1 1 2.86%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-10-2013, 07:09 PM   #151
Crimson King
Throwing shade

Default Re: Fan Review Thread SPOILERS INSIDE - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
Crimson King just proved he hasn't seen the movie.

He is acknowledging the entire situation. Death, what it means, washes over him. It is why he saves the family.

The quality of the sequences are night and day. Execution is key. Transformers has people crying and yelling, but it has no effect on me. The films don't "earn it" from me imo.
You seem to have rose-tinted glasses when it comes to MoS. It wasn't nearly as emotional as you make it out to be. No more than Thor. And there's no indication at all that he's grieving all of those he and Zod killed, which is driven home by the fact that he never acknowledges it again. If either movie has something in common with Transformers, it's MoS. The Zod fight felt a lot like the fights in the TF movies, which is a shame since it was a pretty good movie up to that point.

Recent guest appearances on The Hodgepodge Podcast to discuss 75 years of Batman and CA:TWS
Crimson King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:10 PM   #152
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson King View Post
You seem to have rose-tinted glasses when it comes to MoS. It wasn't nearly as emotional as you make it out to be. No more than Thor. And there's no indication at all that he's grieving all of those he and Zod killed, which is driven home by the fact that he never acknowledges it again. If either movie has something in common with Transformers, it's MoS. The Zod fight felt a lot like the fights in the TF movies, which is a shame since it was a pretty good movie up to that point.
I am the one with rose-tinted glasses? Okay.

I acknowledge I adore MoS, and while I find it has plenty of flaws, I also find plenty of emotion, depth and fun in it.

Old 11-10-2013, 07:13 PM   #153
CosmicPinchy
Rock Lobster

Just saw the movie again. It's definitely better the second time around. I cried when they had Frigga's funeral. It's much easier to enjoy the movie after already seeing it because the first time, I was just thinking about everything everyone was saying was in the movie or problems with it or expectations. With the second viewing, you can really appreciate the movie for what it is: good.

CosmicPinchy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:14 PM   #154
Crimson King
Throwing shade

Quote:
No, you didn't see the movie.

More seriously, how do you forget that? It is the last shot of the film.

I bring up Frigga fighting Malekith, because Malekith with the Aether is no threat to any of our heroes. Thor, Sif, Volstagg, Frandal, Heimdall. They are better warriors, any combination of two would have handle him easily, leaving Odin and the rest to handle Kurse.

I am curious though, how do you think Kurse kills a man that can move as fast as Odin or posses as much power as he does?

Are we just like forgetting who Odin is? The guy that can get from his bedroom to the bifrost in less then like 3 seconds? The guy that shoots pure energy from his spear? The guy capable of literally de-panting Thor anytime he wants. That Odin?

You really think he has anything to fear from Kurse? The only sequence showed The Kursed could be killed using conventional weaponry.
Malekith with the Aether is no threat? Now I know YOU didn't watch the movie.

Kurse was a beast. Conventional Asgardian weapons didn't beat him. He got stabbed multiple times and brushed them off. He punched away Mjolnir. MJOLNIR. Hit it away like it was nothing. He got killed by a dark elf weapon, a weapon, I might add, that no Asgardian could withstand, and it was only a grenade.

Odin in the MCU isn't the all-powerful badass mofo that he is in the comics. Don't let that color your opinion. He does have the spear, but if Kurse ever got close, Odin was dead.

Quote:
I didn't like IM3 at all and I barely gave TDW a 7.5. That's rose-tinted?

Recent guest appearances on The Hodgepodge Podcast to discuss 75 years of Batman and CA:TWS
Old 11-10-2013, 07:17 PM   #155
tay1
Side-Kick

Quote:

I acknowledge I adore MoS, and while I find it has plenty of flaws, I also find plenty of emotion, depth and fun in it.
Fun?

tay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:20 PM   #156
tay1
Side-Kick

And yes, I believe Algrim would've wiped out much of Asgard.

Old 11-10-2013, 07:22 PM   #157
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:
Malekith with the Aether is no threat? Now I know YOU didn't watch the movie.
What did he do that placed him on a level with Thor or Odin? He got beat up by Thor's mother.

Quote:
Kurse was a beast. Conventional Asgardian weapons didn't beat him. He got stabbed multiple times and brushed them off. He punched away Mjolnir. MJOLNIR. Hit it away like it was nothing. He got killed by a dark elf weapon, a weapon, I might add, that no Asgardian could withstand, and it was only a grenade.
Kurse might be stronger then the Kursed in the opening sequence, but how much stronger can he really be? And that guy was killed by around 6 Asgardian base warriors.

And yes, Thor showed you could withstand the grenade. That is how he saves Loki...

Quote:
Odin in the MCU isn't the all-powerful badass mofo that he is in the comics. Don't let that color your opinion. He does have the spear, but if Kurse ever got close, Odin was dead.
Odin, just in the films, has shown the ability to move faster then anyone else we have seen, conjure forces to teleport his son across the universe and strip his son of all his strength in a matter of moments.

Why do you think he is always in another room when the baddies show up? Because they ain't got nothing for him.

Quote:
I didn't like IM3 at all and I barely gave TDW a 7.5. That's rose-tinted?
You will review it one way, and then defend it another. How I feel about MoS is not applied to other films either. You are playing the comparison game. TDW isn't great, but it is definitely better then MoS.

It is like sports fandom. The only one that can call my team poop is me.

Old 11-10-2013, 07:24 PM   #158
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by tay1 View Post
Fun?
Yes, plenty of witty and good old fashion fun.

Old 11-10-2013, 07:25 PM   #159
TeeKay
Side-Kick

I can't believe some people think Thor didn't react to his mother's death. When I saw the movie I saw Thor charging in screaming whilst roasting Malekith's face and proceeding to throw his hammer twice at them I might add. Seems like some people are now just finding reasons to dislike the movie. But whatever.

TeeKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:26 PM   #160
tay1
Side-Kick

Boy, I must've missed the fun in that film.

Old 11-10-2013, 07:28 PM   #161
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeKay View Post
I can't believe some people think Thor didn't react to his mother's death. When I saw the movie I saw Thor charging in screaming whilst hitting roasting Malekith's face and proceeding to throw his hammer twice at them I might add. Seems like some people are now just finding reasons to dislike the movie. But whatever.
You are missing the point of the argument. The initial reaction is fine. He does little else though, especially once confronted with the man responsible for the death of his mother, brother and many of his fellow Asgardians. In the middle of a battle for the fate of the universe, he can still flirt on a train and make lite of his own brother's death. The film also does this in general.

Quote:
Boy, I must've missed the fun in that film.
Sorry you missed it.

Old 11-10-2013, 07:30 PM   #162
Crimson King
Throwing shade

Quote:
What did he do that placed him on a level with Thor or Odin? He got beat up by Thor's mother.

Kurse might be stronger then the Kursed in the opening sequence, but how much stronger can he really be? And that guy was killed by around 6 Asgardian base warriors.

And yes, Thor showed you could withstand the grenade. That is how he saves Loki...

Odin, just in the films, has shown the ability to move faster then anyone else we have seen, conjure forces to teleport his son across the universe and strip his son of all his strength in a matter of moments.

Why do you think he is always in another room when the baddies show up? Because they ain't got nothing for him.

You will review it one way, and then defend it another. How I feel about MoS is not applied to other films either. You are playing the comparison game. TDW isn't great, but it is definitely better then MoS.

It is like sports fandom. The only one that can call my team poop is me.
I already agreed with you on some of the movie's faults. I just think you're way off base about the dark elf power levels. Malekith didn't have the Aether in him when Frigga nearly killed him. Don't you remember that?

Thor didn't withstand the grenade, he flew in and saved Loki before Loki got sucked in. Kurse, on the other hand, punched through a prison cell that could hold Loki, and that was maybe his least impressive feat. He was shown to be way more powerful than the Kursed in the opening.

Believe me, I *want* Odin in the MCU to be as powerful as you're making him out to be, but they need to show it for once rather than just hinting at it.

Old 11-10-2013, 07:33 PM   #163
tay1
Side-Kick

When does he make lite of Loki's death?

Old 11-10-2013, 07:35 PM   #164
jmc
callin' it like I see it

Quote:
I never thought about that until now, he really was a weak arse villain.

Fanboys make excuses, real fans acknowledge screw-ups.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
jmc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:35 PM   #165
TeeKay
Side-Kick

Quote:
Which is horrible logic. Especially considering what Thor and Loki were able to do by themselves.

Malekith is going to get the Aether from Odin, Thor, Sif, the Warriors Three, Heimdall and the rest of the Asgardian forces now that they know they are coming? Nah. Especially less then two days from the convergence.

Except Clark does react to death and destruction in one of the most emotional sequences I can remember in a Superhero flick.
Eh when did Clark react to the death and destruction? Did I miss something? Coz all I can remember is him reacting to Zod's death and that's it. Can you please tell me which part of the movie he reacted to the death and destruction?

Old 11-10-2013, 07:35 PM   #166
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

Quote:
You are missing the point of the argument. The initial reaction is fine. He does little else though, especially once confronted with the man responsible for the death of his mother, brother and many of his fellow Asgardians. In the middle of a battle for the fate of the universe, he can still flirt on a train and make lite of his own brother's death. The film also does this in general.
Thor doesn't flirt with the girl. She pretends to fall into him as an excuse to touch him but he doesn't do anything. If he himself makes fun of Loki's death that's something I don't remember.

Mjölnir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:37 PM   #167
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:
I already agreed with you on some of the movie's faults. I just think you're way off base about the dark elf power levels. Malekith didn't have the Aether in him when Frigga nearly killed him. Don't you remember that?
I see the problem, I meant without the Aether. In my rush to post, I wrote the wrong thing. That is why I brought up his fight with Frigga and why he'd be pretty useless showing up to get it again. He wouldn't have it in a battle against Thor, Sif, Heimdall, etc. He'd be toast, leaving the others to handle Kurse.

My fault.

Quote:
Thor didn't withstand the grenade, he flew in and saved Loki before Loki got sucked in. Kurse, on the other hand, punched through a prison cell that could hold Loki, and that was maybe his least impressive feat. He was shown to be way more powerful than the Kursed in the opening.
Yes he does. If the force of the grenade is that powerful, Thor wouldn't be able to resist it when flying towards it. Also, considering Loki was snatched quite a ways away, why didn't the grenade he pulled on Kurse belt also get him and Thor? They are laying at his feet.

Quote:
Believe me, I *want* Odin in the MCU to be as powerful as you're making him out to be, but they need to show it for once rather than just hinting at it.
How are they not? What do you think those moments show? How he saved Thor and Loki, or sent Thor to Earth, or stripped Thor of his abilities?

Also, during the attack on Asgard, would have been a great moment to bring in a repaired Destroyer.

Old 11-10-2013, 07:39 PM   #168
TeeKay
Side-Kick

Quote:

Sorry you missed it.
Thor was flirting in the train? I thought the way he reacted to Loki's death was just fine, remember he still he had find a way out of the dark world and go stop Malekith before he unleashed the Aether?

Old 11-10-2013, 07:42 PM   #169
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:
When does he make lite of Loki's death?
When talking to Erik. He casually states it as a fact and he takes no offense to Erik's glee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
Thor doesn't flirt with the girl. She pretends to fall into him as an excuse to touch him but he doesn't do anything. If he himself makes fun of Loki's death that's something I don't remember.
Uh, yes he does. He smiles at her reaction to him. Straight up flirt. He knows what he is doing. I'd like more of this from Thor, just not in those moments.

Quote:
Eh when did Clark react to the death and destruction? Did I miss something? Coz all I can remember is him reacting to Zod's death and that's it. Can you please tell me which part of the movie he reacted to the death and destruction?
He is begging Zod to stop, almost in tears, and then decides to kill the last of his race to protect a few citizens. That is a reaction, as is his response after. To me it is a clear reaction to the enormity of the entire situation. For the first time since Zod's arrival he lets it wash all over him, what has happened and he lets it out.

Old 11-10-2013, 07:45 PM   #170
Crimson King
Throwing shade

Quote:
How are they not? What do you think those moments show? How he saved Thor and Loki, or sent Thor to Earth, or stripped Thor of his abilities?

Also, during the attack on Asgard, would have been a great moment to bring in a repaired Destroyer.
I think it was a convenient way to get Odin out on the bifrost in Thor 1. They've never mentioned him having super speed (or flight). It was a typical movie convenience thrown in like it was a convenience that Thor and Jane walked into the very cave where all the stuff from Earth wound up. I took it as that and not some display of Odin's power.

He stripped Thor of his power simply by taking Mjolnir away (which gives him his armor, hence the pantsing of Thor). Look, I agree that Odin should be nearly omnipotent in power levels, but MCU Odin hasn't shown much, and he's nowhere near as powerful as the comics.

Unfortunately, I don't think Destroyer could be repaired. Coulson took all the parts.

Old 11-10-2013, 07:45 PM   #171
tay1
Side-Kick

Thor understands that he was responsible for an alien invasion, so why would he be offended? You're reacting to some of these scenes too strongly.

Last edited by tay1; 11-10-2013 at 07:49 PM.
Old 11-10-2013, 07:47 PM   #172
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

Quote:
When talking to Erik. He casually states it as a fact and he takes no offense to Erik's glee.
He stares at Selvig, who then becomes apologietic. Why would he be angry? It's not like Loki didn't do bad things to him and Thor has both grieved and "disowned" his brother before.

Quote:
Uh, yes he does. He smiles at her reaction to him. Straight up flirt. He knows what he is doing. I'd like more of this from Thor, just not in those moments.
I don't agree with that interpretation at all. It just reminds me of guys who go "that girl just smiled at me, she must like me!", when someone is just being nice.

Old 11-10-2013, 07:49 PM   #173
TeeKay
Side-Kick

Quote:

He is begging Zod to stop, almost in tears, and then decides to kill the last of his race to protect a few citizens. That is a reaction, as is his response after. To me it is a clear reaction to the enormity of the entire situation. For the first time since Zod's arrival he lets it wash all over him, what has happened and he lets it out.
Yeah dude youre over analyzing the scene. Supes is clearly screaming because he's just killed the last of his race not because of all the death and destruction(despite having time to make out with Lois admist the destruction) and he only reacts now? btw I didn't like that scene at all. It was executed poorly IMO.You seem to have rose-tinted glasses when it comes to MoS. And I agree with Crimson, You seem to have rose-tinted glasses when it comes to MoS.

Old 11-10-2013, 07:51 PM   #174
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

Quote:
Yeah dude youre over analyzing the scene. Supes is clearly screaming because he's just killed the last of his race not because of all the death and destruction(despite having time to make out with Lois admist the destruction) and he only reacts now? btw I didn't like that scene at all. It was executed poorly IMO.
That scene is like the death of Jonathan. I think Cavill acts very well, but the rest of the scenes make no sense to me.

Old 11-10-2013, 07:51 PM   #175
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:
I think it was a convenient way to get Odin out on the bifrost in Thor 1. They've never mentioned him having super speed (or flight). It was a typical movie convenience thrown in like it was a convenience that Thor and Jane walked into the very cave where all the stuff from Earth wound up. I took it as that and not some display of Odin's power.

He stripped Thor of his power simply by taking Mjolnir away (which gives him his armor, hence the pantsing of Thor). Look, I agree that Odin should be nearly omnipotent in power levels, but MCU Odin hasn't shown much, and he's nowhere near as powerful as the comics.

Unfortunately, I don't think Destroyer could be repaired. Coulson took all the parts.
The rescue was a show of Odin's strength. Odin was rejuvenated. He already shown himself a force to fear when he was super weak and still saved his boys and their friends. Now that he was back to his in best, he was able to almost appear to rescue his sons. He holds them like they are nothing.

And it takes abilities, strength and vast knowledge to just "take Mjolnir". He overrides Thor's ability to use it. He enchants the hammer. Is that not a display of strength, of knowledge, of ability?