The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Closed Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 10:57 AM   #301
Bathead
The Oldest Geek

Default Re: The Batsuit Thread - Part 7

Myself, I didn't hate the TDK suit unlike some here have said, I just found it ... disappointing. The Begins suit was a disappointment as well, just less so than TDK's. I really was hoping that Nolan was going to go for something other than black rubber again.

*splat*
Old 11-13-2013, 11:08 AM   #302
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bathead View Post
They're not underpants.
'on my world they mean hope'

Old 11-13-2013, 11:37 AM   #303
B:TAS
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultra Nolanite View Post
Hehe, but a grown man wearing underpants on the outside somehow does make sense to you ?
Does a grown man dressing up as a bat make sense to you

Old 11-13-2013, 12:46 PM   #304
Ultra Nolanite
Side-Kick

Quote:
They're not underpants.
Yeah that would require him to wear them under his pants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B:TAS View Post
Does a grown man dressing up as a bat make sense to you
Tired excuse, a grown man dressing up like a bat at night makes a whole lot more sense than said grown man also choosing to wear his underwear on the outside. But don't take my word for it. Watch the MoS extra blu ray content to see why we won't be seeing Batman in his skivvies anytime soon.

Even the comics are dropping them. (no pun intended)

"Sure thing kiddo, I'll just keep pretending to put food in your mouth and clothes on your gorram back"
Old 11-13-2013, 12:47 PM   #305
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Quote:
Hehe, but a grown man wearing underpants on the outside somehow does make sense to you ?
http://kerrycallen.blogspot.com/sear...Super%20Antics

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Old 11-13-2013, 12:49 PM   #306
Sex
Side-Kick

Death to underpants.

Old 11-13-2013, 12:59 PM   #307
John-An
The Man of Tomorrow

Quote:
They're not underpants.
Agreed

Old 11-13-2013, 01:18 PM   #308
BatFan1979
The Fan Batman Needs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMan of Steel View Post
Agreed
I'm not a fan of the trunks in live action myself, but even I have enough respect for their history to not refer to them as underpants or underwear. They had their relevance in the past and have lived in the comics as a classic look, but I think times are changing and the styles of superheroes seem to be changing along with them, even in the comics. It's just not a relevant look anymore, in my opinion.

Old 11-13-2013, 01:29 PM   #309
TheDarkKnight83
Vigilante

To sort of play devil's advocate.

Some people are going to be against them just on principle, and if you think of them as literal trunks it doesn't really make sense outside of the perceived aesthetic value, but if they had a function like a stylized rappelling harness for his grappling gun combined with an extra layer of protection I think it may be less objectionable to most reasonable people. Thinking underpants is the same as thinking spandex everytime someone mentions cloth/fabric.

It could look somewhere between these.

Giving them a purpose is kind of the same semi-logic behind the oval (a target for an area with extra armor), and lenses (HUD or night vision), or how in the Nolan films he had a listening device in the ears of the cowl.

Also someone else mentioned the idea of a black undersuit with a thicker gray material covering everywhere but the places he needs to bend, which would give the illusion of them without actually having them. The Arkham Origins suit actually does that, even though some hate that suit in general.
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

and a cosplay version of the same idea:

There are many ways to convey the visual of them without actually having them, just like all cloth/fabric isn't flimsy shiny spandex.

Old 11-13-2013, 01:37 PM   #310
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkKnight83 View Post

Some people are going to be against them just on principle, and if you think of them as literal trunks it doesn't really make sense outside of the perceived aesthetic value, but if they had a function like a stylized rappelling harness for his grappling gun combined with an extra layer of protection I think it may be less objectionable to most reasonable people. Thinking underpants is the same as thinking spandex everytime someone mentions cloth/fabric.

Giving them a purpose is kind of the same semi-logic behind the oval (a target for an area with extra armor), and lenses (HUD or night vision), or how in the Nolan films he had a listening device in the ears of the cowl.

Also someone else mentioned the idea of a black undersuit with a thicker gray material covering everywhere but the places he needs to bend, which would give the illusion of them without actually having them. The Arkham Origins suit actually does that, even though some hate that suit in general.
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

and a cosplay version of the same idea:

There are many ways to convey the visual of them without actually having them, just like all cloth/fabric isn't flimsy shiny spandex.
Exactly

Old 11-13-2013, 01:54 PM   #311
BatFan1979
The Fan Batman Needs...

Quote:

I am totally for a more "defensive fabric" (copyright pending ) look to the next suit. Flexibility is the key when it comes to Batman, but when it comes to your example of giving the trunks area a purpose - why do that at all? A rappelling harness could be designed into the suit without needing to make it a visibly contrasting design element; I think it would be a bit distracting. I see where you were going with that suggestion though.

Old 11-13-2013, 01:57 PM   #312
Ultra Nolanite
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatFan1979 View Post
I'm not a fan of the trunks in live action myself, but even I have enough respect for their history to not refer to them as underpants or underwear. They had their relevance in the past and have lived in the comics as a classic look, but I think times are changing and the styles of superheroes seem to be changing along with them, even in the comics. It's just not a relevant look anymore, in my opinion.
It's the same reason why Iron man's armor in the movies is what it is instead of this...

A relic of the past.

Back then people thought you couldn't possibly look like a powerful individual without looking like a muscle-y circus strongman. Things are supposed to make a little bit more sense nowadays and respect for the past does not mean we should live in it IMO.

Maybe they can do a jokey little reference with Alfred in the Batcave or something but I'll eat my shoe and two crows if Batman has the trunks in this movie.

And I know there's people out there who want Iron Man to look like ^^^ And that's fine, I just think it's crazy.

"Sure thing kiddo, I'll just keep pretending to put food in your mouth and clothes on your gorram back"
Old 11-13-2013, 01:58 PM   #313
TheDarkKnight83
Vigilante

Quote:
I am totally for a more "defensive fabric" (copyright pending ) look to the next suit. Flexibility is the key when it comes to Batman, but when it comes to your example of giving the trunks area a purpose - why do that at all? A rappelling harness could be designed into the suit without needing to make it a visibly contrasting design element; I think it would be a bit distracting. I see where you were going with that suggestion though.
Why do people want the gauntlets and boots to be a different color from the bodysuit?

Old 11-13-2013, 02:02 PM   #314
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

To me it's not about dismissing anyone's opinion, I just think live action Superhero costumes look better without the trunks. On the flip side I don't like lazy "ain't this cool" all black leather or rubber costumes. I think smartly adapting the costume is the best thing. I'm not as picky about costumes as one might think. Only ones I actively dislike are the X-Men costumes, all of the Batman costumes and that Wonder Woman cancelled T.V show costume and that dislike was mainly based on how it was executed. I can't think of anyothers I care to talk about...well I wasn't happy with DareDevil's costume but it wasn't awful.

Old 11-13-2013, 02:05 PM   #315
BatFan1979
The Fan Batman Needs...

Quote:
It's the same reason why Iron man's armor in the movies is what it is instead of this...

A relic of the past.

Back then people thought you couldn't possibly look like a powerful individual without looking like a muscle-y circus strongman. Things are supposed to make a little bit more sense nowadays and respect for the past does not mean we should live in it IMO.

Maybe they can do a jokey little reference with Alfred in the Batcave or something but I'll eat my shoe and two crows if Batman has the trunks in this movie.

And I know there's people out there who want Iron Man to look like ^^^ And that's fine, I just think it's crazy.
Great example! I mean I tried looking for other good film versions of superheroes with the trunk look, but had a really hard time. I mean Nite Owl from Watchmen was the only good example, but he was part of an old-timey superhero group that played up that theme in the storyline itself. I mean the costume is cool for what it is- it served that movie well, but modern superheros just don't need the trunks. It's definitely a throwback to a bygone era.

Old 11-13-2013, 02:13 PM   #316
BatFan1979
The Fan Batman Needs...

Quote:
Why do people want the gauntlets and boots to be a different color from the bodysuit?
I'd say because they are functionally different pieces of the suit that can be removed and it adds just enough contrasting interest to the overall design. I mean I guess you could make his whole suit grey for that matter, cowl and all, but it would be very bland. On the other hand, making an area of the bodysuit a contrasting color just for the sake of doing so I think is less than good design.

Old 11-13-2013, 02:31 PM   #317
BatFan1979
The Fan Batman Needs...

I'm gonna bring this up again - which one?
1. regular eyes without black eye paint
2. regular eyes with black eye paint
3. white eyes with lenses on cowl
4. white eyes with lenses directly on eyes

Old 11-13-2013, 02:32 PM   #318
Side-Kick

So I think it's pretty clear that were most likely going to get a grey suit, but what do you guys think it will be made of, rubber, cloth, spandex? Thoughts?

Old 11-13-2013, 02:34 PM   #319
Nicko-Ray
"HARRY'S DEAD!"

^ I kind of predicted that. (as many others may have) I'm not a huge batman fan but I think a grey suit would be really cool to contrast from the previous batman movies. I would love a grey suit but made of a rubber/cloth/spandex like you asked. Maybe some sort of a thicker fabric.

Old 11-13-2013, 02:40 PM   #320
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

Quote:
Doubt they will cover up the eyes with lenses. He's not Judge Dredd and they aren't likely to cut off that much of the performance when the alternative works quite well already.

My worst fear: When I die all I see is a sign saying 'level 2'. Which means I have to live all of this all over again. Only on a higher difficulty setting.
Old 11-13-2013, 02:43 PM   #321
TheNextNolan22
A Man Called Sting

Quote:
So I think it's pretty clear that were most likely going to get a grey suit, but what do you guys think it will be made of, rubber, cloth, spandex? Thoughts?
Cloth over armor.

Stop all this positive thinking. Only negativity is allowed in here.
When it comes to Superman.....Make mine CAVILL
Dats dat.
Old 11-13-2013, 02:43 PM   #322
Ultra Nolanite
Side-Kick

Quote:
I would love lenses directly on the eyes, but I think you can't get around black eye paint. I didn't really love the cowl lenses in TDK. They need to emote to work IMO. Haha, maybe they'll go nuts and enhance they eye section with CGI. So that it really looks like the comics.

Quote:
I'm hoping form fitting and sturdy cloth. But I think like with the MoS costume Snyder and his team will come up with a fabric we've never seen before or knew was possible.

Old 11-13-2013, 02:50 PM   #323
Mike_D202
Green Lantern's roommate

That's actually the first time where I would agree that the "underpants look" actually works. He would need that area to be flexible for mobility while the rest is armored. Wasn't the "harness look" used on some artwork as well? I'm thinking with the "ultimate batman" years ago.

I imagine there was more of "MoS was a disappointment," with maybe a splash of "DC is dragging their feet." Maybe even "DC is just making a cash grab."
Old 11-13-2013, 02:52 PM   #324
BatFan1979
The Fan Batman Needs...

Quote:
I would love lenses directly on the eyes, but I think you can't get around black eye paint. I didn't really love the cowl lenses in TDK. They need to emote to work IMO. Haha, maybe they'll go nuts and enhance they eye section with CGI. So that it really looks like the comics.
I honestly would love to see well shaped white lenses on the mask, but I agree that the movement of the eyes is important to the performance, so I'm torn. I'm sure it'll end up being the traditional black eye paint.

Quote:
I'm hoping form fitting and sturdy cloth. But I think like with the MoS costume Snyder and his team will come up with a fabric we've never seen before or knew was possible.
I agree! Can't wait to see what these magicians come up with.

Old 11-13-2013, 02:53 PM   #325
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

Can't say I've noticed the mesh/scale look on the armour in the actual game itself funnily enough.

My worst fear: When I die all I see is a sign saying 'level 2'. Which means I have to live all of this all over again. Only on a higher difficulty setting.
Closed Thread