The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Closed Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 11:28 PM   #1
Thread Manager
SHH! Moderator

Default Re: All Things Superman and Batman: An Open Discussion - Part 5

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is Here

Old 11-05-2013, 11:28 PM   #2
Thread Manager
SHH! Moderator

Default Re: All Things Superman and Batman: An Open Discussion - Part 4

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is Here

Old 11-05-2013, 11:28 PM   #3
Jekecy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowerCosmic View Post
Please...do not tell me you're comparing his wrestling persona to the layered role of Luthor. Good lord.
I clearly distinguished the two in my last sentences. Even said I wouldn't want him for the part because of I doubt in his range. Skim, much?

Old 11-05-2013, 11:38 PM   #4
Tempest
Life is a cookie

Default Re: All Things Superman and Batman: An Open Discussion - Part 6

Since Goyer did a decent job of making me care about Zod, I'm hoping he can do the same for Luthor, who barely pings my radar for an interesting villain (Heresy! I know, I know, but he's boring). Has he done anything really, really intriguing ever? Someone point me in the direction of a good Lex story, please. Oh, and don't say All-Star Superman, because though it's considered another fannish heresy, I hate that book.

Old 11-05-2013, 11:38 PM   #5
Rowsdower!
Hmmmmm.

I like Dwayne, but... as Luthor? Seriously?

Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Hair (2016)
Hair League for Men (2017)
Wonder Woman's Styling Tips (2018)
Hair of Steel 2 (2018)

The Dark Knight Glazes (2019)
Old 11-05-2013, 11:38 PM   #6
ThePowerCosmic
You are hailing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach2012 View Post
I don't care enough to prove anything to you though, I'm only talking about this because he had a meeting with WB's CEO.

You've obviously watched movies featuring the Rock, and you didn't like his acting. He's not for everyone, I don't care enough to/won't be able to convince you of his skills.

If you're interested, seek out more of his work yourself
If you don't want to provide proof, that's no big deal to me at all. I just can't fathom how someone thinks the Rock is worthy of playing Luthor, yet doesn't have a role that highlights his acting abilities for such a task. Oh well.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 11-05-2013, 11:39 PM   #7
Tempest
Life is a cookie

Quote:
If you don't want to provide proof, that's no big deal to me at all. I just can't fathom how someone thinks the Rock is worthy of playing Luthor, yet doesn't have a role that highlights his acting abilities for such a task. Oh well.
Considering that Luthor is about as boring a villain as you can get, I don't see the problem.

Old 11-05-2013, 11:40 PM   #8
Rowsdower!
Hmmmmm.

My problem with the Rock playing Luthor is pretty simple. Luthor shouldn't look like he could crush Superman with his armpit. I want a Lex who is in good physical shape, but the Rock is a monster. Cast him as Doomsday or Parasite but cast someone who looks human as Lex.

Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Hair (2016)
Hair League for Men (2017)
Wonder Woman's Styling Tips (2018)
Hair of Steel 2 (2018)

The Dark Knight Glazes (2019)
Old 11-05-2013, 11:41 PM   #9
Marvin
Side-Kick

Zack Snyder isn't casting Dwayne the big fat action star as Luthor opposite Affleck/Cavil.
Who started this rumor?

A movie about a man learning to be Superman will finally get the GA invested in the premise, while at the same time piss off people that want what they want. If only the latter group showed up for the last movie.
Old 11-05-2013, 11:41 PM   #10
HighFivingMF
Welp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
Since Goyer did a decent job of making me care about Zod, I'm hoping he can do the same for Luthor, who barely pings my radar for an interesting villain (Heresy! I know, I know, but he's boring). Has he done anything really, really intriguing ever? Someone point me in the direction of a good Lex story, please. Oh, and don't say All-Star Superman, because though it's considered another fannish heresy, I hate that book.
There are plenty of great stories featuring Lex Luthor, but you need to start with All-Star Superman because... Oh. You can't be helped.

Old 11-05-2013, 11:43 PM   #11
ThePowerCosmic
You are hailing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekecy View Post
I clearly distinguished the two in my last sentences. Even said I wouldn't want him for the part because of I doubt in his range. Skim, much?
Herolee's question was about a role the Rock has done which shows him giving a great performance. You did distinguish the roles, however, using his wrestling persona as a half-justifiable answer to the question is what I had a problem with. When I think of great performance(At least, great enough to play Luthor), I don't imagine the Rock being one of them.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 11-05-2013, 11:47 PM   #12
Tempest
Life is a cookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFivingMF View Post
There are plenty of great stories featuring Lex Luthor, but you need to start with All-Star Superman because... Oh. You can't be helped.
No, no. Carry on. I'd like another perspective on All-Star. I haven't heard much about why it's awesome, other than that it's awesome. In general, not a helpful explanation.

Old 11-05-2013, 11:49 PM   #13
Smallville13
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
Considering that Luthor is about as boring a villain as you can get, I don't see the problem.
Luthor is one of the best villains, easily up there with the likes of the Joker, when done right. He just hasn't been done right onscreen before which means Snyder has an incredible opportunity here, especially when there's probably alot of people that share your opinion of the character.

Azarello's Lex Luthor, Birthright, S:TAS are examples of how to do the character well.

Also looking at Rowsdower's avvy, I think Brad Pitt would actually do a fine Luthor.

Old 11-05-2013, 11:51 PM   #14
CharlieS
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallville13 View Post
Luthor is one of the best villains, easily up there with the likes of the Joker, when done right. He just hasn't been done right onscreen before which means Snyder has an incredible opportunity here, especially when there's probably alot of people that share your opinion of the character.

Azarello's Lex Luthor, Birthright, S:TAS are examples of how to do the character well.
This.

Old 11-05-2013, 11:52 PM   #15
ThePowerCosmic
You are hailing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
Zack Snyder isn't casting Dwayne the big fat action star as Luthor opposite Affleck/Cavil.
Who started this rumor?
I'm thinking Satan.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 11-05-2013, 11:52 PM   #16
Rorschach2012
$

Dwayne is fine in Fast 5 and six, Snitch, The Other Guys, and Reno 911 Take Miami. None of these roles prove he could do a great Lex, but they prove he at least has range and that he's not a truly awful actor. Maybe you think he is a truly awful actor, but a lot of people disagree with that, and he keeps getting roles, so he's doing something right. That being said, I prefer Cranston, but I'll defend Johnson as Lex. None of the movies i listed are great movies, but if he got a high profile role I think he would prove people wrong, just from what i've seen , he's got talent.

We can do much better than Johnson as Lex, but he looks exactly like STAS Lex.

Old 11-05-2013, 11:52 PM   #17
roach
I am the night

Luthor is a good villain but I don't see The Rock being Luthor

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in todayís protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You donít like a story? Thatís fine Ė donít read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
Old 11-06-2013, 12:00 AM   #18
ThePowerCosmic
You are hailing!

Quote:
Dwayne is fine in Fast 5 and six, Snitch, The Other Guys, and Reno 911 Take Miami. None of these roles prove he could do a great Lex, but they prove he at least has range and that he's not a truly awful actor. Maybe you think he is a truly awful actor, but a lot of people disagree with that, and he keeps getting roles, so he's doing something right. That being said, I prefer Cranston, but I'll defend Johnson as Lex.
Not an awful actor, but an awful choice for Luthor.

Fast Five and 6 he was good but he didn't have to stretch his acting chops for that role. He does badass roles all the time. Only that time in FF it was "badass cop". And then in Reno 911 and The Other Guys, it was "funny badass cop". My point is the guy hasn't shown tons of range or been in seriously dramatic roles that show me he can play Luthor. It's a choice that literally comes out of nowhere. No matter how much he resembles STAS' Luthor.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 11-06-2013, 12:04 AM   #19
Tempest
Life is a cookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallville13 View Post
I think I would find him more interesting if he weren't so over-used. Like Brainiac and the Joker, I am suffering from character fatigue. They've been done to death.

S:TAS Luthor is not that exciting for me, sorry. I watched the series, and I watched him in JL, and meh.

Parasite, Savage, even Experiment 71 or whatever from Camelot Has Fallen are more intriguing, layered characters.

But to be fair, I will look into the other examples. Maybe I'll find something interesting there.

Old 11-06-2013, 12:09 AM   #20
ThePowerCosmic
You are hailing!

Range to me is what Cranston has. To go from a character like Hal in Malcolm in the Middle to Walter White in Breaking Bad is some serious skills. Not that I want him for Luthor, or anything.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 11-06-2013, 12:11 AM   #21
Rorschach2012
$

Quote:
Range to me is what Cranston has. To go from a character like Hal in Malcolm in the Middle to Walter White in Breaking Bad is some serious skills. Not that I want him for Luthor, or anything.
Well duh. Cranston is one of the greatest living actors.

Old 11-06-2013, 12:13 AM   #22
ThePowerCosmic
You are hailing!

Quote:
Well duh. Cranston is one of the greatest living actors.
That's something we can both agree on.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 11-06-2013, 12:16 AM   #23
Rorschach2012
$

Quote:
That's something we can both agree on.
I want an actor of that calibre for every prominent role in the DCU, but i know that's unrealistic. And getting an actor on Dwayne Johnson's level for a role that isn't the hardest role ever wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

Old 11-06-2013, 12:19 AM   #24
roach
I am the night

But then again I don't think Luthor will be the villain of this movie

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in todayís protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You donít like a story? Thatís fine Ė donít read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
Old 11-06-2013, 12:21 AM   #25
MrsKent26
Whatever.

I am dumbfounded that people are ok with Rock as Luthor. Just didn't see that coming.

Closed Thread