The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Old 11-22-2013, 01:59 AM   #1
\S/JcDc\S/
Panned User

Default How powerful should Jor-el be from beyond the grave?Can he be used to fix plot holes?

This has been a plot device used in some comics, movies, and tv series. If there are some things that will be tough to reconcile logically, should a Jor-el mind wipe be accessible?

Old 11-22-2013, 02:00 AM   #2
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Default Re: How powerful should Jor-el be from beyond the grave?Can he be used to fix plot ho

Every time they have a logical challenge that prevents progress in the story they should bring out Jor-El to fix it. It worked very well in Superman II, in Smallville, and in MoS.

DA_Champion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 02:05 AM   #3
matt47
Side-Kick

Default Re: How powerful should Jor-el be from beyond the grave?Can he be used to fix plot ho

When did it work in man of steel?

matt47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 02:21 AM   #4
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt47 View Post
When did it work in man of steel?
I really loved the part where Clark had no direction in his life until he was 33, and then when he meets Jor-El he acquires direction and we see him smile for the first time and learn to fly. He runs home to Martha, pleased that he met his real parents.

I also liked the part where Clark was stuck on the Kryptonian ship and did not know what to do. He was strapped down, and would have died and the Earth would have been destroyed. Then, Jor-El tells Lois what to do, and Jor-El changes the atmosphere in the ship so that Clark can escape.

But my favourite part of the movie is toward the end. The Kryptonians have been defined as a force that Clark cannot defeat using brute strength only. They are changing the Earth's gravity and chemistry. They are blasting Metropolis and destroying F-18 fighter planes. They cannot be stopped. They cannot be defeated. Except by Jor-El's technology. Jor-El says if you drop Superman's baby crib onto the Kryptonian ship it will create a perfectly calibrated black hole: one with enough gravity to suck in the kryptonians, but not so much gravity that it destroys the Earth.

The franchise needs more Jor-El -- he kicks so much ass. I'd like to see him go to Oa and defeat Sinestro.

Last edited by DA_Champion; 11-22-2013 at 03:01 AM.
Old 11-22-2013, 04:03 AM   #5
matt47
Side-Kick

Ah well yes. I meant has he been used to fix plot holes?

matt47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 05:16 AM   #6
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt47 View Post
Ah well yes. I meant has he been used to fix plot holes?
I just gave you three examples where Jor-El was inserted as a chain between two plot situations that would otherwise be hard to reconcile.

Old 11-22-2013, 05:33 AM   #7
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

He should be powerful enough to come back just long enough to tell Superman where in the wreckage of the ancient scout ship he can find the outer underwear that goes with his costume is.

He truly proved that every person has the potential to be a force for good in this life. So anyone that reads this, do me a favor... Call your parents.
KRYPTON INC. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 05:44 AM   #8
AnneFan
Hathaway #1

I hope they find a way to bring Jor-El's consciousness back. Crowe was seriously good in MOS.

Rio 2 - Song One - Interstellar - The Intern - The Lifeboat - Get Happy
AnneFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 05:47 AM   #9
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick

No thanks.

The Boy Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 05:50 AM   #10
Fallen Angel
Earth Bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneFan View Post
I hope they find a way to bring Jor-El's consciousness back. Crowe was seriously good in MOS.

Me too he was pretty good. I did like the krypton scenes and with him and Lois.

Fallen Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 06:00 AM   #11
nouan
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRYPTON INC. View Post
He should be powerful enough to come back just long enough to tell Superman where in the wreckage of the ancient scout ship he can find the outer underwear that goes with his costume is.
Lol!

nouan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 09:50 AM   #12
Nemeres
Easy, miss. I've got you.

I liked Crowe and his Jor-El, but that thing they did of having him practically be an actual person even after he was dead... was lame. It was (to me) an obvious attempt of milking their super movie star's screen time for all its worth. It's like in Harry Potter: where's the tragedy of someone being dead if you can have them live on as a moving painting, personality and all? He should have been a computer program of sorts, distant and unreachable, like in the Donner film. So no, don't bring him back. Let dead be dead, for chrissakes.

TUUUU-TUUUU-TUUUUUUUUUUU...
Nemeres is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 09:54 AM   #13
Rowsdower!
Hmmmmm.

Yeah, they did milk that a bit too much. I think having him talk to Clark and then help Lois get off Zod's ship was enough. They didn't need another Jor-El/Zod scene.

Also, I caught a blooper the last time I watched it. When Jor-El's holgram is walking around, you can hear his footsteps.

Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Hair (2016)
Hair League for Men (2017)
Wonder Woman's Styling Tips (2018)
Hair of Steel 2 (2018)

The Dark Knight Glazes (2019)
Rowsdower! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 10:00 AM   #14
afan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRYPTON INC. View Post

Seriously.......well as serious as any in depth super-hero discussion can get......I don't care for any iteration that allows Jor-el to play an "active" role in Superman's career. I also dis-like the....."it is your destiny"......"Earth needs only your guidance..." Jor-el-isms.

Old 11-22-2013, 11:01 AM   #15
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by \S/JcDc\S/ View Post
This has been a plot device used in some comics, movies, and tv series. If there are some things that will be tough to reconcile logically, should a Jor-el mind wipe be accessible?
Absolutely Not!!!!!!!!!!! Under no circumstances!

I've heard so many people talk about how Superman would kill Lois if they ever had sex, but I've never heard someone make this point before and it's brilliant. If Superman's bodily fluids are so dangerous, then he'd have to use a kryptonite toilet every time he takes a dump.
charl_huntress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 11:09 AM   #16
LEVITIKUZ
HE'S COMING HOME!!!

So Jor-El is going to be to the Man of Steel series what Old Spock is to the newer Star Trek series?

LEVITIKUZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 11:12 AM   #17
Rowsdower!
Hmmmmm.

Not unless Jor-El starts telling Superman how Christopher Reeve defeated enemies in his movies.

Hair of Steel 2 (2018)

Old 11-22-2013, 11:12 AM   #18
Fallen Angel
Earth Bound

I don't think Russell Crowe will be coming back. A shame I liked his Jor El.

Fallen Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 11:16 AM   #19
LEVITIKUZ
HE'S COMING HOME!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower! View Post
Not unless Jor-El starts telling Superman how Christopher Reeve defeated enemies in his movies.

LEVITIKUZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 11:19 AM   #20
ЯɘvlveR
doilooklikeiknowwhatajpeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen Angel View Post
I don't think Russell Crowe will be coming back. A shame I liked his Jor El.
he's actually said he'd like to come back in a krypton prequel.

ЯɘvlveR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 11:40 AM   #21
The Guard
Side-Kick

I don't really understand people's issue with Jor-El being the cerebral half of the saving force in this movie, with a newly minted Superman being the muscle.

It's little different than Batman taking advice from Alfred or relying on Lucious Fox's technical expertise.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 02:09 PM   #22
Rowsdower!
Hmmmmm.

Yeah, Superman is young, discovering who he is and what he needs to do. He's just being introduced to multiple shocking revelations and Jor-El is there to guide him. He's Morpheus to Superman's Neo (ironic because Morpheus is in the movie as another character!).

I don't know that Jor-El needs to be in a sequel though. I would gather that he can't since the key was destroyed.

Hair of Steel 2 (2018)

Old 11-22-2013, 02:13 PM   #23
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
I don't really understand people's issue with Jor-El being the cerebral half of the saving force in this movie, with a newly minted Superman being the muscle.

It's little different than Batman taking advice from Alfred or relying on Lucious Fox's technical expertise.
I have no problem with the role Jor-El plays and I think it's needed in the movies. I hope we see a return of Crowe too. I thought he was a very good Jor. However, I'm absolutely opposed to any mind-wipes. Never again I say...NEVER AGAIN!

I've heard so many people talk about how Superman would kill Lois if they ever had sex, but I've never heard someone make this point before and it's brilliant. If Superman's bodily fluids are so dangerous, then he'd have to use a kryptonite toilet every time he takes a dump.
charl_huntress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 09:10 AM   #24
GreenKToo
In the fire

I have a feeling that instead of crowe we may see costner return if they do a death of type story down the road.

GreenKToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 09:19 AM   #25
jonathancrane
I love Marvel, DC & EC!

He should be used with discipline. Relying on him to provide exposition for every film is pure laziness.

"I've known since I first took over the series that I wanted to eventually have someone else pick up the hammer," says the writer. "It's kind of a time-honored Thor tradition at this point, isn't it? Going back to the days of Beta Ray Bill."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Johns
ďAt DC, we really see film and TV as separate worlds."
jonathancrane is offline   Reply With Quote