The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 06:14 PM   #51
theShape
Creature of Darkness

Default Re: The Batsuit Thread - Part 6

^ That looks like crap. However, the Noel suit in Arkham Origins is not ugly at all and actually looks pretty solid.

Old 11-03-2013, 06:15 PM   #52
roach
I am the night

my only issue with that costume is that big bat is gonna be dangerous when he crouches

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in today’s protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You don’t like a story? That’s fine – don’t read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
Old 11-03-2013, 06:15 PM   #53
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

LOL Regwec is so straight to his point that it's friggin' hilarious.

Old 11-03-2013, 06:29 PM   #54
roach
I am the night

i think that suit does some things right…I would lose the seams…nothing says "I am not a supernatural creature of the night" than seams.
The big bat emblem looks weird and would get in the way of most actions. I would string it an put it on the shirt.

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in today’s protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You don’t like a story? That’s fine – don’t read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
Old 11-03-2013, 06:35 PM   #55
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NosfeRomas View Post
The only protection the Tron Legacy style suits offer is protection against accidental pregnancy. They are tight like condoms and they remind me of the suit Tony Stark wears inside of his armor.

I really disagree with the whole no armor/little armor thing. Something should be there, i doubt they are going with the "mythical figure" Batman and even if they do it doesn't justify the absenece of armor. Bullets, knives, bombs come on. Its rediculous NOT to have some kind of armor.

btw i found this on devianart
Ok, with all the suits worn by Keaton up to Bale, why did you buy them as armor? They're all essentially the same thing. Some form of plastic. Same as Iron Man too. Within the context of their respective films and universes, they're armor because the films conveyed that fact in some way.

They don't even need to explain it just like they never explained why Superman's suit could take on damage in MOS. And there's always the concept of Batman not getting shot.

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
He’s much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. He’s Everyman operating on a sci–fi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Old 11-03-2013, 06:52 PM   #56
storyteller
Side-Kick

Though I think some people really don't get how strong ceramics are. They can have something like the Tron armor(not for/against it) but still be effective. The comics moreso right now emphasis that Batman is good but it's still not superhuman. Someone is going to have a pipe in their hand and he's going to need protection.

Its time to be a man..................and run away.
Old 11-03-2013, 06:53 PM   #57
roach
I am the night

Quote:
Originally Posted by storyteller View Post
Though I think some people really don't get how strong ceramics are. They can have something like the Tron armor(not for/against it) but still be effective. The comics moreso right now emphasis that Batman is good but it's still not superhuman. Someone is going to have a pipe in their hand and he's going to need protection.
if you are worried about someone with a pipe..you aren't Batman.

Old 11-03-2013, 07:54 PM   #58
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by theShape View Post
^ That looks like crap. However, the Noel suit in Arkham Origins is not ugly at all and actually looks pretty solid.
No, it is.

Old 11-03-2013, 08:23 PM   #59
B:TAS
The Bat

As I've said before, batman should have some armor because it really is practical, but batman being in a big bulky suit makes no sense at all. He's a ninja for crying out loud, he's quick and stealthy, not Iron Man with a bat symbol.

Old 11-03-2013, 08:29 PM   #60
Rorschach2012
$

I don't like the idea of a cloth material. But something similar, thin, and grey should be used over top of another layer of armor underneath. That's the perfect compromise.

Old 11-03-2013, 08:36 PM   #61
The Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach2012 View Post
I don't like the idea of a cloth material. But something similar, thin, and grey should be used over top of another layer of armor underneath. That's the perfect compromise.
What would the thin grey material be if it's not cloth

Old 11-03-2013, 08:40 PM   #62
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick

Whatever Superman's suit is made of. Or Spider-Man's.

Old 11-03-2013, 08:41 PM   #63
roach
I am the night

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boy Scout View Post
Whatever Superman's suit is made of. Or Spider-Man's.
this…no need for armored plates

Old 11-03-2013, 08:42 PM   #64
Rorschach2012
$

What the boy scout said. Or even something similar to the Tron suits

Old 11-03-2013, 08:42 PM   #65
Boom
I got nothin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by B:TAS View Post
What would the thin grey material be if it's not cloth
Who knows? But it's Hollywood. Lord knows they have plenty of options besides neoprene and foam latex for the fifty-seventh time.

Old 11-03-2013, 08:47 PM   #66
Lando81
Formerly Hazmat81

Quote:
Originally Posted by NosfeRomas View Post
The only protection the Tron Legacy style suits offer is protection against accidental pregnancy. They are tight like condoms and they remind me of the suit Tony Stark wears inside of his armor.

I really disagree with the whole no armor/little armor thing. Something should be there, i doubt they are going with the "mythical figure" Batman and even if they do it doesn't justify the absenece of armor. Bullets, knives, bombs come on. Its rediculous NOT to have some kind of armor.

btw i found this on devianart

Fantastic. Would love something looking like this.

Old 11-03-2013, 09:07 PM   #67
TheBat812
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrilla31 View Post
How is it a non existent argument? Why would Batman wear armor when he doesn't need it? That would be like you having to wear protective armor in a fight against a bunch of five year olds.

Batman doesn't need protection against bullets because he can't be hit. Armor doesn't enhance the story in any way. All it does is tediously strip the magic away from the character bit by bit in a needless attempt to try and make him more "real".

Well guess what, Batman isn't real. He's fantasy. He's a symbol. He doesn't need to be real. And more importantly, he doesn't need armor.

And you know why? Because he's Batman.
Sounds like a bunch of fanboy drivel. Let me clarify that I'm suggesting something like shikamura suggested where he has lightweight impact resistance to deflect damage, but like the idea in tdk, he's still vulnerable to straight shots and direct stabs, but it's there to deflect. Not a suit of armor. It should be a smart mix that leaves him agile but protects him from the inevitable stray bullet. The magic of batman is not that he's immune to any sort of harm, but that he's so skilled that it's almost never an issue. But to pretend nothing will ever happen to him right off the bat immediately strips away any source of tension for the audience. This is basic filmmaking and once again is a huge opportunity thematically and character wise.

Btw do they actually establish that he doesn't wear armor in the JL tv series? Not exactly a great comparison though as that batman isn't really possible in a live action film of this tone given that he routinely jumped 20 Ft in the air, haha.

Old 11-03-2013, 09:20 PM   #68
roach
I am the night

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBat812 View Post
But to pretend nothing will ever happen to him right off the bat immediately strips away any source of tension for the audience. This is basic filmmaking and once again is a huge opportunity thematically and character wise.
No it will not. If I right now go to East LA to fight the gangs in nothing but a t-shirt and jeans…..has tension been stripped? No. It has actually been increased. IMO Batman in armor strips away tension because there's no need to worry when a thug pulls a gun or a knife because we know the suit will protect him.

When I go see a Rambo movie or Lethal Weapon or James Bond….they are full of tension even though the main character isn't walking around in armor to protect them.

Old 11-03-2013, 09:22 PM   #69
Bathead
The Oldest Geek

Again, people don't seem to grasp the fact that fabric armor would offer the proper amount of protection and yet maintain the flexibility he needs to avoid the fire in the first place. Nobody is saying he shouldn't have any armor, just that it does not need to be heavy armored plate. The heavy armor would actually be more of a danger as it would slow him down and make him more of a target. One lucky shot to the face because he was a little too slow, and it would be all over.

*splat*
Old 11-03-2013, 09:31 PM   #70
The Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bathead View Post
Again, people don't seem to grasp the fact that fabric armor would offer the proper amount of protection and yet maintain the flexibility he needs to avoid the fire in the first place. Nobody is saying he shouldn't have any armor, just that it does not need to be heavy armored plate. The heavy armor would actually be more of a danger as it would slow him down and make him more of a target. One lucky shot to the face because he was a little too slow, and it would be all over.
Exactly

Old 11-03-2013, 09:35 PM   #71
TheBat812
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bathead View Post
That's actually what I am saying. They're saying he needs nothing 'because he's batman.' Unless there's been a misunderstanding of some sort. I've specifically said I'd be fine with lightweight armor like that, but it makes no sense for him to use no armor of any kind. Perhaps the use of the word armor is confusing when what I mean is simply a form of protection from stray bullets and whatnot. Not just some fabric.

Roach, I disagree, and avengers is a great example. Absolutely no tension because its obvious they are in no danger whatsoever. Your two examples do not work because those characters aren't trained ninjas specifically looking to brawl with 10-15 thugs multiple times a night, 365 days a year. You still haven't told me why Bruce as a character would purposefully decide to not wear any protection. Its completely contradictory to his character as somebody who plans everything out carefully and intelligently.

Last edited by TheBat812; 11-03-2013 at 09:44 PM.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:36 PM   #72
Batjag
Side-Kick

I'm in the "no armor- he's a ninja" camp. Here's an article about scientists working on nanotechnology fabric that will stop bullets better than kevlar and be as thin as a t-shirt:
LINK

So, just as Batman Begins described quickly how the cape could turn into wings, you just have a quick scene describing the properties of this fabric and suddenly- you can design a batsuit that gives complete, ninja-style mobility to the actor (and the stuntmen) and still lets the audience believe it's bulletproof. Problem solved.

Old 11-03-2013, 09:40 PM   #73
Boom
I got nothin'

I need to buy this. I love that blue.

Old 11-03-2013, 09:41 PM   #74
Rorschach2012
$

The face on that cowl is ugly though

Old 11-03-2013, 09:51 PM   #75
roach
I am the night

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBat812 View Post
That's actually what I am saying. They're saying he needs nothing 'because he's batman.'

Roach, I disagree, and avengers is a great example. Absolutely no tension because its obvious they are in no danger whatsoever. Your two examples do not work because those characters aren't specifically looking to brawl with 10-15 thugs multiple times a night, 365 days a year. You still haven't told me why Bruce as a character would purposefully decide to not wear any protection. Its completely contradictory to his character as somebody who plans everything out carefully and intelligently.
The reason there was no tension in Avengers had nothing to do with what the team was wearing and had everything to do with too much comedy in the film.

Because the idea behind the bat motif is that it would scare criminals so they couldn't/wouldn't take the shot. If you go back to the scene in BB on the docks. If Batman operates like that every night he'll never get shot or stabbed.

Now think about Batman but not the Nolan Batman..think of the comics character. You are a master of every form or martial arts. You like to work on the roof tops swinging in…smashing through sky lights and flipping around…speed and stealth are your allies. You want to be as light as possible. You want to be able to run and jump and fight. You want to be able to move as loosely as possible. You don't want anything hindering you. If Batman in TDK suit ever got into a situation where he needed to swim he would drown.

When we see martial arts movies from Bruce Lee and Jet Li…we see them take off their shirts…why?…cause it looks cool or it allows them to move freely.

Closed Thread