3 0 0%
2 0 0%
1 1 2.86%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-11-2013, 01:14 PM   #251
sabrecmc
Newbie First Class

Default Re: Fan Review Thread SPOILERS INSIDE - Part 2

Saw it Friday night with my mom, and we both quite enjoyed it. The screen fairly crackled when Thor and Loki were on it. I could easily watch a movie of just the two of them bantering away.

I did think the first part felt rushed a bit, and Jane's role remains clunky to me personally. But, overall, really a fun movie. My favorite parts were the cameo and Loki's "ta-da!!!!" after they went through the portal. Heh. Well, anything with Loki was awesome. I laughed, I cried...great fun all around. And the CA:TWS extended preview was worth the price of admission in and of itself.

sabrecmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 01:28 PM   #252
warriorking
Side-Kick

Hopkins was very happy while working on TDW, he said so during many of his interviews, He will be back in Thor 3, he and Portman both said they would have no problem if asked in returning for Thor 3...
As for his performance in TDW, I saw no problems other than Anthony changed it a little bit,
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
The scene with him holding his dead wife and the grief in his eyes during the funeral spoke volumes in its silence, and his promise to sacrifice 10,000 Asgardians shows how much Odin has become unhinged. ...very few actors can carry that off...Hopkins did...

Last edited by warriorking; 11-11-2013 at 01:37 PM.
warriorking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 01:37 PM   #253
Figs
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorking View Post
Hopkins was very happy while working on TDW, he said so during many of his interviews, He will be back in Thor 3, he and Portman both said they would have no problem if asked in returning for Thor 3...
As for his performance in TDW, I saw no problems other than Anthony changed it a little bit,
The scene with him holding his dead wife and the grief in his eyes during the funeral spoke volumes in its silence, and his promise to sacrifice 10,000 asgardians shows how much Odin has become unhinged
. ...very few actors can carry that off...Hopkins did...
Being happy doesn't really mean anything in regards to his performance being a tiny bit of a step down from the first film. Don't get me wrong, I still liked his performance in The Dark World, I just felt it was a little off.

His facial expressions, including the funeral scene that you mentioned, are great. It's Anthony Hopkins we're talking about here. It was his line delivery that bothered me a little bit. I'm not saying he turned in a ****** performance, just that it wasn't as good as in the first Thor movie.

Figs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 01:43 PM   #254
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

im sorry, but i REALLY don't get how people say his performance was a step down... he was only in a few scenes in Thor, and one was very chilling and great due to the situation... and that was really only his argument with Thor before banishing him to earth.. considering they were both arguing and antagonizing each other...

he seemed like the exact same character.. just didn't have a scene where he was in an emotional bicker fest... it just seems like an incredibly petty complaint

DING DONG DOMA IS DEAD and PROP 8 has been slayed June 26th, 2013
[=]
spideyboy_1111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 01:45 PM   #255
warriorking
Side-Kick

I think its just age catching up with him, he looked a bit more tired in this movie compared to his earlier role, which was nearly 4 years ago, so I will give him some slack...
Portman on the other hand never looked better, the first Thor they sort of made her look frumpy, but this time she looked amazing....
And so did Sif....

Last edited by warriorking; 11-11-2013 at 01:50 PM.
Old 11-11-2013, 01:49 PM   #256
Figs
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideyboy_1111 View Post
im sorry, but i REALLY don't get how people say his performance was a step down... he was only in a few scenes in Thor, and one was very chilling and great due to the situation... and that was really only his argument with Thor before banishing him to earth.. considering they were both arguing and antagonizing each other...

he seemed like the exact same character.. just didn't have a scene where he was in an emotional bicker fest... it just seems like an incredibly petty complaint
Oh no! Someone has a criticism against your movie.

People have different opinions and are allowed to, get over it.

Old 11-11-2013, 02:00 PM   #257
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figs View Post
Oh no! Someone has a criticism against your movie.

People have different opinions and are allowed to, get over it.
my movie? hardly.. i loved it, but im not an arrogant fanboy hell bent on defending a film..

i'll call it petty when i see it.. and it's pretty petty, it sounds like people are looking for issues.

if that's one of the biggest complaints people have... then the film is pretty fantastic.

[=]
Old 11-11-2013, 02:14 PM   #258
Figs
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideyboy_1111 View Post
my movie? hardly.. i loved it, but im not an arrogant fanboy hell bent on defending a film..

i'll call it petty when i see it.. and it's pretty petty, it sounds like people are looking for issues.

if that's one of the biggest complaints people have... then the film is pretty fantastic.
I never said it was a huge complaint of mine, just a performance that I wish was just a tad better. Notice in this post and my previous ones I have been typing out "a tad better". The performance was still good, I'm not saying it was terrible.

The fact that you are saying my opinion is petty, which implies that I am as well I guess, then you kind of do seem like an arrogant fanboy. Some of us are NOT looking for issues, we just aren't biased comic book movie fans. Some of us are actual fans of cinema overall and have a right to have criticisms about any film, regardless if it's a superhero one or not.

The reason I typed "your movie", which yes was in a mocking attitude was because you and some others seem to take people's criticisms about this film too personally.

Old 11-11-2013, 02:26 PM   #259
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
I never said it was a huge complaint of mine, just a performance that I wish was just a tad better. Notice in this post and my previous ones I have been typing out "a tad better". The performance was still good, I'm not saying it was terrible.

The fact that you are saying my opinion is petty, which implies that I am as well I guess, then you kind of do seem like an arrogant fanboy. Some of us are NOT looking for issues, we just aren't biased comic book movie fans. Some of us are actual fans of cinema overall and have a right to have criticisms about any film, regardless if it's a superhero one or not.

The reason I typed "your movie", which yes was in a mocking attitude was because you and some others seem to take people's criticisms about this film too personally.
... you do realize just because someone says an opinion is petty... does not mean that you yourself is petty right? (they're saying the thoughts on a specific subject are petty) there's quite a clear difference. don't take it personal. I'm just saying it's a nitpick of a complaint.

I just don't get what people are basing his performance from Thor 1 on... the one scene with him and Thor arguing? because that's the only one i can think of that showed any difference... and truth be told.. there was no scene written remotely like that in Thor 2... so why would he act that way? His acting (when not screaming at thor) in Thor 1, was exactly the same as he was portrayed in 2.

[=]

Last edited by spideyboy_1111; 11-11-2013 at 02:44 PM.
Old 11-11-2013, 02:36 PM   #260
TeeKay
Side-Kick

Figs and Spideyboy, calm down. We're all good friends here.

TeeKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 02:38 PM   #261
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Quote:
To best honest, what I found funny was some critics said Hopkins was phoning in his performance in the first Thor film which I heavily disagree with. It was this sequel where I felt he didn't seem all that interested in returning. His line delivery didn't have enough power behind it this time around. I still love Hopkins in the role, I just wish he put a little more into the role like the first Thor.
I agree, it was very strange this time around. I think the big difference is you really felt his compassion for his children in the first movie. I did like his scenes with Jane, but that was about it for me.

Old 11-11-2013, 02:43 PM   #262
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

THOR: THE DARK WORLD

The first Thor movie was disappointing to me. Even when the name of Kenneth Branagh was attached to it, very little of his style could be seen. The things that happened in Asgard and other realms was very good, but when the story happened on earth, it became awfully dull and uninspired, with a most generic love interest (a bland Natalie Portman) and an absolutely needless comic relief (a painfully unfunny and forced Kat Denning). The only one doing some effort to justify his existence in that trio was Stellan Skarsgård.

Fortunately, director Alan Taylor has a much better handling of these elements. On the one hand, he manages to make this a much more fun movie, with a nice pace and lots of action. But all of the old problems are still there. When it's about Asgard and its enemies, the movie flows smoothly. When it's about the earth, scenes and relationships are barely sketched out and the rest filled in with jokes of any kind that add little to nothing. Once again one is left to wild guess what Thor and Jane's relationship is about, why they attract each other so much and how this relationship evolves. In fact, it doesn't actually evolve. The characters just limit themselves to throw cliched jokes about trivial situations such as jealousy, face-slapping, introducing the girlfriend to the boyfriend's parents and one kiss here and there. There's some hint of a love triangle with Syf, but nothing is developed at all. Where the movie works in terms of the characters is within Thor's family. Thor and Loki, Odin or Frigga in the same scene provides some fleshed out interaction and becomes instantly interesting. What to say about Hopkins's Odin. He is absolutely comfortable and good in such a role that achieves effortlessly a great performance.

Of course, one of the hearty meals is Tom Hiddleston as Loki. But he takes a lot of time to reach a scene that allows him to deliver great acting. Before that, the movie abuses of the humor the character can produce. It's how complex and vengeful this character is what makes his humor work, not the other way around.

The action is Thor 2's strong suit. Amazing, entertaining, it keeps the movie moving on and it makes up for all the sketchy relationships. Even so, the final battle - which is very entertaining and frenetic - is interrupted to show us how funny Thor is forgetting the world is in danger and taking the subway to get to the place of the battle, or how Darcy, the unnecessary sidekick falls in love with her own unnecessary sidekick (yes, such an awful concept is now taken to the next lower level). The character of Erik Selvig is now depicted as a deranged scientist (apparently he lost his mind after the events of The Avengers), but his new condition is only an excuse for cheap laughs (the TV clip joke with him naked is repeated twice for no reason and without a change, undermining its initial potential) and nothing else is explored about him.

All in all, Thor 2 is a better movie than its predecessor and a joy to see, it works for the most part, but it doesn't feel the need to flesh out its characters.

3/5

Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 02:48 PM   #263
jmc
callin' it like I see it

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorking View Post
I think its just age catching up with him, he looked a bit more tired in this movie compared to his earlier role, which was nearly 4 years ago, so I will give him some slack...
Portman on the other hand never looked better, the first Thor they sort of made her look frumpy, but this time she looked amazing....
And so did Sif....
Was she not pregnant at the time?

Fanboys make excuses, real fans acknowledge screw-ups.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
jmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 02:55 PM   #264
Figs
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeKay View Post
Figs and Spideyboy, calm down. We're all good friends here.
I don't hate Spideyboy or anything. We just don't agree is all.

Old 11-11-2013, 03:16 PM   #265
warriorking
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post
Was she not pregnant at the time?
I believe so but she was not very far along during filming, she still looked good in Thor 1 but they really made her look much better this time out...

Old 11-11-2013, 03:17 PM   #266
GremlinZilla89
Mogwai Healer

Just got back from a second viewing I decided to catch on a whim after my last class for the day.

I was hopping against hope it would play better a second viewing as others have said it did.

NOPE

It plays ever worse. All the issues I had with it the first time are only more apparent. I'm so shocked people are finding this better than the first film.

The first film is light on it's feet, has a real passion behind it, is glorious to look at and the drama is much more believable.

Thor: TDW lacks a personal touch. Of course they just HAD to darken the visuals up. One of the strongest aspects of the first film was its unabashed embrace of it's fantastical elements. The colors and look of Asgard where beautiful and magical. In TDW it's just another dark and gritty fantasy world. The action was just as bland a second time and Thor's lack of anything to do is only more prominent. When Kat Dennings stands out more than the damn HERO of the film you know you have an issue.

Loki and the score are about the only things making it worth seeing imo.

GremlinZilla89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 03:48 PM   #267
CosmicPinchy
Rock Lobster

Here's a question:

When Loki is dying and Thor says to him, "You fool, you didn't listen." What is he referring to?

I still haven't quite figured that one out.

CosmicPinchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 03:52 PM   #268
ares834
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicPinchy View Post
Here's a question:

When Loki is dying and Thor says to him, "You fool, you didn't listen." What is he referring to?

Pretty sure he tells Loki to stand back before fighting Kurse.

ares834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 03:54 PM   #269
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicPinchy View Post
Here's a question:

They had a plan, Loki didn't follow it (he didn't listen, and did what he wanted)

[=]
Old 11-11-2013, 03:55 PM   #270
CosmicPinchy
Rock Lobster

Ah, that clears it up. Thank you all.

CosmicPinchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 03:56 PM   #271
Rock Sexton
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Pleasury View Post
There's some hint of a love triangle with Syf, but nothing is developed at all.
It's hard to take people seriously when they continue to make this kind of remark. THERE IS NO LOVE TRIANGLE. Thor is entirely committed to Jane and it's well established in this film from his moping around. The movie does show that Sif obviously feels something for Thor (not clear to what degree), but it's not reciprocated in any way shape or form. So how can they develop a relationship that ISN'T THERE? That literally makes no sense.

You'll probably sit and tell me it's something you wanted to see, but that would be irrelevant to the discussion of how the film was executed.

Rock Sexton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 04:00 PM   #272
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Sexton View Post
It's hard to take people seriously when they continue to make this kind of remark. THERE IS NO LOVE TRIANGLE. Thor is entirely committed to Jane and it's well established in this film from his moping around. The movie does show that Sif obviously feels something for Thor, but it's not reciprocated in any way shape or form. So how can they develop a relationship that ISN'T THERE? That literally makes no sense.

You'll probably sit and tell me it's something you wanted to see, but that would be irrelevant to the discussion of how the film was executed.
yeah im not sure love triangle is the right word... but it's quite obvious that Sif was to be his betrothed... not as if they had plans for it, but Odin would prefer it, Mythology tells us it's so, so the 2 obviously have enough history to give that myth some origin, and Sif clearly has feelings towards him. it's a quasi love triangle.. but Thor has no feelings for her.

I sorta view Jane as a disruption in fate, what was suppose to be is no longer

[=]
Old 11-11-2013, 04:05 PM   #273
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Sexton View Post
It's hard to take people seriously when they continue to make this kind of remark. THERE IS NO LOVE TRIANGLE. Thor is entirely committed to Jane and it's well established in this film from his moping around. The movie does show that Sif obviously feels something for Thor (not clear to what degree), but it's not reciprocated in any way shape or form. So how can they develop a relationship that ISN'T THERE? That literally makes no sense.

There were three characters and Syf had Odin preferred her, but Thor didn't. Good enough little conflict there. There was something there to be explored, as the director decided to put it there. Somehow he hinted at it more than once in the movie but decided to do nothing with it.

Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 04:09 PM   #274
warriorking
Side-Kick

{It plays ever worse. All the issues I had with it the first time are only more apparent. I'm so shocked people are finding this better than the first film}.

Sorry but after seeing TTDW it's going to be impossible for me to sit down and watch Thor 1..
The production value, the look, Asgard, the action scenes, All are just so much better in TDW it's no comparison .
Thor 1 now looks like a SciFi TV movie compared to the TDW...
Thor 3 will be a game changer as well...

Last edited by warriorking; 11-11-2013 at 04:13 PM.
Old 11-11-2013, 04:11 PM   #275
Rock Sexton
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Pleasury View Post
There were three characters and Syf had Odin preferred her, but Thor didn't. Good enough little conflict there. There was something there to be explored, as the director decided to put it there. Somehow he hinted at it more than once in the movie but decided to do nothing with it.
A love triangle requires Thor to have some kind of reciprocated feelings towards Sif, creating confusion for himself, which would complete the triangle.

We don't have that in this film. They didn't include anything else because it was unimportant and didn't serve the direction of the story. So there was no point in "exploring" anything. How many more scenes do we need of Sif subtly hinting at her feelings to a man that does not want her? Three were enough.

Rock Sexton is offline   Reply With Quote