The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 10:05 PM   #76
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Batsuit Thread - Part 6

Wow. Someone in the Arrow boards suggested that the Flash should wear armor. In the same show where an archer with no powers runs around with just a piece made of leather and cloth.

Just wanted to share that.

Old 11-03-2013, 10:10 PM   #77
roach
I am the night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru View Post
Wow. Someone in the Arrow boards suggested that the Flash should wear armor. In the same show where an archer with no powers runs around with just a piece made of leather and cloth.

Just wanted to share that.
I know because I'm arguing with the person. I almost logged off.

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in today’s protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You don’t like a story? That’s fine – don’t read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
Old 11-03-2013, 10:11 PM   #78
Rorschach2012
$

I'm that person! He doesn't need it, but his cowl looks best when it looks like its made of a hard material

edit: please lol with me at the above reactions, I love comic fans. "I almost logged off" comedic gold.

Last edited by Rorschach2012; 11-03-2013 at 10:47 PM.
Old 11-03-2013, 10:22 PM   #79
roach
I am the night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach2012 View Post
I'm that person! He doesn't need it, but his cowl looks best when it looks like its made of a hard material
Why?
How do you know?
Has there been a live action Flash movie/TV without a hard material cowl?

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in today’s protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You don’t like a story? That’s fine – don’t read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
Old 11-03-2013, 10:31 PM   #80
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick

Wow. Some of you get incredibly defensive at the mere mention of armor. It was just a suggestion.

Old 11-03-2013, 10:31 PM   #81
Rorschach2012
$

Do I really need to point out that it's my opinion? From the manips I've seen, that looks best. Batman has a hardened cowl compared to the rest of his body and it looks great

Old 11-03-2013, 10:35 PM   #82
roach
I am the night

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boy Scout View Post
Wow. Some of you get incredibly defensive at the mere mention of armor. It was just a suggestion.
Because the idea of armor on some characters is silly.

Old 11-03-2013, 10:36 PM   #83
Rorschach2012
$

The Flash isn't impervious to harm when he isn't tapping into the speed force. I fail to see how armor would be completely unused on Flash

Old 11-03-2013, 10:38 PM   #84
Skrilla31
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBat812 View Post
The magic of batman is not that he's immune to any sort of harm, but that he's so skilled that it's almost never an issue.
Right, and you wanna strip him of that magic. Because if he wears armor "just in case", then obviously he's NOT skilled enough.

Quote:
But to pretend nothing will ever happen to him right off the bat immediately strips away any source of tension for the audience. This is basic filmmaking and once again is a huge opportunity thematically and character wise.
Newsflash, nothing does ever happen to him. Even in Nolan's movies when Batman was at his absolute most vulnerable position after being beaten by Bane... do you think there's a single person in the theater who doesn't know that Batman is gonna beat him in the end? Who cares.

Bullets don't pose danger to Batman. Super villains and their dastardly plots may, but not bullets. No one has ever read a Batman comic, or watched a Batman cartoon, or watched a Batman movie... and thought to themselves, "Uh oh! Those guys have guns! What's Batman gonna do!?!?"

And you know why? Because everyone knows when you shoot at Batman you hit nothing but air. That is what makes him Batman. That is what drew you in as a kid. That is why he's a SUPER hero.

Old 11-03-2013, 10:46 PM   #85
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach View Post
Because the idea of armor on some characters is silly.
That doesn't mean you need to get defensive every time it's brought up. I don't think Flash particularly needs armor, but I don't see why the very idea of his suit having a bit of it here and there elicits such a negative reaction.

The Flash isn't impervious to harm. If Captain Cold is able to make him slip and fall, he'll end up hitting the ground at maybe hundreds of miles per hour. If Professor Zoom punches him, he'll do it at a speed that would do a lot - and I do mean a lot - of damage. In those situations, having a bit of armor to absorb some of the impact would be a good thing.

Again: I'm not saying he needs it - I think he looks better without it - but I don't think it goes against the character to have it.

Old 11-03-2013, 10:49 PM   #86
Rorschach2012
$

Quote:
That doesn't mean you need to get defensive every time it's brought up. I don't think Flash particularly needs armor, but I don't see why the very idea of his suit having a bit of it here and there elicits such a negative reaction.

The Flash isn't impervious to harm. If Captain Cold is able to make him slip and fall, he'll end up hitting the ground at maybe hundreds of miles per hour. If Professor Zoom punches him, he'll do it at a speed that would do a lot - and I do mean a lot - of damage. In those situations, having a bit of armor to absorb some of the impact would be a good thing.

Again: I'm not saying he needs it - I think he looks better without it - but I don't think it goes against the character to have it.

Agreed with everything you're saying. the suit has the potential to look awesome without any armor on it, look at Spider Man for example, but if they do go that route, it will definitely look a lot like the Spider Man suit. Mixing in thin and very light weight armor for his cowl and over certain areas on his suit would look awesome.

Old 11-03-2013, 10:50 PM   #87
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrilla31 View Post
Right, and you wanna strip him of that magic. Because if he wears armor "just in case", then obviously he's NOT skilled enough.
Or he's not a moron. Being prepared for unlikely situations is pretty much what Batman's all about. Assuming the fabric he wears isn't bulletproof (which it should be), it makes perfect sense for him to wear a bit of armor to protect himself on the off-chance someone gets lucky. We know he won't get hit, but he doesn't, and he should be prepared for that scanrio.

Quote:
Newsflash, nothing does ever happen to him.
That has everything to do with the fact that he's a fictional character and nothing to do with his outfit. He could go out in just boxers and he'd be just fine. Ditto for ridiculously heavy armor.

Old 11-03-2013, 10:54 PM   #88
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach2012 View Post
Agreed with everything you're saying. the suit has the potential to look awesome without any armor on it, look at Spider Man for example, but if they do go that route, it will definitely look a lot like the Spider Man suit. Mixing in thin and very light weight armor for his cowl and over certain areas on his suit would look awesome.
Agreed. And depending on how he gets the suit, it might not even be his fault if it's a little bit armored.

Old 11-03-2013, 11:00 PM   #89
Bathead
The Oldest Geek

Again, NO-ONE is asking for just plain fabric. All I and others are saying is all he needs is the bullet and knife proof fabric armor that has the appearance of plain cloth and the same protection as Kevlar (and yes, that's a real thing), and maybe perhaps some kind of special thin padding underneath to deal with blunt force trauma. He does not need the armor like in Nolan's movies, or in Arkham : Origins (which is only meant to be his first crude attempts art assembling a protective suit).

*splat*
Old 11-03-2013, 11:02 PM   #90
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick

Yes. I know.

Old 11-03-2013, 11:03 PM   #91
roach
I am the night

Quote:

and how many times has this happened?
I mean Spider-man isn't impervious to damage…does he need armor too?

Old 11-03-2013, 11:04 PM   #92
Rorschach2012
$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bathead View Post
Again, NO-ONE is asking for just plain fabric. All I and others are saying is all he needs is the bullet and knife proof fabric armor that has the appearance of plain cloth and the same protection as Kevlar (and yes, that's a real thing), and maybe perhaps some kind of special thin padding underneath to deal with blunt force trauma. He does not need the armor like in Nolan's movies, or in Arkham : Origins (which is only meant to be his first crude attempts art assembling a protective suit).
I don't know who you were responding to. But everything you said is common knowledge around here.

Old 11-03-2013, 11:06 PM   #93
Bathead
The Oldest Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom View Post
I need to buy this. I love that blue.

I hope to be getting this when it comes out. Too bad it won't be until April. Fortunately I have their sixth scale Joker on it's way to me now, should get it Thursday!

*splat*
Old 11-03-2013, 11:06 PM   #94
Rorschach2012
$

Quote:
Boy Scout and I have both posted reasonable reasons for Flash to use armor. Neither of us are saying he needs it, but just that it wouldn't be out of character for him to wear it, and it wouldn't look horrible.

I don't know why you want to keep it going, we've got our opinions on why it could work, shared them, you shared yours, and now we're at a standstill. Neither side is going to convince the other. Move along, or take it to the Barry Allen thread where this conversation belongs

Old 11-03-2013, 11:08 PM   #95
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick

Quote:
How many times has he been punched at super speed? Several times, I'm assuming, considering one of his enemies has super speed and hates him.

How many times has he slipped and fallen? I'm not sure, but I remember it happening once or twice on Young Justice and I believe it happened on Justice League as well.

We know this stuff might not happen, but he doesn't, because he isn't aware that he's a fictional character, and might think it smart to protect himself. Or, depending on how he gets the suit, the protection might not be something he chose.

Again: my point isn't that he should have armor; it's that if he did have it, it would make sense.

Quote:
Are we talking about Spider-Man?

Old 11-03-2013, 11:37 PM   #96
TheBat812
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bathead View Post
It certainly isn't being articulated that way in this thread. Roach? Skrilla? Is this something you're okay with? Because this is exactly what I've been arguing for, in which case there has been a simple misunderstanding. But that certainly hasn't been communicated.

Old 11-03-2013, 11:43 PM   #97
roach
I am the night

Quote:
It certainly isn't being articulated that way in this thread. Roach? Skrilla? Is this something you're okay with? Because this is exactly what I've been arguing for, in which case there has been a simple misunderstanding. But that certainly hasn't been communicated.
im in favor of something as thin as the MOS suit.

Old 11-03-2013, 11:45 PM   #98
TheBat812
Side-Kick

Quote:
im in favor of something as thin as the MOS suit.
Even if it is a protective material?

Old 11-03-2013, 11:47 PM   #99
Skrilla31
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrilla31 View Post
Eh I think they kind of are. I'm not against the idea of Batman maybe having to wear some type of bulletproof material under his fabric but the idea of him going all out in a full blown armored suit undermines who and what he is.

Old 11-03-2013, 11:48 PM   #100
roach
I am the night

Quote:
Even if it is a protective material?
fine…i'll compromise on this…though I believe it goes against the character…but no armor on the Flash…none

Closed Thread