The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Thor > Thor: The Dark World

Closed Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 03:52 PM   #301
BoredGuy
Killing Time

Default Re: Thor 2 Dark World news, speculation and pictures possible Spoilers - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Sexton View Post
Since I was a part of that discussion with you guys I'm still dying to know one thing that I never quite understood when you guys would argue your point ......

In this movie you have the sympathetic figure in Loki who is also an antagonist. He has caused atrocities, yet the audience has developed a relationship with him because of the nature of his struggle (i.e. where he came from and being adopted).

Let's just say they give Malekith his scenes. They kept everything Taylor shot ..... all the warming stuff with his kids. We then see Bor slaughter them (a God from what's considered the the "protectors" of the 9 Realms). On it's face that kind of story sounds interesting no doubt, but doesn't that all of the sudden completely change the role of the Asgardians in the MCU? At the same time, doesn't that also make Malekith a sympathetic figure? He has a right for revenge.

So let's think about that for a second. You change the whole dynamic of the Asgardians and you have not one but TWO sympathetic villains. How does that work on screen exactly? I'm not saying it wouldn't be cool to get more of a backstory with Mal. I've gone on record saying I've wanted more out of villains, particularly Red Skull.

But in terms of this movie, I don't know how they properly execute that. It changes the dynamic. You're supposed to be sympathetic to your protaganists (The Asgardians) cause and they've managed to create that sympathy with Loki too ......... but adding yet another one in this film?

That is just my theory. I can't wait to watch the film tomorrow night to further assess.

I understand your points there, but I don't think there's some sort of "sympathy limit" when it comes to films

My favorite villains are always the ones with an understandable reason for what theyre doing, and many people agree.

Showing what Bor had done to Malekith doesn't make Thor any less sympathetic. And he is the protagonist, not The Asgardians. In myth and in the comics, it's well known that the Asgardians, and particularly Odin and Bor, have done some unseemly and underhanded things.

If anything, I think it makes Thor an even better hero, that he doesn't give in to the pettiness and the "I'm the King!" mentality.

So just because Loki is a sympathetic figure, that doesn't mean Malekith's backstory and relationships can't be fleshed out a bit more, especially when the biggest criticism we've heard of the film so far is that Malekith is underdeveloped. So my question for you Rock is, I guess, would adding 5 minutes of his story really hurt the film that much??

All that said, I friggin love Thor, and I'm still hopeful I will enjoy the hell out of the movie.

Last edited by BoredGuy; 11-07-2013 at 03:56 PM.
Old 11-07-2013, 03:55 PM   #302
Crimson King
Superhero Novelista

Default Re: Thor 2 Dark World news, speculation and pictures possible Spoilers - - -

I'm leaving soon to grab some dinner before heading to the 8pm showing. SO EXCITE.

Old 11-07-2013, 04:16 PM   #303
divan
Side-Kick

Yeah, Odin isn't a nice person in the final cut either (he's a racist and classist ruler who couldn't care less about the lifes of other species, or his own soldiers for that matter), so showing Bor being antagonistic wouldn't have affected our perception of Asgardian monarchy.

Old 11-07-2013, 04:20 PM   #304
TeeKay
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThor View Post
For anyone who's seen the film how much of Thor and Malekith's fight was shown in that new clip?
Quite a bit actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post
That bit cracked me up, misplaced or not. Eccleston's all "ohhh...OHHH...AHHHH!"
I died when that part came up.

Quote:
I didn't see but I sure can't wait for it to be the next "whatever" line during IM3's final battle, fans are going chew it up and spit it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson King View Post
I'm leaving soon to grab some dinner before heading to the 8pm showing. SO EXCITE.
Have fun.

Old 11-07-2013, 04:22 PM   #305
Feenix
Formerly CosmicPinchy

Quote:

I'm watching at 8 as well. Mountain time. Still got 5.5 hours left Gonna be first in line!

Old 11-07-2013, 04:31 PM   #306
TheFBI
Side-Kick

I bought my tickets yesterday for a 830 PM showing. Only 5 hours left!

Old 11-07-2013, 04:49 PM   #307
nefarious_e
Death's BFF

Seeing it at 8 as well. I have been looking forward to this film for so long. I was in South Africa for eight weeks for school and when I returned last month it was like, 'well at least I have Thor to look forward too".

Old 11-07-2013, 04:49 PM   #308
warriorking
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFBI View Post
I bought my tickets yesterday for a 830 PM showing. Only 5 hours left!
Getting ready to leave work and grab a meal with my brother, a little over 3 and a half hours for us...

Old 11-07-2013, 05:02 PM   #309
Marvolo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Sexton View Post
Since I was a part of that discussion with you guys I'm still dying to know one thing that I never quite understood when you guys would argue your point ......

In this movie you have the sympathetic figure in Loki who is also an antagonist. He has caused atrocities, yet the audience has developed a relationship with him because of the nature of his struggle (i.e. where he came from and being adopted).

Let's just say they give Malekith his scenes. They kept everything Taylor shot ..... all the warming stuff with his kids. We then see Bor slaughter them (a God from what's considered the the "protectors" of the 9 Realms). On it's face that kind of story sounds interesting no doubt, but doesn't that all of the sudden completely change the role of the Asgardians in the MCU? At the same time, doesn't that also make Malekith a sympathetic figure? He has a right for revenge.

So let's think about that for a second. You change the whole dynamic of the Asgardians and you have not one but TWO sympathetic villains. How does that work on screen exactly? I'm not saying it wouldn't be cool to get more of a backstory with Mal. I've gone on record saying I've wanted more out of villains, particularly Red Skull.

But in terms of this movie, I don't know how they properly execute that. It changes the dynamic. You're supposed to be sympathetic to your protaganists (The Asgardians) cause and they've managed to create that sympathy with Loki too ......... but adding yet another one in this film?

That is just my theory. I can't wait to watch the film tomorrow night to further assess.
Yes, it does change things and for the better. Marvel would do well to inject some moral ambiguity into their characters and races. The Asgardians don't all have to be shining beacons of justice and morals. Show me some grey morals. Some questionable actions. Ya know? Make them a little more "real" and a little less cookie cutter. And i mean more than just Loki. He isnt even asgardian and i know he isnt the only bad or questionable person in asgard. I would have loved for them to turn things their head. A "justified" villain and Thor having to struggle with the fact his grandfather was a heartless bastard and his people aren't quite as good as he once thought.

H.E.

Last edited by Marvolo; 11-07-2013 at 05:09 PM.
Old 11-07-2013, 05:20 PM   #310
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

Quote:
]
Have Fun!

Old 11-07-2013, 05:34 PM   #311
MahvelBaby!
Side-Kick

@ millers ale house getting some drinks. ... then thor at 8:00!

Old 11-07-2013, 05:35 PM   #312
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Awwww yeahhhhhhh

Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
Old 11-07-2013, 05:38 PM   #313
Crimson King
Superhero Novelista

Quote:
Originally Posted by MahvelBaby! View Post
@ millers ale house getting some drinks. ... then thor at 8:00!
@ Carolina Ale House, also getting some drinks. Drink twins!

Old 11-07-2013, 05:44 PM   #314
Marvolo
Side-Kick

I'm watching it tomorrow evening!

Old 11-07-2013, 05:48 PM   #315
MahvelBaby!
Side-Kick

Quote:
@ Carolina Ale House, also getting some drinks. Drink twins!
Cheers!!!!!!!

Old 11-07-2013, 06:01 PM   #316
nefarious_e
Death's BFF

Haha, I think I am equally excited to finally be able to read all the spoiler threads that I have been avoiding until seeing the film.

Old 11-07-2013, 06:22 PM   #317
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvolo View Post
I'm watching it tomorrow evening!
Same here, I'm in that camp with you.

Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
Old 11-07-2013, 06:42 PM   #318
Marvolo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Same here, I'm in that camp with you.
Won't be long and we'll be getting our Thor fix! Can't wait for all of us to be able to dicuss it...and nitpick and whine and bicker and fight. Nah I'm just pickin.

H.E.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:51 PM   #319
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Go see Thor 2 or watch Oregon/Stanford tonight what do

Old 11-07-2013, 06:57 PM   #320
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

Turn on the DVR and go see Thor 2!

Old 11-07-2013, 06:58 PM   #321
Marvolo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
Go see Thor 2 or watch Oregon/Stanford tonight what do
DVR oregon/stanford and watch thor 2. Or just say to hell woth oregon/stanford.

H.E.
Old 11-07-2013, 07:00 PM   #322
hitmanyr2k
Resident Lurker

The wife and I are heading out to see it now. As someone who's indifferent to the Thor character and wasn't all that excited about the first movie I'm kind of hyped for this one.

Old 11-07-2013, 07:04 PM   #323
A Necessary Evil
#Fannibal

1 more hour to go

Raimi or not, it's absolutely hilarious how much Sony realizes they screwed the pooch.
Old 11-07-2013, 07:07 PM   #324
eddy
Side-Kick

Just bought my tickets for 8.

AVENGERS ASSEMBLE.
Old 11-07-2013, 07:07 PM   #325
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

Ther should be a prretty huge increase in DVR activity tonight.

Closed Thread