The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > Avengers: Age Of Ultron

Closed Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 02:45 PM   #501
ThePowerCosmic
Straight Lording.

Default Re: The Avengers 2! The Official News and Speculation Thread - Upgrade section 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Evil View Post
I hope so, as it would increase the chances of BP getting a solo film and beat DC Comics to the punch by having a black solo superhero film.

Oh and Chiwetel Ejiofor as T'Challa.
Ejiofor would fit the role well.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 12-06-2013, 02:46 PM   #502
AlexanderLykins
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Avengers 2! The Official News and Speculation Thread - Upgrade section 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyjojo72 View Post
Paul bettany needs to come to terms with the fact that he's not a leading man. He's much more effective as a second or third banana. Taking staring roles in movies literally every other star in Hollywood has already passed on has not worked out for him. Jarvis may be a small part but at least he's good in the role. Vision would do wonders for him.
I completely agree, well said. I would like to say that he is an outstanding actor and does deserve Marvel to throw him a bit of a bone. If he wants a bigger role why not take advantage.

Old 12-06-2013, 02:49 PM   #503
Dr. Evil
RIP Robin Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderLykins View Post
I hope we get Black Panther before DC gets to the African/African American audience. I think they'll end up rushing it though. Sony (Marc Webb), Fox (Bryan Singer) and Warner Bros. (Zack Snyder) are all rushing things in my opinion. I think they want to try and catch up to Marvel Studios/Disney (Feige and Joss). I sincerely hope it works but if it doesn't it could mean the end of everything not Marvel Studios.
I don't think we'll see Black Panther until 2017 at the earliest. Marvel has two slots in 2016. I think one of them will be a sequel (Cap 3, Thor 3 or Hulk 2) and the other a new character (Doctor Strange). They have two more in 2017 and I think we'll see Black Panther in the second 2017 slot.

But he could easily appear in other movies before that. The popular choice, Chiwetel Ejiofor has expressed interest in being in a comic book movie, but nobody has asked him to be in one.

I don't think Sony, Fox or WB are rushing things. As for trying to get the African American audience, I think that DC still wants Hal Jordan again or Guy Gardner as GL rather than John Stewart.

My MCU Rankings: 1. The Avengers- 9/10, 2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier- 9/10, 3. Guardians of the Galaxy- 9/10 , 4. Iron Man- 8.5/10, 5. Captain America: The First Avenger- 8/10, 6. Thor- 8/10, 7. Iron Man 2- 7.5/10, 8. Thor: The Dark World- 7/10, 9. Iron Man 3- 7/10, 10. The Incredible Hulk- 6/10
Old 12-06-2013, 02:49 PM   #504
AlexanderLykins
Side-Kick

Chiwetel Ejiofor would have to get into pretty good shape to play the role. Staying on the same topic how do we feel about James Spader getting head and body scans for Ultron? Anyone else a bit nervous?

Old 12-06-2013, 02:51 PM   #505
Dr. Evil
RIP Robin Williams

Spader was a popular choice when he was announced, because he's excellent at playing creepy characters.

My MCU Rankings: 1. The Avengers- 9/10, 2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier- 9/10, 3. Guardians of the Galaxy- 9/10 , 4. Iron Man- 8.5/10, 5. Captain America: The First Avenger- 8/10, 6. Thor- 8/10, 7. Iron Man 2- 7.5/10, 8. Thor: The Dark World- 7/10, 9. Iron Man 3- 7/10, 10. The Incredible Hulk- 6/10
Old 12-06-2013, 02:52 PM   #506
AlexanderLykins
Side-Kick

Quote:
Spader was a popular choice when he was announced, because he's excellent at playing creepy characters.
I agree! I like Spader's voice but that is truthfully all I want.

Old 12-06-2013, 03:51 PM   #507
Ant-manic
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cph9fa View Post
Yeah, it's certainly nothing new or innovative. I just had never analyzed the Marvel films that way before. The tvtropes names for these roles are Dragon, Big Bad, and Mooks, respectively. Haven't found one for the Friendly Menace yet.

To give a classic example:
- Dragon: Darth Vader
- Big Bad: Emperor
- Mooks: Storm Troopers

To be fair, these roles do play out differently in different films. In the Thor films, the Dragon tends to be a big physical threat to throw Thor around for a while, and who's obviously a henchman for the mastermind Big Bad. In Iron Man's corporate intrigue films, the connection between the Dragon and the Big Bad tends to be more nuanced, and even a plot twist. In Avengers, the heroes never even discovered that Loki was merely a Dragon for the Big Bad.

I thought so too at first, but Zola is definitely the Dragon to Red Skull's Big Bad. He invents the weapon that powers Hydra's troops, his experiments on kidnapped US soldiers is what actually motivates Steve to finally leave his touring, and the raid on the train that costs Bucky's life has the payoff of capturing Zola. He's as much a right-hand man to Red Skull as Kurse is to Malekith, Destroyer is to Loki, Vanko is to Hammer, Slattery is to Killian, etc...
the problem is that we define "second bad guy" differently. Kurse was a lackey of Malekith. Destroyer was just an instrument that Loki used. Slattery was a paid puppet. to me, Laufey qualifies as a second villain.

Old 12-06-2013, 04:20 PM   #508
RockSP
MYTH SMITH ∞!!!

Quote:
I hope we get Black Panther before DC gets to the African/African American audience.
lol...black people watch movies from both studios.

http://myth-smith.com/
Old 12-06-2013, 04:35 PM   #509
AlexanderLykins
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockSP View Post
lol...black people watch movies from both studios.
I know but some people are fans of diversity. It's an issue for more people than we realize. For the Avengers and Black Panther to be the first franchises to have a mainstream black superhero would be special. I hate the fact that we don't have someone who African Americans can say, "Hey, he's my color and he can do what the other white characters can." If it was all black superheroes that's how I would feel.

Who do you think mostly watch Tyler Perry movies? Or BET? You see what I mean? They go after a certain demographic. There is nothing politically incorrect about it or any sort of race baiting involved.

I don't mean to bring race into this but I really do mean to. It's part of what unites us. The fact that the Avengers can break color barriers. It's not about race it's about saving the world and T'Challa can certainly help. I know that people of many races and religions watch superhero movies. We all deserve someone we can perceivably relate to.

Old 12-06-2013, 04:53 PM   #510
Ant-manic
Banned User

Quote:
I know but some people are fans of diversity. It's an issue for more people than we realize. For the Avengers and Black Panther to be the first franchises to have a mainstream black superhero would be special. I hate the fact that we don't have someone who African Americans can say, "Hey, he's my color and he can do what the other white characters can." If it was all black superheroes that's how I would feel.

Who do you think mostly watch Tyler Perry movies?
because of the pact he has with Satan?

Old 12-06-2013, 04:57 PM   #511
theShape
Creature of Darkness

Quote:
It's his voice, really.

Old 12-06-2013, 05:07 PM   #512
AlexanderLykins
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant-manic View Post
because of the pact he has with Satan?
What?

Old 12-06-2013, 06:12 PM   #513
TeeKay
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by theShape View Post
It's his voice, really.
Feige said they didn't hire James Spader just for his voice only.

BTW, wasn't Wakanda referenced in Iron Man 2?

"Cut off one head and two more shall take its place." - HAIL HYDRA!

GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIES OF ALL TIME:
1) Captain America: The Winter Soldier 2) The Dark Knight 3) Spider-Man 2 4) X-Men: Days Of Future Past 5) X-Men: First Class
Old 12-06-2013, 06:57 PM   #514
Just_Human
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeKay View Post
Feige said they didn't hire James Spader just for his voice only.

BTW, wasn't Wakanda referenced in Iron Man 2?
yes

and in other MCU movies I believe

By the way in Avengers 1, when Coulson is calling Rommanoff early in the movie, he is looking at a screen showing her and Barton in a mission in Abidjan.

I don't think it's related to Wakanda, since Ivory Coast is in Western Africa - the map at the end of Iron Man shows a location that more like in center/east IIRC

I still wonder what they were doing in Abidjan though

Old 12-07-2013, 07:24 AM   #515
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Any sort of reference to him? Wakanda? Anything? Do you think he'll get a Phase 3 movie?
There were internet rumors a few months ago that they're scouting Cape Town for location shoots in AoU. Pretty good reason to argue that they're looking for a good Wakanda setting.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 12-07-2013, 10:46 AM   #516
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Quote:
So Masters of Evil after Ultron and Thanos? Seriously?
The Masters of Evil are a greatly *different* threat from any prior one. They'd totally work. Each movie doesn't need a villain that can beat up the prior movies villain.

( Thanos. . . is a tough case, yes, but that is why you can make a good argument that they shouldn't use Thanos for A3, but for a separate crossover movie )

Old 12-07-2013, 02:51 PM   #517
TeeKay
Side-Kick

Seamus McGarvey who was the cinematographer for the Avengers is not returning for A:AOU. Thank God. Ben Davis will be the director of photography for A:AOU What do you guys think?

"Cut off one head and two more shall take its place." - HAIL HYDRA!

GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIES OF ALL TIME:
1) Captain America: The Winter Soldier 2) The Dark Knight 3) Spider-Man 2 4) X-Men: Days Of Future Past 5) X-Men: First Class
Old 12-07-2013, 02:54 PM   #518
Son of Coul
They call me Mr. Pym

Can't link to it, but DCMF posted on CBM about how Gunn basically convinced Whedon to hire Ben Davis as DP for A:AOU, which is awesome considering how fantastic the GOTG footage is looking. Those complaining about the "TV look" of the first movie should be relieved, as McGarvey (A1's DP) is currently shooting Fifty Shades of Grey and the flaws in the visual execution mostly rest on his shoulders.

edit: TeeKay beat me to it. I think it's swell news.

Ben Davis also DP'd Kick-Ass, Stardust, and Layer Cake, all of which have pretty varying styles, so he's got nice range as well.

Old 12-07-2013, 03:09 PM   #519
The Chris
TDK Trilogy Forever!

I love the look of those movies. We'll see though, because in the end it comes down to what Joss wants I feel. Seamus has done great work outside of the avengers in his career (especially with Joe Wright), but hey Ben Davis may fit Joss' vision much more. It's gonna be pretty interesting.

4. X-Men: Days of Future Past
5. The Raid 2
Old 12-07-2013, 03:09 PM   #520
Stringer
CHAMPS AGAIN!

The cinematography was the worst part of The Avengers. This is good news.

"We dem lil bald headed b****es on the chessboard"- Bodie Broadus
Old 12-07-2013, 03:19 PM   #521
Moridin
Death Contagious Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Coul View Post
Can't link to it, but DCMF posted on CBM about how Gunn basically convinced Whedon to hire Ben Davis as DP for A:AOU, which is awesome considering how fantastic the GOTG footage is looking. Those complaining about the "TV look" of the first movie should be relieved, as McGarvey (A1's DP) is currently shooting Fifty Shades of Grey and the flaws in the visual execution mostly rest on his shoulders.
Gunn talked him up, but Whedon of course has access to these films, he can see for himself what Davis was doing.

Quote:
Ben Davis also DP'd Kick-Ass, Stardust, and Layer Cake, all of which have pretty varying styles, so he's got nice range as well.
And Seven Psychopaths.

Defend night-flight sites...
Trap clamped, snared for pyres...

Witchtripper...
Witchtripper...

Last edited by Moridin; 12-07-2013 at 03:24 PM.
Old 12-07-2013, 04:22 PM   #522
Tim_Riggins
Dillon Panthers

Very exciting news indeed and Davis seems to shoot exclusively on film, so, Avengers Age Of Ultron shot on film? Please, make it so. Glad McGarvey is out, but as said, he's done stunning work on other movies, so I think the blame lies on Whedon who very much still has TV sensibilities, and style, it just screamed TV in the scenes aside from the action sequences.

Let's hope Davis can change that, although, don't get me wrong, The Avengers looked crisp as hell on Blu Ray, but the digital look aside from the action was annoying, the action is stunning though. Maybe this could be shot in 2:35 too, hopefully.

Old 12-07-2013, 04:36 PM   #523
ThePowerCosmic
Straight Lording.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Coul View Post

edit: TeeKay beat me to it. I think it's swell news.

But where did DCMF and CBM get this news? It seemed to originate on CBM with no sources, and there were no other sites but CBM reporting it until an hour or so ago.

I want to believe it, but I just need to know where this scoop even came from.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 12-07-2013, 05:35 PM   #524
marvel_freshman
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowerCosmic View Post
But where did DCMF and CBM get this news? It seemed to originate on CBM with no sources, and there were no other sites but CBM reporting it until an hour or so ago.

I want to believe it, but I just need to know where this scoop even came from.
It's not a scoop, I first noticed it on IMDB. The only reason I didn't list IMDB as my source is because I basically received confirmation from James Gunn. As included in the article, I asked him on his Formspring did he help Ben Davis land AOU and he replied: “I did everything I could to let Joss know how great I thought [Davis] was. And, of course, Joss was able to see first hand what an amazing job Ben was doing on Guardians.”

Old 12-07-2013, 06:14 PM   #525
ThePowerCosmic
Straight Lording.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvel_freshman View Post
It's not a scoop, I first noticed it on IMDB. The only reason I didn't list IMDB as my source is because I basically received confirmation from James Gunn. As included in the article, I asked him on his Formspring did he help Ben Davis land AOU and he replied: “I did everything I could to let Joss know how great I thought [Davis] was. And, of course, Joss was able to see first hand what an amazing job Ben was doing on Guardians.”

All right, makes sense. Thanks for the clarification.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Closed Thread