The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Closed Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 12:30 PM   #751
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

Default Re: Days of Future Past News and Discussion - - - - - - - Part 16

@Nell:

Don't take this the wrong way, but you occasionally come across as a flip-flopper with the way you talk about certain topics of discussion here.

A case in point:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell2ThaIzzay View Post
So then you agree with my point.

This may or may not be canon.
That's not the point you were conveying before I posted my rebuttals. You were saying unequivocally that the viral marketing isn't Canon, and now you're saying that things could swing either way.

Quote:
"Despair is for people who know beyond any doubt what the future is going to be. Nobody's in that position. So despair is not only a kind of sin - theologically - it's also a simple mistake, because nobody actually knows." - Dr. Patrick Curry
Quote:
"There is no "supposed to be." It's an adaptation, a word that literally means change. Why bother making a new version if it doesn't offer a fresh approach?" - Christopher L. Bennett
Old 11-26-2013, 12:30 PM   #752
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

There doesn't have to be three timelines.

1:Post first Class+Viral campagin+Post apocalypic 2023
2T after time travel of DOFP.

Old 11-26-2013, 12:35 PM   #753
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post
There doesn't have to be three timelines.

1:Post first Class+Viral campagin+Post apocalypic 2023
2T after time travel of DOFP.
But it won't be the OT if the rumoured ending is true, at least it won't seem like it is

it will be to different, and esp as you will have to ignore the ending to the wolverine with all the trask stuff otherwise it stands out oddly to the rumoured ending

Last edited by GuestStar2004; 11-26-2013 at 12:40 PM.
Old 11-26-2013, 12:35 PM   #754
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigificWriter View Post
@Nell:

Don't take this the wrong way, but you occasionally come across as a flip-flopper with the way you talk about certain topics of discussion here.

A case in point:

That's not the point you were conveying before I posted my rebuttals. You were saying unequivocally that the viral marketing isn't Canon, and now you're saying that things could swing either way.
Do you even read what you are responding to? I never once said that it was unequivocally not canon. My first post on the subject, 2 pages back:

Quote:
All of this is well and good, but at the end of the day, I choose to not build my timelines off of MARKETING, which aren't even made by the creative people on the film, and at the end of the day may have absolutely zero bearing on the actual film itself.

It's just something nice and fun to spread word about the film, but it's not necessarily something that's going to be part of the established continuity come film time.
Notice my usage of the words "may not" and "not necessarily"

Old 11-26-2013, 12:38 PM   #755
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Do you even read what you are responding to? I never once said that it was unequivocally not canon. My first post on the subject, 2 pages back:

Notice my usage of the words "may not" and "not necessarily"

Then a page after that you posted this. Pretty sure that's what DW is referring to.

Quote:
We're still working under the mindset that all this viral stuff is canon, and quite frankly, it's not.

It might have been approved for marketing, but it's not canon, so whatever it contradicts or supports is basically irrelevant until it works itself into the actual movie.
Quote:
The fact that it's not anywhere in a single one of the movies?

For every man there is a cause which he would proudly die for. Defend the right to have a place for which he can belong to...and every man will fight with his bare hands in desperation...and shed his blood to stem the flood to barricade invasion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arata 新 View Post
I don't like how USA portray Godzilla. Godzilla is a good man and kind man. Why can't Americans see this?
Monica Bellucci for Hippolyta in SvB
Old 11-26-2013, 12:41 PM   #756
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

i honestly think its a context thing, either way Magneto was back in prison in the OT and that would been around 2013 seeing as 10 years later is DOFP 2023

it truly makes no sense with stuff jackman, stewart and singer have said about the future portion of the movie that its not the same as the OT, singer didn't have to say its set 10 years after X3 if it wasn't all he had to say was its set 2023 and just leave it there and fans would just make there own minds up

there is just alot going against that theory, in terms of what has been said and what logically makes sense in the decisions singer has made

Last edited by GuestStar2004; 11-26-2013 at 12:48 PM.
Old 11-26-2013, 12:42 PM   #757
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

craigdbfan 'Ninja'd' me. I was just about to post the specific examples he/she cited.

@Nell: I'm not trying to attack you,BTW; I'm trying to help you communicate more effectively.

Quote:
"Despair is for people who know beyond any doubt what the future is going to be. Nobody's in that position. So despair is not only a kind of sin - theologically - it's also a simple mistake, because nobody actually knows." - Dr. Patrick Curry
Quote:
"There is no "supposed to be." It's an adaptation, a word that literally means change. Why bother making a new version if it doesn't offer a fresh approach?" - Christopher L. Bennett
Old 11-26-2013, 12:44 PM   #758
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigdbfan View Post
Then a page after that you posted this. Pretty sure that's what DW is referring to.
But it's not canon unless it's part of the movie.

And right now we don't know if it is or not.

It could be. That could be why

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Magneto is in prison and Quicksilver is recruited to break him out

I also think it's an interesting theory if true.

But unless it's in the movie - and we don't know if It Is or isn't right now - it's not canon.

Old 11-26-2013, 12:45 PM   #759
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
The fact that it's not anywhere in a single one of the movies?
Except that there's one movie that's not out yet that we haven't seen, so...

Old 11-26-2013, 12:47 PM   #760
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

Quote:
craigdbfan 'Ninja'd' me. I was just about to post the specific examples he/she cited.

@Nell: I'm not trying to attack you,BTW; I'm trying to help you communicate more effectively.
That very same post in question I still mentioned "if it works its way into the movie"

Meaning, considering the possibility that it is canon.

But marketing in and of itself is not canon. It may match canon. But on its own it is not.

Old 11-26-2013, 12:48 PM   #761
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Quote:

But unless it's in the movie - and we don't know if It Is or isn't right now - it's not canon.
But since it's been released as part of the marketing, which is tied to the movie...and yes, it's tied to the movie...there's no harm in discussion about the likelihood of it being part of the story.

Old 11-26-2013, 12:49 PM   #762
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

Quote:

Again, see the examples I previously cited, all of which contradict your unequivocal statement that if it's "not in the movie, it's not Canon".

Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-26-2013, 12:50 PM   #763
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoyse View Post
Except that there's one movie that's not out yet that we haven't seen, so...
So maybe until we see that movie and see what it establishes as canon, we don't take things as granted?

That's all I'm saying. And I have said it but now 3 people have chosen to ignore it.

The marketing may prove accurate or inaccurate to the movie. We won't know until it comes out.

But in the meantime, marketing is just that, marketing, and does not act as established indisputable continuity.

Old 11-26-2013, 12:51 PM   #764
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

Quote:
Again, see the examples I previously cited, all of which contradict your unequivocal statement that if it's "not in the movie, it's not Canon".
I have not said anything contradictory.

If you don't get it, that's not my fault.

Old 11-26-2013, 12:53 PM   #765
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
So maybe until we see that movie and see what it establishes as canon, we don't take things as granted?

That's all I'm saying. And I have said it but now 3 people have chosen to ignore it.

The marketing may prove accurate or inaccurate to the movie. We won't know until it comes out.

But in the meantime, marketing is just that, marketing, and does not act as established indisputable continuity.
Yes, as I've worked in marketing for more than a decade, I'm aware of how it functions.

But I'm not sure what your point is here. Do you want people to stop discussing this stuff? Because it looks like we've all been having fun with it so far.

Old 11-26-2013, 12:54 PM   #766
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

@Nell: I'm not going to argue with you any more if you choose to not recognize how your posts come across.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-26-2013, 12:56 PM   #767
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoyse View Post
Yes, as I've worked in marketing for more than a decade, I'm aware of how it functions.

But I'm not sure what your point is here. Do you want people to stop discussing this stuff? Because it looks like we've all been having fun with it so far.
No, I'm just making a point that the marketing isn't canon and we shouldn't have to pigeonhole every theory to match the marketing or get confused and stumped when something doesn't match the marketing.

Whatever. I'm getting real over these threads. I can't express a contradictory opinion without everyone jumping on me, and my opinion on these movies has never been welcome here, so ill just do everyone here a favor.

*Unsubscribes*

Go ahead and pop your champagne.

Old 11-26-2013, 01:00 PM   #768
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

^ You're trying to make a definitive argument that can't be quantified in the way you're trying to.... particularly in light of the examples I've cited, which are, AFAIK, considered to be Canon within the context of their respective properties.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-26-2013, 01:07 PM   #769
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

I said on here ages ago that one possibility was that the time-travel undoes the apocalyptic future and creates the OT.

The only problem I have with that is that the OT didn't exactly end the trilogy in a good way. X3 had mediocre reviews and fan outrage (over the deaths and curings and ineffectual mashing of two distinct plots). Why bring things round full circle to a film that is not held in high regard?

Old 11-26-2013, 01:14 PM   #770
Double B
Side-Kick

Ooh, it's hot in hurrrrrr.

And that is precisely why I don't think the time travel leads back to the OT timeline. Least of all because nothing is fixed/changed as hinted by Singer. But also, TLS brought the team movies to an absolute standstill. Why would they want to return to that state of play when they now have the chance to get away with doing whatever they want/resurrecting characters, etc?

Old 11-26-2013, 01:15 PM   #771
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

X3 was financially successful, and, as demonstrated by The Wolverine and other statements made by the PTBs, they clearly want to continue to extend the franchise without rebooting it... which is what a scenario where Wolverine's actions in 1973 in DoFP actually result in the events of the OT and beyond (The Wolverine) occurring allows them to do.

As for the time travel not allowing Singer to "fix ****" if it all just leads back to the OT and beyond, that's not a statement that any one of us fans can make because we're not privy to the details of what Singer has in mind, and we've already seen several examples that qualify as "fixing ****" that have nothing to do with the time travel at all.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-26-2013, 01:19 PM   #772
Mr.M
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuestStar2004 View Post
But it won't be the OT if the rumoured ending is true, at least it won't seem like it is

it will be to different, and esp as you will have to ignore the ending to the wolverine with all the trask stuff otherwise it stands out oddly to the rumoured ending
There are other ways to bring back Cyclops without having that ending. We need to get out of the mindset that the ending is what it seems. It could be taken out of context. Who knows? I'd be interested to know what BAMF's views of this are, and how it coincides with this viral information.

I am still of the belief that a lot of things in the OT are going to change to set up a more viable future for the series, one which is in line with the rumored ending, so I think we're looking at multiple timelines in play.

Old 11-26-2013, 01:21 PM   #773
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
I said on here ages ago that one possibility was that the time-travel undoes the apocalyptic future and creates the OT.

The only problem I have with that is that the OT didn't exactly end the trilogy in a good way. X3 had mediocre reviews and fan outrage (over the deaths and curings and ineffectual mashing of two distinct plots). Why bring things round full circle to a film that is not held in high regard?
There remains possabilty Singer may retcon Cyclops and Jean as well as Xavier's deaths.And seriously how many people are going to be up In arm about altering a few details of last Stand?

Placing Origins In original timeline would allow SInger to fix the inconsentys of weapon X exprements between X-Men/X2 and Origins.

Magneto may have to help Xavier rebuild Cerebro In DOFP to find Mystique solving that Inconsentsy.

If the Wolverine took place In original timeline with Jean's death In OT timeline you could say It mostly still happened except for Jean's death.That way you could give them freedom for next wolverine film.

based on viral campagin you are left with 2 choices at end of film.10 years after last stand or 10 years after altered version of Last Stand.

Old 11-26-2013, 01:25 PM   #774
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

That rumored ending is in no way contradictory to or incompatible with the idea that Wolverine's actions in 1973 actually result in the events of the OT and beyond happening, and would actually be consistent with statements Singer's made concerning the sources to which he looked for inspiration in coming up with the story for the movie.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-26-2013, 01:28 PM   #775
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
X3 was financially successful, and, as demonstrated by The Wolverine and other statements made by the PTBs, they clearly want to continue to extend the franchise without rebooting it... which is what a scenario where Wolverine's actions in 1973 in DoFP actually result in the events of the OT and beyond (The Wolverine) occurring allows them to do.
Yes, it was financially successful (and the opening weekend was amazing) but mediocre reviews, fan disappointment and poor word of mouth gave it weak legs at the box office. Even those of us who aren't rabid haters of the movie acknowledge it had faults, and that it brought the franchise to an unpleasant halt from which it is still trying to recover.

Quote:
As for the time travel not allowing Singer to "fix ****" if it all just leads back to the OT and beyond, that's not a statement that any one of us fans can make because we're not privy to the details of what Singer has in mind, and we've already seen several examples that qualify as "fixing ****" that have nothing to do with the time travel at all.
If the time travel merely takes us back to a world post-X3, it seems a very convoluted and costly way to do it when they could just make a direct sequel and carry on from there. There is thus no need for DoFP at all if that's the case.

I find it hard to believe they would spend $200m making a movie just to take us back to the way things ended in 2006.

Something has to turn out differently.

So, what do you envisage as the s**t that will be fixed?