The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Old 11-24-2013, 07:14 PM   #1
Dr. Remy Lebeau
The doctor is in chere!

Default How will the Mystique/Xavier connection be legitimized in DOFP?

So in the original trilogy there was obviously no reference to the Xavier/Mystique connection (since they hadn't come up with it yet). In First Class a huge link was established between Raven and Charles. Somewhere in between these films Mystique has to become so bad that Xavier is not even willing to acknowledge to anyone that he grew up with her and that she eventually betrayed him.

Can DOFP somehow make this situation make sense?

Dr. Remy Lebeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 07:29 PM   #2
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

Default Re: How will the Mystique/Xavier connection be legitimized in DOFP?

If this film creates a new timeline it may no need to make sense of it because things will be different this time

We can't be sure

Old 11-24-2013, 08:20 PM   #3
The Guard
Side-Kick

Seeing as how there's nothing in the OT to contradict them once having known each other, doing this is largely irrelevant.

Xavier was mum and vague about a lot of things in his past in the original trilogy. Mystique could easily be one of those things he finds too painful to talk about.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 08:50 PM   #4
Great Mind(s)
Broken

I think it flows fine even going from First Class to X1. He doesnt need to tell Logan his autobiography. They never have a scene together anyway, nothing contradicts it.

Great Mind(s) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 03:04 PM   #5
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

In the OT, Xavier was shown to have lots of secrets - he knew about Wolverine's past and he was revealed to have tampered with Jean's mind.

Mystique knew her way around the mansion quite well, including how to sabotage Cerebro.

There's enough there to allow the idea of them having a history. And there's nothing wrong with revelations in these films to give them something new and surprising.

The biggest leap they have to make is turning insecure First Class Mystique into tough, cold OT Mystique.

Old 11-25-2013, 03:07 PM   #6
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
Seeing as how there's nothing in the OT to contradict them once having known each other, doing this is largely irrelevant.
Bingo.

There's not a whole lot that you and I agree on right now, but this is one of the few things we DO agree on.

There's absolutely nothing in the OT that contradicts Raven/Mystique and Charles having been 'foster' siblings in their younger days before she joined up with Magneto.

Quote:
"Despair is for people who know beyond any doubt what the future is going to be. Nobody's in that position. So despair is not only a kind of sin - theologically - it's also a simple mistake, because nobody actually knows." - Dr. Patrick Curry
Quote:
"There is no "supposed to be." It's an adaptation, a word that literally means change. Why bother making a new version if it doesn't offer a fresh approach?" - Christopher L. Bennett
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 03:19 PM   #7
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigificWriter View Post
Bingo.

There's not a whole lot that you and I agree on right now, but this is one of the few things we DO agree on.

There's absolutely nothing in the OT that contradicts Raven/Mystique and Charles having been 'foster' siblings in their younger days before she joined up with Magneto.
Exactly.

Prequels often show things that you wouldn't think possable.

Enterprise has people scraching their heads why do vulcans act so different and why don't Klingons look like they do In original show.In final season of enterprise it was handled very well.

Even In comics Xavier Is shown to lie and mislead people.What's happened with mystique can fit with OT.For example how did mystique know to break Into mansion.She knew in first Class about sub-basement that was bomb shelter and later turned into headquarters.Mystique Is turning into the X-Men/X2 version In DOFP.It's called taking popular character In Trilogy and giving her an arc.

Old 11-25-2013, 05:52 PM   #8
Dr. Remy Lebeau
The doctor is in chere!

I don't know. When Mystique poisoned Xavier's mind in X1, one would assume Xavier would be highly bothered by this, and thus expressed it in some way. This is his surrogate sister that tried to kill him (or severly harm him) after all.

In X2 I could understand there being no mention of the connection.

In X3 though, when Beast shows Xavier that Mystique has been captured, one would think that Beast and Xavier would reflect in some way on their experience with her before she became the super villain she was.

It's just too much of a leap for me to accept that the connection Xavier and Mystique shared was all but meaningless in the OT. It DOFT is setting out to set the X-men Cinematic universe right, then this needs to be addressed in some way. I have faith Singer will.

Old 11-25-2013, 06:45 PM   #9
storyteller
Side-Kick

Well between X-men fc and X-men who knows how many times they have had to war.

X-men he never got a chance to discuss his feelings. I mean he wakes up at the end and he has a one on one with Magneto.

X-men 3- Again a lot of time has passed. Maybe what she's done has killed their connection . Of course he has bigger things to worry about.

Xavier may have been burned way to much to give a damn about the girl. Of course they never have a one on one. It's the lack of interaction that allows this plotline.

Its time to be a man..................and run away.
storyteller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 07:29 PM   #10
The Guard
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Reme Lebeau View Post
I don't know. When Mystique poisoned Xavier's mind in X1, one would assume Xavier would be highly bothered by this, and thus expressed it in some way. This is his surrogate sister that tried to kill him (or severly harm him) after all.

In X2 I could understand there being no mention of the connection.

In X3 though, when Beast shows Xavier that Mystique has been captured, one would think that Beast and Xavier would reflect in some way on their experience with her before she became the super villain she was.

It's just too much of a leap for me to accept that the connection Xavier and Mystique shared was all but meaningless in the OT. It DOFT is setting out to set the X-men Cinematic universe right, then this needs to be addressed in some way. I have faith Singer will.

They can't reflect on something that writers haven't come up with yet. Even taking into account the retroactive change in their relationship, there's not a single logical story or character reason why Xavier should have reacted any way other than how he did in the original trilogy. He and Mystique were ENEMIES by that point. That is the point of her "transformation" in the FIRST CLASS franchise.

And if I'm right
Old 11-25-2013, 11:32 PM   #11
Dr. Remy Lebeau
The doctor is in chere!

Quote:

They can't reflect on something that writers haven't come up with yet. Even taking into account the retroactive change in their relationship, there's not a single logical story or character reason why Xavier should have reacted any way other than how he did in the original trilogy. He and Mystique were ENEMIES by that point. That is the point of her "transformation" in the FIRST CLASS franchise.
That's my whole point. It was not thought of in the OT so there needs to be some justification for how the characters could have grown that far apart in 40+ years given that they wrote the close relationship as an integral part of Xavier/Mystique relationship in FC. All I'm asking for from the writers is to address that. For those of you that don't think it's important, then good for you for being okay with this. It slightly bothers me. It doesn't mean I don't love FC, because I do.

Old 11-26-2013, 03:57 AM   #12
EnDz0n3
Side-Kick

Quote:

They can't reflect on something that writers haven't come up with yet.
Do you even know what the point of contention was? Coz this statement kinda proves that you don't...

The eye roll smilie just compounds the cluelessness on your part. LOL

Last edited by EnDz0n3; 11-26-2013 at 06:53 AM.
EnDz0n3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 12:50 PM   #13
Great Mind(s)
Broken

Its been 40 years, its personal...what is he gonna say? How did we do Jean? Can you believe my step sister did this to me? Oh let me tell you, it all started in 1962...

Last edited by Great Mind(s); 11-26-2013 at 12:53 PM.
Great Mind(s) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 12:52 PM   #14
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

Acting like this is an actual issue that somehow needs to be addressed is, quite honestly, making a mountain out of a molehill.

Quote:
"Despair is for people who know beyond any doubt what the future is going to be. Nobody's in that position. So despair is not only a kind of sin - theologically - it's also a simple mistake, because nobody actually knows." - Dr. Patrick Curry
Quote:
"There is no "supposed to be." It's an adaptation, a word that literally means change. Why bother making a new version if it doesn't offer a fresh approach?" - Christopher L. Bennett
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 01:32 PM   #15
The Guard
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnDz0n3 View Post
Do you even know what the point of contention was? Coz this statement kinda proves that you don't...

The eye roll smilie just compounds the cluelessness on your part. LOL
Yes. And no. I don't think my statement proves at all that I don't know the original point of contention. Can you show me how it does?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Reme Lebeau View Post
That's my whole point. It was not thought of in the OT so there needs to be some justification for how the characters could have grown that far apart in 40+ years given that they wrote the close relationship as an integral part of Xavier/Mystique relationship in FC. All I'm asking for from the writers is to address that. For those of you that don't think it's important, then good for you for being okay with this. It slightly bothers me. It doesn't mean I don't love FC, because I do.
The writers DID address that, when they CREATED the issue. In FIRST CLASS. The "drifting" between Xavier and Mystique has already been addressed. If its addressed further and we get some further development of Mystique into who we know her as, great, icing on the cake. But to pretend like it hasn't been dealt with at all would be silly.

And if I'm right
Old 11-26-2013, 02:28 PM   #16
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

He could wipe her memory. That would make sense. Then he just tries to forget that she was once his friend.

pr0xyt0xin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 02:41 PM   #17
The Guard
Side-Kick

Does Xavier really strike anyone as the sentimental type?

The moral type, sure, but the sentimental type? I don't think so. He's a very practical, logical fellow.

Does he ever once wax poetic about his time with Magneto, etc in the original trilogy?

No. He just explains that Magneto was once more than a destructive force.

And if I'm right
Old 11-26-2013, 10:17 PM   #18
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0xyt0xin View Post
He could wipe her memory. That would make sense. Then he just tries to forget that she was once his friend.
Yes!

And someone mentioned this before about Emma Frost wiping out Mystique's memory with Charles.

"Will you control that power or let it control you?" - X3
"Is the future truly set?" - X4
www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 10:53 PM   #19
Loganbabe
Don't want your future

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
Yes!

And someone mentioned this before about Emma Frost wiping out Mystique's memory with Charles.
I mentioned this. I've always liked the idea - Raven wanted to become Mystique but her memories of Charles brought feelings of remorse. Emma could take care of it.

It would have been a good solution for the conflict.

James McAvoy & Patrick Stewart
Loganbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 09:10 PM   #20
PoSeiDon
Side-Kick

Angry Re: How will the Mystique/Xavier connection be legitimized in DOFP?

Mystique walking straight into the mansion and sabotaging cerebro left me wondering; how did she know where it was so easily?

It was never a glaring problem for me, however. When I saw FC, it made sense. They were once friends and like all things became enemies.

DOFP does not need to address anything further because FC did. Now, looking at the OT, these people are in their 50s/60s and their dislike/hatred is SET IN THEIR WAYS!

No one in 1999 was thinking about creating a cinematic universe. It was movie to movie based on how the previous movie did at the box office. Now with TDK and Marvel/Disney everyone wants to howl about continuity issues. In this case, there is nothing more that needs to be done. X-men FC established how he once knew her and why they were enemies in the OT. Also, X1-X3 gave no indication Xavier found out how cerebro was screwed up.

PoSeiDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 10:48 PM   #21
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

well going by rumored ending of film
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
where it looks like trilogy Is erased because of time travel+Viral site already conterdicting trilogy
this
Is all a moot issue.

Old 11-27-2013, 10:53 PM   #22
PoSeiDon
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post
where it looks like trilogy Is erased because of time travel+Viral site already conterdicting trilogy
this
Is all a moot issue.
Come now, lol. Declaring things moot is never the end of it for some hahahahaha.

PoSeiDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 10:58 PM   #23
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Marvelrobbins keep mentioning that spoiler. I don't know why he keeps posting that in every thread, but its really getting old now.

"Will you control that power or let it control you?" - X3
"Is the future truly set?" - X4
www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 11:00 PM   #24
SpideyFan866
Hero Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post
this
Is all a moot issue.
The viral contradicts nothing.

You are just reading to much into things.

SpideyFan866 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 11:26 PM   #25
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpideyFan866 View Post
The viral contradicts nothing.

You are just reading to much into things.
Ignoring the viral the mystique/Xavier connection Is looking like to be a moot
Issue soon
If time travel erases the trilogy.Then It won't matter about any differences between FC and trilogy