built off the first movie well, especially as it relates to the Thor and Loki dynamic that is the films driving force. It blends sci fi and fantasy really well with the mix being visually beautiful. Asgard is the stand out and I wish the film spent more time there with Thor showing Jane around.

The overarching story is a standard evil race want to take over the world (or Realms in this case) deal, but at the center of it is a great story of two brothers who are enemies bound by revenge and in Thor's case a quest to save his Lady love. Hemsworth and Hiddleston really bring this to life and the middle of the film with them together is when it's at it's best.

I also really liked the scenes with Odin and Thor that showcased how Thor has matured since the first film, it was kind of a role reversal. I'd have liked a bit more of The Warriors 3 but they do get a fun scene each. I liked the Thor and Jane dynamic again but as I mentioned above, more quiet time with them on Asgard would have been good.

I've seen quite a few mentions of the humour and I thought it mostly worked bar the 3 gags within the Thor vs Malekith fight.

The action is grander in scale than the first, the 2 big sequences on Asgard being especially good. Thor vs Kurse is a bit simple but I thought Thor vs Malekith was very imaginative.

The Dark World has some really great Loki moments that steal the film in my view, the end shot being particularly great!
It also features two fun cameos.

All in all a good addition to the MCU. 8/10

....to every King.
THOR MAY 6TH 2011

Old 11-07-2013, 10:27 AM   #348
hitmanyr2k
Resident Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
Personally, I feel like Whedon's comical timing within the film was a double edge sword.

I mean don't get me wrong, I was laughing my head out when Loki go thrown around like a rag doll by the Hulk, but at the same time...I (along with many others that I know of) really felt like it diminished Loki's credibility as being a threat worthy for all of the avengers since he just had his ass handed to him by the Hulk.

Personally, I feel like any comical themes should have their own moment where they don't go side by side with the dramatic elements of the film as they can end up canceling each other out.
Eh, I didn't think any of these were near as bad as Man of Steel. Thousands in Metropolis are lying dead or probably dying in the rubble but Lois and Superman find a way to have the more forced kiss ever and crack a joke that after the first kiss it's all downhill from there. Ugh.

Old 11-07-2013, 11:02 AM   #349
Lady Marion
Anyone else?

Quote:

They did it usually at premiere screenings or fan screenings. But why is this ridiculous? I love more a relaxed athmosphere where people are laughing and cheering loud some times. I felt quite unconfortable when I was the only one who laughed at the Hulk-smashing-Loki scene.

Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase 2

IRON MAN 3 / THOR – THE DARK WORLD / CAPTAIN AMERICA – THE WINTER SOLDIER / GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY/ AVENGERS – AGE OF ULTRON
Old 11-07-2013, 11:03 AM   #350
Rock Sexton
Go get me a Juicebox!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figs View Post
Thor and Hulk beating up aliens and Hulk smashing Loki should in no way be compared to a planet being destroyed or two people being murdered. That's a big stretch right there.

As for Hulk punching Thor, the audience seemed to love it the couple times I saw the movie in the theater. Not to mention I felt it was a funny scene, with Hulk hitting Thor one last time as a kind of reminder that their fight wasn't finished since the jet interrupted it when the pilot started shooting at Hulk. That's how I like to think of Hulk's reasoning for the punch at least. Kind of like the Hulk wanting to get the last punch and win the fight hahaha.

That punch Hulk gave Thor was the single most hysterical thing I've seen in a comic book movie. It epitomized the word "comic".

Closed Thread