The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Thor > Thor: The Dark World

Closed Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 11:07 PM   #826
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Default Re: Thor 2 Dark World news, speculation and pictures possible Spoilers - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by antsman41 View Post
Why is Marvel scared to do Thor's helmet?
Because L'Oreal Th'Oreal wouldn't get to advertise and promote those wonderful golden tresses.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 11-20-2013, 12:09 AM   #827
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Default Re: Thor 2 Dark World news, speculation and pictures possible Spoilers - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by antsman41 View Post
Why is Marvel scared to do Thor's helmet?
Because it's the helmet that Thor deserves, but not the one that he needs right now. So they'll hide it. Because it can take it. Shrouded by the Odin Force....The Helmet!

Old 11-20-2013, 12:19 AM   #828
Moonwing
Side-Kick

"We thought the movie was about whether they got together or not. I think it came down shockingly late in the process that it felt sort of implicit that they were going to be together." I know it! Sooo goes every one who was saying "Thor/Jane thing was intended as an end game from the start!" in reality it`s another afterthought that was done for gods-know-why reason, like many things in this movie.

Old 11-20-2013, 12:51 AM   #829
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Well, I doubt they'll kill off Jane at this point; or at least until someone else plays the character within the same canon.

Though I wonder as to what they'll have for Jane in terms of material now that they've already explored the concept of her coming into contact with Asgard and other stuff.

Also, anyone else enjoy on how many Thor references we had in our recent AOS episode? Did anyone else understand what Coulson meant that Thor was off the grid? Shouldn't he be on Earth at that point, with Jane? Which I would assume would be easy to find.

Old 11-20-2013, 01:21 AM   #830
Moonwing
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
Well, I doubt they'll kill off Jane at this point; or at least until someone else plays the character within the same canon.

Though I wonder as to what they'll have for Jane in terms of material now that they've already explored the concept of her coming into contact with Asgard and other stuff.

Also, anyone else enjoy on how many Thor references we had in our recent AOS episode? Did anyone else understand what Coulson meant that Thor was off the grid? Shouldn't he be on Earth at that point, with Jane? Which I would assume would be easy to find.
Her role is a simple one - connection to earth - they do not know how establish it to Thor without her. They will not bring his half-elder-god heritage in MCU so why would he risk his life for some back end world? The one simple answer- he have woman here. It`s weak (like why don`t he just bring her to his, advanced world and be done with earth) and uncreative (been done 1000 times already)-but thats what we got. Yehhh, they would not kill Jane but I doubt that she will play important role again, they may yet break up in third movie (I have a hope, yep, but to understand that you don't belong together you should spend time with them) thought as she would not be needed any more as his ties with earth will be established in AoU.

Yep I didn't understand this thing in AoS too. He supposed to be on Earth and Darcy supposed to have shield connection-but I guess those who thought he would be only on earth with Jane decided this thing prematurely.

Old 11-20-2013, 01:30 AM   #831
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwing View Post
Her role is a simple one - connection to earth - they do not know how establish it to Thor without her. They will not bring his half-elder-god heritage in MCU so why would he risk his life for some back end world? The one simple answer- he have woman here. It`s weak (like why don`t he just bring her to his, advanced world and be done with earth) and uncreative (been done 1000 times already)-but thats what we got. Yehhh, they would not kill Jane but I doubt that she will play important role again, they may yet break up in third movie (I have a hope, yep, but to understand that you don't belong together you should spend time with them) thought as she would not be needed any more as his ties with earth will be established in AoU.

Yep I didn't understand this thing in AoS too. He supposed to be on Earth and Darcy supposed to have shield connection-but I guess those who thought he would be only on earth with Jane decided this thing prematurely.
Yeah, that really doesn't leave Portman that much to work with as Jane. Unless the next film requires her knowledge of science to help figure out traces of the actual plot, I don't see her being anything more than a simple love interest for Thor.

I really do hope that Thor doesn't know that Coulson is still alive at the moment. I'd feel like we'd be cheated out of a good acting scene from Hemsworth is showing his reaction on learning that Coulson is alive considering that Thor was there when Coulson was stabbed by Loki.

I have several theories as to why Thor might be considered "off the grid" by Fury.

1. By the time the events of tonight's episode of AOS picks up, Thor is still recuperating from having fought with Malekith. I mean didn't one of the deleted scenes that you mention state that Thor was unconscious for several days and was sleeping at Jane's place?

2. Thor was at Asgard talking with "Odin" while the events of this episode was taking place. He was gone for at least 2 days.

3. Thor is already back on Earth and enjoying his version of "Tahiti" with Jane.

Old 11-20-2013, 01:45 AM   #832
Moonwing
Side-Kick

Quote:
Yeah, that really doesn't leave Portman that much to work with as Jane. Unless the next film requires her knowledge of science to help figure out traces of the actual plot, I don't see her being anything more than a simple love interest for Thor.

I really do hope that Thor doesn't know that Coulson is still alive at the moment. I'd feel like we'd be cheated out of a good acting scene from Hemsworth is showing his reaction on learning that Coulson is alive considering that Thor was there when Coulson was stabbed by Loki.

I have several theories as to why Thor might be considered "off the grid" by Fury.

1. By the time the events of tonight's episode of AOS picks up, Thor is still recuperating from having fought with Malekith. I mean didn't one of the deleted scenes that you mention state that Thor was unconscious for several days and was sleeping at Jane's place?

2. Thor was at Asgard talking with "Odin" while the events of this episode was taking place. He was gone for at least 2 days.

3. Thor is already back on Earth and enjoying his version of "Tahiti" with Jane.
Jane associated with "good" in his life and connection to earth while Loki is "bad" in his life and connection to Asgard so I guess thats how they will roll. So making her immortal and asgardian (impossible but some hope for it) will destroy this duality so it`s out of question as is making him mortal (A3 on horizon so his powers needed) -so she will be just love interest from now one.

All your variants are possible but I will go with the second as most logical.

Old 11-20-2013, 02:24 AM   #833
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwing View Post
Jane associated with "good" in his life and connection to earth while Loki is "bad" in his life and connection to Asgard so I guess thats how they will roll. So making her immortal and asgardian (impossible but some hope for it) will destroy this duality so it`s out of question as is making him mortal (A3 on horizon so his powers needed) -so she will be just love interest from now one.

All your variants are possible but I will go with the second as most logical.
It does also make me wonder though. The impression that I got from the episode of AOS was that Fury always had a means of contacting Thor before, since when Coulson came back from his off-screen briefing with Fury about getting in touch with Thor, Fury said that he couldn't find Thor due to him being off grid....but prior to Thor even coming back to Earth, there's no way that Fury could contact Thor anyway, so it just makes my head scratch.lol

On another note, it was funny to see that Thor's looks have not gone unnoticed by some of the other female characters within the MCU.

Old 11-20-2013, 02:53 AM   #834
Human Torch
Mandatory Fun

I took it that Thor returned in the "easter egg" for a quick reunion with Jane.(To keep himself from getting slapped repeatedly for being away too long.) but I wasn't under the impression he would be staying long.

Probably only long enough to collect that Frost Giant's beast.

Old 11-20-2013, 03:09 AM   #835
Moonwing
Side-Kick

Quote:
It does also make me wonder though. The impression that I got from the episode of AOS was that Fury always had a means of contacting Thor before, since when Coulson came back from his off-screen briefing with Fury about getting in touch with Thor, Fury said that he couldn't find Thor due to him being off grid....but prior to Thor even coming back to Earth, there's no way that Fury could contact Thor anyway, so it just makes my head scratch.lol

On another note, it was funny to see that Thor's looks have not gone unnoticed by some of the other female characters within the MCU.
Maybe Fury got his mobile lol?=). I would preferred for Sif or Amora to be the "devil" on his shoulder as a Jane`s "angel' counterpart instead of Loki but I guess slash fan base is happy with marvel course.

And females yep, and they have a reason because well it`s a part of his character like if woman is wiling he will sleep with her without second thought. MCU may not have this aspect of his character to be clearly seen because of dis being family friendly but some of it is there. Like the lady in the subway, he was clearly pleased with her reaction.

Old 11-20-2013, 04:00 AM   #836
ThePowerCosmic
You are hailing!

Quote:
Oh and another thing, seeing as how Coulson and his team were at Greenwich cleaning up the mess made by Thor's battle with Malekith, I'm assuming then that the mess that takes place in "Winter Soldier" with Shield's infrastructure hasn't occurred yet, meaning that it's likely that Captain America and Black Widow weren't being chased after by the Winter Soldier and Alexander Pierce.

I get that the two would have several missions, but it's just that you'd think with the worlds in the balance, that they would drop what they were doing if it were possible in order to take care of the bigger priority.

I'm not saying that this thing ruined the film for me of course, it's just that I wouldn't mind being given some legitimate excuse as to why no one ever bothers to do the common sense thing at times when it comes to calling for aid if it was possible.
If Cap and Widow were off doing a mission to stop HYDRA from detonating a bomb that could destroy the planet,they wouldn't suddenly stop their mission to help Thor. Everyone's tasks are important. You guys can't spend your time wondering where the other heroes are during these solos. It gets tiring and redundant. Like the comics, they have their own stories of great importance and extreme danger. Just assume that they're busy, because they probably are. Don't expect explanations for every solo movie. That's not the point of the mcu.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.

Last edited by ThePowerCosmic; 11-20-2013 at 04:09 AM.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:39 AM   #837
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:

I think Fury pretty much said the same thing about Thor at the end of the Avengers, that he's off the grid and he has no way of getting in touch with him.

In terms of the AOS episode, Coulson probably just naturally assumed that, since Thor had returned to London and Greenwich, that Fury might have reestablished contact with him.

The end of TDW seems to indicate that Foster and Friends are the only ones who know that Thor is back on Earth now, and intend to keep it to themselves unless Thor chooses to voluntarily show himself to SHIELD and/or the general public.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowerCosmic View Post
If Cap and Widow were off doing a mission to stop HYDRA from detonating a bomb that could destroy the planet,they wouldn't suddenly stop their mission to help Thor. Everyone's tasks are important. You guys can't spend your time wondering where the other heroes are during these solos. It gets tiring and redundant. Like the comics, they have their own stories of great importance and extreme danger. Just assume that they're busy, because they probably are. Don't expect explanations for every solo movie. That's not the point of the mcu.
And there's this....pretty much sums it up.
You could apply the whole "but where's the Avengers/SHIELD?!?!" argument to the entirety of Marvel Comics history. Best not to.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 11-20-2013, 09:04 AM   #838
CosmicPinchy
Rock Lobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowerCosmic View Post

Well said

Old 11-20-2013, 09:20 AM   #839
Son of Coul
They call me Mr. Pym

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturius View Post
Taylor explains why the final credit scene wasn't put in at the end of the movie:

http://www.flickeringmyth.com/2013/1...rk-worlds.html

Honestly, I find that explanation very weak and it kinda confirms that no real effort was made to develop the romance plot. It looks like they had no real plan at all and just cobbled the two together with little to no thought at all. They should have done better than this.
So to boil it down, ending the movie on the current spot was just basically too cool to pass up as the final shot in the movie because that storyline is more interesting than the love one.

I sorta don't blame him. I remember wishing the final shot of SM2 was Harry looking into the Goblin room, but recognizing that they had to wrap up the Pete/MJ arc of the movie. Definitely one of those problems you have when you actually see the footage cut together. Which is more satisfying? The badass reveal or the proper closure to a romantic subplot? I suppose to have both they could've reshot some stuff--maybe have like, the talk with "Odin", followed by the post-credits, followed by the Loki reveal as he watches from the throne.

Anyway, post-credits felt awkwardly placed regardless.

Old 11-20-2013, 09:20 AM   #840
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Because it's the helmet that Thor deserves, but not the one that he needs right now. So they'll hide it. Because it can take it. Shrouded by the Odin Force....The Helmet!
Yeah I'm surprised all the Advertising has him in his helmet, but it doesn't even SHOW in the film!

....to every King.
THOR MAY 6TH 2011

Old 11-20-2013, 09:25 AM   #841
Son of Coul
They call me Mr. Pym

This quote also kind of explains a slight problem I had with Taylor's decision:
Quote:
The feeling was that instead of explaining why they were together, we just let them be together
People can pin that on Marvel if they wish, but I just remember that before Taylor was hired Feige kept talking about how he was excited at the notion of exploring exactly that. I don't think he should've let that slip if it were apparent during pre-production. I'm sure the writers are a bit at fault as well, considering how much more fun it probably is for them to write characters like Loki or even Darcy and Selvig than Jane; with all the passes at the script it probably just fell by the wayside.

Old 11-20-2013, 10:18 AM   #842
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

To be fair, the writers wrote some of the relationship based scenes that were cut .

Old 11-20-2013, 10:19 AM   #843
Carlo Comicus
Side-Kick

My interview with Ron Ashtiani, from AtomHawd Design about Thor: The Dark World:

http://lospaziobianco.com/285-thor-d...tomhawk-design

http://www.shockdom.com/webcomics/frankcarter/
Old 11-20-2013, 12:17 PM   #844
Loki882
Side-Kick

They seemed to cut out a lot of the interesting character stuff and just tried to make this an action movie, which annoys me because you can do BOTH. Sif, the Warriors 3, Malekith, even Jane and the romance. You have all of this interesting stuff that's vaguely hinted at, but not explored at all. But of course the pointless comedy parade back on Earth got their screentime, we really needed that. I was more forgiving of some of this lack of focus in the first film since you had to introduce this far-out there character and his world to a GA who had never seen anything like him before in a superhero movie. The way that things were left in the first film, I thought that they'd explore the world/characters more in this film, since the setup was out of the way. But they didn't, which was such a missed opportunity. The Asgardian characters STILL weren't developed and seemed like they got LESS to do here than they did in the first film.

Old 11-20-2013, 04:24 PM   #845
Saturius
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Coul View Post
This quote also kind of explains a slight problem I had with Taylor's decision:
People can pin that on Marvel if they wish, but I just remember that before Taylor was hired Feige kept talking about how he was excited at the notion of exploring exactly that. I don't think he should've let that slip if it were apparent during pre-production. I'm sure the writers are a bit at fault as well, considering how much more fun it probably is for them to write characters like Loki or even Darcy and Selvig than Jane; with all the passes at the script it probably just fell by the wayside.

This is my main problem with Thor/Jane. I know some people don't care about romance and relationships in these films. Or even about Thor/Jane for the Sif shippers. That's fine, and it certainly isn't the main reason why I come to the Thor movies. But regardless of your preference or attitude, if you're going to include it, you need to do it right. It should not have been half assed like it was in this film. So to hear they didn't care to explore the why's of these two wanting to be together just reeks as really lazy.

Plus hat they think the movie was apparently about whether or not these two were going to get together doesn't really jibe at all with the final product because I certainly was never in doubt on whether the two were gonna connect. And the fact that the decision to put them together was last minute also seems dumb and lazy. Lots of things happen on the fly in movies. Scripts are rewritten, shots are reshot. But I think they needed a clear gameplan in regards to what they were doing with these two, because the "just wing" it attitude they appeared to have did not work and the film was hurt all the more by it. I didn't want a romance movie, but more time and definitely more care should have been devoted to this aspect of the film. So I find those quotes by Taylor disappointing.

Old 11-20-2013, 07:17 PM   #846
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

Nice Thanks for sharing Carlo!!!

....to every King.
THOR MAY 6TH 2011

Old 11-20-2013, 07:18 PM   #847
seahammer
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlo Comicus View Post
My interview with Ron Ashtiani, from AtomHawd Design about Thor: The Dark World:

http://lospaziobianco.com/285-thor-d...tomhawk-design
That was an interesting read. Thanks, Carlo.

EDIT: Vartha beat me to it!

Read my Thor 3 plot pitch
Old 11-20-2013, 07:24 PM   #848
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

heh SOMETIMES (very Rarely) I'm faster than Lightning (my Sword that is) lol

....to every King.
THOR MAY 6TH 2011

Old 11-20-2013, 07:27 PM   #849
seahammer
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vartha View Post
heh SOMETIMES (very Rarely) I'm faster than Lightning (my Sword that is) lol

Read my Thor 3 plot pitch
Old 11-20-2013, 07:52 PM   #850
mkilban2
family1stclothingco.com

I was actually really surprised we didn't see Thor in his helmet during the funeral scene because the first scene was Odin with his on so I was almost certain when they showed Thor he would have his on. Not that I cared either way about the helmet though.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
If you've got a minute, check out our up and coming clothing company. Summer wear now in stock!
( http://www.family1stclothingco.com/ )
Closed Thread