2 0 0%
1 1 2.86%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 01:30 PM   #751
Marvolo
Side-Kick

Default Re: Fan Review Thread SPOILERS INSIDE - Part 1

I'm not sure how anyone could call that goofy undercooked finale good. I'm open to hearing defenses for it, but it wasn't thrilling in the least. Goofy yes...thrilling tho? Nope. It was just a couple minutes of thor and mal trading punches. Then a couple minutes of them roling around other worlds. Mixed with that goofy darcy **** and the dark elves chasing them around looking like incompetent bafoons like they were on benny hill. Then Mal gets speared with science equipment and is crushed with the dumbest look on his face. Just makes me want to ask Taylor wtf he was thinking with this film.

Old 11-09-2013, 01:31 PM   #752
ElMariachi
Bald to the Bone

Yeah, I wasn't big on Odin in this movie. He seemed like a constantly pissed off eyepatch wearing Santa Claus in armor. Hopkins was absolute money in the first film. He had such chemistry with Thor and Loki. In this, frankly, he was sort of a d***.

Prof. X sittin' on Adamantium wheelchair rims, reading your stupid minds & laughing at your hair.
Old 11-09-2013, 01:34 PM   #753
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by theShape View Post
Also, I'm just gonna come out and say that anyone who thinks TDW is a better film than Man of Steel is crazy. MOS has it faults, many of which have been discussed to death and generally agreed upon, but the faults of TDW are more glaring. Someone said this was more ambitious than the first Thor and I completely disagree. They played it safe and gave us a fun but completely predictable movie that fits neatly into the general Marvel formula. More CGI and other-worldy elements does not equate to "more ambitious".
In a world where one film seemingly needs to meet the prerequisite and can be criticized by a mass on level of 'inspirational'
Safe bet one might get the pass whereas the other does less so in some areas.

The idea of "fun" expectation never comes up when you can stop midway through your existence hinging climax to have a public transit gag(seriously where is that hammer). Or two whole sects of super powered reinforcements are but a call away(literally). The genre and how the GA receives it is an evolving and dynamic thing imo. DC has their way, Disney has there's it seems.
What's interesting is where Fox and Sony will choose to land tonally.
I for one would think naked old actors and underwear gags a thing only Michael Bay films have.

This is however the first film from the company other than IM1/Avengers that, for me, I won't be forgetting about in a day or two.

Old 11-09-2013, 01:34 PM   #754
ElMariachi
Bald to the Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvolo View Post
I'm not sure how anyone could call that goofy undercooked finale good. I'm open to hearing defenses for it, but it wasn't thrilling in the least. Goofy yes...thrilling tho? Nope. It was just a couple minutes of thor and mal trading punches. Then a couple minutes of them roling around other worlds. Mixed with that goofy darcy **** and the dark elves running around like incompetent bafoons like they were on benny hill. Then Mal gets speared with science equipment and is crushed with the dumbest look on his face. Just makes me want to ask Taylor wtf he was thinking with this film.
That's what I liked about it though. It was silly and goofy. People have to remember that we are watching a Thor movie here. There are only so many times you can watch a nearly invincible god hit people with a hammer or shoot lighting bolts. The Portal-esque jumping around was creative and fun to watch.

Prof. X sittin' on Adamantium wheelchair rims, reading your stupid minds & laughing at your hair.
Old 11-09-2013, 01:37 PM   #755
TeeKay
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElMariachi View Post
I'd rank TDW and MoS as equals. I don't think these two movies were particularly well written. Both featured excessive MacGuffins, fantasy/technobabble, and video game CGI. I thought both movies had fantastic end battles. MoS had a better villain. Thor had better supporting characters. Hated both female leads. Hemsworth and Cavill were both great but didn't really get much in terms of writing. MoS had a much better soundtrack. Thor featured one of the best characters in all comic movies with Loki.

The main thing that separates the two movies is that MoS took itself too seriously for a film featuring alien men riding around on giant dragonflies. Thor was a sort of tongue-in-cheek. Scenes with Thor riding around in a passenger seat in car, hanging up Mjolnir on a coatrack, bickering with Loki, Thor and Malekith humorously sliding down the side of the Gherkin, and trying to fly the Dark Elf spaceship like a complete idiot.

I would probably get new directors and writing teams for both movies in their sequels. Thor 3 needs a tighter plot. MoS 2 needs to get a sense of humor and stop trying to be TDK.

I still enjoyed this movie way more than MOS. MOS took itself way too seriously like you said and it was was just bland and humourless and the Zod vs Superman fight looked way more like a video game than the Malekith vs Thor final battle imo. The Neo vs Smith end fight in the Matrix revolutions is more or less the same with Zod's fight with Supes in MOS imo. However there was too much humour in the final battle in this movie but the fight was more creative and cool, it wasn't repetitive.

I'm watching this again tonight and then I'll write a detailed full length review.

Old 11-09-2013, 01:37 PM   #756
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
I'm not sure how anyone could call that goofy undercooked finale good. I'm open to hearing defenses for it, but it wasn't thrilling in the least. Goofy yes...thrilling tho? Nope. It was just a couple minutes of thor and mal trading punches. Then a couple minutes of them roling around other worlds. Mixed with that goofy darcy **** and the dark elves chasing them around looking like incompetent bafoons like they were on benny hill. Then Mal gets speared with science equipment and is crushed with the dumbest look on his face. Just makes me want to ask Taylor wtf he was thinking with this film.
This was mostly odd to me cause of how cool those things were in the asgard invasion.

Old 11-09-2013, 01:51 PM   #757
ThePowerCosmic
Straight Lording.

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
I guess we shouldn't expect much from the Scarlet Witch then in the Avengers when it comes to magic since if the MCU tamed Loki and Malekith in that department, what hope does she have as well?

The real magic will come with Doctor Strange and probably Amora the Enchantress in Thor 3.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 11-09-2013, 01:58 PM   #758
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

Quote:
That's what I liked about it though. It was silly and goofy. People have to remember that we are watching a Thor movie here. There are only so many times you can watch a nearly invincible god hit people with a hammer or shoot lighting bolts. The Portal-esque jumping around was creative and fun to watch.
I thought it was a lot of fun watching them go from realm to realm and all the different characters. It was both funny and thrilling. I hated the rest of the movie though. Excruciating. So the climax is the only thing I am prepared to defend. (And Darcy and her intern.)

Old 11-09-2013, 01:59 PM   #759
ElMariachi
Bald to the Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeKay View Post

I still enjoyed this movie way more than MOS. MOS took itself way too seriously like you said and it was was just bland and humourless and the Zod vs Superman fight looked way more like a video game than the Malekith vs Thor final battle imo. The Neo vs Smith end fight in the Matrix revolutions is more or less the same with Zod's fight with Supes in MOS imo. However there was too much humour in the final battle in this movie but the fight was more creative and cool, it wasn't repetitive.

I'm watching this again tonight and then I'll write a detailed full length review.
Yeah, that was my main gripe with MoS. I liked it but I wish they would have avoided the seriousness. Superman should be handled like the first Thor movie, in my personal opinion. Or hell, the first two Superman movies! Leave the darker, more serious tones to Batman, X-Men, Daredevil, and maybe Captain America. I loved Cavill's Supes and Zod as the bad guy. I just want to laugh a few times during a Superman movie. I honestly laughed more during TDK than I did MoS. Anyone can do action, humor and dialogue is what makes films stand apart. This is why I rate the IM movies (along with BB/TDK/SM1&2) so high compared to the rest of the field. They will stay fresh for much longer because of dialogue and humor. Thor 1 had a good blend of this too.

Last edited by ElMariachi; 11-09-2013 at 02:03 PM.
Old 11-09-2013, 02:01 PM   #760
ThePowerCosmic
Straight Lording.

Quote:
Yeah, I wasn't big on Odin in this movie. He seemed like a constantly pissed off eyepatch wearing Santa Claus in armor. Hopkins was absolute money in the first film. He had such chemistry with Thor and Loki. In this, frankly, he was sort of a d***.
One of his sons just came from nearly destroying Midgard, the other is in love with a Midgardian, the 9 Realms are plunged in war, the enemies he thought his father vanquished long ago aren't actually dead, and on top of that, they killed his wife.

Yeah, I'd be a bit on the cranky side as well.

It's in Odin's character to be a dick. It was only amplified in this movie because Odin's stress levels are higher than ever.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 11-09-2013, 02:07 PM   #761
TeeKay
Side-Kick

Quote:
Yeah, that was my main gripe with MoS. I liked it but I wish they would have avoided the seriousness. Superman should be handled like the first Thor movie, in my personal opinion. Or hell, the first two Superman movies! Leave the darker, more serious tones to Batman, X-Men, Daredevil, and maybe Captain America. I loved Cavill's Supes and Zod as the bad guy. I just want to laugh a few times during a Superman movie. I honestly laughed more during TDK than I did MoS. Anyone can do action, humor and dialogue is what makes films stand apart. This is why I rate the IM movies (along with BB/TDK/SM1&2) so high compared to the rest of the field. They will stay fresh for much longer because of dialogue and humor. Thor 1 had a good blend of this too.
I'm with you there. They tried to 'batmanize' Superman and they didn't succeed imo. Happened to TASM to a lesser extent.

Old 11-09-2013, 02:07 PM   #762
ThePowerCosmic
Straight Lording.

It's crazy how Loki is on the throne now. That means he has access to the vault and most importantly, the Tesseract.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 11-09-2013, 02:11 PM   #763
Rock Sexton
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowerCosmic View Post
It's crazy how Loki is on the throne now. That means he has access to the vault and most importantly, the Tesseract.
Wait, I'm unclear on something here.

What happaned to Odin? They didn't show Loki do anything to him, but he did give Odin a sly look when he was disguised as the guard. Are we assuming he killed him? Loki does need the Tesseract to save his own azz, but honestly I dont get the impression he fears anyone/anything.

Last edited by Rock Sexton; 11-09-2013 at 02:14 PM.
Old 11-09-2013, 02:13 PM   #764
TeeKay
Side-Kick

Quote:
Well he did make a deal with Thanos remember and he doubled crossed him. So to get even with Thanos, he'll probably give him the IG and in return ask him to leave Asgard alone. Man, can't wait for Thor 3.

Old 11-09-2013, 02:16 PM   #765
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

Quote:
I am not blaming Taylor on this one too much. Yes some of the things like Mal's expression are on him, but the general ton is on Marvel. He wanted to make a more serious film, but apparently was in a battle over the comedy aspects and had to compromise. Sadly the finale was effected big time.

Old 11-09-2013, 02:17 PM   #766
Endeavor
Que bolá con el timbeque?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Sexton View Post

What happaned to Odin? They didn't show Loki do anything to him, but he did give Odin a sly look when he was disguised as the guard. Are we assuming he killed him? Loki does need the Tesseract to save his own azz, but honestly I dont get the impression he fears anyone/anything.
He probably induced a premature Odin sleep, somehow.

Old 11-09-2013, 02:17 PM   #767
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Sexton View Post

We have no idea what happened to Odin. That is the beauty of it and why I think they should of held off on the reveal.

Old 11-09-2013, 02:19 PM   #768
Rock Sexton
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endeavor View Post
He probably induced a premature Odin sleep, somehow.
Man I hope they don't go that route again. We already saw that.

Old 11-09-2013, 02:22 PM   #769
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

What a sad ****ing day, WHAT A SAD ****ING DAYYYYYYYYYYY!

Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
Old 11-09-2013, 02:22 PM   #770
ThePowerCosmic
Straight Lording.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeKay View Post
Well he did make a deal with Thanos remember and he doubled crossed him. So to get even with Thanos, he'll probably give him the IG and in return ask him to leave Asgard alone. Man, can't wait for Thor 3.

I don't think the Infinity Gauntlet is in the vault, but maybe Loki will give Thanos the Tesseract. Or perhaps he'll use it himself.

I really want to know what Loki's planning, because why would he send a powerful substance like the Aether away to the Collector like that? He could've used that power himself, eventually. Maybe he gave Thanos the Aether to get his attention...then if Loki asks Thanos to leave Asgard alone, he'll have the Tesseract to offer him in a bargain.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 11-09-2013, 02:24 PM   #771
ThePowerCosmic
Straight Lording.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThor View Post
I bet you were really disappointed with Thor vs. Kurse. While I wish Thor would've fought back, I thought Kurse was great in the scene.

I bet they're saving the real fight for Skurge, though.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 11-09-2013, 02:24 PM   #772
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

Loki already gave Thanos the Aether most likely.

Old 11-09-2013, 02:24 PM   #773
TeeKay
Side-Kick

Quote:
You ok?

Quote:
I don't think the Infinity Gauntlet is in the vault, but maybe Loki will give Thanos the Tesseract. Or perhaps he'll use it himself.

I really want to know what Loki's planning, because why would he send a powerful substance like the Aether away to the Collector like that? He could've used that power himself, eventually. Maybe he gave Thanos the Aether to get his attention...then if Loki asks Thanos to leave Asgard alone, he'll have the Tesseract to offer him in a bargain.
Loki has become unpredictable at this point. Who knows what he's thinking?

Old 11-09-2013, 02:25 PM   #774
ThePowerCosmic
Straight Lording.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
Loki already gave Thanos the Aether most likely.

Huh? We just saw the Collector get the Aether. Unless you're saying that you think it was another Loki trick.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 11-09-2013, 02:25 PM   #775
Endeavor
Que bolá con el timbeque?

Quote:

Closed Thread