The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Thor > Thor: The Dark World

View Poll Results: Rate the Movie
10 2 5.71%
9 9 25.71%
8 12 34.29%
7 7 20.00%
6 3 8.57%
5 1 2.86%
4 0 0%
3 0 0%
2 0 0%
1 1 2.86%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2014, 04:28 PM   #776
herolee10
S.W. Mourner
 
herolee10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 14,911
Default Re: Fan Review Thread SPOILERS INSIDE - Part 2

Having seen the film again recently, I still cannot believe on how much Marvel screwed this up when you think about the potential that this film had.

By no means do I think that this is a Terrible Film. On the contrary, I think this is a good film in general. The thing that irks me is that this film could have EASILY been a MUCH BETTER film had certain elements and issues not gotten in the way.

This film is still a step up when it comes to production design and overall cinematography when compared to the previous "Thor" film in my honest opinion. And I feel like this film actually gave the character his best fight when it came to dealing with super villains.

However, that being said.... I still wonder on who or even why it was decided to cut this film the way it was edited.

If anything, I feel like this film was meant to capitalize on Tom's popularity as Loki.

Thor's arc may have been him learning that he could do better for the nine realms by continuing to serve as a warrior of Asgard and not its King, but the execution was poorly done.

And I must admit, the only times I felt that the cinematography was off were during a few moments of the opening battle featuring Thor on Hogun's world and the shot of Thor talking with Odin on the balcony in Asgard. And when i mean off, I mean that it looked more like a TV thing than a cinematic thing.

Also, they should have added a close up of what Thor's hammer was hitting when he arrived onto the battlefield to aid Sif and the Warriors three since I have the hardest time on seeing on what he was aiming for with his hammer upon arrival.

I didn't have any problems with Darcy before, but wow..she was just a pain in the ass to watch over here. I can't believe the people at Marvel thought that having more Darcy and adding a sidekick for her would be better than focusing more on the Warriors 3 and Sif.

And honestly, Malekith was really portrayed as a weak villain in this film with a weak goal. He came off as menacing, but when it came to back it up....his bluffs were quickly called.

Heck, you would think that having the aether absorbed by your body would make you stronger than Kurse or strong enough to really give Thor a good beating, but it didn't appear that way at all.

If it weren't for them teleporting around the 9 realms, Thor would have easily killed Malekith imho.

And honestly, it just didn't make sense on why they couldn't get in contact with SHIELD or why they weren't shown trying to contact the Avengers.

The whole 9 realms were about to be destroyed and Thor had an evening's worth of time to find a way and contact a group of people, where based on what's been established in "Agents of Shield", aren't hard to call if you yell loud enough to get their attention.

herolee10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 06:47 PM   #777
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator
 
AVEITWITHJAMON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Liverpool, UK.
Posts: 24,138
Default Re: Fan Review Thread SPOILERS INSIDE - Part 2

^Sums up my feelings perfectly, so much wasted potential. This was probably my post anticipated MCU movie yet, just because of the potential it had, and yet they messed that up so much.

TDW could have easily equalled The Avengers for scope and epicness IMO.

__________________
2014 movie ratings out of 10:

1)X-Men: Days Of Future Past-10(2)Captain America: The Winter Soldier-9(3)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(4)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(5)The Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(6)Godzilla-8(7)Neighbours-8(8)The Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(9)The Lego Movie-7.5(10)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(11)Robocop-7.5(12)300:Rise Of An Empire-7(13)A Million Ways To Die In The West-7(14)47 Ronin-6(15)The Monuments Men-5(16)Ride Along-5(17)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 08:57 PM   #778
MoonPie
New User - Level 0
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 3
Default Re: Fan Review Thread SPOILERS INSIDE - Part 2

My problem with Marvel, and even DC, is that they stray so far from OE that it ruins the entire experience. I read the comics, story arcs and watch the occasional anime. But the live action films have done nothing but wasted my money.

MoonPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:05 PM   #779
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?
 
BigThor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: United States
Posts: 14,091
Default Re: Fan Review Thread SPOILERS INSIDE - Part 2

The past is the past I suppose, now on to CA:TWS, GOTG, and Avengers: Age of Ultron.

__________________
CAPTAIN AMERICA, THOR, IRON MAN, THE INCREDIBLE HULK, BLACK WIDOW, AND HAWKEYE
THE AVENGERS
Spider-Man - It's the end of the world, I'M FREAKING OUT...why aren't you freaking out?
Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
BigThor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:46 PM   #780
herolee10
S.W. Mourner
 
herolee10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 14,911
Default Re: Fan Review Thread SPOILERS INSIDE - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThor View Post
The past is the past I suppose, now on to CA:TWS, GOTG, and Avengers: Age of Ultron.
True, I just hope that Thor is better used and portrayed in "Age of Ultron", especially now that he's "Loki-Free" for the time being.

herolee10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 12:38 AM   #781
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?
 
BigThor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: United States
Posts: 14,091
Default Re: Fan Review Thread SPOILERS INSIDE - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
True, I just hope that Thor is better used and portrayed in "Age of Ultron", especially now that he's "Loki-Free" for the time being.
I will not be getting my hopes up, until I'm actually watching the film I'm going to assume he'll be portrayed the same.

__________________
CAPTAIN AMERICA, THOR, IRON MAN, THE INCREDIBLE HULK, BLACK WIDOW, AND HAWKEYE
THE AVENGERS
Spider-Man - It's the end of the world, I'M FREAKING OUT...why aren't you freaking out?
Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
BigThor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 07:08 AM   #782
herolee10
S.W. Mourner
 
herolee10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 14,911
Default Re: Fan Review Thread SPOILERS INSIDE - Part 2

On another note, I'm kind of curious on how far Thor could hold up against taking damage from the weapons that the Dark Elves had at their disposal.

I mean can he be fatally stabbed by that blade that Loki used to impale Kurse before being impaled himself? And I remember seeing on how several Asgardian soldiers were killed by being hit from the blasters that the Dark Elves used in their assault against Asgard.

I do know that the the blasters used by the Chitauri had little to no effect on Thor in "The Avengers". When he was riding on one of those giant dragons while fighting alongside the Hulk, you can see him getting hit by several shots from the Chitauri on board, and yet you don't see it phase him at all.

herolee10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 10:54 AM   #783
Mightyally
Mr Arcade
 
Mightyally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Sweden
Posts: 1,178
Default Re: Fan Review Thread SPOILERS INSIDE - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
Having seen the film again recently, I still cannot believe on how much Marvel screwed this up when you think about the potential that this film had.

By no means do I think that this is a Terrible Film. On the contrary, I think this is a good film in general. The thing that irks me is that this film could have EASILY been a MUCH BETTER film had certain elements and issues not gotten in the way.

This film is still a step up when it comes to production design and overall cinematography when compared to the previous "Thor" film in my honest opinion. And I feel like this film actually gave the character his best fight when it came to dealing with super villains.

However, that being said.... I still wonder on who or even why it was decided to cut this film the way it was edited.

If anything, I feel like this film was meant to capitalize on Tom's popularity as Loki.

Thor's arc may have been him learning that he could do better for the nine realms by continuing to serve as a warrior of Asgard and not its King, but the execution was poorly done.

And I must admit, the only times I felt that the cinematography was off were during a few moments of the opening battle featuring Thor on Hogun's world and the shot of Thor talking with Odin on the balcony in Asgard. And when i mean off, I mean that it looked more like a TV thing than a cinematic thing.

Also, they should have added a close up of what Thor's hammer was hitting when he arrived onto the battlefield to aid Sif and the Warriors three since I have the hardest time on seeing on what he was aiming for with his hammer upon arrival.

I didn't have any problems with Darcy before, but wow..she was just a pain in the ass to watch over here. I can't believe the people at Marvel thought that having more Darcy and adding a sidekick for her would be better than focusing more on the Warriors 3 and Sif.

And honestly, Malekith was really portrayed as a weak villain in this film with a weak goal. He came off as menacing, but when it came to back it up....his bluffs were quickly called.

Heck, you would think that having the aether absorbed by your body would make you stronger than Kurse or strong enough to really give Thor a good beating, but it didn't appear that way at all.

If it weren't for them teleporting around the 9 realms, Thor would have easily killed Malekith imho.

And honestly, it just didn't make sense on why they couldn't get in contact with SHIELD or why they weren't shown trying to contact the Avengers.

The whole 9 realms were about to be destroyed and Thor had an evening's worth of time to find a way and contact a group of people, where based on what's been established in "Agents of Shield", aren't hard to call if you yell loud enough to get their attention.
1. Best fight yet, not very good tho.

2. Agreed, also lack of swinging and lightning and Kurse was therefore portrayed very strong against Thor and Mjolnir compared to Hulk who flew since he was in mid air taking punches from Mjolnir in the hand of Thor.

3-4. Yes, weak. As a normal dark-elf he should be weak in comparison to Thor but I´d would have liked for them to give him some magic, yet he is the one callin Frigga a witch when it is he who is known for sorcery(or at least as I understand it). With the Aether inside him he grew HUGE. One doesn´t see it at first but in that cloud on earth... He is freaking XXXXXL! He should have been stronger tho but in the comics Thanos speaks of how few realize the potential of the infinity stones so I´d think Malekith had much to control/get used to the omnipotent force/focusing etc. But he was Huge, no Magus in terms of powers tho lol.

5. Sorry, have to disagree on this one! I thought it made sense

6. Regarding Warriors 3 and Lady Sif, they needed way more time but I honestly think they will be seen a lot in the next movie!

7. See my prev post for more of my thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
On another note, I'm kind of curious on how far Thor could hold up against taking damage from the weapons that the Dark Elves had at their disposal.

I mean can he be fatally stabbed by that blade that Loki used to impale Kurse before being impaled himself? And I remember seeing on how several Asgardian soldiers were killed by being hit from the blasters that the Dark Elves used in their assault against Asgard.

I do know that the the blasters used by the Chitauri had little to no effect on Thor in "The Avengers". When he was riding on one of those giant dragons while fighting alongside the Hulk, you can see him getting hit by several shots from the Chitauri on board, and yet you don't see it phase him at all.

Great questions

1. He would hold up worse against that than the Chitauri if you ask me, and that´s just me trying to value the defence of an Asgardian and the destruction of an Chitauri weapon. If Thor was exposed to a übergrenade then yes he´d die (kinda lame but necessary for Lokis part in all of this), maybe you thought that to be very obvious tho lol.

2. Yes, the blade is probably of Asgardian origin and imo its magic can
A) Disrupt the powers of those using Asgardian, or Asgardian-like powers or
B) Cut through Asgardian as well as anything else with the same ease. May it be steel or Hulk´s skin.

Loki looked like he was infected, maybe Thor would suffer similar effects but Loki wasn´t Asgardian and Loki used a knife in TA to harm Thor and he didn´t get infected then. As for killing Thor physically with it, I guess with huge force put through the heart, but not by "just" slicing him.

3. What I´d like to know is how Loki defeated Kurse/avoided the blade. Did he go invisable as he stabbed Kurse and let Kurse think his illusion was the real him?


Last edited by Mightyally; 02-13-2014 at 11:03 AM.
Mightyally is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 06:10 PM   #784
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?
 
BigThor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: United States
Posts: 14,091
Default Re: Fan Review Thread SPOILERS INSIDE - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
On another note, I'm kind of curious on how far Thor could hold up against taking damage from the weapons that the Dark Elves had at their disposal.

I mean can he be fatally stabbed by that blade that Loki used to impale Kurse before being impaled himself? And I remember seeing on how several Asgardian soldiers were killed by being hit from the blasters that the Dark Elves used in their assault against Asgard.

I do know that the the blasters used by the Chitauri had little to no effect on Thor in "The Avengers". When he was riding on one of those giant dragons while fighting alongside the Hulk, you can see him getting hit by several shots from the Chitauri on board, and yet you don't see it phase him at all.
The Dark Elve's weapons are MUCH more powerful than the Chitauri's, this has already been pointed out.

__________________
CAPTAIN AMERICA, THOR, IRON MAN, THE INCREDIBLE HULK, BLACK WIDOW, AND HAWKEYE
THE AVENGERS
Spider-Man - It's the end of the world, I'M FREAKING OUT...why aren't you freaking out?
Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
BigThor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 09:59 AM   #785
FeedOnATreeFrog
A Metal Gear reference
 
FeedOnATreeFrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,874
Default Re: Fan Review Thread SPOILERS INSIDE - Part 2

I just watched this for the second time.

It wasn't as enjoyable as it was the first time around.

6.5/10 on first watch.

5/10 now.

The story is just not very interesting or engaging at all. The action is underwhelming as well.

FeedOnATreeFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 01:12 AM   #786
AndrewGilkison
Side-Kick
 
AndrewGilkison's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,497
Default Re: Fan Review Thread SPOILERS INSIDE - Part 2

I saw this movie. I liked it. It wasn't a classic or anything but I liked it. For some reason Marvel Studios has yet to produce a second movie in one of their franchises that was a major leap forward over the first origin movie. Iron Man 2 had this problem and so does this (but Cap: Winter Solder and Avengers: AOU look to break this trend so that's good).

Maybe this is the problem? I didn't care much for Malekith. He was kind of boring as a villain and was just there for the most part. Was it the actor's acting choices? Was it the script and direction? The final edit of the movie and most of his best scenes were cut? I don't know but I didn't find him compelling the way I found Loki compelling in the first Thor movie, and I didn't find him all that menacing either.

Maybe this is why this movie wasn't all that great?

AndrewGilkison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 06:56 PM   #787
Sterling Archer
Worlds Greatest Super Spy
 
Sterling Archer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Parts Unkown
Posts: 466
Default Re: Fan Review Thread SPOILERS INSIDE - Part 2

I just wish they had spent less time on the comic relief and more time building up the villains and the plot. The one joke that kills the movie for me is the one where Thor and Malekith slide down the building with a cheesy sound effect. Comic relief is fine but putting the main hero in a slapstick joke in the middle of the supposedly tense final action scene is really misplaced. I also thought it was strange how Loki "dies" and mere minutes later the movie is making jokes again. It's still a decent summer blockbuster but it should have been so much better. I think the majority of the problems stem from the director, and how it seems as though he doesn't really have any passion for the character or the universe. When he was attached everyone was expecting Game of Thrones in space, and I wish that was what we got. Marvel has been pretty inspired in choosing their directors on all their other projects so far, I hope for Thor 3 we don't get another hired gun and get someone who actually cares about the franchise. I also think keeping the majority of the action on Asgard would solve the problem of "Why aren't SHIELD or The Avengers helping?". At this point in the series we don't need to put Earth in danger for us to be invested.

Sterling Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 07:58 PM   #788
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?
 
BigThor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: United States
Posts: 14,091
Default Re: Fan Review Thread SPOILERS INSIDE - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewGilkison View Post
I saw this movie. I liked it. It wasn't a classic or anything but I liked it. For some reason Marvel Studios has yet to produce a second movie in one of their franchises that was a major leap forward over the first origin movie. Iron Man 2 had this problem and so does this (but Cap: Winter Solder and Avengers: AOU look to break this trend so that's good).

Maybe this is the problem? I didn't care much for Malekith. He was kind of boring as a villain and was just there for the most part. Was it the actor's acting choices? Was it the script and direction? The final edit of the movie and most of his best scenes were cut? I don't know but I didn't find him compelling the way I found Loki compelling in the first Thor movie, and I didn't find him all that menacing either.

Maybe this is why this movie wasn't all that great?
I've put the actual problem that effected Malekith's portrayal in bold.

__________________
CAPTAIN AMERICA, THOR, IRON MAN, THE INCREDIBLE HULK, BLACK WIDOW, AND HAWKEYE
THE AVENGERS
Spider-Man - It's the end of the world, I'M FREAKING OUT...why aren't you freaking out?
Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
BigThor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 12:03 AM   #789
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator
 
AVEITWITHJAMON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Liverpool, UK.
Posts: 24,138
Default Re: Fan Review Thread SPOILERS INSIDE - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling Archer View Post
I just wish they had spent less time on the comic relief and more time building up the villains and the plot. The one joke that kills the movie for me is the one where Thor and Malekith slide down the building with a cheesy sound effect. Comic relief is fine but putting the main hero in a slapstick joke in the middle of the supposedly tense final action scene is really misplaced. I also thought it was strange how Loki "dies" and mere minutes later the movie is making jokes again. It's still a decent summer blockbuster but it should have been so much better. I think the majority of the problems stem from the director, and how it seems as though he doesn't really have any passion for the character or the universe. When he was attached everyone was expecting Game of Thrones in space, and I wish that was what we got. Marvel has been pretty inspired in choosing their directors on all their other projects so far, I hope for Thor 3 we don't get another hired gun and get someone who actually cares about the franchise. I also think keeping the majority of the action on Asgard would solve the problem of "Why aren't SHIELD or The Avengers helping?". At this point in the series we don't need to put Earth in danger for us to be invested.
Actually thats not true, Taylor was making movie serious like GoT is for the most part, and then Marvel asked him to put more humour in the movie and Taylor obeyed. Taylor also wasnt pleased with the final cut, telling fans to demand a DC from Marvel, seems he was locked out of the editing room as well.

__________________
2014 movie ratings out of 10:

1)X-Men: Days Of Future Past-10(2)Captain America: The Winter Soldier-9(3)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(4)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(5)The Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(6)Godzilla-8(7)Neighbours-8(8)The Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(9)The Lego Movie-7.5(10)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(11)Robocop-7.5(12)300:Rise Of An Empire-7(13)A Million Ways To Die In The West-7(14)47 Ronin-6(15)The Monuments Men-5(16)Ride Along-5(17)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 12:21 AM   #790
M-2
Ultimate BAMF
 
M-2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: South Africa
Posts: 671
Default Re: Fan Review Thread SPOILERS INSIDE - Part 2

This film could have been so much better then it was.. personally for me the humour hurt the film particularly since there was an overabundance of it.

I also expected Jane to be a lot more useful in the film. She doesn't show any feeling when Frigga dies protecting her... You'd expect her to show some kind of emotion but she's completely indifferent towards it.

I would have preferred to see Frigga talk to Jane about Loki and tell her that he has good left inside of him.. then when Frigga dies, and she sees Thor and Odin at odds with one another. She decides to free Loki so that he can take her to Malekith.
Then while they are making there escape, Thor manages to catch up to them but Loki still manages to steers them through the portal.

Its just a little change, but Jane would seem a little more sympathetic to the entire situation and come across courageous for her actions.


The other thing I couldn't get over was the Last Battle with Thor and Malekith. The ENTIRE 9 REALMS is facing annihilation and only Thor is fighting?! Forget the Avengers and SHIELD... Where is The Warriors Three, Sif, Heimdall and a Little Asgardian Army??

If Thor loses Asgard would be destroyed! So why wouldn't Odin help if his all for the safety of Asgard and the 9 realms?? Even if his angry with Thor, he should have at least sent some forces to help...

It would have made that last battle just a little more epic, with Thor and Malekith battling, while the Dark Elves and Asgardians are fighting all around them in London!

__________________
In the End, You Will Always Kneel...

FILMRAPS.BLOGSPOT.COM

Last edited by M-2; 02-28-2014 at 12:24 AM.
M-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 09:33 AM   #791
Crimson King
Superhero Novelista
 
Crimson King's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,902
Default Re: Fan Review Thread SPOILERS INSIDE - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON View Post
Actually thats not true, Taylor was making movie serious like GoT is for the most part, and then Marvel asked him to put more humour in the movie and Taylor obeyed. Taylor also wasnt pleased with the final cut, telling fans to demand a DC from Marvel, seems he was locked out of the editing room as well.
He wasn't locked out of the editing room. That was an old and ridiculous rumor that Taylor debunked. The DC stuff came from someone asking him if they'd get to see the original opening. As for the humor, go watch some of his interviews. He says plainly that he went back and added some humor in spots because he thought it fit into the Marvel mold better.

Seriously, dude. I think we all know your opinion of this film, but you don't have to use false statements to keep bashing it.

__________________
kingwrites.com // @kingmatte
Crimson King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 11:01 AM   #792
BoredGuy
Killing Time
 
BoredGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: the future past
Posts: 3,150
Default Re: Fan Review Thread SPOILERS INSIDE - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson King View Post
He wasn't locked out of the editing room. That was an old and ridiculous rumor that Taylor debunked. The DC stuff came from someone asking him if they'd get to see the original opening. As for the humor, go watch some of his interviews. He says plainly that he went back and added some humor in spots because he thought it fit into the Marvel mold better.

And that speaks to the arguement I and others have made for a while now:

Marvel didn't "lock him out", or argue with him because he was being too picky or had a vision different than theirs
Taylor had no vision, no passion for the project
He's a hired gun who came in and prettied Asgard up
He had no story vision whatsoever, which is why the film just goes through the motions without offering anything new or interesting
Clearly looking to TV can work, ala Whedon or apparently the Russos, but the person they get has to be more "Auteur" than "glorified cinematographer"

It might've helped if Marvel took over, but they didn't, and we got a mediocre film

__________________
MOVIE STUDIO BATTING AVERAGES:
MARVEL- .777 WB- .375 FOX- .364 SONY- .333



Last edited by BoredGuy; 02-28-2014 at 11:05 AM.
BoredGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 01:47 AM   #793
Paradox1
Side-Kick
 
Paradox1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Fl
Posts: 3,991
Default Re: Fan Review Thread SPOILERS INSIDE - Part 2

I saw this film today and I would give it a 5/10. Every time they cut to a earth scene I was like "why!". Does earth need to be at the center of everything Marvel. Thor was better in parts but they still haven't really shown me Thor from the comics yet. I get anytime he fights Hulk he's gonna loose but Dark elves?!

__________________
"Wars are never won, regardless of who might be the victor. The very act of war is itself a horrible defeat." Guardian of the Universe "Battleground: Oa!" Green Lantern, 1st Silver Age series, #127, Denny O'Neil)
Paradox1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 07:45 AM   #794
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument
 
Mjölnir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Sweden
Posts: 1,815
Default Re: Fan Review Thread SPOILERS INSIDE - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThor View Post
I've put the actual problem that effected Malekith's portrayal in bold.
I'd say it was more the editing process rather than the script. The script had more with Malekith and they even shot plenty of more scenes with him. It seems like it was in the cutting room they decided that it was better to focus more on Asgard and Earth and have Malekith as a very external threat.

Mjölnir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 01:45 PM   #795
GremlinZilla89
Mogwai Healer
 
GremlinZilla89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,277
Default Re: Fan Review Thread SPOILERS INSIDE - Part 2

I've said this before but I'll say it again:

I don't get how anyone can prefer the Asgard of TDW to the original. On a purely objective level I guess you could say TDW had better effects, but I honestly don't remember anything visually from this film. I've seen it twice and almost every aspect of it is just a dark blur of mediocrity.

When I left the theater after the first film I left with awesome images of the opulent, golden, gleaming Asgard, the rainbow bridge, and twinkling star-scapes. TDW is just another dark, dingy LOTR/Game of the Thrones knock off with no visual splendor what so ever.

Oddly enough one of the biggest complaints from most people is what keeps the movie slightly watchable to me: The humor. I didn't much have a problem with it and to be honest it was the most memorable part of the film. When Kat Dennings makes more of an impression than Thor himself, something is wrong. I don't hate the comedy for being funny. I hate the drama for not being dramatic. Oh, and Loki was great as usual. Other than that....peh.

The action? What action? Thor vs. Kurse? What awesome fight did others see? I saw Kurse toss Thor once or twice than mash his face in. That's it. Thor vs Malekith was awesome? Again, what cut of the film did I see? I just saw a bunch of extreme wide shots of two little figures tumbling into different environments.

Eh, I'm just letdown by the film. It was tone deaf, boring, Thor felt sidelined in his own film and the action was bland as could be. I wish I liked it, I really do.

GremlinZilla89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 07:36 PM   #796
FeedOnATreeFrog
A Metal Gear reference
 
FeedOnATreeFrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,874
Default Re: Fan Review Thread SPOILERS INSIDE - Part 2

Thor vs Malekith reminded me of Hal vs Parallax.

FeedOnATreeFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 07:42 PM   #797
Crimson King
Superhero Novelista
 
Crimson King's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,902
Default Re: Fan Review Thread SPOILERS INSIDE - Part 2

I was really disappointed the first time I saw the film. I have to admit, though, that it was better the second time around. It ended up around a 7.5/10 for me. Here's hoping they hire a director for Thor 3 that cares about the character.

__________________
kingwrites.com // @kingmatte
Crimson King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 12:51 PM   #798
OriginalMiles
Feelings do have feelings
 
OriginalMiles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Where the SHH14 Roam.
Posts: 4,288
Default Re: Fan Review Thread SPOILERS INSIDE - Part 2

I saw this in cinemas and have had numerous re-watchings since I got the Blu-Ray.

I don't like to make in depth reviews, but I think I'll just post my rating along with the other MCU films, as well as 2013's CBMs.

MCU

Iron Man - 9/10
The Avengers - 8.5/10
Iron Man 3 - 8/10
Thor: The Dark World - 8/10
Thor - 7/10
Captain America - 6.5/10
The Incredible Hulk - 5/10
Iron Man 2 - 5/10

2013 Films

Man of Steel - 10/10
Iron Man 3 -8/10
Thor: The Dark World - 8/10
The Wolverine - 7/10

(I didn't see Kick-Ass 2)

__________________
2014 CBMs: Captain America: TWS - 9.5/10, Amazing Spider-Man 2 - 9/10, X-Men: DOFP - 10/10, Guardians of the Galaxy - ?/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron Bonne View Post
But what if he were a mongoose...made of toilet paper?
The Spider-Man Boards (in a nutshell)
I am No. 1: The Polisher/Gentleman
OriginalMiles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 07:24 PM   #799
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?
 
BigThor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: United States
Posts: 14,091
Default Re: Fan Review Thread SPOILERS INSIDE - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson King View Post
I was really disappointed the first time I saw the film. I have to admit, though, that it was better the second time around. It ended up around a 7.5/10 for me. Here's hoping they hire a director for Thor 3 that cares about the character.
Bingo, also one that knows how to do proper Thor action.

__________________
CAPTAIN AMERICA, THOR, IRON MAN, THE INCREDIBLE HULK, BLACK WIDOW, AND HAWKEYE
THE AVENGERS
Spider-Man - It's the end of the world, I'M FREAKING OUT...why aren't you freaking out?
Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
BigThor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 10:45 PM   #800
Bruce_Begins
I am still Green Goblin
 
Bruce_Begins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 5,870
Default Re: Fan Review Thread SPOILERS INSIDE - Part 2

I think that director was more interested in Loki than Thor, Loki is given more character arc than Thor. I am not trying to bash this movie or anything, just making an observation.

__________________

*\S/T*
Bruce_Begins is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:08 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.