Default Re: The Xbox One - Part 2

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is Here

Old 11-11-2013, 05:07 PM   #3
Soapy
It's happening again...

Default Re: The Xbox One - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron Bonne View Post
Yeah, I sort of agree. I think way too big of a deal is being made over resolution, especially since I'll wager most people don't have a gigantic television and won't be able to tell a difference anyhow.

But I guess when it comes to next gen graphics are a big point for a lot of people.
I personally think it's being made a big deal of because this current generation was supposed to be the generation of high definition and solid framrate, but it rarely ever lived up to that promise. So many games this gen were being rendered at sub-HD resolutions and had awful framerates, even below 30 in a lot of cases.

I think people are just wary of having a repeat of that.

Old 11-11-2013, 05:29 PM   #4
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

Default Re: The Xbox One - Part 4

Yea but i think its important to an extent. Going into this gen soooo many more people have television set ups that can detect differences like that. I mean i don't, i don't prefer to game on anything larger that a 32'' but I'm sure I'm in the minority as id assume above 32 has become the norm.

Old 11-11-2013, 05:39 PM   #5
Tron Bonne
There's Evil Here. Within

Most people I know don't. Most tend to have 30-40". Don't you have to have in the 50+ to really tell the difference? That's what I've always heard.

"When you see a John Woo film, it's comforting to know how shallow the world really is. The full force of the manly coolness factor with a peice of nose hair sticking out from the tiny crack between manly and cool, exposes the thinness of the male hormone factor. It takes an idiot to do cool things. That's why it's cool."

Quote:
I was a North American Fall Webworm in my past life. Those were the good old days.
Old 11-11-2013, 05:44 PM   #6
Poetic Chaos
Hella fetch.

I just got a 60" a few weeks ago so I guess I'll see how much it bothers me.

Old 11-11-2013, 07:11 PM   #7
Benstamania
Shot first.

Here's my stance on 720p Gate

In a gen when there's not much to differentiate the two consoles apart specs matter, price and games matter. At this moment in time (because a select few have played the games), the two biggest factors to consider are price and specs.

so obviously people are going to be discussing these aspects and as a figure head of your company you (Spencers latest stupid rant against power making a difference) can't come out and brag about how good a game looks (when it suits them... Like Forza) then turn around and completely dismiss it when it doesn't (battlefield, cod) what the hell does the guy expect? of course people will question his reasoning. Hell they had like a 10 page interview with M$ people on eurogamer spouting nonsense about cloud compute and how their system is balanced and much better than the Playstation 4.

My boss always says "Lets dazzle them with science" ... what that really means is lets spout a load of nonsensical technical bull crap to hide the fact that we've completely fudged something up. This is what i think M$ PR is doing right now. talking down to and treating technically savvy potential consumers like idiots. or at least thats how it feels. so yes there is a lot of "abuse" heading towards M$ but it's not from a bunch of idiots who care only about pixels

Old 11-11-2013, 07:41 PM   #8
SolarTiger
Side-Kick

I thought anything under 32 inches meant you couldn't tell the difference between 720p and 1080p?

Old 11-11-2013, 07:48 PM   #9
Travesty
TEOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarTiger View Post
I thought anything under 32 inches meant you couldn't tell the difference between 720p and 1080p?
I actually think it's anything under 42.

Old 11-11-2013, 07:58 PM   #10
Benstamania
Shot first.

Technically speaking.. From selling tv's.. If you're getting over 40 you'll want a 1080. Anything under? Doesnt matter.

Old 11-12-2013, 11:46 AM   #11
Tron Bonne

I've always heard that you needed at least a 50 inch TV before you could see a noticeable difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benstamania View Post
Here's my stance on 720p Gate
Seriously?

"When you see a John Woo film, it's comforting to know how shallow the world really is. The full force of the manly coolness factor with a peice of nose hair sticking out from the tiny crack between manly and cool, exposes the thinness of the male hormone factor. It takes an idiot to do cool things. That's why it's cool."

Quote:
I was a North American Fall Webworm in my past life. Those were the good old days.
Old 11-12-2013, 11:59 AM   #12
StrainedEyes
All the way up it!

Digital Foundry vs. Dead Rising 3

Quote:
Inevitably, much of this comes at a price; specifically to the frame-rate. When dealing with the signature scenes involving uncountable enemies on-screen, we're left with some very sluggish motion, while the streaming system also seems to spike CPU, resulting in lost performance. The statement from the team is that a locked 30fps is targeted here, but in the build we saw there's a huge gap to be bridged in this regard; drops to 20fps are consistent and sustained when outdoors, with 16fps being our record low during some of the biggest explosions. With Battlefield 4 on Xbox One, the drop to 720p opened the door to 60fps gameplay - Dead Rising 3's big issue is that despite the upgrades, the feeling in terms of refresh and response often feels very much like a poorly optimised current-gen title.
Ouch.

Old 11-12-2013, 12:03 PM   #13
Tron Bonne

Sounds a lot like the original Dead Rising lol.

Quote:
Old 11-12-2013, 12:07 PM   #14
Havok83
Side-Kick

I really hope it gets ported to the PS4 some time next year with enhancements, namely fixxing those issues. Id buy it day one if it were available

Old 11-12-2013, 12:16 PM   #15
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrainedEyes View Post
Nice way to start off next gen Capcom.

Glad I hate that series, or id be pretty damn upset.

Old 11-12-2013, 01:59 PM   #16
Benstamania
Shot first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron Bonne View Post
I've always heard that you needed at least a 50 inch TV before you could see a noticeable difference.
I've been selling TV's for 10 years. You heard wrong. You can notice at anything in about the 40 range more so if you have two units beside each other running the same thing. The better the TV the more you notice it.

Quote:
Seriously?
Don't visit NeoGaf much?

Revelation 22:20
Old 11-12-2013, 02:00 PM   #17
Benstamania
Shot first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectPat2280 View Post
Nice way to start off next gen Capcom.

Glad I hate that series, or id be pretty damn upset.
I believe you and I were recently (well..E3 maybe?) Discussing our hatred of this series? Yeah..Not shocked..

Revelation 22:20
Old 11-12-2013, 04:16 PM   #18
Balthus Dire
Punishment Continues

I enjoyed DR2, but wasn't planning on getting DR3 anyway. To be honest this whole 720p-to-run-60fps is really turning me off Xbone. Bleh.

Old 11-12-2013, 04:44 PM   #19
Doc Ock
1951-2014

I think Capcom in general has become....bleh. I used to adore them but they have just become a giant shell of their former selves IMO.

Old 11-12-2013, 05:19 PM   #20
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthus Dire View Post
I enjoyed DR2, but wasn't planning on getting DR3 anyway. To be honest this whole 720p-to-run-60fps is really turning me off Xbone. Bleh.
I remember being SOOOO excited for Dead Rising. I mean you are locked in a mall filled with zombies and you can use anything as a weapon? OMG, awesome.....and then i played it. I remember my expression being something along the lines of "what in the blue hell is this!?!?" Hated everything about that game and series.

Old 11-12-2013, 05:33 PM   #21
Balthus Dire
Punishment Continues

Haha once you get used to the atrocious save system it's pretty fun. The biggest slight on that franchise (in my eyes) is that they basically designed a sandbox zombie game and then put an awful time restriction on it. Just totally defeats the purpose IMO.

Old 11-12-2013, 06:36 PM   #22
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthus Dire View Post
Haha once you get used to the atrocious save system it's pretty fun. The biggest slight on that franchise (in my eyes) is that they basically designed a sandbox zombie game and then put an awful time restriction on it. Just totally defeats the purpose IMO.
It works IMO. Ive only played DR2 but I felt the time limit was needed to tell the story they were telling. Besides OTR removed it by adding in a Sandbox mode so you can do what you wanted at your leisure without having to worry about it. Also, did you only play DR1 bc they changed up and improved the save system in the sequel.

Old 11-12-2013, 06:56 PM   #23
Balthus Dire
Punishment Continues

No I abandoned DR1 but played through the entirety of DR2. Yeah, the save system was improved, but the time limit system still breaks the save system occasionally. I still disliked trying to rush to complete everything just incase I ran out of time. The whole fun of Dead Rising is killing zombies with creative, crazy weapons. I still feel the time crunch lessened that, even if it serves a purpose to the story.

Also, the addition of sandbox mode is moot to me because you had to purchase an entirely different version of the game to access it.

All that being said I still enjoyed DR2 haha and the brief demo I played of DR3 was pretty fun, too.

Old 11-12-2013, 07:13 PM   #24
The Hill
Frat House Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Ock View Post
I think Capcom in general has become....bleh. I used to adore them but they have just become a giant shell of their former selves IMO.
It all went down hill when Inafune left the company.

"Shepard you're missing it! It's Goddamn GLORIOUS! I'm clawing out bodies out here!" Grunt Mass Effect 2
Old 11-12-2013, 07:19 PM   #25
Doc Ock
1951-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hill View Post
It all went down hill when Inafune left the company.
I think it was downhill before then as he left in 2010 and I think Capcom this generation just hasn't been good compared to the previous three/four generations. As awesome as Inafune is.