Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 08:22 AM   #126
TeeKay
Side-Kick

Default Re: Fan Review Thread SPOILERS INSIDE - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
It's a bit funny to see how this is called safe now, when a few years ago the common view was that the only way to do superheroes was to go darker and grittier.
It's ironic isn't it? Well The Avengers disproved that. That whole 'dark' and 'gritty' approach won't always work with some superheroes especially if you take a fun, charming superhero and try to make him all dark and brooding.

Last edited by TeeKay; 11-03-2013 at 08:28 AM.
Old 11-03-2013, 08:32 AM   #127
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

^Isnt Thor very serious in the comics though? The ones I have read with him in he wasnt cracking jokes at any point.

1)X-Men: Days Of Future Past-10(2)Captain America: The Winter Soldier-9(3)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(4)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(5)The Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(6)Godzilla-8(7)Neighbours-8(8)The Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(9)The Lego Movie-7.5(10)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(11)Robocop-7.5(12)300:Rise Of An Empire-7(13)A Million Ways To Die In The West-7(14)47 Ronin-6(15)The Monuments Men-5(16)Ride Along-5(17)I, Frankenstein-3
Old 11-03-2013, 08:40 AM   #128
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON View Post
True, but thats the influence the Nolan Batman movies had, which was substantial, and they are superb IMO. But, I think something in the middle of them and what the MCU are currently doing would be perfect going forward. The obvious exception being GOTG as that NEEDS humour in it.
Yeah, I wasn't arguing against what you wanted but just making an observation on how things have changed.

Old 11-03-2013, 08:43 AM   #129
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Quote:
Yeah, I wasn't arguing against what you wanted but just making an observation on how things have changed.
Ah right, in that regard things have changed, you are right. I just think Marvel has gone too far the other way with phase 2, I honestly dont remember any of the P1 movies having this complaint. In fact they all had a pretty perfect balance, with IM1 and Thor 1 being the best IMO. Phase 2 has just gone too far for me though, so far anyway.

1)X-Men: Days Of Future Past-10(2)Captain America: The Winter Soldier-9(3)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(4)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(5)The Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(6)Godzilla-8(7)Neighbours-8(8)The Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(9)The Lego Movie-7.5(10)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(11)Robocop-7.5(12)300:Rise Of An Empire-7(13)A Million Ways To Die In The West-7(14)47 Ronin-6(15)The Monuments Men-5(16)Ride Along-5(17)I, Frankenstein-3
Old 11-03-2013, 08:49 AM   #130
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

Quote:
Ah right, in that regard things have changed, you are right. I just think Marvel has gone too far the other way with phase 2, I honestly dont remember any of the P1 movies having this complaint. In fact they all had a pretty perfect balance, with IM1 and Thor 1 being the best IMO. Phase 2 has just gone too far for me though, so far anyway.
There were complaints about the humor from some in P1 as well, and I still see some people randomly bring up the Avengers to complain about it in certain other forum parts.

Old 11-03-2013, 08:50 AM   #131
GremlinZilla89
Mogwai Healer

The good reviews are slowly piling on.

Old 11-03-2013, 09:05 AM   #132
TeeKay
Side-Kick

Quote:
^Isnt Thor very serious in the comics though? The ones I have read with him in he wasnt cracking jokes at any point.
There's a difference between serious and dark. He's rather cocky and that comes off as humourous ('anyone else' line) sometimes but I don't recall him cracking jokes directly in the comics. He's not always serious in the comics I have read but he does have serious moments much like any other superhero.

Old 11-03-2013, 09:06 AM   #133
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Howlett View Post
Taylor doesn't like the opening prologue, which is exposition dump. He also had a give and take when it came to the humor of the picture. He said in one interview that he thought it was his job to darkening up the world and the characters but resigned himself to the idea that the Marvel films push the humor as well, more so than I think he likes it to be.

You can't just ignore the weird placement of humor through out this film. It's startling in the back half of the picture...especially when the stakes get higher and higher.

It's done for pure entertainment purposes but cuts the legs from underneath the climax which is suppose to be real, real important to the audience.

Avengers had moments like that too.
I forgot to add one thing to my previous post, which is that Taylor should really be used to being guided in his work as directors in TV don't have the role that they do in movies. In TV it's the producer that comes with the overall artistic vision, so on Game of Thrones he worked below Benioff and Weiss to create their vision.

Old 11-03-2013, 09:09 AM   #134
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Quote:
There were complaints about the humor from some in P1 as well, and I still see some people randomly bring up the Avengers to complain about it in certain other forum parts.
I didnt have a problem with the humour in TA because it NEVER took away or under-cut the emotional moments like has been the case with IM3 and Thor 2. It let its emotional and dramatic moments breathe, same with all of the phase 1 movies for me. I will say though that my main criticism of TA was that there werent enough emotionally powerful moments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeKay View Post
He's rather cocky and that comes off as humourous (anyone else line) sometimes but I don't recall him cracking jokes directly. He's not always serious in the comics I have read but he does have serious moments much like any other superhero.
I have read a fair bit of Thor, and he always came across very serious in those stories, him cracking jokes in Tho 2 seemed strange at 1st, but most of his humour worked.

Old 11-03-2013, 09:15 AM   #135
TeeKay
Side-Kick

Quote:
I have read a fair bit of Thor, and he always came across very serious in those stories, him cracking jokes in Tho 2 seemed strange at 1st, but most of his humour worked.
Well characters in the MCU are sometimes different from their comic book counter parts but the core elements of the characters are still there, the example being Tony Stark. He's very serious in the comics but in the movies he's cracking jokes and one liners. I say it worked pretty well for him in the MCU. Hawkeye is a one liner troll in the comics but he's kinda serious in the MCU than he is in the comics.

Old 11-03-2013, 09:23 AM   #136
ThePowerCosmic
You are hailing!

Quote:
Well characters in the MCU are sometimes different from their comic book counter parts but the core elements of the characters are still there, the example being Tony Stark. He's very serious in the comics but in the movies he's cracking jokes and one liners. I say it worked pretty well for him in the MCU. Hawkeye is a one liner troll in the comics but he's kinda serious in the MCU than he is in the comics.
Depends on which comics you're talking about. Ultimate Hawkeye is serious with dry humor.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:26 AM   #137
ThePowerCosmic
You are hailing!

Speaking of humorous, according to a clip, in a ship scene Thor gives a "Whoo-hoo!" type sound because he's having fun. I don't like that. Doesn't fit Thor to me.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:26 AM   #138
TeeKay
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowerCosmic View Post
Depends on which comics you're talking about. Ultimate Hawkeye is serious with dry humor.
The 616 Hawkeye is a troll sometimes. It also depends on the writer as well. But I think Matt Fraction's run on Hawkeye absolutely amazing though.

Quote:
Speaking of humorous, according to a clip, in a ship scene Thor gives a "Whoo-hoo!" type sound because he's having fun. I don't like that. Doesn't fit Thor to me.
I don't remember him saying that. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong. Love that scene though, Loki was being a troll to the point where Thor kicks him out of the ship.

Last edited by TeeKay; 11-03-2013 at 09:34 AM.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:28 AM   #139
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

Quote:
I didnt have a problem with the humour in TA because it NEVER took away or under-cut the emotional moments like has been the case with IM3 and Thor 2. It let its emotional and dramatic moments breathe, same with all of the phase 1 movies for me. I will say though that my main criticism of TA was that there werent enough emotionally powerful moments.
It's subjective line I guess. There are things like when Iron Man falls down unconscious from the closing worm hole Hulk roars at him so he wakes up scared and then says that he hopes no one kissed him.

As I've said I understand how people can find jerked out of the mood when there's humor in a fight like in TDW. For me something like introducing Talia in TDKR is a more damaging undercutting, but it's all things that you really have to experience for yourself to say if it was good or bad.

For emotional stuff I was really fond of Michael Fassbender as Magneto in First Class. For some reason Magneto and Xavier always seems to stand out far above everyone else in every X-Men movie when it comes to acting though.

Old 11-03-2013, 09:29 AM   #140
ThePowerCosmic
You are hailing!

Quote:
The 616 Hawkeye is a troll sometimes. It also depends on the writer as well. But I think Matt Fraction's run on Hawkeye absolutely amazing though.
I haven't read it, but I don't like the artwork. Hawkeye's design is great, however.

You've seen the movie, right? If so, how was Loki's use of magic expanded from past movies?

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:31 AM   #141
ThePowerCosmic
You are hailing!

Quote:

I don't remember him saying that. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.
Go to 0:27 of this clip. Agh, I hate it.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:32 AM   #142
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:
I haven't read it, but I don't like the artwork. Hawkeye's design is great, however.

You've seen the movie, right? If so, how was Loki's use of magic expanded from past movies?
You just blew my mind. I have honestly never heard anyone say that. The thing that has been praised the most has been the art. For me it is tie. Between the art, Hawkeye and Hawkeye. Their characterization has been amazing imo.

Old 11-03-2013, 09:34 AM   #143
ThePowerCosmic
You are hailing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
You just blew my mind. I have honestly never heard anyone say that. The thing that has been praised the most has been the art. For me it is tie. Between the art, Hawkeye and Hawkeye. Their characterization has been amazing imo.
Seriously, it's been praised? I honestly can't get behind art like this.
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:36 AM   #144
TeeKay
Side-Kick

Quote:

Yeah he can shapeshift and cause his surrounds to change to whatever he likes.

Quote:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Come on he's enjoying himself :')

Old 11-03-2013, 09:39 AM   #145
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

Quote:
I don't think that's a "whoo-hoo", it's a little chuckle at how close they were to crashing. Kind of the same thing as him laughing in the frost giant battle, although that was of course more arrogant.

Old 11-03-2013, 09:43 AM   #146
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:
Seriously, it's been praised? I honestly can't get behind art like this.
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

Praised to high heaven and with good reason imo. Aja won two Eisner Awards for his work on the book. One for "Best Artist" (interior work), the other for "Best Cover Artist".

Like all great comics the art is as much a part of the storytelling as the writing. Even the stand-in artist have been great, and the Annual was terrific imo.

Old 11-03-2013, 09:46 AM   #147
TeeKay
Side-Kick

Quote:
Praised to high heaven and with good reason imo. Aja won two Eisner Award for his work on the book. One for "Best Artist" (interior work), the other for "Best Cover Artist".

Like all great comics the art is as much a part of the storytelling as the writing. Even the stand-in artist have been great, and the Annual was terrific imo.
I loved the series. So....

Old 11-03-2013, 09:49 AM   #148
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:
I loved the series. So....
Any reason to use a gif.

Old 11-03-2013, 09:53 AM   #149
TeeKay
Side-Kick

Quote:
Any reason to use a gif.
Haven't you heard? I'm the Gif master around here, so I tend to use them a lot.It's a way of expressing my emotions or how I'm feeling at the time.

Old 11-03-2013, 09:56 AM   #150
Oscorp
I hate you...so much!

Quote:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
I thought that was Loki?

Closed Thread