3 0 0%
2 0 0%
1 1 2.86%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-11-2013, 08:10 PM   #301
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Default Re: Fan Review Thread SPOILERS INSIDE - Part 2

A movie can have satisfactory closure and still get a sequel.

Imagine if they had removed the medal award ceremony from the original star wars, or showing sarah connor pregnant at the end of the first terminator, that would have been dumb.

DA_Champion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:16 PM   #302
Feenix
Formerly CosmicPinchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA_Champion View Post
A movie can have satisfactory closure and still get a sequel.

Imagine if they had removed the medal award ceremony from the original star wars, or showing sarah connor pregnant at the end of the first terminator, that would have been dumb.
The villain wasn't dead in A New Hope. There was clearly another story to be told. The medal scene provided zero closure as Vader nor Palpatine had not died and the heroes knew it.

With Thor on Earth and Loki and Malekith dead, the story is final. Loki has always been the crutch in Thor's side and how could they possibly have a Thor 3 with Ragnarok (as was hinted at by Kevin Feige I believe in an interview) without Loki?

No, having this ending with Loki on the throne sets up the sequel nicely, which any good sequel does. Jean Grey "dies" in X2, but the shadow of a Phoenix appears in the water at the end of the movie.

Last edited by Feenix; 11-11-2013 at 08:19 PM.
Feenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:33 PM   #303
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Closure doesn't mean closong every threads. It means closing the significant threads as per the story the movie told. ANH has closure because the rebel alliance survives, luke and han become heroes.

BTW grand moff tarkin dies in a new hope.

Thor 2 was about the thor jane relationship. Closure happens after the credits.

DA_Champion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:36 PM   #304
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

yeah... to be fair the emperor never appeared in the theatrical release of ANH, and the death star was destroyed.. vader might not of been, but the franchise could have litterally ended with 1 film and it would have been self contained and complete.

ending a film with ESB's ending however... would not.

DING DONG DOMA IS DEAD and PROP 8 has been slayed June 26th, 2013
[=]
spideyboy_1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 11:08 PM   #305
Brain Damage
Everything Under the Sun

Was I the only one who found this movie completely "meh"?

Free Original Music
Brain Damage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 11:12 PM   #306
theShape
Creature of Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brain Damage View Post
Was I the only one who found this movie completely "meh"?
No, you were not.

Old 11-11-2013, 11:18 PM   #307
Brain Damage
Everything Under the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by theShape View Post
No, you were not.
Yeah, I probably should have read some of the thread before I posted

Free Original Music
Brain Damage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 11:42 PM   #308
Adder
Side-Kick

This movie was quite the disappointment to me. not because its bad, its not. i'd give it a 7/10.

The problem is it was at least a 9/10 up until after the Loki death scene.

Immediately after that scene the tone shifts wildly to goofy comedy. His death is not given much importance at all. The film instead switches to dumb laughs 10 seconds after.

then the rest of the movie keeps that tone. So far Avengers is the only MCU movie that was actually ELEVATED by its climax.

TTDW maintains the trend of a weak 3rd act.

Adder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 11:56 PM   #309
CrypticOne
Beautiful Chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adder View Post
This movie was quite the disappointment to me. not because its bad, its not. i'd give it a 7/10.

Immediately after that scene the tone shifts wildly to goofy comedy. His death is not given much importance at all. The film instead switches to dumb laughs 10 seconds after.

then the rest of the movie keeps that tone. So far Avengers is the only MCU movie that was actually ELEVATED by its climax.

I have to agree with you on your review. Just got back from seeing it. Movie was awesome up until that final act where Thor goes to Earth.

A solid 7/10 for me. I really hope they come back stronger and lower the comedy levels for the upcoming MCU films. because when there is that much funny in a movie, I never feel the hero(s) are in any danger, so my care factor turns down.

"There has been an awakening. Have you felt it? The dark side. And the light."
CrypticOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:16 AM   #310
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adder View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrypticOne View Post
I have to agree with you on your review. Just got back from seeing it. Movie was awesome up until that final act where Thor goes to Earth.

A solid 7/10 for me. I really hope they come back stronger and lower the comedy levels for the upcoming MCU films. because when there is that much funny in a movie, I never feel the hero(s) are in any danger, so my care factor turns down.
I agree with you guys about a 7/10 rating, but I'm giving it that for the *opposite* reason from you guys: it's because it takes itself too *seriously.* Honestly, the jokes were the only time the movie felt alive at all to not only myself, but to my family and everyone else in the half-empty theater today. Otherwise, it was a total snoozefest of overly earnest and grim cardboard fantasy stereotypes wading through the same dull-ass storyline we've heard a billion times in movies and video games --- ancient evil awakens and threatens to destroy the universe, unless the chosen one can stop it. *zzzzzzzz*

Gotta admit, several months ago, I was worried when they announced this film was going to clock in under 2 hours.....didn't feel that there'd be enough time to convey an epic feel to it. In hindsight, I'm glad as hell it *wasn't* over two hours, because I seriously couldn't last another half hour or more.

Really disappointing to me....I was expecting a whole lot more from this. At least it did well at the box office, though, and will probably keep the franchise afloat....I just hope to hell we get Branagh back in the future, or someone other than Taylor. And a villain who's a helluva lot more interesting than Malekith.

To balance out some of the negative, I'll list a few positives I liked:

*Loki. Hiddleston continues to be a whole lot more interesting of a character and actor than Thor/Hemsworth. Only memorable character in the whole movie for me.

*Kurse. A pretty kickass look, and a decent but short fight.

*The plane-shifting climactic battle. Great concept and execution. Wish it was against a villain who had more than one dimension to his look and persona.

*Loki-Thor banter. It felt forced, in light of the situations that they found themselves in, but it made for some fun dialogue and exchanges. Particularly the body swaps, of course.

*The mid-credits scene. GOTG looks sooooo much more interesting and retro-stylish than this generic fantasy movie.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 01:37 AM   #311
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

I would agree that after Loki died the movie lacked a bit.But up until then I thought it was brilliant.

Hawkingbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 01:59 AM   #312
BrollySupersj
Talent for disruption

Saw it a few hours ago, good flick. Had much better action than the last movie. Humor was good too. Really enjoyed it.

Old 11-12-2013, 02:19 AM   #313
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

guys, use spoiler tags please, not everyone has seen this yet.

"I'm going to show you something beautiful. Everyone screaming, for mercy. You want to protect the world, but you don't want it to change. You're all puppets tangled in strings.......strings....... but now I'm free. There are no strings on me."

- Ultron V
Tony Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 03:31 AM   #314
Warhammer
Half Monk, Half Hitman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
That's on them. They are entering a fan review thread. Said thread also has spoilers in the title with all caps.

Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 03:54 AM   #315
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

Quote:
Didn't you think the "SPOILERS INSIDE" words hinted at something?

Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 06:30 AM   #316
GRangerPrimeNYC
AgentGodzillaRangerPrime

Do you guys recommend seeing this in 3D

A:IW1&2/ CA:CW/ T:R/ DS/ I/ A:AoU/ A/ GotG2/ BP/ CM
GRangerPrimeNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:22 AM   #317
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Saw it for a 2nd time today, while overall I enjoyed it more, the flaws just seemed even more glaring on 2nd viewing as well. Half the humour didnt get a 2nd from me, or a laugh from the rest of the people seeing it. Thats why I dont think this, like IM3, will stand up much to repeat viewing, as the comedy seemed a bit stale and even more glaringly misplaced than before.

BUT, the bits I enjoyed the 1st time, I enjoyed even more 2nd time as well, some great action, though the final fight was a disappointment, great banter between Thor and Loki and visually the movie is stunning. Kurse was a monster and would have loved to see more of him. In fact, the non Earth based characters should have all had more screentime, this would have been possible had the movie been longer, which it should have.

This stays at a 8/10 for me, but were as on 1st viewing it was bordering on a 7/10, now it is a solid 8. The score grew on me hugely on 2nd viewing also.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Interstellar-9.5(3)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(4)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(5)Gone Girl-9(6)Captain America: TWS-9(7)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(8)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(9)WOWS-8.5(10)Godzilla-8(11)Neighbours-8(12)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(13)Lego Movie-7.5(14)Transformers: AOE-7.5(15)Robocop-7.5(16)Sin City: ADTDF-7(17)300:ROAE-7(18)The Equalizer-7(19)MWTDITW-7(20)47 Ronin-6(21)Monuments Men-5(22)Ride Along-5(23)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:58 AM   #318
Figs
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON View Post
Saw it for a 2nd time today, while overall I enjoyed it more, the flaws just seemed even more glaring on 2nd viewing as well. Half the humour didnt get a 2nd from me, or a laugh from the rest of the people seeing it. Thats why I dont think this, like IM3, will stand up much to repeat viewing, as the comedy seemed a bit stale and even more glaringly misplaced than before.

BUT, the bits I enjoyed the 1st time, I enjoyed even more 2nd time as well, some great action, though the final fight was a disappointment, great banter between Thor and Loki and visually the movie is stunning. Kurse was a monster and would have loved to see more of him. In fact, the non Earth based characters should have all had more screentime, this would have been possible had the movie been longer, which it should have.

This stays at a 8/10 for me, but were as on 1st viewing it was bordering on a 7/10, now it is a solid 8. The score grew on me hugely on 2nd viewing also.
When I saw it the theater was full and the audience did laugh at a good amount of the jokes like when Thor puts his hammer on the coat hanger and the scene that had the audience laughing loud was of course when Loki changes into
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Captain America.

I agree about Kurse, people complained about Maliketh but I think Kurse should have had a much longer fight with Thor. The fight with Maliketh should have been longer. If they're going to throw that much humor in the middle of the fight, they should have had more footage of Thor and Mal actually fighting. They slid around too much and I can't remember but did they cut out that scene from the trailer/clips where they're in the air and Thor slams him in the face with Mjolnir? I need to see it a second time.

Figs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:16 AM   #319
GremlinZilla89
Banned User

I may have said this already but one of the things that really bugs me is how bland Asgard looks in the film.

Everyone was going on about Taylor being the director and bringing grit and darkness to Thor. WHY!? Why the F--K does every single comic book movie need to be dark!?!?! It's absolutely ridiculous. Everyone is saying how much more "realistic" and "lived in" Asgard looks compared to the first one. So flippin' what? The film sacrificed the golden opulence of the first film for just another generic gritty fantasy world. The Asgard of the first film was simply stunning. It's use of lighting and colors created a unique world that truly felt alien. Asgard in TDW and the other realms felt like outtakes from the Star Wars prequels. Sure, on an objective level the effects were good, but on a visual level they were bland as hell. The opening establishing shot of Asgard in the first film is more impressive than anything that happens in TDW. The film had no visual personality. The first film was full of great camera work and cinematography.
And the lack of any standout action for most of TDW was really felt on my second viewing. All of the fights were the most bland and uninspired I've seen in a superhero film. The only thing I remember is Heimdall taking out that fighter ship and Thor getting his face smashed in by Kurse. That's it. The Jotunheim fight in Thor is better than anything in the sequel.

GremlinZilla89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:03 PM   #320
Crimson King
Superhero Novelista

I couldn't disagree more. Asgard in Thor 1 was overly CGIed and looked like a model. Asgard in TDW looked like an actual alien city.

Old 11-12-2013, 12:48 PM   #321
TheQuestion

In my opinion, TDW has been the most enjoyable addition to the MCU since Iron Man.

TheQuestion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 01:01 PM   #322
Endeavor
Que bolá con el timbeque?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson King View Post
I couldn't disagree more. Asgard in Thor 1 was overly CGIed and looked like a model. Asgard in TDW looked like an actual alien city.
CK what did you think of the scene in your avatar?
The look was directed towards Jane after all, heh.

Old 11-12-2013, 01:32 PM   #323
Crimson King
Superhero Novelista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endeavor View Post
CK what did you think of the scene in your avatar?
The look was directed towards Jane after all, heh.
I like the shade she threw in my avatar better than the one that made it into the movie.

As a Sif fan, I'm hoping that Thor and Jane break up off screen between now and Thor 3. I want Thor 3 to be totally off-world. If Jane's in it, I won't get that, nor will I get the Sif/Thor pairing I want.

Old 11-12-2013, 01:36 PM   #324
C. Lee
I'm not old...I'm ancient
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Normally I would side with you on this....but the thread title says in big letters SPOILERS INSIDE.

C. Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 02:12 PM   #325
Coolcat3
Side-Kick

3/5 for me. I really liked this movie. The Thor & Loki Dynamic, The Star Wars meets Lord of the Rings art styles even the dynamic between Malekith & Algrim was well executed. How the film balanced the screen-time for all of the characters with less than two hours to do so was well done. After reading early reviews on these forums I expected to be annoyed by the humor but that wasn't the case at all for me. I also read that Malekith was a horrible villian that wasn't the case either, he may have been under developed but he wasn't by any stretch a "horrible" villain.

Some of my favorite moments in this film were

Algrim's transformation to Kurse. Even the kursed ones in the beginning. Very well Done and a great way to introduce Kurse into the MCU and he was a threat the whole time. I just hope he is still alive and that the black hole grenades only brought him elswhere.

Also the final battle was well done when bouncing between realms. I was just hoping that they would get to Muspelheim at least once.

And finally...
The mid credit scene. If Guardians maintains that tone it will be one of the more interesting films you will see next year. It was almost like The fifth element.

Coolcat3 is offline   Reply With Quote