The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Thor > Thor: The Dark World

Old 11-11-2013, 06:28 AM   #1
Shazam
Side-Kick

Default Shouldnt Thor's Hammer be Able To Do more??

Up to this point, it only seems to be able to project lightning and hit stuff hard......

But shouldnt it be able to open dimensional portals?

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-GhFk6MDUyY...600/Av95-7.jpg

Project mystic energy force?

http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/o...rptionv222.jpg

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources...irpowers3b.jpg

Repel objects by whirling at super speed?
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-i5sM1NArid...hor%2Bspin.jpg

Transport himself to the Rainbow Bridge without help or assistance?
http://couchlocked.com/wp-content/up.../whotreads.png

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources...hors-hammer/2/

Last edited by Shazam; 11-11-2013 at 06:38 AM.
Shazam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 06:31 AM   #2
Shazam
Side-Kick

Default Re: Shouldnt Thor's Hammer be Able To Do more??

Not trying to nit pick...........but has anyone else noticed this lack of diversity?

Old 11-11-2013, 06:36 AM   #3
Savage
Earth Rocker

I have but I figured that's their way of making Heimdall actually serve a purpose. Simplifying things since Thor is already ridiculously powerful.

"Why are you trying to kill my kid?! You know what? I don't care. You got some beef with him or me? Whatever. You trying to start a rogues gallery of some sort? I ain't got half as much patience as Batman or The Flash. If he dies...so do you." - Green Arrow
Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 06:39 AM   #4
Shazam
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage View Post
I have but I figured that's their way of making Heimdall actually serve a purpose. Simplifying things since Thor is already ridiculously powerful.
But I listed the other things beside transport to Asgard.......I mean, they don't short cut Superman's powers.....or even spiderman.....

I want them to explore all the hammer's power......

Old 11-11-2013, 06:55 AM   #5
Savage
Earth Rocker

Odin seems to be the only one able to expel mystic force energy and Thor used the hammer to shield himself from Chitauri blasts in Avengers (and fired rocks at Frost Giants by spinning it in his first movie). Superman and Spider-man don't have to share the screen with other super beings aside from their villains. Thor is part of an entire race of super beings who would not seem particularly special if Thor could do what they do. Odin fires energy from his staff, Heimdall is in charge of travel/teleportation through the realms, Thor gets weather control, flight, and not to mention a massive strength boost even by Asgardian standards from Mjolnir (and I guess I can count firing lightning FROM his hammer as a separate ability).

"Why are you trying to kill my kid?! You know what? I don't care. You got some beef with him or me? Whatever. You trying to start a rogues gallery of some sort? I ain't got half as much patience as Batman or The Flash. If he dies...so do you." - Green Arrow
Old 11-11-2013, 09:07 AM   #6
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

I'm sure there's got to be an age level you reach to learn certain things too.
I was certain Thor would gain more powers when becoming king but that never happens.

....to every King.

Coulson, "If the details of this gets out, the operation would be complimized"

Vartha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:19 AM   #7
Shazam
Side-Kick

Quote:
Odin seems to be the only one able to expel mystic force energy and Thor used the hammer to shield himself from Chitauri blasts in Avengers (and fired rocks at Frost Giants by spinning it in his first movie). Superman and Spider-man don't have to share the screen with other super beings aside from their villains. Thor is part of an entire race of super beings who would not seem particularly special if Thor could do what they do. Odin fires energy from his staff, Heimdall is in charge of travel/teleportation through the realms, Thor gets weather control, flight, and not to mention a massive strength boost even by Asgardian standards from Mjolnir (and I guess I can count firing lightning FROM his hammer as a separate ability).
I don't think sharing the screen with others should cause them to take Thor down a peg......I guarantee that we would still see Superman's full array of powers used in the right context.

That hammer can do more than shoot lightning and fly......Also Heimdall doesnt even have this much of a role in Thor comics.

Anyway.......how about that Stan Lee cameo?? He gets better and better doesn't he?? LOL

Old 11-11-2013, 09:26 AM   #8
TheHeatKitchen
Side-Kick

I'm thinking it's an experience thing. Odin can do almost anything without even thinking about it. Towards the end of Thor 3, when Odin dies and Thor is named King of Asgard, you'll see him learn more.

And didn't he learn those abilities over years in the comics? This is only his third film, of 6. Patience my friend. He'll probably need them when he fights Thanos, right?

TheHeatKitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:35 AM   #9
horacethegrey
Side-Kick

I'm kind of glad they limited Mjolnir''s abilities in the movies. The only things the hammer needs to do (aside from smacking things) is to come back to Thor's hand after being thrown, command the weather, and enable Thor to fly. Having him travel between worlds using Mjolnir is a mite too powerful, and disregards the necessity of the Bifrost. Travel between the Nine Realms should not be an easy thing for Thor.

horacethegrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 11:12 AM   #10
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Honestly, the movies don't need Mjolnir to be the full swiss army plot device it is in the comics.

I do admit, I'd like to see Odin show a little more power, though.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 02:07 PM   #11
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

I'd like to see some energy manipulation like the God Blast and possibly a force field of some sort but that's about it.

I hope he brings out atleast one new ability in AU and another in Thor 3, I'm dying to see Warrior's madness as well.

Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
BigThor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 02:12 PM   #12
Savage
Earth Rocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
I don't think sharing the screen with others should cause them to take Thor down a peg......I guarantee that we would still see Superman's full array of powers used in the right context.

That hammer can do more than shoot lightning and fly......Also Heimdall doesnt even have this much of a role in Thor comics.

Anyway.......how about that Stan Lee cameo?? He gets better and better doesn't he?? LOL
Yeah, this Stan Lee cameo might be my favorite one. I love that guy.

As for Heindall, you're right. He does not have much of a role in the comics. It's why I'm happy about his beefed up one here. If Thor could travel between realms on his own destroying the bifrost would have meant squat and Heimdall's importance would have been lessened. He probably wouldn't even have had lines and that would just be a shame since Idris Elba and Heimdall are both awesome.

I'm pretty glad Thor isn't overpowered. That is in fact one of the problems people have with guys like Superman. I like seeing even someone like Thor be vulnerable from time to time (losing his hammer and requiring use of the train for instance).

Old 11-11-2013, 02:16 PM   #13
C. Lee
I'm not old, I'm ancient
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Not trying to nit pick...........but has anyone else noticed this lack of diversity?
Yep...it doesn't tap dance or paint pictures either....Hammer I am disappoint!!!!!

C. Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 03:19 PM   #14
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Lee View Post
Yep...it doesn't tap dance or paint pictures either....Hammer I am disappoint!!!!!
Hammer dances!!!!

Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 04:13 PM   #15
Shazam
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThor View Post
I'd like to see some energy manipulation like the God Blast and possibly a force field of some sort but that's about it.

I hope he brings out atleast one new ability in AU and another in Thor 3, I'm dying to see Warrior's madness as well.

oooooh that would be asking for too much!! He'd be waaaaay too powerful!

Old 11-11-2013, 05:26 PM   #16
Savage
Earth Rocker

I think you've misconstrued the arguments being made here. It's not about being too powerful. It's about redundancy. Thor's powerset in the comics tends to make other characters redundant.

That doesn't make those powers any less awesome. It's just about making other characters pointless.

Old 11-11-2013, 05:53 PM   #17
Warhammer
Half Monk, Half Hitman

The real question isn't shouldn't Mjolnir be able to do more. The real question is, shouldn't Thor be able to do more without Mjolnir?

Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 06:47 PM   #18
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
oooooh that would be asking for too much!! He'd be waaaaay too powerful!

Not really, they could just be something he does once or twice.

Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
BigThor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:09 PM   #19
Shazam
Side-Kick

Quote:
I think you've misconstrued the arguments being made here. It's not about being too powerful. It's about redundancy. Thor's powerset in the comics tends to make other characters redundant.

That doesn't make those powers any less awesome. It's just about making other characters pointless.
I think that's a matter of opinion or preference....

I Guess the comics always found a way for the other Avengers to not be "redundant" for over 50 years.....and they never diminished Thor along the way.
I guess I just don't get the new "comics" vs "movie" rules.....He's opened portals for he and his fellow Avengers to travel through before and none worse for the wear. Ironman has his techno niche, Cap kept his strategy niche, etc.....

I don't see redundancy....I see variety. The whole point of the Avengers is facing threats too big for one hero to handle.....even Thor needs a hand sometimes.

http://x.annihil.us/u/prod/marvel/i/...b03/detail.jpg
Read this issue sometime....it makes my point....even Thor couldn't take out Count Nefaria. It was the Vision who figured it out.

Last edited by Shazam; 11-11-2013 at 07:23 PM.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:12 PM   #20
Shazam
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThor View Post
Not really, they could just be something he does once or twice.
I was being sarcastic.......joking.....

I would love to see a force field or god force blast.......that's what I've talking about.

Old 11-11-2013, 07:14 PM   #21
Shazam
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
The real question isn't shouldn't Mjolnir be able to do more. The real question is, shouldn't Thor be able to do more without Mjolnir?
What?? Besides be super strong and durable...it's really all in the hammer. Would have been nice to see Thor rip off a chuck of boulder like Kurse did and throw it!

Old 11-11-2013, 07:47 PM   #22
ares834
Side-Kick

Quote:
Up to this point, it only seems to be able to project lightning and hit stuff hard......

But shouldnt it be able to open dimensional portals?

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-GhFk6MDUyY...600/Av95-7.jpg

Project mystic energy force?

http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/o...rptionv222.jpg

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources...irpowers3b.jpg

Repel objects by whirling at super speed?
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-i5sM1NArid...hor%2Bspin.jpg

Transport himself to the Rainbow Bridge without help or assistance?
http://couchlocked.com/wp-content/up.../whotreads.png

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources...hors-hammer/2/
While he can do these things in the comic, he hardly ever uses them. In truth, in the comics he generally uses it mainly for smashing, throwing, conjuring lightning/storms, and for absorbing energy. The only one of those he doesn't do in the movies is using Mjolnir to absorb an enemy's energy blast although he has used it to deflect such attacks.

I'm fine with the limiting his powers. Otherwise, to often, it becomes why doesn't he use such and such power at such and such time.

Last edited by ares834; 11-11-2013 at 07:51 PM.
ares834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:04 PM   #23
Warhammer
Half Monk, Half Hitman

Quote:
What?? Besides be super strong and durable...it's really all in the hammer. Would have been nice to see Thor rip off a chuck of boulder like Kurse did and throw it!
I wish we could see a few feats of strength. He's strength is comparable to the Hulk.

Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 11:43 PM   #24
Savage
Earth Rocker

Quote:
I think that's a matter of opinion or preference....

I Guess the comics always found a way for the other Avengers to not be "redundant" for over 50 years.....and they never diminished Thor along the way.
I guess I just don't get the new "comics" vs "movie" rules.....He's opened portals for he and his fellow Avengers to travel through before and none worse for the wear. Ironman has his techno niche, Cap kept his strategy niche, etc.....

I don't see redundancy....I see variety. The whole point of the Avengers is facing threats too big for one hero to handle.....even Thor needs a hand sometimes.

http://x.annihil.us/u/prod/marvel/i/...b03/detail.jpg
Read this issue sometime....it makes my point....even Thor couldn't take out Count Nefaria. It was the Vision who figured it out.
While I agree from an Avengers standpoint, that does not really work in a solo Thor movie. Not if you want to make a character like Heimdall important, anyway. I like that in the movie universe everybody has their purpose and things like traveling realms is difficult and a big deal. It creates more drama and is better than "Mjolnir can do that too".

As cool as Thor spinning his hammer and teleporting is, I find it cooler that he calls on the all seeing Heimdall to move him around. I think we're just going to always differ on this one so I'll just agree to disagree. I like the relatively balanced Asgardians of the movies.

Old 11-12-2013, 07:51 AM   #25
Shazam
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
I wish we could see a few feats of strength. He's strength is comparable to the Hulk.
Agreed