1 1 2.86%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-16-2013, 06:26 PM   #551
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Default Re: Fan Review Thread SPOILERS INSIDE - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickleweasel View Post
Wait I was kind of thinking how would idris Elba (can't remember the characters name) not know Loki was just impersonating Odin? Can't he like see everything
Isn't Heimdall in jail for helping Thor and Loki escape?

DA_Champion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 10:40 PM   #552
THANOSRULES
Side-Kick

Just saw the film..summary: Liked it, had some faults but great flick overrall. probably around an 8.5/10 in my book.

Pros

-Very good story
-Costume design...everything from the random marauders in the opening battle, to Kurse, to Asgardians had a real firm comics root, i could really see some Jack Kirby influence in those bandits in the beginning..loved the costumes and feel of asgard. Awesome to see something like a Saturn man/ Korg, really "embraced the source material"
-Idris Elba shined
-Loki once again somewhat steals the show.
-God Natalie Portman is just a freakin good looking woman.

Gripes

-FInal was somewhat of an underwhelm..i was expecting perhaps a massive Dark Elf/ Asgardian battle and the way they went was not horrible...but i wasnt in love with all the portal stuff.
-Collector scene was kinda dissapointing as well...just seemed like a deleted scene from an episode of Dr. Who or something.
-Wanted more SIF!

all in all very well done.

MARVEL, BRING BACK THE ORIGINAL NEW WARRIORS!
THANOSRULES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 07:00 AM   #553
Green Goblin
Past, Present and Future

6/10

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
The Sinister Six- The album
Doc Ock Green Goblin Rhino Kraven Mysterio
Featuring hits like "lol haters, we aint giveing up the rights" "Forget you, Sam Raimi" "Marc Webb aint my daddy" "Hey WB, we made a female superhero movie!"

Hitting a store near you in 2016!
Green Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 06:24 PM   #554
DorneyDave
Side-Kick

It was okay for me. Thor was my favorite pre-Avengers phase 1 film, so I had high hopes for this one.

A lot of it just didn't really connect for me. There was almost TOO much humor, it impacted the story in a negative way.

The villain was really poor, as has been the case for most of these MCU movies without Loki.

7/10

Last edited by DorneyDave; 11-17-2013 at 06:32 PM.
DorneyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 08:51 PM   #555
BillPardy
Side-Kick

My biggest complaint is to many lasers.

I'm not of Malekith in the comics, wasn't a huge fan of him in the movie. Kurse was cool, but I liked his armor disguise more then his transformed appearance. I do appreciate that it was a guy in a suit, with some CGI not just pure CGI.

I also like the use of the Warriors three.

BillPardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 09:34 PM   #556
hafizbat
Side-Kick

Whoooooooooooooooooo CAPTAIN AMERICA best cameo everrrrrrrrrrr the crowd went wildddddddddddddddddd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

hafizbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 12:49 AM   #557
Thoix
Side-Kick

Pros:
Solid story
Asgardian characters were good
Pretty good twists
Action
Most of the CGI

Cons:
Human characters are boring and don't seel needed
Too much unnecessary and unfunny humor
Too much time spent on human characters/not enough time apent on Asgardian characters
The villain
Some of the CGI (looked incredibly fake)

Overall: 6/10, Decent

Thoix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 02:45 AM   #558
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

By the way, did anyone else enjoy that shot of Thor when he was traveling through the bi-frost portal with Jane? The look of that shot mixed with the upbeat music made it feel so epic.

On another note, I swear, Marvel makes it hard at times to see Loki as a villain...course that could be just Tom's performance, but you just can't help but root for Loki at times whenever you see him on film.

herolee10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 02:55 AM   #559
Saitou Hajime
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
On another note, I swear, Marvel makes it hard at times to see Loki as a villain...course that could be just Tom's performance, but you just can't help but root for Loki at times whenever you see him on film.
Trickster archetypes makes for the best magnificent bastards, who are all but impossible to root against.

Saitou Hajime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 03:17 AM   #560
FeedOnATreeFrog
A Metal Gear reference

Quote:
By the way, did anyone else enjoy that shot of Thor when he was traveling through the bi-frost portal with Jane? The look of that shot mixed with the upbeat music made it feel so epic.

Bifrost travel is super awesome, both in this movie and Thor 1.

I find Loki to be the opposite of menacing. Hiddleston looks goofy to me.

FeedOnATreeFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 03:25 AM   #561
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Hythlodeus View Post
we haven't seen them since the battle of new york though. (except for a minute long cameo of Banner) I guess they were affected by the mind rape too and we will see how exactly it affected them in TA2. I guess the battle of new york affected all of them, since it was a major game changer for the whole world, even Tony suffered from PTSD. it is not unbelievable that some can cope with that better than others and Selvig couldn't cope with what happend to him personally at all

luckily 2016 isn't that far away
Personally, I think the only reason why Selvig had somewhat of a mental breakdown after being controlled by Loki (and why Banner and Clint probably didn't) is because Loki implanted actual knowledge about the universe and the physics of how the Cosmic Cube worked when he was working for Loki, whereas Clint and Banner were just being influenced to do Loki's bidding, no questions asked.

Old 11-18-2013, 07:14 AM   #562
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Quote:

One of my favourite parts of the movie, everything just seemed perfect, Jane's reaction was great as well afterwards.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(4)Captain America: TWS-9(5)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(6)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(7)Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(8)Godzilla-8(9)Neighbours-8(10)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(11)Lego Movie-7.5(12)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(13)Robocop-7.5(14)Sin City: ADTDF-7(15)300:ROAE-7(16)Million Ways To Die In The West-7(17)47 Ronin-6(18)Monuments Men-5(19)Ride Along-5(20)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 07:30 AM   #563
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

It's kind of hard to believe though that this film had the flaws that it had considering that you had the guy that wrote "Saving Private Ryan" attached to it in a screenwriting capacity.

Old 11-18-2013, 07:42 AM   #564
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Quote:
It's kind of hard to believe though that this film had the flaws that it had considering that you had the guy that wrote "Saving Private Ryan" attached to it in a screenwriting capacity.
Well personally I think Marvel were the problem here, if Taylor had been left to his own devices I think we would have gotten a much better movie with more substance and more character scenes.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(4)Captain America: TWS-9(5)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(6)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(7)Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(8)Godzilla-8(9)Neighbours-8(10)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(11)Lego Movie-7.5(12)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(13)Robocop-7.5(14)Sin City: ADTDF-7(15)300:ROAE-7(16)Million Ways To Die In The West-7(17)47 Ronin-6(18)Monuments Men-5(19)Ride Along-5(20)I, Frankenstein-3
Old 11-18-2013, 07:51 AM   #565
Crimson King
Superhero Novelista

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON View Post
Well personally I think Marvel were the problem here, if Taylor had been left to his own devices I think we would have gotten a much better movie with more substance and more character scenes.
Yes and No. Did you like the skiff scene between Loki and Thor? That wasn't in Taylor's script. I also don't think Taylor get the greatest performances out of his group of actors. That's not Marvel's fault.

On the other hand, it sounds like Taylor's opening to the movie was about a million percent better than the lazy voiceover exposition that we got. I'm looking forward to the day when I can splice that deleted scene onto the front of the movie and up Malekith's character depth by a factor of ten.

Though, it wasn't like Malekith was very good even with a theoretical third dimension to him. Eccleston kind of phoned it in (again, Taylor is partially to blame there).

Old 11-18-2013, 08:03 AM   #566
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson King View Post
Yes and No. Did you like the skiff scene between Loki and Thor? That wasn't in Taylor's script. I also don't think Taylor get the greatest performances out of his group of actors. That's not Marvel's fault.

On the other hand, it sounds like Taylor's opening to the movie was about a million percent better than the lazy voiceover exposition that we got. I'm looking forward to the day when I can splice that deleted scene onto the front of the movie and up Malekith's character depth by a factor of ten.

Though, it wasn't like Malekith was very good even with a theoretical third dimension to him. Eccleston kind of phoned it in (again, Taylor is partially to blame there).
But Taylor has no problems getting performances from the GoT cast. He has directed around 7/8 of the 10 best episodes of the series so far and everything in those episodes were great, including the acting.

I again think Marvel's meddling effected the movie in this way as the movie changed so much from when they started out. You mention the skiff scene, which was what Whedon added, not sure if Marvel asked him to do so though as I just thought he was doing a pass on the script (as he does for all the movies) and added this in.

Adding in the amount of humour did NOT help the movie at all, neither did making it 111 mins, both of which were Marvel decisions. Taylor wanted to make it darker and more serious, which would have helped IMO because I dont think this means it would have been devoid of humour, but more serious when it needed to be. Sounds like some really good scenes were cut out as well. All this points to me thinking the movie would have been better if Marvel hadnt meddled.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:32 AM   #567
Crimson King
Superhero Novelista

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON View Post
But Taylor has no problems getting performances from the GoT cast. He has directed around 7/8 of the 10 best episodes of the series so far and everything in those episodes were great, including the acting.

I again think Marvel's meddling effected the movie in this way as the movie changed so much from when they started out. You mention the skiff scene, which was what Whedon added, not sure if Marvel asked him to do so though as I just thought he was doing a pass on the script (as he does for all the movies) and added this in.

Adding in the amount of humour did NOT help the movie at all, neither did making it 111 mins, both of which were Marvel decisions. Taylor wanted to make it darker and more serious, which would have helped IMO because I dont think this means it would have been devoid of humour, but more serious when it needed to be. Sounds like some really good scenes were cut out as well. All this points to me thinking the movie would have been better if Marvel hadnt meddled.
Taylor was responsible for a lot of the added humor. He said so in interviews. And yes, it is Taylor's fault that the actors looked bored at times, not Marvel's. They aren't sitting next to him on set at all times giving direction.

Whedon works for Marvel, so having him come in to work on a scene is no different than any other "meddling" you talk about. No one celebrates when Marvel's additions are good, only when there's something to complain about.

I think both Marvel and Taylor are to blame (if blame is even necessary--it wasn't a bad movie).

Old 11-18-2013, 09:09 AM   #568
warriorking
Side-Kick

The humor worked most of the time, I just thought they should have placed it differently in places, particularly after the Viking funeral .
We should have gone to a scene where Jane helps Thor with his grief....I also thought there should have been a scene with Jane and Frigga having a women to women talk..
Frigga likes and respects Jane unlike Odin, it should have merited some screen time...

Last edited by warriorking; 11-18-2013 at 09:14 AM.
warriorking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:14 AM   #569
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

What is this too much humor complaint? I thought the first film had too much humor and bad humor as well, why would it be any different in the sequel? I think IM3 had more humor than The Dark World due to RDJ annoyingly not taking any scene seriously.

I SEE SPIDEY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:21 AM   #570
warriorking
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by I SEE SPIDEY View Post
What is this too much humor complaint? I thought the first film had too much humor and bad humor as well, why would it be any different in the sequel? I think IM3 had more humor than The Dark World due to RDJ annoyingly not taking any scene seriously.
I agree completely, IM3 annoyed me with its humor every couple of minutes...
TDW has its faults but I liked it better than IM3 and Thor1...
I've seen it 3 times so far and loved it each time..
With IM3 I had no desire to see it again...

Old 11-18-2013, 09:41 AM   #571
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

I actually really like Iron Man 3, I thought Shane Black introduced some subversive eliments that made it less cookie cutter than the average Marvel film and dammit that counts for something in my book. But RDJ was oddly one of the worst things about the film and so is the non-stop humor, it's surprising to me that I liked it as much as I did even with those things working against.

I wish the series would have kept the 2008 film's tone but alas things just kept getting sillier for some reason. Funny enough my favorite Marvel Studios film is the very cookie cutter Captain America. I thought that IM1 and CA had the best tones out of all the films. Light fun humor filled not overwhelming the way the other movies are.

TDW is okay to me but I don't think I'm ever going be in love with this particular series. I felt like Hemsworth deserved better, Loki gets a big emotional moment about his mom dying but Thor is just like whatever dude. Seriously how was that allowed to happen?

I SEE SPIDEY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:46 AM   #572
Rock Sexton
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by I SEE SPIDEY View Post
I felt like Hemsworth deserved better, Loki gets a big emotional moment about his mom dying but Thor is just like whatever dude. Seriously how was that allowed to happen?
Were you watching with your eyes closed as Thor comes running in screaming, sending a lightening blast to Mal's face?

He got his moment. To say he was merely "whatever" is an exaggeration of the highest order. We don't need to see him bawling his eyes out for 10mins at the Viking funeral to know he's still effected. He's clearly somber and in shock.

Rock Sexton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 01:03 PM   #573
Guard82
Side-Kick

I saw the movie this weekend and really enjoyed it. I thought all the actors turned in some excellent performances, especially Hiddleston. He stole every scene he was in, and he played off the other characters extremely well. He and Hemsworth had terrific scenes together.

I liked how the story allowed the filmmakers to show us more of the "Thor universe" by showing us some of the other worlds in the Nine Realms of Norse mythology. The cinematography done for scenes in Asgard, Vanaheim and Svartleheim were top-notch. There were a lot of really beautiful camera shots throughout.

Guard82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 02:05 PM   #574
warriorking
Side-Kick

Not really mentioned so far but I loved the shockwave scene where Thor brings his hammer down on Malekith ripping up the ground and shattering the windows, gives a good feel of his power ....

Old 11-18-2013, 04:52 PM   #575
mkilban2
family1stclothingco.com

Saw it on Friday and all I can say is WOW!

I loved every second of it, from reading some posts around here I was worried I was going to be disappointed but I was blown away. Laughed my ass off, loved the story, everything was just fantastic. My only gripe was the Kurse v Thor fight feeling too short but Kurse was awesome, and how Malekith was beaten, but I understand it

Probably my favorite MCU movie so far.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
If you've got a minute, check out our up and coming clothing company. Summer wear now in stock!
( http://www.family1stclothingco.com/ )
mkilban2 is offline   Reply With Quote