The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Closed Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 12:11 PM   #826
Rowsdower!
THE WALL

Default Re: Lex Luthor Casting Thread - Part 3

Heh, I feel your pain. I remember when some a**hole went around posting "Ducard is Ra's" on every thread he could here a YEAR before Batman Begins came out. He was quickly banned, but it didn't matter. The damage was done and EVERYONE here knew the plot twist before the movie came out.

As for the Morrissey suggestion, I'm obviously a fan but I'm not sure about him playing Lex. I love the guy but I have a little trouble seeing it. Maybe it's just because I want him to play Roland the Gunslinger so badly.

Old 12-02-2013, 12:13 PM   #827
Rodrigo90
Winky wink!

Luckily I don’t like TWD, asides from the game

Old 12-02-2013, 03:51 PM   #828
Keyser Soze
AW YEEEAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by regwec View Post
I always think this should result in an immediate, permanent ban. I have had the whole of series three of Game of Thrones ruined for me by exactly the same thing.

If the poster is in fact a moron, then it can be ascribed to thoughtless stupidity. If they are not, then it is antisocial.
Preach on, brother. In the past I had the twist of Batman Begins spoiled on an X-Men board, and a pivotal plot beat of a later season of The Shield spoiled in a 24 discussion thread, among other instances. It's very frustrating.

And check out my new comic, AND THEN EMILY WAS GONE!

And listen to my slick Scottish voice on The Off-Panel Podcast!
Old 12-02-2013, 03:52 PM   #829
Keyser Soze
AW YEEEAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower! View Post
Heh, I feel your pain. I remember when some a**hole went around posting "Ducard is Ra's" on every thread he could here a YEAR before Batman Begins came out. He was quickly banned, but it didn't matter. The damage was done and EVERYONE here knew the plot twist before the movie came out.

As for the Morrissey suggestion, I'm obviously a fan but I'm not sure about him playing Lex. I love the guy but I have a little trouble seeing it. Maybe it's just because I want him to play Roland the Gunslinger so badly.
Thanks for the support, but then your post caught me by surprise and revealed the actor name I managed to scroll past and avoid just in time on the previous post.

And check out my new comic, AND THEN EMILY WAS GONE!

And listen to my slick Scottish voice on The Off-Panel Podcast!
Old 12-02-2013, 04:04 PM   #830
Rorschach2012
$

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watchman View Post
Yeah, I mean given the source material I assumed as much, but dammit it's still on my DVR and spoiled for me as well.
Dude same. :/

I haven't had time to catch up on TWD recently, but I was going to get caught up probably today or tomorrow. That's a huge spoiler

Old 12-02-2013, 04:28 PM   #831
Rowsdower!
THE WALL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyser Soze View Post
Thanks for the support, but then your post caught me by surprise and revealed the actor name I managed to scroll past and avoid just in time on the previous post.
Aww crap. Sorry, man. Didn't mean to do that.

Old 12-02-2013, 04:39 PM   #832
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

That's why when it gets close to the sequel I'll take a break from the Hype. Spoilers will get you anywhere. You could be in the politics forum and someone will come in talking about how TDK is a criticism against the government because of the Joker.

I've heard so many people talk about how Superman would kill Lois if they ever had sex, but I've never heard someone make this point before and it's brilliant. If Superman's bodily fluids are so dangerous, then he'd have to use a kryptonite toilet every time he takes a dump.
Old 12-02-2013, 04:49 PM   #833
regwec
Shakespearo

That wouldn't be as bad as some imbecile blundering in and all but announcing the demise of character x, however. I am not an aggressive individual, but I want to hurt them.

Old 12-02-2013, 04:54 PM   #834
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

lol...I definitely understand. I just like to think they're morons because if I thought it was deliberate I might think of ways to actually hurt them.

I've heard so many people talk about how Superman would kill Lois if they ever had sex, but I've never heard someone make this point before and it's brilliant. If Superman's bodily fluids are so dangerous, then he'd have to use a kryptonite toilet every time he takes a dump.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:25 PM   #835
Sub-Zero
Ice Cold

wow. can't go troll dr. doom in another thread, can i ? i have to come back to this? how about...John travolta? he's bald. and lex dances a lot. "omagah its soopahman"

Old 12-03-2013, 01:47 AM   #836
Afrobean
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRYPTON INC. View Post
What's the consensus about how physical Lex should be in this thing? I want a minimal amount of Luthor getting his hands directly dirty, as it were. No battle suit this time out. At best, I would want maybe Batman roughing him up a little. But no direct fisticuffs with our Man of Steel.
I don't want him to be physical AT ALL, but I would totally be on board with him being in very good shape. Like, maybe even as good as Affleck and Cavill. If Luthor sees himself as the ubermensch (and I say he does!), he would probably train his body to be the pinnacle of human form too. I want those three sides of the Nietzschean Ubermensch clashing in this film.

When the New 52 launched, I checked out the Action Comics because I loved the tshirt look on Supes, and they had a pudgy, cowardly Luthor. I wasn't into it. At all. I want a Lex Luthor who could just as easily have been called "the Superman" if Kal-El had never come to Earth. There is an iconic image of Superman breaking chains that are holding him, and that image was later recreated with Luthor breaking the chains (I think it was for the "Lex Luthor: Man of Steel" limited run comic). I think that idea is stylistically important to my concept of Luthor. Luthor as Superman's equal. In every regard.

Old 12-03-2013, 01:54 AM   #837
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrobean View Post
I don't want him to be physical AT ALL, but I would totally be on board with him being in very good shape. Like, maybe even as good as Affleck and Cavill. If Luthor sees himself as the ubermensch (and I say he does!), he would probably train his body to be the pinnacle of human form too. I want those three sides of the Nietzschean Ubermensch clashing in this film.

When the New 52 launched, I checked out the Action Comics because I loved the tshirt look on Supes, and they had a pudgy, cowardly Luthor. I wasn't into it. At all. I want a Lex Luthor who could just as easily have been called "the Superman" if Kal-El had never come to Earth. There is an iconic image of Superman breaking chains that are holding him, and that image was later recreated with Luthor breaking the chains (I think it was for the "Lex Luthor: Man of Steel" limited run comic). I think that idea is stylistically important to my concept of Luthor. Luthor as Superman's equal. In every regard.
I'd say Snyder is looking to have him be a physically attractive and in shape type. Which I think will work for a modern take. Lex as you stated should be tragic in Superman's eyes, because on multiple levels, morality and compassion notwithstanding, he does represent the potential of mankind. But instead... Well the words Superman said to Luthor in that last issue of All Star sum it up best I think.

He truly proved that every person has the potential to be a force for good in this life. So anyone that reads this, do me a favor... Call your parents.
Old 12-03-2013, 02:00 AM   #838
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRYPTON INC. View Post
Lex as you stated should be tragic in Superman's eyes, because on multiple levels, morality and compassion notwithstanding, he does represent the potential of mankind. But instead...
I agree with some of what you say, but I would actually like to see a Lex that does puts a little fear in Supes. He should be absolutely amoral. When facing up against someone like that, you should be a bit afraid of them even if they can't physically hurt you because they're ruthless. That in my opinion is what makes Lex a good villain for Supes. In a physical fight Supes would win everyday, but in the battle of wits Lex can usually get the drop on him because he's willing to do anything and kill anyone for his objective.

Old 12-03-2013, 02:18 AM   #839
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by charl_huntress View Post
I agree with some of what you say, but I would actually like to see a Lex that does puts a little fear in Supes. He should be absolutely amoral. When facing up against someone like that, you should be a bit afraid of them even if they can't physically hurt you because they're ruthless. That in my opinion is what makes Lex a good villain for Supes. In a physical fight Supes would win everyday, but in the battle of wits Lex can usually get the drop on him because he's willing to do anything and kill anyone for his objective.

In my mind Supes, in a strange way, "respects" Luthor more than he fears him, per se. He knows that Lex can, and given any chance WILL put the hurt on him, physically or emotionally (see Lex's note in RED SON). I am not even a big fan of ALL STAR, but that prison cell meeting between Lex and Superman is so right on. Superman knows what Luthor could accomplish in this world if he just let go of his dark side. He offered him an olive branch in that scene and Lex literally spit in his face.

He truly proved that every person has the potential to be a force for good in this life. So anyone that reads this, do me a favor... Call your parents.
Old 12-03-2013, 02:22 AM   #840
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

I think he respects would Lex could do with this intellect and is horrified by what he actually chooses to use it for. Respect and fear usually go hand in hand because if you don't respect it then you can't really fear it.

Old 12-03-2013, 02:28 AM   #841
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by charl_huntress View Post
I think he respects would Lex could do with this intellect and is horrified by what he actually chooses to use it for. Respect and fear usually go hand in hand because if you don't respect it then you can't really fear it.
I don't think we are disagreeing too much here, cuz you are correct, you have to have an appreciation of what could harm you if you are choosing to meet said threat head on.

Old 12-03-2013, 02:33 AM   #842
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Yeah, I think we're on the same page. It will be interesting to find out if Lex is cast in this movie and if so the actor playing him. For all this speculation, I wasn't familiar with any of the stars playing the big leads in this movie. I wouldn't be surprised if it's someone I haven't heard of at all..lol. Then where will all my speculation go.

Old 12-03-2013, 02:42 AM   #843
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

The only person I had never seen from MOS' cast was Henry. Which I liked and I think bodes well for the casting of Lex. I mean, Snyder did not have to have a Lawrence Fishburne or Chris Meloni for roles that are really supporting in nature. Then again I actually think Snyder and Co. did some great stuff even with the limited time those characters were on screen. I believed that Fishburne's Perry was an investigative reporting legend. And Meloni's moment in the first contact scene where he stands up for Lois just made me fall in love with the character. So I am hoping Snyder really does get the right person for Lex.

Old 12-03-2013, 05:00 PM   #844
Jumpin' Jack
Zero Gravity

Damian Lewis anyone? No? Ginger, looks good bald, also can pull off intellectual roles, not too old not too young.

Old 12-03-2013, 06:49 PM   #845
Gamma Goliath
Engine of Destruction

His name has been thrown around a lot actually.

Old 12-03-2013, 08:54 PM   #846
KillerMcQueen
Mildly sociopathic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamma Goliath View Post
His name has been thrown around a lot actually.
basically everyone that's known about has had their name thrown around.

Old 12-03-2013, 10:31 PM   #847
Sub-Zero
Ice Cold

i think it'll be a huge name actor looking for a come back. nic cage???

Old 12-03-2013, 10:48 PM   #848
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

I am not going to disagree with the idea of Cage as Lex. Remember the Red Son scenes with Lex showing off what a polymath he is, playing chess while learning a language at the same time using a device he built and designed himself? It showed Lex's depth of intellect but also his arrogance and gave the vibe of a character that was a little "off kilter" too. I could see Cage knocking a scene like that out of the ppark.

Old 12-03-2013, 11:07 PM   #849
Rodrigo90
Winky wink!

Old 12-03-2013, 11:18 PM   #850
Rowsdower!
THE WALL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrigo90 View Post
This has scarred me for life. Thank you.

I now feel obligated to post this.

Closed Thread