3 0 0%
2 0 0%
1 1 2.86%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-12-2013, 03:22 PM   #326
Loki882
Side-Kick

Default Re: Fan Review Thread SPOILERS INSIDE - Part 2

I don't think that the movie is BAD. When I say it's disappointing, it's simply because they got me really excited. The way that they were talking, the pre-release materials, the trailers, etc. It all made this look like it was going to be epically awesome. And I can even see elements in the film that could have made that happen, if they'd been executed better. It could have been fantastic, but it turned out to be merely decent and that's why it was disappointing to me. It certainly wasn't a bad film, it just could have been so much more.

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 03:30 PM   #327
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON View Post
Saw it for a 2nd time today, while overall I enjoyed it more, the flaws just seemed even more glaring on 2nd viewing as well. Half the humour didnt get a 2nd from me, or a laugh from the rest of the people seeing it. Thats why I dont think this, like IM3, will stand up much to repeat viewing, as the comedy seemed a bit stale and even more glaringly misplaced than before.

BUT, the bits I enjoyed the 1st time, I enjoyed even more 2nd time as well, some great action, though the final fight was a disappointment, great banter between Thor and Loki and visually the movie is stunning. Kurse was a monster and would have loved to see more of him. In fact, the non Earth based characters should have all had more screentime, this would have been possible had the movie been longer, which it should have.

This stays at a 8/10 for me, but were as on 1st viewing it was bordering on a 7/10, now it is a solid 8. The score grew on me hugely on 2nd viewing also.
You're right about the humor. You can tell right away it's disposable humor. As I said in my review (or somewhere), in a world where comedy have reached levels of The Simpsons, South Park and so many other shows with great re-viewing value, Marvel still uses throwaway jokes.

Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 05:25 PM   #328
voyzovrezon
nobody's fool

I saw it today early matinee. The reason being no kids (all in school) and no teenagers on cell phones text messaging. To me, that was the best part about my movie experience seeing the film.

The second---the best performance goes to Hiddleston as Loki. He was great (and I"m not just speaking as a fan of his angelic face) but the performance had great range---anger, humor, sadness, and what he does best---scheming.

The second best part was Stellen Skarsgard as Selvig. For me, he gave the funniest line in the film:

Selvig: ...you didn't bring your brother I hope?
Thor: Loki's dead.
Selvig: Oh, thank god! I mean, I'm sorry...

I choked up at Frigga's death too.

The best action scenes were the escape from Asgard in the ship and the fight on the ground with Loki.

Old 11-12-2013, 07:08 PM   #329
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figs View Post
When I saw it the theater was full and the audience did laugh at a good amount of the jokes like when Thor puts his hammer on the coat hanger and the scene that had the audience laughing loud was of course when Loki changes into
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Captain America.
The 1st time I watched the movie that was the case, everyone laughed a lot during the movie, but in my 2nd viewing, I was the only one laughing at some scenes, like the one you mentioned, but a lot of the humour didnt stand up 2nd time around either, I think this will effect the movie on repeat viewings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figs View Post
I agree about Kurse, people complained about Maliketh but I think Kurse should have had a much longer fight with Thor. The fight with Maliketh should have been longer. If they're going to throw that much humor in the middle of the fight, they should have had more footage of Thor and Mal actually fighting. They slid around too much and I can't remember but did they cut out that scene from the trailer/clips where they're in the air and Thor slams him in the face with Mjolnir? I need to see it a second time.
That part was in it, remember it both times. But yeah, the action in general needed to be longer. The Kurse fight was awesome but far too short, it lacked the impact on my 2nd viewing it had on my 1st. It just didnt last long enough, and Thor having a comeback moment before being slapped down again should have been in there.

There should have been a moment were both Loki and Thor were fighting Kurse as well at the same time, would have been amazing, then maybe they could have had a scene were Loki abandons Thor in the fight and we think he really has betrayed him this time, only for him to come back and stab Kurse as he did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Pleasury View Post
You're right about the humor. You can tell right away it's disposable humor. As I said in my review (or somewhere), in a world where comedy have reached levels of The Simpsons, South Park and so many other shows with great re-viewing value, Marvel still uses throwaway jokes.
Yep, some of it was good, and will get a laugh from me every time I watch the movie, but on 2nd viewing a lot of it got annoying and just didnt need to be there.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Interstellar-9.5(3)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(4)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(5)Gone Girl-9(6)Captain America: TWS-9(7)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(8)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(9)WOWS-8.5(10)Godzilla-8(11)Neighbours-8(12)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(13)Lego Movie-7.5(14)Transformers: AOE-7.5(15)Robocop-7.5(16)Sin City: ADTDF-7(17)300:ROAE-7(18)The Equalizer-7(19)MWTDITW-7(20)47 Ronin-6(21)Monuments Men-5(22)Ride Along-5(23)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:34 PM   #330
conan69
Cimmerian

Thor is my favorite Marvel film...and I thought The Dark World was really lousy.

Good chemistry with the cast, but other than that, I thought it was really just a half hearted mess.

Except for the psych ward science lecture scene, the humor made me cringe. Darcys character.... ugh. Please.. make it stop.

And that mid credits sequence = a huge WTF... Where was that filmed, in a storage space with a local high school supplying props? It was Galaxina bad.

My expectations were low and this was a big disappointment to me. I was hoping Thor wouldnt be another Iron Man with a solid first film and 2 crappy sequels.

Great characters, a really good cast, lots of amazing source material to adapt from... what a waste.

Edit: I will admit the Loki bits were really well done in this film.

Last edited by conan69; 11-13-2013 at 08:55 AM.
conan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 12:29 AM   #331
Marvel
Side-Kick

Quote:
Saw it for a 2nd time today, while overall I enjoyed it more, the flaws just seemed even more glaring on 2nd viewing as well. Half the humour didnt get a 2nd from me, or a laugh from the rest of the people seeing it. Thats why I dont think this, like IM3, will stand up much to repeat viewing, as the comedy seemed a bit stale and even more glaringly misplaced than before.

BUT, the bits I enjoyed the 1st time, I enjoyed even more 2nd time as well, some great action, though the final fight was a disappointment, great banter between Thor and Loki and visually the movie is stunning. Kurse was a monster and would have loved to see more of him. In fact, the non Earth based characters should have all had more screentime, this would have been possible had the movie been longer, which it should have.

This stays at a 8/10 for me, but were as on 1st viewing it was bordering on a 7/10, now it is a solid 8. The score grew on me hugely on 2nd viewing also.
It was 8/10 after the first and stayed 8/10 after the second for me.

I agree that the odd placed humor stands out even more on repeat viewing. A lot of the humor works and works well but trying to lift darker moments with some of the stuff just doesn't work.

They could have cut...

the phone signal call with the ditched date and Thor riding the train very easy and it would be a better film. Loki just "died"... that was not the time for any attempt at humor. Run it the same way and then use him hanging the hammer on the hook. That should have been the time for the relief laugh.

Overall, I may have enjoyed it more knowing the outcome looking for certain clues and the action holds up SUPERBLY well over repeat viewing.

Marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 12:40 AM   #332
MLSkinner
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson King View Post
I couldn't disagree more. Asgard in Thor 1 was overly CGIed and looked like a model. Asgard in TDW looked like an actual alien city.
Asgard in TDW was 100% better than the original. It looked like a real set was built for most of it. It had a Lord of the Rings look to it.

MLSkinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 01:11 AM   #333
DA_Champion
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

I thought the second movie looked fake but that might be because of the 3D.

In the first movie, at least they had authentic new mexico, a military installation, and the ice planet.

London was pretty depressing in Thor 2. Just warehouses and rain -- boring.

Last edited by DA_Champion; 11-13-2013 at 01:15 AM.
DA_Champion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 01:19 AM   #334
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator

Finally got to see this and I absolutely loved it. I'll probably do a more in depth review later but I really enjoyed Hiddlestons performance. Big highlight for me along with many other aspects.

10/10

For every man there is a cause which he would proudly die for. Defend the right to have a place for which he can belong to...and every man will fight with his bare hands in desperation...and shed his blood to stem the flood to barricade invasion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arata 新 View Post
I don't like how USA portray Godzilla. Godzilla is a good man and kind man. Why can't Americans see this?
Monica Bellucci for Hippolyta in SvB
craigdbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 04:47 AM   #335
Human Torch
The Boss in Blue

Saw it tonight,finally.I thought it was fantastic.Much of it surprised me (having not read spoilers).Some of the negatives that have been brought up,are fair.(some of the humor not working,some of it is poorly paced) but overall,I was very pleased.The ending has me more than anticipating the next Thor film.

9/10

We are T. H. E. M.
Human Torch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 06:12 AM   #336
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

I'm actually curious to hear some people weigh in on this, but do you guys think that they should have kept Loki dead after he was supposedly killed by Kurse? Or does it work out better, story wise, that he actually survived and was alive in the end?

herolee10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 06:35 AM   #337
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
I'm actually curious to hear some people weigh in on this, but do you guys think that they should have kept Loki dead after he was supposedly killed by Kurse? Or does it work out better, story wise, that he actually survived and was alive in the end?
Dead, of course. Making it a hoax was so predictable. Anyways, whatever happened to Odin, then?

Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:08 AM   #338
jmc
callin' it like I see it

Quote:
Sadly the entire 'death' scene rang hollow to me because I knew instantly Marvel wouldn't have the balls to do it, especially given how popular Hiddleston is. It's a great scene undone by the fact it was always going to be for naught. Frankly if Marvel can't even kill off Coulson there's no way they will kill off the main villain. To be honest though, it may have done them a world of good to have killed him off because it would have meant them having to come up with a decent villain. Loki's become somewhat of a crutch for Marvel, not unlike RDJ as Stark.

Fanboys make excuses, real fans acknowledge screw-ups.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.

Last edited by jmc; 11-13-2013 at 08:21 AM. Reason: grammar
jmc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:43 AM   #339
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

I actually thought they might kill off loki , only to bring him back via Hel in Thor 3. I knew he wouldn't "really" be dead

spideyboy_1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:57 AM   #340
warriorking
Side-Kick

After watching MOS last night I realized even with its faults that the TDW was far more enjoyable..

warriorking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:59 AM   #341
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Pleasury View Post
Dead, of course. Making it a hoax was so predictable. Anyways, whatever happened to Odin, then?

That's part of the reason it's such a terrible, tacked-on epilogue. It suggests that Loki killed Odin, an implication that Anthony Hopkins and Alan Taylor have since confirmed in interviews, and that makes one of the most universe-shaking events in the MCU(i.e., the murder of the Allfather and the usurpation of the Asgardian throne by Loki) little more than an off-screen "oh by the way...." afterthought. Pathetic.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:14 AM   #342
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvel View Post
It was 8/10 after the first and stayed 8/10 after the second for me.

I agree that the odd placed humor stands out even more on repeat viewing. A lot of the humor works and works well but trying to lift darker moments with some of the stuff just doesn't work.

They could have cut...

the phone signal call with the ditched date and Thor riding the train very easy and it would be a better film. Loki just "died"... that was not the time for any attempt at humor. Run it the same way and then use him hanging the hammer on the hook. That should have been the time for the relief laugh.

Overall, I may have enjoyed it more knowing the outcome looking for certain clues and the action holds up SUPERBLY well over repeat viewing.
Cutting those scenes you mentioned would have made the movie much better, replace the phone signal call with O'Dowd with Thor grieving for Loki and Jane comforting him, then she sees the can and the keys, would have made the whole scene better.

I think in general the good stuff in the movie will hold up really well on repeat viewing, but the bad stuff will just get worse instead of becoming tolerable. I may be seeing this a 3rd time so I will have to see.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Interstellar-9.5(3)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(4)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(5)Gone Girl-9(6)Captain America: TWS-9(7)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(8)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(9)WOWS-8.5(10)Godzilla-8(11)Neighbours-8(12)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(13)Lego Movie-7.5(14)Transformers: AOE-7.5(15)Robocop-7.5(16)Sin City: ADTDF-7(17)300:ROAE-7(18)The Equalizer-7(19)MWTDITW-7(20)47 Ronin-6(21)Monuments Men-5(22)Ride Along-5(23)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:52 AM   #343
Feenix
Formerly CosmicPinchy

Quote:
Cutting those scenes you mentioned would have made the movie much better, replace the phone signal call with O'Dowd with Thor grieving for Loki and Jane comforting him, then she sees the can and the keys, would have made the whole scene better.

I think in general the good stuff in the movie will hold up really well on repeat viewing, but the bad stuff will just get worse instead of becoming tolerable. I may be seeing this a 3rd time so I will have to see.

Well, it's good you will decide that after a 3rd viewing and giving Marvel more money.

Feenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:25 AM   #344
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post
Sadly the entire 'death' scene rang hollow to me because I knew instantly Marvel wouldn't have the balls to do it, especially given how popular Hiddleston is. It's a great scene undone by the fact it was always going to be for naught. Frankly if Marvel can't even kill off Coulson there's no way they will kill off the main villain. To be honest though, it may have done them a world of good to have killed him off because it would have meant them having to come up with a decent villain. Loki's become somewhat of a crutch for Marvel, not unlike RDJ as Stark.
It feels like no one ever really stays dead at times within the MCU doesn't it?lol I mean Bucky, Coulson, and Loki all had death scenes but they all made it back somehow.lol

herolee10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:44 AM   #345
First Avenger
Side-Kick

Yinsen,Erskine,Stane,Vanko,Maya Hansen,Laufey are all dead btw.

First Avenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:48 AM   #346
Figs
Banned User

Quote:
There should have been a moment were both Loki and Thor were fighting Kurse as well at the same time, would have been amazing, then maybe they could have had a scene were Loki abandons Thor in the fight and we think he really has betrayed him this time, only for him to come back and stab Kurse as he did.
Now that would have been great.

I was really unhappy Loki was basically the one who took Kurse out. It reminded me of IM and the fact that he hasn't taken out a single villain on his own yet, which is ridiculous.

Stane - Pepper blows the reactor. If she didn't do that Tony would have lost. Stane had him dead to rights.
Vanko - He needed War Machine's help.
Hammer - Black Widow and once again Pepper dealt with him
Pierce Mandarin - Pepper for the third time takes care of the villain.

I'm hoping Black Widow and or Falcon don't end up taking out Winter Soldier or whatever other villains they may have in the film. Out of the solo films so far, only TIH and the first Thor had the heroes take care of the problem themselves.

Avengers and Guardians are the exceptions because they are team films.

I'm going to bring my parents and sister to see this before it's out of the theaters, but if it wasn't for them, I think I would wait for Blu-ray to watch this again. I definitely did not hate the film by any means, but there were a lot of missed opportunities.

Figs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:51 AM   #347
warriorking
Side-Kick

Odin's death will be an on screen event, if it happens at all.
He is too central to the story to be killed off camera...

warriorking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 11:09 AM   #348
conan69
Cimmerian

Quote:
It feels like no one ever really stays dead at times within the MCU doesn't it?lol I mean Bucky, Coulson, and Loki all had death scenes but they all made it back somehow.lol

Yea, but everything with Loki is a slight of hand... so I think most who pay attention or understand his character expected him to have faked his death. I certainly grinned knowing it wasnt real.

And I agree that Odin dying at Lokis hand off screen would be a problem. Thats the problem when you hire these thesbian serious actors. How are you supposed to keep them coming back to these "silly comic book films" time and time again.

conan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 11:21 AM   #349
Visualiza
What is a yout?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brain Damage View Post
Was I the only one who found this movie completely "meh"?
Nope. I'm right there with you. What puzzles me is that this is yet another mediocre film celebrated as being among the genre's best. It pains me to say it, but Ethan Hawke was right, especially after this season of superhero flicks.

Anyway, one of my main issues with the film is that it lacks the personality, charm, and wit that the rest of Marvel's catalogue has been rife with thus far. This isn't the first film in the MCU to have a fairly generic plot, but it is the first to feature such flaccid characters, dialogue, and interactions. This is the area where I've been forgiving of these films in the past, as they never failed to deliver on the character front, but with this film, I can honestly say that the only two characters I gave a damn about were Loki and, surprisingly enough, Frigga. Rene Russo did an excellent job considering her small amount of screen time(I'd say the same for her in Thor, btw, her role just wasn't quite as pivotal in that film).

Also, with regard to the characters, many of the relationships from the first film were either butchered or tossed aside. Selvig's paternal relationship with Jane was dissolved completely, while Thor and Jane's romance felt very matter-of-fact and obligatory, completely lacking the charm and chemistry that was previously there. Oddly enough, Darcy and her buffoon of an intern somehow managed to fill that particular void, having more charm, wit, and tension than that of the two leads, but therein lies the problem - I'm not interested in seeing a Darcy romance, so it didn't resonate with me at all. The Thor/Loki subplot was exceptional, but every other relationship, Thor/Odin, Thor/Warriors Three, was glossed over in this film; it was about as soulless as it could get.

I also didn't like how trivial the important events of the film seemed. The 9 realms are at war, the universe is on the brink of extinction, and it was all very ho-hum with the way it was presented. The former itself could have made for a very compelling film in its own right, but again, the entire affair was swept under the rug as if it were just another walk in the park for Thor & his amazing friends. I attribute this directly to the lack of build up and tension, which falls squarely on the shoulders of Taylor. Everything was thrown right in front of the audience without the proper build up; from the Aether possessing Jane(a weak pretext for their reunion and getting her to Asgard), to Malekith's awakening(straight outta nowheresville), the invasion of Asgard, and that sad excuse of a plan by Thor and Loki. That was the epitome of awful writing - let's march right up to the villain's doorstep and hand him the MacGuffin he's been searching for all along. Not to mention the fact that Malekith was keen enough to sniff out the Aether to the point where he knew that it had possessed Jane and tracked it to Frigga's chambers...so after he's deceived he leaves to search for it...where exactly? They shouldn't have written themselves into such a corner in the first place, but I point to this as it simply highlights the pinheaded writing of the plot as a whole. Malekith, for all his huffing and puffing, was about as insignificant as a headlining villain could get. Talk about criminally underutilized, his look and demeanor was excellent, it would have been nice if the audience was given a reason to care about him in the first place. I'd compare him to Vanko, in that the character was well acted, menacing, and intriguing enough at first, but simply wasn't given much as the film went on.

It wasn't all bad, as I said before I enjoyed the interactions that Loki and Thor had, as well as Frigga's contribution. The climax was well done, and the way they disposed of Malekith was pretty clever if nothing else. For as lukewarm as the plot was, Loki's deception is potentially earth-shattering, depending upon how Feige & Co. decide to move forward with it. I do, however, think that it revealed a bit of a plot hole, in that Loki couldn't have known that Thor was going to save the universe, effectively securing his little coup d'etat(especially after that fiasco on Svartalfheim). The whole universe being destroyed thing would have really spoiled his day in the sun after all, and about the only way I think this could be explained away is if this entire little adventure was an elaborate illusion by Loki(awful idea). That wouldn't exactly justify the existence of the Aether, but enough on that.

In spite of my criticisms, I don't think it was a bad film, just a very average one. The humor was well done, the action well shot and choreographed, and the rest of it was entertaining enough to sit through...it was just all kinda ho-hum. Not exemplary by any means, unless of course the example to be illustrated is mediocrity on an inflated budget.

Visualiza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 11:36 AM   #350
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
That's part of the reason it's such a terrible, tacked-on epilogue. It suggests that Loki killed Odin, an implication that Anthony Hopkins and Alan Taylor have since confirmed in interviews, and that makes one of the most universe-shaking events in the MCU(i.e., the murder of the Allfather and the usurpation of the Asgardian throne by Loki) little more than an off-screen "oh by the way...." afterthought. Pathetic.
It didn't seem that way to me. In my view it looked as if the revelation was too much for Odin and that he ended up going into Odin sleep just like he did in the first film. It was too much for him to handle. Loki probably hid him somewhere in the meantime.

For every man there is a cause which he would proudly die for. Defend the right to have a place for which he can belong to...and every man will fight with his bare hands in desperation...and shed his blood to stem the flood to barricade invasion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arata 新 View Post
I don't like how USA portray Godzilla. Godzilla is a good man and kind man. Why can't Americans see this?
Monica Bellucci for Hippolyta in SvB
craigdbfan is offline   Reply With Quote