Default Re: Fantastic Four reborn! - Part 7

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is Here

Old 02-05-2014, 11:17 PM   #3
wobbly
Occasional Scribbler

Default Re: Fantastic Four reborn! - Part 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
They did one movie together where he had a minor supporting role 2 years ago. Total BFFs. :rolleyes:
Hey, you don't have to take my word for it:

This is Jordan himself on the Torch rumours: "Everyone knows Josh Trank and I are good friends. It’s something that if it happened I would be ecstatic,” says Jordan, giving a big wink. “I’d love to be a part of it.”

“That wink was off the record,” he then laughs.

And again:

"I mean there's a chance that I might be part of that film. I'm a big comic book guy. And the director Josh Trank is a big buddy of mine. We did 'Chronicle' together, which is another film that did well for me. If it happens… maybe."

I kinda get the feeling they are not just passing acquaintances...

Old 02-05-2014, 11:22 PM   #4
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Default Re: Fantastic Four reborn! - Part 9

Quote:
A lot of you naysayers seem like the ones who derided the likes of Tobey Maguire
Nope.

Quote:
Anne Hathaway
Nope.

Quote:
Jennifer Lawrence
Nope.

Quote:
Heath Ledger
Nope.

Quote:
Ben Affleck
Nope.

Quote:
Lawrence Fishburne
Nope.

Thank God I passed the 'mclay18 Open-Minded Fanboy' test. Do I get a prize?

resounding through the mountains
and off into the empty sky.
- Ryōkan

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Old 02-06-2014, 12:37 AM   #5
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Not sure what to think about some of these rumors.

- CM Punk
Old 02-06-2014, 12:56 AM   #6
Randal Graves
Side-Kick

Trank just posted on Twitter that the gender swap is BS.

Old 02-06-2014, 01:06 AM   #7
JP
Smelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randal Graves View Post
Of course it is. And next week Variety will say Reed and Sue are siblings, and everyone will believe that, too.

Old 02-06-2014, 01:13 AM   #8
Quasimod0
Bell-Ringer

They oughtta release some real info instead of just denying fake info

Saving Mr. Banks- 9/10, Jack Ryan- 7/10, The Lego Movie- 9/10, Non-Stop- 8/10, Captain America: The Winter Soldier- 10/10, The Amazing Spider-Man 2-8/10, Godzilla- 7/10, Days of Future Past- 8/10, Edge of Tomorrow- 8.5/10, Transformers 4- 7.5/10, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes- 10/10, Guardians of the Galaxy- 9/10
Old 02-06-2014, 02:13 AM   #9
Paradox1
Side-Kick

They are not obligated too release anything.

"Wars are never won, regardless of who might be the victor. The very act of war is itself a horrible defeat." Guardian of the Universe "Battleground: Oa!" Green Lantern, 1st Silver Age series, #127, Denny O'Neil)
Old 02-06-2014, 02:53 AM   #10
Dasher10
Side-Kick

Josh Trank said one story was true. I'm guessing that's Jordan as Human Torch or teller as Reed Richards is the true one. I'm just going to guess that Lucia Von Bardas won't be the villain and Human Torch won't be a mutant. Both of those ideas sound amazingly fake. I'm just saying.

Old 02-06-2014, 02:58 AM   #11
DarthDaveBanner
Side-Kick

Hopefully all these "fake" rumours will motivate Trank to give us some real info

Old 02-06-2014, 04:50 AM   #12
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

Just because Trank is debunking certain things doesn't mean they're not true.

Nolan debunked the 'Miranda is Talia' rumors, and look what happened there.

Quote:
"Despair is for people who know beyond any doubt what the future is going to be. Nobody's in that position. So despair is not only a kind of sin - theologically - it's also a simple mistake, because nobody actually knows." - Dr. Patrick Curry
Quote:
"There is no "supposed to be." It's an adaptation, a word that literally means change. Why bother making a new version if it doesn't offer a fresh approach?" - Christopher L. Bennett
Old 02-06-2014, 05:09 AM   #13
Darkness Falls
The Right Amount Of Dirty

really not liking the rumors surrounding this film, remaining optimistic til something official comes out

Better Call Saul
Old 02-06-2014, 05:09 AM   #14
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
Hey, I'm simply saying that from what we have seen thus far, and from what we had in the first two movies. They tend to be leaning towards the UFF. YOUNGER people tend to have some of the inherent characteristics that they will keep into adulthood, but if they are going from the very beginning, as in an "origin" movie from the UFF, then he will be younger, and his father will be totally different, his upbringing different, and in later issues he is FAR more than a a**hole. There are some differences in the young Reed of UFF, and the adult Reed of 616. Just saying...
I'm okay with a younger cast, but personally (and it's just an opinion, not saying other opinions aren't valid) I don't think Miles teller can play even a young Reed. Look back to the scenes Kirby and Lee did of Reed, Doom and Ben in college and Reed in WWII. That was a young Reed, but still a Reed with the self-assurance and confidence. As you point out, UFF took great liberties with the characters beyond simply making them younger. It completely changed their nature and dynamic.

And I don't want to overstate the a**hole element, but I think it should be there lingering beneath the surface. These shouldn't be idealized characters, they should feel real, and someone who is as smart as Reed won't be as patient as social graces say he should be with people who are far less intelligent than him.

I just see a lot of gold in the 50 years of history. Obviously some stories and writers worked better than others, but I don't like throwing away the50 years that defined the characters for one writer's 'reinvention' of the group.

We still know very little and I am trying to withhold judgment, but if they do base this movie on that one, weak imagining of the characters rather than the much broader, richer history, I'll be disappointed. There's no way around that.

Old 02-06-2014, 05:30 AM   #15
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

To quote part of the song 'I Must Go On' from Frank Wildhorn's Jekyll & Hyde, "Things are not wrong just because they are new".

To touch on my earlier comment again, I find it completely baffling and more than a little exasperating that there is apparently no such thing as 'creative/artistic license' when it comes to the Fantastic Four, at least in the minds of many, even though, simply because of the nature of the comics medium, there's never been a single 'creative vision' for the characters (if there were, they would've disappeared when their original creators stopped working on/with them).

I understand that people are going to have their own individual preferences, but there's a difference between having a preference and pissing on an idea for no other reason than that it doesn't match said preference, and the latter is what I've seen a whole lot of with regards to this entire FF reboot project.

I don't have a particular 'dog in this fight' one way or the other, but do find it stifling and disappointing to come here and find endless complaining rather than actual discussion.

Quote:
"Despair is for people who know beyond any doubt what the future is going to be. Nobody's in that position. So despair is not only a kind of sin - theologically - it's also a simple mistake, because nobody actually knows." - Dr. Patrick Curry
Quote:
"There is no "supposed to be." It's an adaptation, a word that literally means change. Why bother making a new version if it doesn't offer a fresh approach?" - Christopher L. Bennett
Old 02-06-2014, 06:29 AM   #16
wobbly
Occasional Scribbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randal Graves View Post
Not a surprise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox1 View Post
They are not obligated too release anything.
True, but given the bad feeling being left by these rumours I would think they would be better served releasing something official sooner rather than later. If what they are doing is going to be fan pleaser then there's no reason to be so hush hush about it all, so it stands to reason that a lot of fans are concerned they are holding back because whatever the truth is here might not be much better than what we have been hearing.

It's up to them of course though. Maybe they see the bad rumours as still being a positive (no such thing as bad publicity mentality) and when the official news comes in we'll all be pleasantly surprised. We will have to just wait & see.

Old 02-06-2014, 06:47 AM   #17
Dr Tactics
Ill Brova

How about the reasoning that Fox (and even the most Fox apologist here) knows this movie is most likely a Flop(whether it's critically a good film or not) and they're only making this movie to keep it out of Marvels hands so they can have fun with it. What does it matter to Fox anyway. Actors and Directors have made bad movies and bounced back from them so it doesn't, in the long run, hurt Trank and the cast.

So all these rumors and our complaining is feeding Fox's message to Marvel that we have your property and we can screw it up anyway we like. They can make them all ethnic Pakastani for all they care. They're like "Look Marvel at the pain you're causing your Fans. Look how bad we can ruin this property and still be within the quality clause that You, Marvel, Can't still sue us. Make us a offer and this will all go away or we'll drop this right down the drain and you'll have to wait 8 years to get it back".

From a sadistic point of view, I can see where Fox is coming from..

I'm done complaining at this point. Its is what its gonna be and appreciate what Marvel Studios is putting out and ignore the alternate, negative Marvel Universe that Fox is putting out.

Edit: And no Marvel Studios is not Perfect but the bar is higher creatively and profits per film than ANY other studio with a Marvel IP.. Fact!!!

Last edited by Dr Tactics; 02-06-2014 at 06:53 AM.
Old 02-06-2014, 07:51 AM   #18
Zarex
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigificWriter View Post
To quote part of the song 'I Must Go On' from Frank Wildhorn's Jekyll & Hyde, "Things are not wrong just because they are new".

To touch on my earlier comment again, I find it completely baffling and more than a little exasperating that there is apparently no such thing as 'creative/artistic license' when it comes to the Fantastic Four, at least in the minds of many, even though, simply because of the nature of the comics medium, there's never been a single 'creative vision' for the characters (if there were, they would've disappeared when their original creators stopped working on/with them).

I understand that people are going to have their own individual preferences, but there's a difference between having a preference and pissing on an idea for no other reason than that it doesn't match said preference, and the latter is what I've seen a whole lot of with regards to this entire FF reboot project.

I don't have a particular 'dog in this fight' one way or the other, but do find it stifling and disappointing to come here and find endless complaining rather than actual discussion.
The FF are special. While the rosters of other superhero teams are in a constant state of flux, with the exception of an occasional Shulkie or Medusa stint the FF has appeared in a constant state for over 50 years and have maintained a pretty consistent appearance in comics, animation and film. Because the look of the team has been so ingrained in the minds of longtime fans, any radical variation from this classic design is jarring to a much greater degree than any adjustments to the X-Men and Avengers roster. Creative/artistic license is fine, but if an artist is using it to "fix" a problem that doesn't exist, fans have a responsibility to protest.

Old 02-06-2014, 07:56 AM   #19
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
Not a surprise.

True, but given the bad feeling being left by these rumours I would think they would be better served releasing something official sooner rather than later. If what they are doing is going to be fan pleaser then there's no reason to be so hush hush about it all, so it stands to reason that a lot of fans are concerned they are holding back because whatever the truth is here might not be much better than what we have been hearing.

It's up to them of course though. Maybe they see the bad rumours as still being a positive (no such thing as bad publicity mentality) and when the official news comes in we'll all be pleasantly surprised. We will have to just wait & see.
Some of the rumors have been so wacky, I have found myself wondering if they were floating terrible rumors so we'd be happy with the bad reality.

But I think it's more likely that everything really is as sloppy as it seems.

While I don't think it's a 'positive', I think the negative will be minimal. If they announce a great cast next week, what will we be thinking 3 months from now? If everything from here on sounds great, I don't think we'll be hung up on how bad the rumors sounded.

I'm not overly concerned with the fact that bad names are being mentioned (though I'm starting to see more and more rumors about Teller and that's disappointing if true), nearly as much as I'm concerned that no good names are being mentioned.

Will they spring some great names on us at the last minute? Hopefully, but it seems unlikely at this point.

Old 02-06-2014, 08:02 AM   #20
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigificWriter View Post

Its really not just the fantastic four.... Every property that has iconic status and has been around decades is going to get this reaction. A good majority don't want to see an interpretation with an artistic flare. They want to see the characters they know and love brought to the big screen . To feel real, to feel like they do exist.

They don't want to see something they're unfamiliar with. That's human nature.

I do think if a story has been done to death (batman for instance) that has had a pretty good run as well as been portrayed faithful to the books... Then sure. Feel free to mix utter up. But for those who have not been handled well... Don't make yet another reboot that feels unfamiliar and wrong

DING DONG DOMA IS DEAD and PROP 8 has been slayed June 26th, 2013
[=]

Last edited by spideyboy_1111; 02-06-2014 at 08:23 AM.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:06 AM   #21
Lightning Strykez!
Former Mod On Pension Pay

If Jordan lands this role solely because he's tight with Trank...well, there aren't enough words to describe that level of disgusting favoritism.

Any director who is willing to compromise a 50 year old standard (thereby angering millions of fans) to "get his boy in" loses my respect. Honor your craft--not your personal ties.

Old 02-06-2014, 08:10 AM   #22
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarex View Post
The FF are special. While the rosters of other superhero teams are in a constant state of flux, with the exception of an occasional Shulkie or Medusa stint the FF has appeared in a constant state for over 50 years and have maintained a pretty consistent appearance in comics, animation and film. Because the look of the team has been so ingrained in the minds of longtime fans, any radical variation from this classic design is jarring to a much greater degree than any adjustments to the X-Men and Avengers roster. Creative/artistic license is fine, but if an artist is using it to "fix" a problem that doesn't exist, fans have a responsibility to protest.

I, and I believe most here are fine with revisions and updates. Those happen all the time and are necessary. It's when we start hearing rumors that the characters will be changed to the point of being unrecognizable that there's a problem.

We all like new things. We read new books and watch films based on new characters all the time. But if a movie studio wants to cash in on our love of specific characters, they need to give us those characters. It's not a complicated concept. If you tell someone you're going to sell them an apple, sell them an apple. If you tell them you're going to sell them an apple and then replace it with an orange, they're going to be understandably pissed. Nothing against oranges. Oranges are great. It's a matter of giving people what you tell them you're going to give them.

Calling a film Fantastic Four just to cash in on the name and then giving us something completely different is fraud.

Old 02-06-2014, 08:11 AM   #23
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideyboy_1111 View Post
Its really not just the fantastic four.... Every property that has iconic status and has been around decades is going to get this reaction. A good majority don't want to see an interpretation with an artistic flare. They want to see the characters they know and love brought to the big screen . To feel real, to feel like they do exist.

They don't want to see something they're unfamiliar with. That's human nature.

I do think uf a story has been done to death (batman for instance) that has had a pretty good run as well as been portrayed faithful to the books... Then sure. Feel free to mix utter up. But for those who have not been handled well... Don't make yet another reboot that feels unfamiliar and wrong

Old 02-06-2014, 08:11 AM   #24
Dasher10
Side-Kick

Wait, Annihilus as the villain? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ll1K...oQ&app=desktop

GOOD. Lucia Von Bardas has all of three fans.

Old 02-06-2014, 08:16 AM   #25
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning Strykez! View Post
If Jordan lands this role solely because he's tight with Trank...well, there aren't enough words to describe that level of disgusting favoritism.

Any director who is willing to compromise a 50 year old standard (thereby angering millions of fans) to "get his boy in" loses my respect. Honor your craft--not your personal ties.
I'm not in love with Jordan, but I'm okay with Jordan under the right circumstances.

Jordan as Johnny and Jon Hamm as Reed? Yeah, that could work and might be interesting to see.

Jordan as Johnny and Miles Teller as Reed? Absolutely not. The dynamic's completely off. Reed needs to be the leader, not the goofy side-kick.